Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,996,989 Views | 224169 Replies | Last: 48 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
claym711
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
VIX getting pretty low
oldarmy1
AG
My first SPY puts filled. I am not able to watch the markets while in Honduras but had 4 levels of Puts plugged in based on the 17500 DOW mark.

Hopefully we don't tank on quadruple witching before I can get positioned.
OA_02
AG
Well. Touching 17.6. Everyone still feeling strong we're headed the other direction? The Bulls are on a tear.
Bonfire1996
AG
It was discussed on the radio this morning that the Bulls are off and running based upon the "open jobs" report that shows companies have over 5 Million positions unfilled at the moment. I would need a lot more context on that.

1. What companies
2. What positions
3. Pay rate
4. Weekly hours needed per job

I think you would find that a majority of those are low skill part time jobs, and that still points to bad news.
jh0400
AG
My company (software) of 1,100 has approximately 55 open positions at the moment, but there is a skills gap in our local area that is prohibiting us from filling a lot of them. We can hire on the west coast, but costs per HC are considerably higher and productivity is lower due to a) the lack of f2f interaction b) the four hours per day that are lost due to time differences.
SlackerAg
AG
Apple scheduled for new product announcements on Monday, which could be an S&P & Dow bullish catalyst since AAPL is a large weighted component.
bmks270
AG
I haven't taken time to dig into the charts, but I do think some good entries may be lining up from watching this week's prices.
aggiemetal
AG
loading guns on long VXX (volatility vehicle) verticals staggered over several weeks up to a month out

meaning using options to basically buy time to be right on at least some modest correction in the market or even some decent liquidity breaks here and there and the accompanying pop in volatility from either

oldarmy1
AG
So while out of the country the Fed backed off interest rates and gave the rally a nice little excitement flash above 17500 for a day. Let's see if they can hold it Monday. As far as fills go I have a fill today on the VIX at $14. Remember my previous post target saying the VIX at $14 is a buy? Well I bought and bought big. No where to hide if I'm wrong.

I'll study everything over the weekend to determine entry positions based on early market action. Also remember I like to only enter short trades when I have confirmation of the top and, even then, on the down-slope. Sometimes that makes shorts hard to enter so I'll buy a quick put option that I can convert into a short sell. Little concerned that NFLX didn't break out on this entire run. I really want it closer to $118 for short entry which would mean a little higher on the current market move.

I'll give a list of stocks and target entries this weekend but we'll need to see the reversal top before going in other than some of these posted puts and the VIX buy.
Post removed:
by user
gam 15
AG
Well...
CW2011
AG
quote:
Well...

X2
oldarmy1
AG
Still watching for the top. The feds dovish chatter certainly is giving the markets extra fuel on an already momentum market setting. That will always take you outside of channels. Big gap this morning on even more fed talk will be watched closely. I'll post when the top is in.

Fed talk is always entertaining. They straight up are saying the economy sucks - but free money is intoxicating.
Bonfire1996
AG
quote:
Still watching for the top. The feds dovish chatter certainly is giving the markets extra fuel on an already momentum market setting. That will always take you outside of channels. Big gap this morning on even more fed talk will be watched closely. I'll post when the top is in.

Fed talk is always entertaining. They straight up are saying the economy sucks - but free money is intoxicating.

And you have Moodys out there saying, "How can our economy suck so bad when the President says job creation is awesome?"

It is baffling. If Greenspan were in charge, he would certainly characterize this as "irrational exuberance". Lots of money to be made when Old Army calls this top. This particular correction should be swift and deep, because we never should have recovered any of the late2015/early2016 losses as there was no fundamental reason to.
Post removed:
by user
oldarmy1
AG
Nikkei dropped 500 points.
Ogre09
AG
I'll play. Say when to sell.
Bird Poo
AG
oldarmy1
AG
Love it. I'm your Huckleberry.
tlepoC
AG
Was today the day? Because I acted as if the signal was given despite no definitive signal being given
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Was today the day? Because I acted as if the signal was given despite no definitive signal being given
I hope you play-acted. Maybe a pullback from the obvious resistance back to previous secondary highs. Not "the end" yet.
oldarmy1
AG
BTW - if you are option traders I love taking the cheap weekly Puts once we have hit the resistance on a Monday - just in case confirmation comes in. I like Monday down days to take the position obviously because it gives me the entire 4 remaining days for a bigger move.

For example you could grab April 8th 200.50 Strike Price SPY Puts for $.06 cents. Buy 10 which is leveraging 1000 Spy shares for a whopping $60. When the top does come the drop is precipitous and you can convert those into short shares.

I'll take 1000 Put Options multiple times. As long as I've marked resistance I have a 50% "hit rate" on at least a pull back. Currently I have 1000 Puts at that $.06 mark and if we get a decent pullback to send them to $.13 then I take 500 off the table and hold the rest while getting the larger market read.
tlepoC
AG
Getting out not getting in
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Getting out not getting in
Ah....agree that if you've ridden the bounce all the way to today then getting out was a good move. I've been out for a while cause grabbing a 1400 bounce move was my target. I never get caught up on being in until the bitter end of a move. In fact I love selling into buying much more than chasing the bid down.

oldarmy1
AG
Sold to close 500 of the 1000 Put Spy Options at $.18. from a $.06 entry. Woot!
Ogre09
AG
Can you translate to English for a noob?

