Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,521,362 Views | 223303 Replies | Last: 45 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
pfo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"A Dozen Safe and Solid Dividend Stocks" is the title of a current Barron's article that may interest you.

Some of the highlighted stocks are:

Kraft Heinz
Qualcomm
Merek
Target
Johnson and Johnson
3M
Eli Lilly
Valero
Emerson
leoj
AG
pfo said:

"A Dozen Safe and Solid Dividend Stocks" is the title of a current Barron's article that may interest you.

Some of the highlighted stocks are:

Kraft Heinz
Qualcomm
Merek
Target
Johnson and Johnson
3M
Eli Lilly
Valero
Emerson

Thanks. I'm long qcom and tgt, but have a pretty low cost basis on both, not sure they are buys at the current level.

Jnj, 3m, and kraft are all interesting ones for sure. Valero was but I believe it's run up already.
oldarmy1
AG
Italy. Bah!
IrishTxAggie
AG
Edit:

Sorry. Read an older article.
FriscoKid
AG
I don't see a lot of support here. It looks like a bounce off of the descending old triangle that was previous resistance. We already broke through the S3 pivot point level easily. If the wedge breaks it's going to fall a while IMO.
aggiehunter3
AG
Quick somebody dig up the "stock market sucks" thread...should have closed my option positions before the 3 day weekend!
gougler08
AG
Down we go
FriscoKid
AG
267.8 is actually pretty good support now. We bounced off LOD already or it's going to be a really rough day.
leoj
AG
At least micron is hanging in there
oldarmy1
AG
leoj said:

At least micron is hanging in there
And ON so far. ON had just broken above strong resistance after 2 big volume days. If markets come back expect ON to run.
FriscoKid
AG
2652 is a long way down...

That would be ~900 point day for the DOW too percentage wise.
aggiehunter3
AG
tough day for the financials
FriscoKid
AG
Ceramic caps are going on allocation... 26 weeks for Murata...

(These cost less than a penny a piece and make up more than 50% of circuit board BOM usually.)

I don't know how this plays out, but I could see tech taking a major nose dive next QT. Something is going to give and I don't think either is good for tech.

1) Supply problems cause delays in shipping new finished goods.

2) Someone steps up production and charges more.

If there was one thing I thought would never ever go on allocation it would be ceramic capacitors.
corndog04
AG
FriscoKid said:

Ceramic caps are going on allocation... 26 weeks for Murata...

(These cost less than a penny a piece and make up more than 50% of circuit board BOM usually.)

I don't know how this plays out, but I could see tech taking a major nose dive next QT. Something is going to give and I don't think either is good for tech.

1) Supply problems cause delays in shipping new finished goods.

2) Someone steps up production and charges more.

If there was one thing I thought would never ever go on allocation it would be ceramic capacitors.

Certainly caught us off-guard at work. We are scrambling to try to find alts.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Rather interesting. Were they not ramping up following the trend of fabs?
Bonfire1996
AG
Does this primarily affect semis?
FriscoKid
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Rather interesting. Were they not ramping up following the trend of fabs?
No, the fabs are completely different. Resistors and capacitors are low low tech. I heard part of the story on why some companies stopped making them, but was shocked so I didn't really hear the full story. I know who to call though to get more details...

I could see companies unable to deliver products on time though until the the industry figures this out. It's kind of like a home builder that can get everything to build the house except for the "10 penny" nails.
gougler08
AG
SN up 8% today, is oil driving that or something else?
tailgatetimer10
AG
I know where they fall on the supply chain. And I've heard of tightness in chip cap supply... I'm assuming this is the same thing you're referencing?
oldarmy1
AG
The Russell 2000 is breaking out for another run. IWM or IWN
FriscoKid
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

I know where they fall on the supply chain. And I've heard of tightness in chip cap supply... I'm assuming this is the same thing you're referencing?
yeah, it's MLCCs...

And I just got more of the story FWIW. One of the big manufacturers is pulling out of commodities (caps, inductors, resistors, etc) And, it's kind of a run on the bank thing. Demand is up about 20% this year and people are scared that they won't be able to buy them so they are buying up what they can and that creates even more shortages.
Ranger222
AG
There was a big seller of QQQ yesterday......over $200 million sold. Who knows if that was general market fear, profit taking, or maybe something on the horizon like you are referring to Frisco
aggiehunter3
AG
aggiehunter3 said:

aggiehunter3 said:

aggiehunter3 said:

oldarmy1 said:

AggiePeeps06 said:

Couldn't you just sell calls against the holding instead of selling the actual holding?

