Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,278,300 Views | 28674 Replies | Last: 15 min ago by donkeykick90
Gordo14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Boat Shoes said:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Just spoke to King Salman of Saudi Arabia and explained to him that, because of the turmoil & disfunction in Iran and Venezuela, I am asking that Saudi Arabia increase oil production, maybe up to 2,000,000 barrels, to make up the difference...Prices to high! He has agreed!
6:37 AM - Jun 30, 2018

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous.
techno-ag
AG
Reminds me of when W complained about traders, and the price dropped. Just bully pulpiting.
JTA1029
AG
1 - I wish he would at least figure out proper use of to and too.
2 - Let the prices climb. Better for my bank account.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I feel alot better as WTI and Brent price gap closes and remains in the $70's+
Cyp0111
you need to look at term structure vs prompt month wti-brent. Mostly driven by Syncrude outage.
BiochemAg97
AG
JTA1029 said:

1 - I wish he would at least figure out proper use of to and too.
2 - Let the prices climb. Better for my bank account.
While higher prices are good for those long in the sector, most of America is short in the sector. It makes sense for the rest of the economy that the prices don't get too high. Plus, long term, a stable price is better for the industry than the boom and bust.

That said, it is laughable to think the govt is good at moderating prices to keep things stable.
nu awlins ag
AG
Here in Germany, fuel is at least double what we pay in the US. I'm digging the autobahn here. Sehr gut...
techno-ag
AG
https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/2018/07/06/oil-spike-above-150-feared-as-investors-demand-cash-over-growth

Cyp0111
I think everyone is really overlooking the demand side. Emerging markets are sucking wind and now dealing with life wo fuel caps
Comeby!
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I think everyone is really overlooking the demand side. Emerging markets are sucking wind and now dealing with life wo fuel caps

How do you think WTI will be able to meet that demand? Sounds to me the Brent - WTI spread will continue to widen.
Cyp0111
Yes, it's only the fronts are coming in on the apread
Fitch
AG
So are we expanding Kyle Field or what?
aggie028
Which numbers do you review to make this kind of assessment?
Cyp0111
The wti- Brent spread? I have screen access so it's not cheap, I'll see if I can find something that is free and post a link.
aggie028
The emerging market demand is what I was asking about
Cyp0111
Noted. Ill see what I can find. At a high level the issues center around the roll back across EMs of various fuel subsidies in 2015-17. With fuel prices up you're seeing demand destruction, strikes and general unrest proving that the demand drop off may be more binary than originally thought.
Comeby!
AG
I'm looking at the price and diff numbers across the country from a BMO newsletter. Midland is at $61.13 with a ($12.67) diff vs Brent at $77.11 with a $3.31 premium. LLS is $77.91 with a $4.11 premium. Takeaway capacity in the Permian is the bottleneck. If doesn't matter what emerging countries demand is if your oil is sitting in the tanks in Midland county.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Quote:

The Critical Chokepoint That Could Send Oil To $250

Crude oil prices could jump as high as US$250 a barrel if Iran goes through with its threat to close the Strait of Hormuz in response to U.S. pressure on oil buyers to cut their Iranian purchases to zero, RT reports, quoting analysts.

The most bullish among these analysts was Artem Avinov from online broker TeleTrade, who saw prices skyrocketing to US$250 a barrel if the Strait of Hormuz is blocked, disrupting about 17 million bpd in seaborne oil trade.
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Oil-Prices/The-Critical-Chokepoint-That-Could-Send-Oil-To-250.html

Buckle Up, Buckaroo!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Wait!

I am confused, the same writer that wrote the above at 9:30 AM... then wrote this at 11:00 AM:

Quote:

Russia's Finance Ministry Warns Of Another Price Collapse

If prices remain at their current level, another collapse could be around the corner, the Russian Finance Ministry has warned in a report, cited by Sputnik.

According to the report, the long-term equilibrium price level for crude oil is currently around US$50-60 a barrel, but actual prices are substantially higher than that and "the current growth should be regarded as temporary [] If oil prices continue to remain above long-term equilibrium levels, the price collapse will repeat again."

The report attributed the price rise to the sharp decline in Venezuelan oil production and the U.S. sanctions against Iran that seek to reduce oil production in the country to zero. The authors, however, noted that the next price collapse could be avoided by boosting production in countries including the United States, Angola, Canada, and Brazil.

