Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,030,316 Views | 224266 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by sts7049
FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
claym711 said:

The Fed and Govt are in full on panic mode.
They just missed.
claym711
AG
If the Fed can't pop the market Green with $1.5T we are in major trouble.

Ppl should note that the velocity of these drops far surpass the first -20% of the financial crisis which makes sense with the amount of trading and leverage available now.

But that also means the next 20% will peoobably also be more severe than the 2nd 20% of the last crisis. That will scare the **** out of ppl and be the capitulation point.
Talon2DSO
AG
claym711 said:

Ppl should note that the velocity of these drops far surpass the first -20% of the financial crisis which makes sense with the amount of trading and leverage available now.

But that also means the next 20% will peoobably also be more severe than the 2nd 20% of the last crisis. That will scare the **** out of ppl and be the capitulation point.

Yep. People are absolutely panicked and acting irrational. We are about a week away from looting.

The Joker (Dark Knight version) was correct.
YouBet
AG
Meanwhile, I'm just sitting here waiting for my order to execute. Don't understand what the hold up is.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
So since the market has already tanked back to where it was did the FED just waste $1.5 trillion?
khaos288
AG
hennyj15 said:

So since the market has already tanked back to where it was did the FED just waste $1.5 trillion?

They just bought a bunch of calls before the announcement and got rich real quick.
claym711
AG
That fed pump was barely a blip on net volume. NV is very good in this stuff to get a quick sense of which moves are real.
Towns03
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Insider buying on WES 10k shares by the CEO.
is that enough info to act on? what's their business?
Carlo4
AG
claym711 said:

I have a meeting with my adviser at 130.

Was going to listen to OA and buy in some, but part of me just wants to tell him to be 90% cash. I'm down 12% YTD, including today with a 35% cash position so far, so not hurting as bad as the market as a whole.

I honestly don't see a bottom until obvious signs of recovery, like sports starting again, no more quarantines, etc.

Pignorant
AG
SDC down to $5.35. Tempting.
Ag13
AG
ProgN

Apple hits 210, that's a life changing buy right there.
claym711
AG
It's a $3T program by month end of fully subscribed.

They must be expecting massive defaults.
Carlo4
AG
Couldn't agree more.

everyone shuts down. can't pay debts... or your staff.

chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
I think it's very possible, even likely, that we see tons of schools and places of business closed next week to try and keep corona from peaking in the US. If that happens, I just do not see the market responding favorably at all. Consumer confidence will be low, low, low. And the way the market just ran over 1.5 trillion from the Feds does not excite me at all.
bullard21k
AG
For those of you looking to get in low on a lot of these stocks....capital gain taxes are heavy for 1 year if you pull out correct?

So are you looking to hang onto these for at least that period of time or sell before that 1 year window?
the last of the bohemians
This is going to be a death blow to the physical storefront retailers who were trying to become more digital
On the positive side, for those building long term positions, is that we have a much more pro business environment than in 2009 recovery. Yes I'm talking forum 16, but expect a 4% gdp bounce back this time
YouBet
AG
I talked to my FA on Monday and he was stay the course and this is just a blip, etc. A whole lot has changed just since Monday.

I may send him the The Anchorman: I Don't Believe You gif.
Ag12thman
AG
bullard21k said:

For those of you looking to get in low on a lot of these stocks....capital gain taxes are heavy for 1 year if you pull out correct?

So are you looking to hang onto these for at least that period of time or sell before that 1 year window?
Long-Term Capital Gains (held longer than one year) are taxed at preferential rates. Short-Term (held one year or less), though, are taxed at ordinary income rates. So, you are correct - they are "heavy" if you pull out before 365 days expire.
Carlo4
AG
YouBet said:

I talked to my FA on Monday and he was stay the course and this is just a blip, etc. A whole lot has changed just since Monday.

My guy was screaming at me to buy last week, and I refused. He's late on my call here shortly, so can't wait to hear what he has to say now.