I'd hate to sell 50% and miss out on a continued rally
Depends on the number of shares you planned to carry longer term. If you have 300 shares then you wouldn't do a thing. If you owned 10k shares you might sell a covered call against 25%-50% of your holdings. When you accumulated 145k shares with a goal of holding 50k longer term you do any of the above, including straight selling, up to 95k shares.
What would be your strategy on LEAP calls? I started trading options in February, so still pretty new. I've mainly bought only weeklies or a couple weeks out so far. My basic strategy for exiting is to sell 50% at a double + commission in order to take all risk off. The tricky thing for me is determining my sells for the other half of the positions. I've caught some big runners in recent weeks (baba, aapl, bidu, chk), but have had a tendency to sell a little early.

Here's an example with CHK: last month - I made a small bet 100 contracts $4 strike 7/20 expiration .10 premium when the stock was trading around $3. Earlier this week I sold 50 contracts at .24, I sold another 20 contracts at .53, so now I have 30 contracts remaining. Even if these expire worthless I'll net $1k gain off the trade. Of course I'm sitting here kicking myself now for selling the first half so soon, as I missed out on ~$2k on the spike to .7 this morning.

Remaining calls are now .84 from my .1 entry with 2 months until expiration. I love options.

My other open option positions:
1. 1/18/19 EPD $30 calls .80 premium (large call sweepers in these calls- 25k open interest following "smart" money)
2. 6/15 CL $65 .35 premium (looking for an oversold bounce)
3. 7/20 LPSN $20 .5 premium (overbought chart but in breakout mode - looking for continued momo into next q earnings)
4. 5/25 XLI $77 .1 premium - sold half today at .25 chart busted through lower high resistAnce

Update on positions:
1. EPD hammered with oil this morning and calls down 25%, not too worried, since they're leaps
2. CL upgraded this morning PT $72 calls are sitting .65 with 3 weeks til expiration
3. LPSN - these calls are getting no volume, so sitting breakeven
4. XLI - sold the other half breakeven
5. Entered into 6/15 AAPL 190s $2.05 premium - chart still looks great and calls up 30%
6. Entered into 6/15 EA 135s $1.30 premium - chart flagging very similar to aapl and been range bound with 135 resistance and tons of support at 130. Looking for it to break out of the box

Update on positions:
1. EPD nice bounce back and calls now up 20% plan to hold this position LT
2. Sold half CL today +110% all risk is off so will hold through exp
3. LPSN up 25% still no volume
4. AAPL bs downgrade today held it down. Super tight bull flag, so I still think they pay by exp
5. Sold EA -10% yesterday on the market tank
Ranger222
AG
In those same AAPL calls as you. Red at the moment, but I was worried we'd be deeper in the hole after that downgrade. Held its own. BABA and JD also frustrating.

Entered two new longs today -- Grubhub (GRUB) and Intuitive Surgical (ISRG)

Have been wanting to jump into IQ on a pullback but it keeps going
leoj
AG
Trump is about to impose tariffs on Canada, Mexico, and the Eu. Plus going after foreign automakers.
oldarmy1
AG
Between SQ and JD the markets are buying SQ. It's looking to break to new trend highs. I own both thinking whichever comes out on top will be a 10 bagger. JD is right at major support so anyone entering has a crystal clear stop loss opening.

You can see that last gap down flashed down below major support but then filled the gap. That's the JD option trade I posted and exited. Can it hold major support or are the markets already placing all their bets on SQ? The good news is this is a "planted" stock - meaning net free holding. So is SQ. Let the games begin!

FriscoKid
AG
Tariffs are back on...

Let's see how this goes, but Tuesday's low is pretty important IMO. Big sell off below that would be trouble.

Edit: S&P dropped 12 points after the tariffs were announced and market went from nice open to gap down...
FriscoKid
AG
pre-market GUESS (I wouldn't enter a trade off of it)...

Fill the gap from yesterday and to pivot point support level around 269.2 then bounce pretty hard and close down slightly.

oldarmy1
AG
FriscoKid said:

pre-market GUESS (I wouldn't enter a trade off of it)...

Fill the gap from yesterday and to pivot point support level around 269.2 then bounce pretty hard and close down slightly.

Corrected

The gap down from Friday was filled yesterday . What happens now with all the news turmoil who knows whats next. Still a sideways period of thin Thin THIN trading.
FriscoKid
AG
Yeah, I'm looking at that big one from yesterday's open
oldarmy1
AG
CLF bucking the trend and approaching resistance like a rocket.
oldarmy1
AG
You can see JD holding major support even as markets retreat. That's an easy trade in terms of clear stop loss set at $34.50
tailgatetimer10
AG
I was holding a bunch of SQ that I've accumulated since the 20s, after reading your comments I'm going to migrate some of the gains to JD as well
FriscoKid
AG
Pretty sloppy right now.

Nasdaq is trying to lead but DOW is a boat anchor.
oldarmy1
AG
"I" continues to rocket. Good grief what a move.
First Page Last Page
Page 134 of 6381

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.