Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,100,037 Views | 224561 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by ProgN
Exsurge Domine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jj9000 said:

Airline bailouts on deck

Airline industry package to be proposed this weekend: coronavirus briefing

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3559879?source=ansh $PFE, $AAL, $UAL, $DAL, $LUV, $JBLU, $AAL, $UAL, $DAL, $LUV, $JBLU, $PFE

You give me $LUV, $LUV, $LUV, $LUV, Crazy $LUV
claym711
AG
iluvpoker said:

claym711 said:

The Fed is opening a SMall business new loan facility through banks. I believe it was 4 year term at near 0% interest. 95% of the loan will be owned by the Fed (read 95% forgivable). Can even be used to pay down principle of other debt!

The loan is not 95%forgivable. What that is referring to is once the bank forecloses on your business for not paying your loans then the bank only needs to recover 5% when they sell your businesses assets to get their money back. The remaining proceeds would go to the fed and the difference between the loan balance and the proceeds would be eaten by the fed.

Clay is trying to make it sound like you can get a $5 million loan, pay off $250k and the fed will just let you off the hook for the remaining $4.75 million. That's not the case. The bank will still foreclose and use the proceeds to pay down as much of the loan balance as possible. And you will be out of business with a major hickey on your credit report.

Neither the Fed nor banks are going to foreclose on any of these crisis loans. That's my conjecture. And well supported by all of their actions thus far. Dollar is going kaput anyways, and we will be out on digital coin held by Fed (legislation already leaked out on this)

These programs, especially PPP, are going to be gamed to the last dollar and much of it will be insolvent from day 1.
Aggie Hunter
AG
I just bought in on some airlines. I think this will be a quick money maker when we are allowed to move about.
claym711
AG
shiphunt said:

Can't wait for the market to somewhat normalize so the Fed haters and conspiracy theorists can leave the thread

Ignorance isn't a good strategy.
Exsurge Domine
Aggie Hunter said:

I just bought in on some airlines. I think this will be a quick money maker when we are allowed to move about.

How?
iluvpoker
Bob Knights Liver said:

Interesting. Do you have a link with more details on loan purpose requirements and such?

Nope. Those paragraphs are from an article today that summarized today's fed actions. My guess is the fine print won't come out until next week from the Fed. My purpose for researching this was to verify Clay's claim that a business could get forgiveness for 95% of the loan. That appears to be false. That appears to help the banks be more aggressive with their loans since they will have a massive fed backstop.

One thing I think I learned is this program isn't for small businesses as the minimum loan is $1MM and it appears even at that level you would need minimum EBITDA to be $250k. So it looks like this program is geared more toward mid-market businesses. Which can probably use the help as they get squeezed sometimes between Wall Street and Main Street. These mid-market businesses are often customers or suppliers of WS and MS. The company that I sold fits in this category, though I don't know if they will look into this program.
ProgN
I posted about the airline buyout at the open today, he probably bought earlier during the day or last few days.
Exsurge Domine
Prognightmare said:

I posted about the airline buyout at the open today, he probably bought earlier during the day or last few days.

Ah I see
Aggie Hunter
AG
I am a rookie for sure, but I bought last Tuesday. I just fill every single sales person from pharmaceutical to pipe to valves and every body in between is going to be getting in buyers face to try and recover. So I dumped a bunch of money in airlines and hotels. Again I am a rookie and taking a risk.
ProgN
Honestly, unless you're buying on margin, there isn't much risk to those purchases at these levels. Margin buying them, I wouldn't recommend.
Aggie Hunter
AG
I took United at $25 and LUV at $32
Aggie Hunter
AG
No I just dumped a bunch of spare cash I had for other purchases I was looking at (land). I figure I can buy the land anytime after this is over. Again not sure if this is a gamble or not but I figured what the hell. I have been watching this thread for weeks just trying to learn and appreciate all the great info here.
AggiePeeps06
AG
https://t.co/DjGHl5ziYF

Https://www.wsj.com/articles/feds-housing-market-concerns-increase-pressure-to-help-mortgage-firms-11586471411
Brewmaster
AG
Prognightmare said:

Touchless said:

I can only imagine how much work I'm actually going to get done tomorrow. What do you do during the week with the market closed?

