Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,144,930 Views | 28508 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by MetalMan
O'Doyle Rules
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boat Shoes said:

Interesting.

Brent crude nears one-month low after report US asked OPEC to raise supply

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/04/oil-climbs-but-record-us-crude-output-and-higher-opec-supplies-drag.html

Because the higher ups know the US economy will crash if crude keeps increasing. One of the big factors in 2008.
Gordo14
O'Doyle Rules said:

Boat Shoes said:

Interesting.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/04/oil-climbs-but-record-us-crude-output-and-higher-opec-supplies-drag.html

Because the higher ups know the US economy will crash if crude keeps increasing. One of the big factors in 2008.
74OA
AG
100% Pay Raises?!
thepartygoat
AG
Old news but new to me. Linn Energy split up into Roan and Riveira Resources

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/04/19/linn-energy-shares-more-details-on-separation-plan.html
jetch17
AG
Looking like Shell, CVX & possibly BP making the big money run in bidding on the BHP shale assets as a complete package.

The Permian makes sense given position for Shell and would add to CVX's large footprint, I guess each could see buying in to the Eagle Ford to butt up against some of the others like EOG/COP etc, plus the Devon assets going up could make a run at those

Should be interesting to watch, I know BHP was getting interest from some smaller companies and PE on some of the individual assets
sts7049
AG
it would be ironic for us to get back into the eagle ford, given what we sold off to sanchez only a few years ago at a pretty good loss. but maybe the acreage is better, i dunno.
drill4oil78
AG
You need to go back and look at the history of major operators regarding their US land properties. Sell low and buy back higher or acquire a smaller company that has the acreage. It has been going on for many many decades. Most majors sold out to independents in the 80's for a song and then came back in 15-20 years later by acquiring a company that has acreage they desire to have back.
gougler08
AG
sts7049 said:

it would be ironic for us to get back into the eagle ford, given what we sold off to sanchez only a few years ago at a pretty good loss. but maybe the acreage is better, i dunno.

It would also be our (Shell) first major purchase since the BG deal I think? We've been in sell mode for a while now
Cyp0111
Shell is t good at much elsw
Cepe
AG
Unfortunately the only thing you can count on in oil and gas is systematically bad leadership decisions by people who think they are super smart. Constantly buying/ selling assets, reorganizing, centralizing/ decentralizing, etc. and basically doing the opposite of whatever the person before them did as some great thought process. All while accepting their bonuses no matter whether it is successful or not because they are usually gone anyway.

Our industry hides these guys when the oil price is good but they get exposed when it actually comes time to manage a company and not make a profit in spite of themselves.

Sorry for the negativity but after 26 years it becomes painfully obvious. That's why I'm giving a role outside of O&G a chance for a while.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Cepe said:

Unfortunately the only thing you can count on in oil and gas is systematically bad leadership decisions by people who think they are super smart. Constantly buying/ selling assets, reorganizing, centralizing/ decentralizing, etc. and basically doing the opposite of whatever the person before them did as some great thought process. All while accepting their bonuses no matter whether it is successful or not because they are usually gone anyway.

Our industry hides these guys when the oil price is good but they get exposed when it actually comes time to manage a company and not make a profit in spite of themselves.

Sorry for the negativity but after 26 years it becomes painfully obvious. That's why I'm giving a role outside of O&G a chance for a while.
I don't know, these are guys that are able to mismanage entire companies and still pull down multi million dollar bonuses, so maybe they are in fact super smart, just not super smart at running companies, but rather, super smart and making money...
The Original AG 76
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

Cepe said:

I don't know, these are guys that are able to mismanage entire companies and still pull down multi million dollar bonuses, so maybe they are in fact super smart, just not super smart at running companies, but rather, super smart and making money...
Sadly what y'all are discussing is not just a feature of the all biddness but the deep dark secret and one of our capitalist systems greatest disease and it universal across all businesses....the scam of corporate " leadership". How many times have we seen CEO's and their minions come in , receive YUGE packages, utterly fail, drive the company into oblivion, get a golden parachute and then move on to the next milch cow to loot its treasury.... interlocking boards, rotating front offices, insane compensation and ZERO accountability at the top is epidemic in so many companies and organizations. Much like baseball managers who can loose 100 games, get fired sit out a year and suddenly re-appear as the next saviors manager of the { fill in the blank} ...
Its an incestuous cabal that is doing immense harm to American business.
techno-ag
AG
Seems like debt is a problem too, or the addiction to it. These companies will leverage to the hilt then the price of oil plummets or some other catastrophic event occurs. The company is then wiped out. Nobody believes in slow and steady growth anymore, it's expand expand expand every quarter and they load up on debt to do it.
Ragoo
AG
techno-ag said:

