Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,104,910 Views | 224603 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by Spoony Love
claym711
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Weller was flowing last night. Gonna need my gubmint check to restock after being wrong so often :P
deadbq03
AG
30wedge said:

Ragoo said:

barnyard1996 said:

gvine07 said:

Aggie09Derek said:

I saw one where it was tiered but top level was up to 99k

Wasn't it $99k or $198k as a couple? I don't think $1,000 would move the needle much for a couple making $200k
I'm donating whatever I get if I get it.
why? That isn't the purpose of the money. It is so that individuals and families will spend it thus stimulating the consumer sector of the economy.
It wouldn't move the needle much for a couple making $190,000 either. Or $180,000. Or $170,000.

Making a direct deposit or sending a check is a terrible way to stimulate the economy if you are hoping the recipient spends the money. Those at the upper end of the scale noted above will put it in the bank, they don't need it. Those at the bottom of the income scale will, of course. Those in the middle that could use the money but still have some income (one spouse still working, or both working on somewhat reduced hours) will likely save it out of fear of losing their job(s). If they are going this free money route, they need to put it on a debit card with a 30 day expiration and almost every dime will get spent, by rich or poor alike.
I disagree. People saving money gives banks liquidity.

And people with jobs who choose to save this will feel more secure with the savings to continue spending their current salaries instead of tightening their belts further.

So IMO it's beneficial in the short term regardless of what people do with it.
Fitch
AG
The $3000 appears to reference an average family of 4, with two adults getting $1000/ea and $500/ea for kids. That jives with what was being circulated at the end of last week.

And the June timeline is only if we're doing gangbusters on controlling the rate of new infections. I'd submit that's an optimistic scenario.
Barnyard96
AG
Let me restate my position.

I am gainfully employed and have plenty of savings. Blessed beyond anything I deserve. To date I have not changed my spending habits and dont intend to.

I am going to put whatever the government sends me in the hands of needy families. Maybe through my church or maybe directly to a friend or family member or all of the above.

The only thing I haven't decided is how much I intend to match the government payout.

Does anyone really take issue with this plan?

gougler08
AG
jj9000 said:

Oh ****!!!

Mnunchin says lockdown to last 10-12 weeks.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2020-03-22/us-coronavirus-lockdown-to-last-10-12-weeks-top-trump-official-says

The only video I've seen he says that the stimulus package will run for that long not the lockdown...
WestTexAg12
AG
gougler08 said:

jj9000 said:

Oh ****!!!

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2020-03-22/us-coronavirus-lockdown-to-last-10-12-weeks-top-trump-official-says

The only video I've seen he says that the stimulus package will run for that long not the lockdown...

This is why people freak out. Because ****ing news sources can't accurately report the news. He did not say anything about a lockdown, yet they post that stupid ass headline and make people believe it.

God, I hate the media. They really are going to ruin this country.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
gougler08
AG
From the politics board, only video I've seen of the interview so he could have said it some other time, but think this is just disingenuous reporting

jj9000
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

gougler08 said:

jj9000 said:

Oh ****!!!

This is why people freak out. Because ****ing news sources can't accurately report the news. He did not say anything about a lockdown, yet they post that stupid ass headline and make people believe it.

I read the same piece from 2 sources prior to posting.

Then, listened to the full interview with Mnunchin.

If he didn't say 10-12 week lockdown, this is some REALLY REALLY crappy journalism.
gougler08
AG
jj9000 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

gougler08 said:

jj9000 said:

Oh ****!!!

If he didn't say 10-12 week lockdown, this is some REALLY REALLY crappy journalism.

To be fair, it's a vague statement that could probably be interpreted either way (stimulus package or lockdown lasting that long)
MTTANK
AG
Not sure of all the specifics, but we should be getting an announcement from the governor in the next 15 minutes or so. Might make grocery and gas supply much tighter. Just a heads up to my fellow Ags!
GIG 'EM
YouBet
AG
I posted elsewhere but it sounds like the airlines are not getting a bailout. If true, we will see massive layoffs and furloughs this week.
WestTexAg12
AG
gougler08 said:

jj9000 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

gougler08 said:

jj9000 said:

Oh ****!!!

To be fair, it's a vague statement that could probably be interpreted either way (stimulus package or lockdown lasting that long)

Q: What is the timeframe for which this stimulus package is designed to work? Is it 4 weeks, 6 weeks, etc?

A: I would hope this gets passed on Monday, as we need the money now. I would say that we are looking at anywhere from a 10-12 week scenario.

Not a single word of "lockdown". Each news source should be put on blast. In my opinion, this type of **** is very similar to yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater. Any citizen would be charged and prosecuted for causing panic. These idiots should be held accountable in the same manner.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
gougler08
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

gougler08 said:

jj9000 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

gougler08 said:

jj9000 said:

Oh ****!!!

