Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,001,125 Views | 224169 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Brian Earl Spilner
thirdcoast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today Trump made this economic statement- "if we weren't doing well the market would'nt be where it is today"...."I think we are going to top those previous record high levels soon".

Feels a bit like deja vu or a Trump sig on print out of stock market daily record.
WoMD
Unless there's a legitimate cure there's no logical way you can NOT expect this.
ProgN
thirdcoast said:

Today Trump made this economic statement- "if we weren't doing well the market would'nt be where it is today"...."I think we are going to top those previous record high levels soon".

Feels a bit like deja vu or a Trump sig on print out of stock market daily record.
Personally, I expect a short term pullback, but I think the markets will set all time highs in Q4.
Ragoo
AG
Prognightmare said:

thirdcoast said:

Personally, I expect a short term pullback, but I think the markets will set all time highs in Q4.
if we go back to ATH that quick it is because more dollars are flowing into S&P500 revenues versus small businesses.
ProgN
True, and the market will be focusing on 2021 earnings. The amount of liquidity that's going to flow into this market is unprecedented. The caveat being if the US shuts down again with another flare up. I don't think Trump will shut the economy down again. Estimates will be lower and easier to beat. This will create a hyper bubble but you either trade it and profit or fight it, because "this shouldn't be happening because it does make sense" and lose. I'm still positioned for a short term drop but if it doesn't start pretty quick, I may take my loss and wait to regroup. Everyday that this market goes higher, the odds of a "V" recovery come into play. FOMO will send this market to ATHs imo.
thirdcoast
AG
If we open up in May and the real the brunt of impact is limited to travel associated biz, then maybe the Fed over-reacted in same way Cuomo did with ventaliators. If future data shows CV19 antibodies are prevalent in the population, then the entire ordeal is significantly de-risked and all those actions in heat of moment may have been too much. That's a bullish perspective, the counter bearish outlook is that this cash will be micromanaged by regulators to ensure corporations are hamstringed into prioritizing employment over shareholders.
ProgN
Remove the companies that will tap the fed for a bailout from the equation. What about the companies that have solid balance sheets? You don't think they will get loans at .25-.50 and buyback their own stock? Management would be foolish if they didn't.
Carlo4
AG
khaos288 said:

Prognightmare said:

Come on Texas

Lord I hope that doesn't end with a second wave of craziness.
Texas closed it's doors when the nation had about 10,000 positive cases a day on the rise (on or about 3/23 or 3/24). This was a week after most companies went to working from home that could do so.

Let's assume we hit the peak on 4/7 (16 days later), which the data suggests we did as a nation. If we follow suit on the other end in the same manner, 10,000 positive cases a day on the fall would be 4/23 if the rise and fall are roughly equal. However... you don't want to open back up at a number that caused you to fall. Add an extra week to it and call it 5/1.

Seems to make sense with the math on the low hit states. Not sure how many cases per million or population density you would use as a threshold. If it was under 1,000 cases per million, then you could release 28 states today, including Texas and California. The rest plus DC would be on lockdown for another month or more, depending on severity.

Let the states decide. Cities decided back in the pandemic of 1918 with good, and dire, consequences. With today's fast traveling world, seems statewide makes more sense.

Brewmaster
AG

this is from badharambe (a poster here), interesting comparison and take...he's a great twitter follow too, knows his stuff.
khaos288
AG
Totally agree with all of the analysis. My only concern is the viability and accuracy of the numbers at present. Dallas for instance still only has two test sites open, and they have reportedly very long lines (more and better testing may show some people infected asymptomatically, or some people who thought they had flu were actually infected, or potentially some deaths un-tested may have be infected. That could skew the numbers positive or negative). I'm an uber conservative when it comes to risk taking though (please disregard my gambling on options with 2% of my portfolio haha).

Best case scenario, numbers are accurate, real local economies starts to rebound (not the market, as that seems to be holding this rally with fed funny money), and we start finding the new normal.

Worst case scenario, numbers aren't quite right, and models weren't quite accurate either. We end up in another lockdown, and panic sets in with people who think we'll rebound cases every time we lift. New normal gets harder to find.

I'm sure it will be somewhere in the middle, but if the fed is going to print money to keep it all together, might as well take an extra couple weeks to make sure the data is right. That's my mind set, but I understand the arguments both ways.
gougler08
AG
khaos288 said:

Totally agree with all of the analysis. My only concern is the viability and accuracy of the numbers at present. Dallas for instance still only has two test sites open, and they have reportedly very long lines (more and better testing may show some people infected asymptomatically, or some people who thought they had flu were actually infected, or potentially some deaths un-tested may have be infected. That could skew the numbers positive or negative). I'm an uber conservative when it comes to risk taking though (please disregard my gambling on options with 2% of my portfolio haha).

Best case scenario, numbers are accurate, real local economies starts to rebound (not the market, as that seems to be holding this rally with fed funny money), and we start finding the new normal.

Worst case scenario, numbers aren't quite right, and models weren't quite accurate either. We end up in another lockdown, and panic sets in with people who think we'll rebound cases every time we lift. New normal gets harder to find.