Also, I'm sitting on VTSMX that I dollar cost averaged into all last year. Is it going to drop? Should I sell? Should I keep sitting on it? Looks like it's going up still. Don't really need the money any time soon, mostly just playing with it.
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Can you translate to English for a noob?

Also, I'm sitting on VTSMX that I dollar cost averaged into all last year. Is it going to drop? Should I sell? Should I keep sitting on it? Looks like it's going up still. Don't really need the money any time soon, mostly just playing with it.
Translation is the 1000 options cost $6k and were valued at $18k at the open so I sold 500 or $9k taken out with 500 remaining. Options move very quickly and move against you just as quickly if you are incorrect on the buy. Also the sideways market can erode the time value since these options expire this Friday.

As for VTSMX fund. It's made a great move up with the majority of its holdings rising with the market bounce. If it were me I would have been out a couple of dollars ago because I don't attempt to enter at absolute bottom or exit at absolute tops. I swing trade and believe we are closing in on the market top. That is in terms of value not timing. We could quite easily move sideways for some time before breaking down. However, the actual value of holdings going sideways for the risk of the eventual failure isn't where I like to be a holder.
Post removed:
by user
Ogre09
AG
SPY is S&P 500? You previously locked in a buy price, the value of the right to that buy price went up (demand for that price went up because market went up or buyers think it will?), and you sold the right to buy?

I sold the VTSMX. Had a small positive gain on it. So now I sit on the cash and wait to jump back in?
Ragoo
AG
We will see how this trade ultimately plays out but I sold NFLX covered calls at $5/share with a 4/22 expiration and strike price of $103, leading up through earnings. I sold them back when the shares had dipped down to like $98. My cost basis on the shares is $102.38, so a $103 strike price doesn't net me much return but the $5 covered call premium makes the break even at $108. So about a 5% return over a month if I get called out, currently in the money. I will still be holding some shares if the stock continues to climb so my return can go up some.
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
SPY is S&P 500? You previously locked in a buy price, the value of the right to that buy price went up (demand for that price went up because market went up or buyers think it will?), and you sold the right to buy?

I sold the VTSMX. Had a small positive gain on it. So now I sit on the cash and wait to jump back in?
Sit on cash if you aren't a multi-functional trader who can trade the eventual down cycle.
oldarmy1
AG
Sold VIX $13.56 buys at $15.30. VIX at $14 or under continues to be the gift that keeps on giving.
aggiemetal
AG
great play man

I've been doing more quick stuff with /ES (S&P futures) and actually more bullish lately, just not fighting price at the moment, even today when we had some pullback (minor to the overall move and while taking or bouncing from overnight lows really couldn't buld any value there) I was able to make some quick hitter wins on bounces (not saying it's easy but when we have this predictable struggle to take out lows it's there for the take) playing with the value area thing for more definite trades is paying nicely in both directions while waiting for this overbought, manipulated piece of crap to finally rollover hard for us. Anyways it's a departure from my usual bread and butter (I usually hate buying options --my primary game is selling naked premium calls/puts in high implied volatility stocks, AMZN being my main vehicle other that /ES or SPX---b/c they not only have to go your way they need to do it decisively and fairly quick before time decay which works great for premium/options sellers kills you by deteriorating the price--- but it's paid nicely and helped BETA weight (balance positive and negative deltas) limiting impact of my long volatility losses while I keep setting up for a decent sized liquidation break in this market.

for the record oldarmy has been my mentor for about 4 years but there are many ways to successfully skin a cat in this game. He's heavy technical analysis I use more of a quant approach to playing the probabilities of options. That said, when the market is getting weird and I want to clean up on direction I'm calling oldarmy and get back to tech analysis that works for me as I mentioned above.
aggiemetal
AG
quote:
"Sold VIX $13.56 buys at $15.30. VIX at $14 or under continues to be the gift that keeps on giving."

great play man

I've been doing more quick stuff with /ES (S&P futures) and actually more bullish lately, just not fighting price at the moment, even today when we had some pullback (minor to the overall move and while taking or bouncing from overnight lows really couldn't buld any value there) I was able to make some quick hitter wins on bounces (not saying it's easy but when we have this predictable struggle to take out lows it's there for the take) playing with the value area thing for more definite trades is paying nicely in both directions while waiting for this overbought, manipulated piece of crap to finally rollover hard for us. Anyways it's a departure from my usual bread and butter (I usually hate buying options --my primary game is selling naked premium calls/puts in high implied volatility stocks, AMZN being my main vehicle other that /ES or SPX---b/c they not only have to go your way they need to do it decisively and fairly quick before time decay which works great for premium/options sellers kills you by deteriorating the price--- but it's paid nicely and helped BETA weight (balance positive and negative deltas) limiting impact of my long volatility losses while I keep setting up for a decent sized liquidation break in this market.

for the record oldarmy has been my mentor for about 4 years but there are many ways to successfully skin a cat in this game. He's heavy technical analysis I use more of a quant approach to playing the probabilities of options. That said, when the market is getting weird and I want to clean up on direction I'm calling oldarmy and get back to tech analysis that works for me as I mentioned above.
aggiemetal
AG
quote:
"Sold VIX $13.56 buys at $15.30. VIX at $14 or under continues to be the gift that keeps on giving."

great play man

First Page Last Page
Page 14 of 6405

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.