Seems like debt is a problem too, or the addiction to it. These companies will leverage to the hilt then the price of oil plummets or some other catastrophic event occurs. The company is then wiped out. Nobody believes in slow and steady growth anymore, it's expand expand expand every quarter and they load up on debt to do it.
debt has been very cheap for a long time.... has allowed for a lot of consolidation
techno-ag
AG
Ragoo said:

techno-ag said:

debt has been very cheap for a long time.... has allowed for a lot of consolidation
Yeah that's added to the problem. Think Halcon leveraging up to buy and drill on cheap debt, then oil craters
Comeby!
AG
The last few posts (leadership, debt, etc) are true however that's the beauty of what we do. Everyone thinks they are good poker players, want to drive in the left lane, thinks they are good in bed. Fact of the matter is that not everyone is and this creates tremendous opportunity for others, especially younger, aggressive Aggies. A lot of the motivation for upcoming entrepreneurs is the thought that they can do better than their boss. I know it was for me. At the end of the day, you still have to deliver results. You can't ride others coattails or your years ago success forever.
Ragoo
AG
Very true
The Original AG 76
AG
Comeby! said:

The last few posts (leadership, debt, etc) are true however that's the beauty of what we do. Everyone thinks they are good poker players, want to drive in the left lane, thinks they are good in bed. Fact of the matter is that not everyone is and this creates tremendous opportunity for others, especially younger, aggressive Aggies. A lot of the motivation for upcoming entrepreneurs is the thought that they can do better than their boss. I know it was for me. At the end of the day, you still have to deliver results. You can't ride others coattails or your years ago success forever.
True... UNTIL..you reach the rarified air of the " mahogany row". Seems to be a total different set of rules that the title that starts with a C guys play by. I really think the problem is the interlocking board of director cabal. The "you serve on my board and I'll serve on your board" and we'll give each other insane packages , protect each others phony baloney jobs and retire filthy scam is killing the goose. We aren't just talking about the GE and Sears of the world but thousands of small and mid-sized companies all over. I've watched it up close for years and its real.
PPAag06
AG
I'm literally looking right now as my CFO advice is going unheeded and we are growing ourselves into major financial difficulties. My "models are broken". Gobbling up market share has pushed companies into bankruptcy before.....
The Original AG 76
AG
PPAag06 said:

I'm literally looking right now as my CFO advice is going unheeded and we are growing ourselves into major financial difficulties. My "models are broken". Gobbling up market share has pushed companies into bankruptcy before.....
called Empire building. It allows the "C"'s to give themselves bigger bonuses, hire more high paid VP's ( see interlocking boards rant) add to their resume and acquire more treasuries to loot.
They don't care since their board buddies have given them employment contracts that make sure that there is a already funded multi-million dollar check sitting at the guard gate to be given to them on the way out as the fire sale auctioneers move in......
Talon2DSO
AG
Comeby! said:

So how does one break into the C suite? Right now I'm a well paid worker bee with a niche expertise and a law degree. I've been proving my value by successfully navigating us through DOT issues. How do I make myself someone thats moldable as opposed to someone that gets stuck in a career eddy?
"Life's tough, but I'm tougher."
Ulrich
I, too, would like to sign up for a position making loads of money regardless of the consequences for my soul.
PPAag06
AG
Find some fine looking coattails and start riding.
Caliber
AG
You have to be one of the young kids that brown nosed correctly to get on the "fast track".
IrishTxAggie
AG
MBA and how much ass can you kiss.