I'm sure it will be somewhere in the middle, but if the fed is going to print money to keep it all together, might as well take an extra couple weeks to make sure the data is right. That's my mind set, but I understand the arguments both ways.

Im on the open up ASAP side for Texas, but agree that it will probably be somewhere in between the two sides of thought (as with most things in life)
Laser Wolf
I just read the last 50 pages of this thread, and I still don't know what y'all are talking about 75% of the time, but I do have a question:

With the announcements regarding several countries cutting back oil production, is now still a good time to buy XOM?
Ragoo
AG
Always is the right time to buy a company like XOM. Especially 50% off.
gougler08
AG
Laser Wolf said:

I just read the last 50 pages of this thread, and I still don't know what y'all are talking about 75% of the time, but I do have a question:

With the announcements regarding several countries cutting back oil production, is now still a good time to buy XOM?

Any of the major O&Gs are a good buy right now. Still 40-50% off their normal levels
khkman22
AG
I was about to email staff to ban you if you asked about the model T.
gougler08
khaos288
AG
I thought for sure that's where that post was going
Aggie Hunter
AG
Can someone inform me how to produce the graph on TD Ameritrade app to show my investments compared to S&P and nyse
AggieKeith15
AG
Thoughts on the 'Reopen America Groups' that was announced today? Does this turn us green tomorrow or do we slide further red? Names are very impressive.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trump-announces-great-american-economic-revival-industry-groups/

lawless89
AggieKeith15 said:

Thoughts on the 'Reopen America Groups' that was announced today? Does this turn us green tomorrow or do we slide further red? Names are very impressive.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trump-announces-great-american-economic-revival-industry-groups/

Green baby
Exsurge Domine
Sweet Jesus that's an impressive list. Love that Home Depot has 3 people in the group
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
What is a group that size going to accomplish? I'm in the f it, reopen the economy camp so that we can prove one group or another wrong.
BB675
AG
I have seen Manic Trading listed on here but was wondering if anyone has tried Motley Fool or Zach's List subscriptions for trading ideas. If so, do you recommend?
khaos288
AG
BB675 said:

I have seen Manic Trading listed on here but was wondering if anyone has tried Motley Fool or Zach's List subscriptions for trading ideas. If so, do you recommend?

Manic is an options trading service. For medium/short term holds, I'd just follow this thread.
gig em 02
$30,000 Millionaire said:

What is a group that size going to accomplish? I'm in the f it, reopen the economy camp so that we can prove one group or another wrong.

Minimize the *****ing when reality hits and we don't open back up.
AgEng06
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

Can someone inform me how to produce the graph on TD Ameritrade app to show my investments compared to S&P and nyse

I use TDA and can't find a way to do this either, so I'm interested.
Brewmaster
AG
There have been over 2000 tested here in BCS and around 100 positive... that's a lot of negatives. My family, including myself and a good buddy of mine are semi convinced we got it early February. I had lung congestion and junk for about a month. I felt pretty good physically though and no fevers that I remember.

I would not at all be surprised if this thing has been around for months longer than what we think.
Laser Wolf
khkman22 said:

I was about to email staff to ban you if you asked about the model T.

I was going to be cute and ask about it, but I thought nawwwww.
krosch11
AG
I work in healthcare , the physicians I work with (mostly south and southwest) are convinced it's been here since early December. Lots of negative flu cases with severe symptoms that they thought was just a mean respiratory cold. The data will be interesting to see when the antibody tests are widely available .
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Since this is entertaining, what's everyone's call for tomorrow? We have more earnings so I will vote against what's logical for me and say we'll be up another 2.5% and we sniff SPY 290. If we do have a down day, it will probably be something underwhelming like -1%.

What's your call?
Laser Wolf
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Since this is entertaining, what's everyone's call for tomorrow? We have more earnings so I will vote against what's logical for me and say we'll be up another 2.5% and we sniff SPY 290. If we do have a down day, it will probably be something underwhelming like -1%.

What's your call?

The entire market does a Model T maneuver causing this thread, and heads, to explode.
Carlo4
AG
I think Nasdaq won't go much above the 61.8% fib retracement, if at all, for a while. It's moved too far, too fast.

That means it will blow by it tomorrow.
gvine07
AG
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas

That's the Washington model that's been referred to a bunch. It says our nation's peak resource demand was on April 10, and projects Texas to have peak resource demand on April 29 (it keeps getting pushed back).

I don't think we'll be first to return to normal, unless we get some warm weather that makes a big difference.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Futures are -0.34%. +5% by 8:30 central?
AggieKeith15
AG
Earlier in the evening my hunch was that tomorrow we'd finish in the red (down 1-2%) but that we would start the day in the green. However since the futures are still down right now I'm feeling a little more pessimistic. I'm leaning towards the spy opening at -0.25% and then going to ~2.7% by close now instead. All just a hunch though.

Initially I thought the release of the 2nd task force and the direct deposits tomorrow were going to be bigger factors, but judging by the futures, it feels like people are fatigued.
First Page Last Page
Page 1313 of 6405

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.