Q: What is the timeframe for which this stimulus package is designed to work? Is it 4 weeks, 6 weeks, etc?

A: I would hope this gets passed on Monday, as we need the money now. I would say that we are looking at anywhere from a 10-12 week scenario.

Not a single word of "lockdown". Each news source should be put on blast. In my opinion, this type of **** is very similar to yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater. Any citizen would be charged and prosecuted for causing panic. These idiots should be held accountable in the same manner.

Yeah but he alludes to mentioning 10 weeks at an earlier part of the interview so may have said something then. Like I said I err on the media fear mongering but I don't have everything either
Boat Shoes
AG
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/22/coronavirus-live-updates-feds-bullard-calls-shutdown-massive-investment-in-public-health.html

Big surprise there.

Edit: Headline was Pelosi says they're not close on agreeing on the stimulus.
YouBet
AG
He was clearly referring to existing lockdown actions taken by local governments.
Boat Shoes
AG
MTTANK said:

Not sure of all the specifics, but we should be getting an announcement from the governor in the next 15 minutes or so. Might make grocery and gas supply much tighter. Just a heads up to my fellow Ags!

Isn't he speaking at 3PM?
ProgN
Bird Poo
AG
YouBet said:

I posted elsewhere but it sounds like the airlines are not getting a bailout. If true, we will see massive layoffs and furloughs this week.
I thought that they were going to get $50 Billion in low interest loans?

On a separate note, what are your thoughts on the industry's stock buybacks? I don't necessarily see how stock buybacks are beneficial to employees that don't hold a lot of their company's stock. But if the company has a good balance sheet and low debt, why inflate the stock price? It does seem to mainly benefit wall street and executives who own and get paid through stock.
ProgN
It helps 401Ks because several funds buy into the stocks. It helps anyone with market exposure.
Carlo4
AG
Hey just like 12 years ago. deja vu
leoj
AG
Yeah, there is no way we are going to have a final stimulus package passed by Congress by even mid week. They are going to fight over this.
Bird Poo
AG
Prognightmare said:

It helps 401Ks because several funds buy into the stocks. It helps anyone with market exposure.
I understand that. However, most employees won't see much benefit if their employer is dumping Billions in stock buy-backs. I suppose it can keep companies from getting taken over/bought by an outside entity? I remember when Buffet was eyeballing purchasing LUV and the company started buying the stock to make the purchase more expensive?
ProgN
HustlerAggie
Prognightmare said:

This is just an opinion piece so I'm still skeptical but it would affect the markets so I'm posting it here.
What did it say? Tweet deleted
Hustle Harder
ProgN
Basically that the Federal government is going to announce a 2 week lockdown. That's contrary to what the administration is saying, so I don't believe the opinion piece to be true.
HustlerAggie
ryanhnc10 said:

HustlerAggie said:

Armyof1975 said:

Sorry, rookie question here.

I have been reading some of this thread and what is "Model T"?
Is that a trading strategy or a stock?
I've actually wondered this for awhile as well. Hopefully someone can answer you.

Model T is the term OA gave it, but it's just a concept that from trough to peak it may rally again after a 50% retracement and from peak to trough it may rally 50% before selling off again
So, like a rule of thumb for individual stocks?
Hustle Harder
gvine07
AG
Prognightmare said:

Basically that the Federal government is going to announce a 2 week lockdown. That's contrary to what the administration is saying, so I don't believe the opinion piece to be true.

I don't think it could be true, either. I've been getting texts that say the government is going to do that everyday for a week.

It's an election year - I can't see Trump doing that. All the affected regions are making that decision anyway.

My common sense hot-take: you can't treat NYC and rural Alaska the same.
ProgN
Exactly
ProgN
Futures open in about 4 hours. Call your shots gang.

I'm going with down 5%
YNWA_AG
AG
Limit down within an hour
jj9000
AG
Prognightmare said:

Futures open in about 4 hours. Call your shots gang.

I'm going with down 5%

Opens at 3.1% down.
Sideways for a few hours.
Overnight circuit breaker limit down at 5%

Next
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Stimulus will pop the market and then once the case volume gets out of control, there will be a decline.
CSTXAg92
AG
oldarmy1 said:

MOMO huge volume and a spike. It was WAY oversold
Anyone take a position on MOMO?
AggiePeeps06
AG
I sold my 3/31 SPY puts Friday before the big drop

Should've trusted my gut. Lesson learned
CSTXAg92
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

I just wanted to share some knowledge with the board.

I have traded RCL puts for massive profits this past month. To show why I decided to exit them today:
First chart is the 30 min interval, 1 month chart. See the big volume buying this morning which is different from the drops every other day?
Second chart is the 5 year, weekly interval. See those huge volume bars at $70 and $75.

Based on those two, I figured today was the day to get off the PUTS ride. This the method behind the madness.
Interesting charts. Appreciate the explanation. What platform are you using?
First Page Last Page
Page 1168 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.