While the Russian Finance Ministry worries about a price crash, others are warning about a spike above US$100 per barrel if Iran makes good on its latest threat to close the Strait of Hormuz in retaliation for the U.S. sanctions.
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Russias-Finance-Ministry-Warns-Of-Another-Price-Collapse.html

What are those pesky Ruskies up to with all this disinfo?
IrishTxAggie
AG
How many times has Iran threatened to do this and how many times have they ever been successful in doing this? I don't see the Saudi's just sitting back knowing that the US is basically 100% behind them given the growing relationship between the US and Prince MBS.
Ramrod
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Wait!

I am confused, the same writer that wrote the above at 9:30 AM... then wrote this at 11:00 AM:

Quote:

Russia's Finance Ministry Warns Of Another Price Collapse

If prices remain at their current level, another collapse could be around the corner, the Russian Finance Ministry has warned in a report, cited by Sputnik.

According to the report, the long-term equilibrium price level for crude oil is currently around US$50-60 a barrel, but actual prices are substantially higher than that and "the current growth should be regarded as temporary [] If oil prices continue to remain above long-term equilibrium levels, the price collapse will repeat again."

The report attributed the price rise to the sharp decline in Venezuelan oil production and the U.S. sanctions against Iran that seek to reduce oil production in the country to zero. The authors, however, noted that the next price collapse could be avoided by boosting production in countries including the United States, Angola, Canada, and Brazil.

While the Russian Finance Ministry worries about a price crash, others are warning about a spike above US$100 per barrel if Iran makes good on its latest threat to close the Strait of Hormuz in retaliation for the U.S. sanctions.
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Russias-Finance-Ministry-Warns-Of-Another-Price-Collapse.html

What are those pesky Ruskies up to with all this disinfo?

That's how you cover all your bases so you can always say "See! I was right!".
Ulrich
I've seen several articles from oilprice.com lately and been very unimpressed. Not exactly click bait, but it wasn't good analysis either.
John Francis Donaghy
Ulrich said:

I've seen several articles from oilprice.com lately and been very unimpressed. Not exactly click bait, but it wasn't good analysis either.

That article referenced above is relying on a report from RT.com, which is a Russian state run media outlet, i.e. the Kremlins propaganda machine.

All we can glean from it is that the Russian government wants people to think the price of oil could skyrocket.
BiochemAg97
AG
I'm not seeing how the US sanctions non Iran can be effective if Europe basically said "yeah whatever, you are on your own US". And you know China was never going to play along.

On the other hand, attempting to shut down the strait will clearly get a reaction from Europe, the rest of the ME, and the US that would go beyond some relatively meaningless sanctions.
Comeby!
AG
Does anyone here work for a field data capture company such as Enertia, P2, Greasebook, etc?
techno-ag
AG
I found this interesting. There are currently 720 large oil tankers. They have to be recertified every so often, kind of like scuba tanks I guess. They have to be recertified at 15 years old and 20 years old, and it runs about $2 million.

Shipping rates are super cheap right now, at $6000/day as opposed to $25,000/day which is break even level for a lot of shipping companies. Rates are down with the US importing less oil. But, recycled metals are higher. So, many shipping companies are selling off their oil tankers, especially as the time for recertification nears.

All this to say, if there is a sudden spike in need, or maybe a supply disruption, if it requires shipping it might take a while for companies to take delivery of new oil tankers and meet the need.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/shipowners-on-pace-to-scrap-1-billion-in-oil-tankers-this-year-1531054800

ETA a final paragraph in the article discusses the scrapping of deep sea rigs. Guess that's not going to come back soon either.
Post removed:
by user
techno-ag
AG
third coast.. said:

Ships need a he'll of a lot more inspections and certs etc than at 15 years. It's crazy though how young some of the board going to the breakers are
OK. Maybe the article was referring to the hull lining or some specific inspection rather than all of them. Dunno.
Wocka Wocka
AG
Just wait until next year when all the idle offshore rigs built in 2009 are due for their 10 year SPS; it's going to be a bloodbath.

As each day goes by, the likelihood an idle rig goes back to work decreases more and more.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
techno-ag said:

third coast.. said:

Ships need a he'll of a lot more inspections and certs etc than at 15 years. It's crazy though how young some of the board going to the breakers are
OK. Maybe the article was referring to the hull lining or some specific inspection rather than all of them. Dunno.
THEREs typically a 5-year visual (UWILD), then a 10 year more in depth inspection in dry dock, IIRC.
Cyp0111
IMO 2020 is going to be a big issue as well
techno-ag
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

techno-ag said:

third coast.. said:

THEREs typically a 5-year visual (UWILD), then a 10 year more in depth inspection in dry dock, IIRC.

