Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,984,305 Views | 224112 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by ProgN
thirdcoast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hedge_zer0 said:

hmm what is the army up too ?

He is waiting for his deposit to go thru so he can get back to influencing the S&P.
YouBet
AG
hedge_zer0 said:

Jade Helm, bro. It's happening.
gougler08
azul_rain
thirdcoast said:

hedge_zer0 said:

He is waiting for his deposit to go thru so he can get back to influencing the S&P.
is he the one known as DOW JONES ?
IrishTxAggie
AG
aggieland09 said:

FYI, army friend called active duty for 6month term of domestic deployment related to corona virus. Also army reserve friend called in for 3 month domestic deployment. Both this week and already on duty. IMO not good news for the market. I lurk this thread and don't post much but thought y'all would want this tip if you hadn't heard already.
Domestic deployment for the army??? Does your friend know what the Insurrection Act is???
RGRAg1/75
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

aggieland09 said:

FYI, army friend called active duty for 6month term of domestic deployment related to corona virus. Also army reserve friend called in for 3 month domestic deployment. Both this week and already on duty. IMO not good news for the market. I lurk this thread and don't post much but thought y'all would want this tip if you hadn't heard already.
Domestic deployment for the army??? Does your friend know what the Insurrection Act is???

Eh, could be COVID test site support or border deployment. Nothing to see here IMO.
Barnyard96
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

aggieland09 said:

wonder if this something related to supply and logisitcs.
IrishTxAggie
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

aggieland09 said:

Eh, could be COVID test site support or border deployment. Nothing to see here IMO.
National Guard =/= Army
Grown Pear
AG
I'm just having a really hard time wrapping my head around this all.

There's just so much unknown: the exponential spread of this virus throughout the U.S., how long we will truly be on "lock down", the immediate effect on business and GDP, unemployment figures, further erosion on business/GDP from unemployment.

This stimulus to me, while I fully support action, seems like we're just desperately throwing duct tape trying to keep the business and the market ok with things. I don't see how this stimulus (and I have ZERO clue on what the answer is) fixes the underlying issues that's going to effect that macro side of this all.

I know the "market is efficient" and must have a lot already priced into things... I just don't see how this thing doesn't take once the true figures (virus cases, EPS, unemployment, GDP, etc) come out. I don't see us getting a good surprise.

Sorry for rant, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this and (1) not panic and trade emotionally, (2) not get sucked into a bull trap, and (3) not take too much of my "long" investments off the table and miss on any rallies or when this turns around.
TheCougarHunter
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

aggieland09 said:

The 2007 Defense Authorization Bill, with over $500 billion allocated to the military, and which also contained the changes to the Insurrection Act of 1807, was passed by a bipartisan majority of both houses of Congress: 398-23 in the House and by unanimous consent in the Senate.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurrection_Act#cite_note-5][5][/url] For military forces to be used under the provisions of the revised Insurrection Act, the following conditions must be met:
Quote:

(1) The President may employ the armed forces, including the National Guard in Federal service, to(A) restore public order and enforce the laws of the United States when, as a result of a natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition in any State or possession of the United States, the President determines that
gougler08
AG
Grown Pear said:

There's just so much unknown: the exponential spread of this virus throughout the U.S., how long we will truly be on "lock down", the immediate effect on business and GDP, unemployment figures, further erosion on business/GDP from unemployment.

This stimulus to me, while I fully support action, seems like we're just desperately throwing duct tape trying to keep the business and the market ok with things. I don't see how this stimulus (and I have ZERO clue on what the answer is) fixes the underlying issues that's going to effect that macro side of this all.

I know the "market is efficient" and must have a lot already priced into things... I just don't see how this thing doesn't take once the true figures (virus cases, EPS, unemployment, GDP, etc) come out. I don't see us getting a good surprise.

Sorry for rant, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this and (1) not panic and trade emotionally, (2) not get sucked into a bull trap, and (3) not take too much of my "long" investments off the table and miss on any rallies or when this turns around.
Take your gains where you can and try to minimize losses on the trading front. If you're truly long (and not close to needing the cash) then leave it alone

Something I have to remind myself of a lot
gig em 02
Probably man power to build temporary hospitals if necessary.
IrishTxAggie
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

IrishTxAggie said:

aggieland09 said:

The 2007 Defense Authorization Bill, with over $500 billion allocated to the military, and which also contained the changes to the Insurrection Act of 1807, was passed by a bipartisan majority of both houses of Congress: 398-23 in the House and by unanimous consent in the Senate.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurrection_Act#cite_note-5][5][/url] For military forces to be used under the provisions of the revised Insurrection Act, the following conditions must be met:
Quote:

(1) The President may employ the armed forces, including the National Guard in Federal service, to(A) restore public order and enforce the laws of the United States when, as a result of a natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition in any State or possession of the United States, the President determines that

Quote:

The new wording of the Act, as amended, still requires the same conditions as worded in Paragraph (2), above, but those conditions could, after the changes, also be a result of
Quote:

natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition
and only if
Quote:

domestic violence has occurred to such an extent that the constituted authorities of the State or possession are incapable of maintaining public order.