I peaced out the corporate world after I realized I'd never get the brown off of my nose with how much time I'd have to spend up certain people's asses that I hated.
Ragoo
AG
Talon2DSO said:

Comeby! said:

So how does one break into the C suite? Right now I'm a well paid worker bee with a niche expertise and a law degree. I've been proving my value by successfully navigating us through DOT issues. How do I make myself someone thats moldable as opposed to someone that gets stuck in a career eddy?
i am just looking to get in with a producer or midstream company
The Original AG 76
AG
Talon2DSO said:

Comeby! said:

ALL OF THE ABOVE PLUS...
learn to look great in meetings, know the latest buzzwords , develop a skill ( mind reading ) whereas you can create an answer that best matches what your boss or his boss wants to hear, play golf, be executive looking, be ruthless, MASTER the art of being a world class suckass without appearing to be a suckass, have at least a vague knowledge of what you company does ( not a priority since lack of any understanding of what you company does can be masked by the aggressive use of buzzwords and a liberal application of suckass) AND develop the critical and vital skill of taking total credit for EVERY accomplishment whilst avoiding ANY blame for ANY failure ( possibly the MOST important skill the potential " C" can master).
Do this , grasshopper, and the C Suite is yours !
Caliber
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Talon2DSO said:

Comeby! said:

ALL OF THE ABOVE PLUS...
learn to look great in meetings, know the latest buzzwords , develop a skill ( mind reading ) whereas you can create an answer that best matches what your boss or his boss wants to hear, play golf, be executive looking, be ruthless, MASTER the art of being a world class suckass without appearing to be a suckass, have at least a vague knowledge of what you company does ( not a priority since lack of any understanding of what you company does can be masked by the aggressive use of buzzwords and a liberal application of suckass) AND develop the critical and vital skill of taking total credit for EVERY accomplishment whilst avoiding ANY blame for ANY failure ( possibly the MOST important skill the potential " C" can master).
Do this , grasshopper, and the C Suite is yours !
On the avoid blame part, you have to always be moving to a new position, even within the company. You don't want to stay long enough for the failure to be yours. Implement a bunch of buzz word heavy BS and then leverage that to a promotion. It will be the next guys failure then and you can blame him.
The Original AG 76
AG
PPAag06 said:

Find some fine looking coattails and start riding.
ahhhh coattails !! Very important especially early on. BUT very dangerous . Be very careful since you will learn , usually the hard way, that he who rises by the tail can and WILL fall by the tail. Remember that , regardless of your ability , accomplishments , talent, worth etc.. the Jedi master you have hitched a ride to could fall into disrepute thereby thou shalt fall along with him. One must carefully select his master and ride with an eye on an escape route . Have you radar on full power and IF you begin to sense any ripple in the force surrounding your master BAIL , BAIL QUICK... do not pass GO, do NOT collect $200. DO NOT be fooled by any sense of loyalty of ANY FORM either to your aster or from him. Matter of fact do NOT under ANY circumstances waste ANY loyalty or effort on ANYBODY or ANYTHING other than your own career. WARNING...do NOT become an overt back-stabber, one must also master the art of being ( on the surface) totally supportive of whomever is on first even as you plant the knife deep in their back. Be popular but not the MOST popular. Your full time and ONLY job is self promotion PERIOD. Of course you need to competently do whatever menial tasks you are given, act as if the success of the company is important ( ha ha ha that a good one..remember the success of the company is ONLY important in that you will need to to be part of a viable concern so it HAS a treasury when you achieve looting status one day) .
Coattail is a great way to rise as a young un and is a great , but risky, vehicle to an actual office vs a cubicle. Use them wisely.
deweylittle
AG
Talon2DSO said:

Comeby! said:

PowerPoints, with effects. Loaded with charts with upward and to the right trajectories.
nu awlins ag
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

Boat Shoes said:

Interesting.

2008 was more speculative driven than supply/demand like we are still in. I see your point, but wanted to point out the differences between then and now.

You want to move up? Most likely you'll have to move out. That is what I've done. Main thing, show VALUE. You add value, you can move up. You simply add COST, you gone.
gougler08
AG
Man, you guys seem to have had multiple C level folks sleep with your wives or something
The Original AG 76
AG
gougler08 said:

Man, you guys seem to have had multiple C level folks sleep with your wives or something
nope...they were too busy sleeping with their secretaries !!
IrishTxAggie
AG
Nah. Just most of us have observed that trained monkeys could do just as good of a job...

Talon2DSO
AG
Ulrich said:

I, too, would like to sign up for a position making loads of money regardless of the consequences for my soul.

Yes.
"Life's tough, but I'm tougher."
First Page Last Page
Page 464 of 815

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.