His company sent out a client wide email last friday about to remain calm and stay in the market and to not get into cash. Really starting to piss me off.
Ragoo
AG
chrisfield said:

I think it's very possible, even likely, that we see tons of schools and places of business closed next week to try and keep corona from peaking in the US. If that happens, I just do not see the market responding favorably at all. Consumer confidence will be low, low, low. And the way the market just ran over 1.5 trillion from the Feds does not excite me at all.
back to my point, why is the market open?
leoj
AG
UTD just extended spring break by a week, then moving to online classes the rest of the semester.
deadbq03
AG
bullard21k said:

I'm not in this boat since I only trade in IRAs, but I'm frustrated by a family member's concern about taxes. When the EMA 5 crossed the EMA 13, I pulled quite a bit of assets and told him he might want to do the same. He did in his IRA, but his rationale in his standard brokerage was that he will wait until he's reached his cost basis and then pull out so he doesn't have to pay taxes.

I want to slap him.

If you have to pay taxes - congratulations! You made money!

While you should certainly have a strategy built around minimizing taxes, you shouldn't cut off your nose to spite your face. In this case, my family member hates the idea of paying taxes so much he's willing to lose all of his gains. It's madness.
YouBet
AG
PDEMDHC said:

YouBet said:

My guy was screaming at me to buy last week, and I refused. He's late on my call here shortly, so can't wait to hear what he has to say now.

His company sent out a client wide email last friday about to remain calm and stay in the market and to not get into cash. Really starting to piss me off.

That is message I got as well. I don't think they realize how devastating this could get and just assume same old, same old recovery. It's about to be a sh^t storm out there with layoffs and failures. Once that starts it's hard to just bounce back quickly from that. Everything already on the table at my company.

I'm going to email him in a minute and just ask, "What about now?"
Post removed:
by user
Ragoo
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Just an observation, but this board has always leaned heavily bullish. That is finally starting to change and might mean we are close to a tradeable low.
you do realize this is not economic driven, right?
Isn't the market pricing in massive March cancellations and closures, thought that was the mover on today's selling
thumbsup06
AG
Anyone considering the market scenario where Trump loses to Biden? Fringe voters get swayed by the media who will skewer Trump if COVID turns out a disaster or he "doesn't do enough" for small business, etc.
Brewmaster
AG
Pignorant said:

Just say no...its the new OSTK, which, holy carp! is at 3.56! Torbush wow
khaos288
AG
thumbsup06 said:

Anyone considering the market scenario where Trump loses to Biden? Fringe voters get swayed by the media who will skewer Trump if COVID turns out a disaster or he "doesn't do enough" for small business, etc.
Biden stands no chance I think, but he's not a market threat like Sanders. Biden would be a conservative by policy in any country in the world other than here.
AgShaun00
AG
BREwmaster said:

Pignorant said:

Just say no...its the new OSTK, which, holy carp! is at 3.56! Torbush wow
just bought 10k shares. Riding it all the way to $60
ProgN
AgShaun00
AG
i heard some people in nustar don't think they can survive this
bullard21k
AG
deadbq03 said:

bullard21k said:

I'm not in this boat since I only trade in IRAs, but I'm frustrated by a family member's concern about taxes. When the EMA 5 crossed the EMA 13, I pulled quite a bit of assets and told him he might want to do the same. He did in his IRA, but his rationale in his standard brokerage was that he will wait until he's reached his cost basis and then pull out so he doesn't have to pay taxes.

I want to slap him.

If you have to pay taxes - congratulations! You made money!

While you should certainly have a strategy built around minimizing taxes, you shouldn't cut off your nose to spite your face. In this case, my family member hates the idea of paying taxes so much he's willing to lose all of his gains. It's madness.

Yes that's why I was asking as virtually everything I have is long plays with my finical advisor so I haven't had to dabble in the market in awhile.

I do have fidelity IRA. What's the catch on that? You can trade within the IRA without being taxed as long as you keep money in that IRA? but you are taxed once you pull the gains out? Not sure how that works
First Page Last Page
Page 1092 of 6408

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.