OK. I went back and found the paragraph from the article:

Quote:

The average age of VLCCs going to scrap this year is 18.8 years, the youngest since 2013, according to VesselsValue. A ship's average operational age is around 25 years, but after 15 years in the water, the vessel has to go through an extensive survey to determine if it is seaworthy. "An average survey costs about $2 million, and you have to do it again at 20 years, so a number of owners opt to scrap instead," Mr. Sharma said.
So, what it looks like is, from what you are saying there are inspections every 5 years. It's just the author omitted that fact, and focused on the older ships that are either coming up on their 15 year mark or 20 year mark. Perhaps those are more expensive "surveys" at $2 million, or by that age they think anything that old is not worth another $2 million.

I don't think the author was mistaken per se, just did not go into a whole lot of extra details.
nu awlins ag
AG
Crazy, because in May this piece was written...
Quote:

By
Costas Paris

New U.S. crude export facilities on the Gulf Coast may bring the world's troubled business of operating big tankers a needed new market for transporting oil.
A trio of American energy logistics firms is preparing to build a terminal at the Port of Corpus Christi in Texas capable of handling very large crude carriers, or VLCCs, adding to a flurry of activity for U.S. oil exports that reached a record 2.3 million barrels a day last week.
Buckeye Partners , BPL +1.88% Phillips 66 PSX +0.20% Partners and refiner Andeavor ANDV -0.15% formed a joint venture to build the facility at the South Texas Gateway Terminal, a major transit point for U.S. energy exports heading to international markets.
Phillips 66 and Andeavor will be the launch customers for shipping crude out of the terminal, with two deep-water docks capable of berthing VLCCs, along with 3.4 million barrels of oil storage. The South Texas Gateway Terminal is scheduled to kick off operations next year.
The project will add capacity to a booming U.S. crude trade.
The U.S. Energy Information Administration says crude exports recently averaged around 1.6 million barrels a day over four weeks. Growing production of crude, refined products and liquefied natural gas could make the U.S. a net energy exporter by 2022, according to the EIA's Annual Energy Outlook.

Tanker owners are hoping the growing U.S. exports will boost an international crude transport market that has remained in a slump this year.
Freight rates for VLCCs recently slumped to near record lows, industry analysts say, with a glut of ships pushing daily rates to an average $6,000, far from the break-even rate of around $22,000.
"There's a lot of bleeding out there, and there is more to come this year," said one Singapore broker, noting daily rates stood at $26,000 in the same period last year.
Big, listed operators kicked of this year with steep losses in the first quarter.
Quote:

'Rates will stay under pressure until this process of rebalancing is much further advanced.'
Paddy Rogers, CEO of Euronav.
Euronav, one of the world's biggest VLCC owners, lost $39 million in the three months ending March 31. "Rates will stay under pressure until this process of rebalancing (supply and demand) is much further advanced," Chief Executive Paddy Rogers said in announcing the earnings.
Crude stockpiles have been rising even as oil prices have pushed up to around $70 on global markets. On Wednesday, the EIA reported the amount of crude in storage rose by 6.2 million barrels last week, exceeding average analyst expectations for a 700,000-barrel build.
For crude carriers, "The overall message is that for the rest of the year, global oil stocks will remain pretty significant, which also means a significant lack of demand for oil transport," Peter Sand, chief shipping analyst for ship broker BIMCO, said in an interview.
Tanker operators have continued to bulk up capacity despite falling prices. Mr. Sand said there were 54 orders of VLCCs last year up from only 14 in 2016, and there have been another 20 new orders so far this year.

"Just like container shipping, size does matter in oil transport, with VLCCs becoming the weapon of choice, especially with increased crude imports into China," he said.
Brokers for oil transport estimate that tanker overcapacity is hovering at around 18% above demand.

BiochemAg97
AG
I could see a situation where it makes accounting sense to scrap an old boat today to turn a current maintenance expense into a scrap income at a time of low daily rates. Then order a newer ship to be delivered down the road when you hope daily rates have recovered some.

From a quarter report view, you have decreased costs and increased income and sell a story of investing for the future.

I suspect the newer boat is also more efficient with increased automation to reduce the needed crew, improved fuel efficiency, or both.
Cyp0111
Also helps w IMO 2020
First Page Last Page
Page 469 of 820

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.