TheCougarHunter
AG
True. I'd imagine his "army friend" is actually National Guard. At least I would hope.
RGRAg1/75
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

aggieland09 said:

National Guard =/= Army
National Guard being activated for domestic deployment is common for disaster response. When someone is "called to active duty" that means they are NG or reserve. Nothing to see here.
agdaddy04
AG
Sure wish I would've gone with my gut last week and put some money in PH. They're a major supplier of ours, but didn't know it'd recover that quick.
IrishTxAggie
AG

Big bet for OXY
CaptnCarl
AG
Can you explain the outcomes?
McInnis 03
AG
So, um, too early to say we're not finishing RED today?
McInnis 03
AG
CaptnCarl said:

Somebody is staking $3MM on Oxy getting closer to the $5/share price by September.
Nagler
AG
McInnis 03 said:

McInnis 03
AG
Nagler said:

McInnis 03 said:

I've got some negative delta I need to capitalize on by Friday. Just trying to move the market.
Carlo4
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Nagler said:

McInnis 03 said:

I've got some negative delta I need to capitalize on by Friday. Just trying to move the market.
khkman22
AG
McInnis 03 said:

CaptnCarl said:

Irish bet $3MM on Oxy getting closer to the $5/share price by September and is trying to get others to join in so he can exit and leave them holding the bag.
FIFY
oldarmy1
AG
Harkrider 93 said:

oldarmy1 said:

gougler08 said:

AggieKeith15 said:

Seriously what is with this market?! Down already after agreeing on a big stimulus bill. I don't get it.

This is why we can't have nice things!
The 8% increase yesterday was the stimulus bill (and as someone else noted, most other times there's another drop to come after it's announced)
I think we will have more upside short term but look out after it finds its top.

2792 is Model T on SPX.
278 on SPY

I'd be making plans anywhere around 2700 to take all actions.

p.s. In order for M<odel T to be activiated you have to break $250 on SPY and 2550 SPX

To you, is Model T more accurate than the Fibonacci retracements, which I think is 2650 for the first one?
Absolutelty 100%, no questions asked more accurate as a historical reality. We see it over and over and over. Tested repeatable. One of the wonders of the trading world that most don't pay much attention to also.
austinAG90
AG
Sold some TSLA May calls 900 and 1020. this is a frenzy
jj9000
AG
FYI.

This is a cross-post to a guy trying to get a hold of you in your Protective Mask thread.

I don't think he has the ability to PM.

Good Luck!!

https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/3101519/next
Cromagnum
AG
They put some juicy meat in the bear trap. That's all I gotta say.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
I feel exactly like you. I don't see how we are done to the down side when none of the reports have come in yet. The saying of the market has priced all the bad news in cracks me up. No way that has happened because we don't know the numbers yet. That saying reminds me of the football cliche of teams improve the most from week one to week two. Really ? Ive seen a ton of ****ty week two football.
oldarmy1
AG
Thank you. Email being sent
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gonna be a hell of a two days.
oldarmy1
AG
Such things cause the Model T to win. Overruns on emotion are the nature of the business.
McInnis 03
AG
I just drove around my little part of Houston for lunch. I like to find a nice empty parking lot to listen to the radio and get out of my office. It was a GHOST town today. The "stay at home" orders are having a bit of an effect. I can't see how this doesn't eventually play out. Most specifically those jobless numbers report tomorrow unfortunately I think is going to blow some people socks off.
Touchless
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Harkrider 93 said:

oldarmy1 said:

gougler08 said:

AggieKeith15 said:

Seriously what is with this market?! Down already after agreeing on a big stimulus bill. I don't get it.

This is why we can't have nice things!
The 8% increase yesterday was the stimulus bill (and as someone else noted, most other times there's another drop to come after it's announced)
I think we will have more upside short term but look out after it finds its top.

2792 is Model T on SPX.
278 on SPY

I'd be making plans anywhere around 2700 to take all actions.

p.s. In order for M<odel T to be activiated you have to break $250 on SPY and 2550 SPX

To you, is Model T more accurate than the Fibonacci retracements, which I think is 2650 for the first one?
Absolutelty 100%, no questions asked more accurate as a historical reality. We see it over and over and over. Tested repeatable. One of the wonders of the trading world that most don't pay much attention to also.
I'm still trying to learn this Model T theory. With SPY now up to $255, what would the downside calculate back out to and how quick of a turnaround would you anticipate? 1 day? End of week? Next week some time?
Harkrider 93
AG
Grown Pear said:

I feel your pain. Some things I try to remember:

1. There isn't any model or piece of data that is accurate 100% of the time. There isn't even a set of data that is 100% correct all of the time. Best thing you can do is take all of the data, and make a wise decision based on that data. You may be wrong, but it was still a wise choice. You can only increase your odds of success by doing this.

2. Usually, the market moves up when the rate of bad news slows, not when the bad news stops. This isn't always accurate either. Sometimes, it moves up because the news, while bad, wasn't as bad as they thought it would be. There are plenty of other things that have happened as well.

3. Sometimes the market gets it wrong. This one can never be proven or disproven. After 2008, some bond trading nerds calculated that the bond market priced in a 25-30% bankruptcy. Many safe bonds dropped 10-20% during that time frame (starting to see that again). We didn't get anywhere near that rate of bankruptcy. The market was wrong.

Summary:

Nobody knows if the bottom has been made. Nobody knows if we will retest that bottom. Listen to people who have been pretty accurate in the past, and take their opinions to form yours. At this time, I would think we retest the bottom because most traders think we do. I also know that 2008 was the only time we didn't retest it in the last 10+ corrections (not sure if Dec 2018 counts). Based on those two, I will wait to add more, even though I may be wrong.
First Page Last Page
Page 1192 of 6404

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.