Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,030,660 Views | 224267 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by SAag1113
Barty Dont Hedge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oldarmy1 said:

Stock pile cash. Sell, or at least rent, your children and build your cash war chest.

You're about to have a life-changing opportunity available once a generation, if that. Exciting!
Is this in reference to buying stocks cheap or options opportunities or both?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Don't go jumping into airlines just yet...

claym711
AG
Longest halt I've seen by far. 10/24/2008 had abt a 4 hour halt.

Anything analogous to this bounced hard at some point in the day, but this halt is unprecedented even during financial crisis.
Wrighty
AG
In the market "dips" I have seen in last years, most people on Texags are looking to buy the dips and "load up on the discounted stocks". No one was capitulating. That was a sign that it wasn't a real panic or a real risk of recession selling etc.

This time, it seems a lot of people are afraid to buy until a real bottom is in. So we know its more serious already. Having said that, I'm not sure we're at the stage where people are saying "they're selling out of fickle stock market, and paying off the mortgage". Once we see that we'll know its major.
Pepper Brooks
AG
For those of us who read the options back and forth for entertainment, but are generally mutual fund buy and hold investors, how would you take advantage of whatever is about to happen?

VOO/VFIAX if it hits a certain threshold?
oldarmy1
AG
Barty said:

oldarmy1 said:

Stock pile cash. Sell, or at least rent, your children and build your cash war chest.

You're about to have a life-changing opportunity available once a generation, if that. Exciting!

Is this in reference to buying stocks cheap or options opportunities or both?

Shares 25% every 100 S&P points down. I mix in some naked Puts at the 2nd 100 points down onward so if not a bottom you have a head start at lower price or if it is a bottom you net the premium as part of your recovery.

And when markets eventually bottom you sell your lowest buys 200 points above where you bought.

IrishTxAggie
AG
The market has triggered a 'circuit breaker' that keeps stocks from falling through the floor. Here's what you need to know

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/09/sp-500-futures-are-frozen-after-tanking-5percent-heres-what-happens-when-circuit-breakers-kick-in.html?__source=iosappshare%7Ccom.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

"The SPDR S&P 500 ETF around 7 a.m. ET indicates a 5.9% drop in the S&P 500 once trading resumes. Both the SPDR Dow ETF and the SPDR Nasdaq ETF suggest declines of more than 5.5% at the open. The implied Dow open based on the ETF trade would be a drop of more than 1,500 points after opening limit down."
McInnis 03
AG
Is anyone taking definitive action this morning, or just watching from the sidelines?
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
oldarmy1
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Is anyone taking definitive action this morning, or just watching from the sidelines?

I'm definitely cashing in my highest SPY put. I bought first shares in ADBE. Waiting for open on others so I can have options in the arsenal.
YouBet
AG
I'm going to freely admit as a long-term, hold investor I'm a little spooked and I laughed off 2008 and piled in on that. I've don't nothing yet but my investment horizon is still at least 15 years. Function of being older and a little closer I guess.
WestTexAg12
AG
McInnis 03 said:

I'm about 80% in the market right now because I never sold. Nothing that I really can do but sit and wait it out. Most of my stuff is in a Schwab Intelligent portfolio and it takes 2 days to execute anything anyways.

I'm fooked
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
oldarmy1
AG
That ROKU $85-90 is here. If not a bottom in markets then it could see $70 area. I'm buying 12.5% now and will wait for markets to open for option addition.
tailgatetimer10
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

McInnis 03 said:

I'm about 80% in the market right now because I never sold. Nothing that I really can do but sit and wait it out. Most of my stuff is in a Schwab Intelligent portfolio and it takes 2 days to execute anything anyways.

I'm fooked

It's not a bad time to reset your portfolio. Claim some losses if possible to get into other stocks you've been eyeing.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I got scalped good in mid-February. I've got some long term stuff I haven't touched, but options are closed daily with maybe keeping a runner or two overnight.
Mas89
AG
Beware The Ides Of March. Could be the worst day/week/month/? The corona virus had the markets spooked already. The collapse of oil and energy markets will throw gas on the fire. Most other commodities with the exception of precious metals are at or below the cost of production already. Many will follow oil way down farther.
WestTexAg12
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

McInnis 03 said:

I'm fooked

It's not a bad time to reset your portfolio. Claim some losses if possible to get into other stocks you've been eyeing.

Well luckily I've got tax loss harvesting on my Schwab.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
Ranger222
AG
I have been buying bits and pieces on the way down, thinking the virus pandemonium was overblown (this coming from a microbiologist). What I didn't include in my thesis was this collapse of oil. This is a completely different animal. My "line in the sand" is the 272-274 area. I didn't expect us to breach that level, but we might. That would be a "get the **** out and watch" level for me.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
McInnis 03
AG
Ranger222 said:

I have been buying bits and pieces on the way down, thinking the virus pandemonium was overblown (this coming from a microbiologist). What I didn't include in my thesis was this collapse of oil. This is a completely different animal. My "line in the sand" is the 272-274 area. I didn't expect us to breach that level, but we might. That would be a "get the **** out and watch" level for me.
I had a wild throw SPY 200p for Mar 20 that I held until friday on the runup, thinking I could get something for it (and I did), but jeez, I didn't think I'd be the reason for this to happen.
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
Ranger222
AG
the reason for 270ish being a critical level --

culdeus
AG
Is it bad if the 2 year is negative?
IrishTxAggie
AG
ROKU at $84. That's when I'll look to add it to the long term holds.
wessimo
AG
RangerRick9211
AG
Halted?
JobSecurity
AG
7% breaker. 15 min
atmtws
HoustonAg2014
AG
Alright half time! Trading halted till the bulls wake up.
moses1084ever
AG
It would appear so
oldarmy1
AG
I only managed to close 1st level SPY puts and completed ROKU/ADBE buys.

Halt stinks because all were bouncing nicely.
IrishTxAggie
AG
pronhub traffic just went through the roof for the next 15 minutes!
FriscoKid
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm just gonna keep dumping into the s&p 500.
FriscoKid
AG
moses1084ever said:

Closed my put at 2.69. Up a buck

Bet you wish you had that back.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What?
Satellite of Love
Book it: S&P 500 will be suspended for the day toady. Once it resumes it will hit down 15% and halt then end at 20%.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
FriscoKid
AG
Getting real close to the bull market trend line.
First Page Last Page
Page 1066 of 6408

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.