Channeling my inner Irish,

Hookers and blow.
and good bourbon when you get thirsty!
Brewmaster
AG
claym711 said:

shiphunt said:

Can't wait for the market to somewhat normalize so the Fed haters and conspiracy theorists can leave the thread

Ignorance isn't a good strategy.
didn't sound like ignorance to me, just someone who doesn't want this to wind up as a thread on the Politics board, ugh!
leoj
AG
FrontPorchAg
Aggie Hunter said:

No I just dumped a bunch of spare cash I had for other purchases I was looking at (land). I figure I can buy the land anytime after this is over. Again not sure if this is a gamble or not but I figured what the hell. I have been watching this thread for weeks just trying to learn and appreciate all the great info here.
I'm not saying what you did was a bad move. I would just say that as a self-described newbie you need to have a measuring stick to whether or not your moves were good moves. I use the S&P 500 because it's the most commonly traded index fund.

So the goal of every move or set of moves is, "is this going to beat the S&P over x amount of time"
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
Aggie Hunter
AG
That's great info. This also maybe why my financial advisor told me to do it on my own and he would not include it in my retirement plan. I know it's a gamble but since I can't go to Vegas why the hell not!!!
FrontPorchAg
I don't know if it's gambling or not. The lines sometimes blur. I mean, even blackjack players employ math and strategy.

I absolutely think you will make money in the airlines. The questions for me are how much and over what time horizon.

Now that you are invested the next question is when to sell. I find that deals are easy to find, but when to get off the ride is the hard part. Example being, I bought a $1,000 of Tesla the week of the IPO for $19/ share. I sold all of it at less than $100 because I thought it was way overvalued for a company that continually had production timing issues and still hadn't turned a profit. My blood pressure rises 10 points everytime I see the stock price.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
spud1910
AG
I think Mtn_Guide make some good points. I bought AAL at what I thought was close to the lows. Already up 37% on my small position. Knowing when to sell is gonna be the hard part.
kyledr04
AG
Is there a way to trade options for foreign companies?. Been looking at some of the Euro pharma companies (Roche, Novartis, Bayer) thinking about covid drugs and testing. But can't figure out how to do it. Looks like there aren't options on their ADRs.

I already own Roche shares. Took a beating after they dropped but should have bought more but may get another chance.
moses1084ever
AG
NVS is optionable
PPAag06
AG
FYI, the CDC modifies and extends the Cruise Ship no sail order:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0409-modifications-extension-no-sail-ships.html
ProgN
jj9000
AG
PPAag06 said:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0409-modifications-extension-no-sail-ships.html

Is this a surprise?

Would it be a good idea to let them continue pre CV BAU?
IrishTxAggie
AG
PPAag06 said:

It's kind of good for Trump. Cruises liners will need a bailout and Trump will get them one if they agree to flag their ships out of the US. If they don't, their country of registration can bail them out. No money until they move. No reason to give a corporate bailout to a foreign company. If they go under, someone else will fill the void
azul_rain
this basically opens the floodgates for Big Corp to act stupid and irresponsible because they know they will get bailed out
PPAag06
AG
Not a surprise, just a huge impact on my company.
jj9000
AG
PPAag06 said:

Not a surprise, just a huge impact on my company.

Ahhhh. Sorry to hear that. Hope you are safe in all the chaos.
Ragoo
AG
hedge said:

this basically opens the floodgates for Big Corp to act stupid and irresponsible because they know they will get bailed out
who acted stupid?
claym711
AG
Great point. Wall St and Corps played the game, and won.

Question is, who lost?
azul_rain
well back in 08 it was the big banks, nobody acted stupid now due to the coronavirus but it goes to show that some companies (BOEING) are too big to fail and will get bailed out
azul_rain
taxpayer
GarlandAg2012
AG
hedge said:

It would be stupider for a corporation to have enough cash in hand to survive 3-6 months with no revenue than it is for them to falter because of this.
jj9000
AG
Ragoo said:

hedge said:

who acted stupid?

He's saying that the bailouts and imminent FED intervention will change corporate behavior. Think sub-prime in 2007 where people were buying $800K homes on $25k/yr salaries.

Same concept, just on a broader scale and scope.
First Page Last Page
Page 1287 of 6417

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.