Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,279,374 Views | 28677 Replies | Last: 27 min ago by Drillbit4
Heisenberg01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Most will use a 10%, some companies quote it at 15%. It should be something close to the companies WACC.
Latigo
740a, I apologize for my remarks last night.
Latigo
I divide the total lease, geology, drilling and completion costs by the net revenue to figure out the pay out. I deal with small independents. Once the well is paid out if operating costs are less than your income, you are making money. I've never seen PV calculated on anything I've been involved in, but we're not worried about calculating reserves.

The idea of wellhead break even seems pretty foreign and smoke and mirrors to me.
74OA
AG
No sweat, you spurred an interesting conversation.

As someone who grew up living with the damaging effects of OPEC's energy near-monopoly on our economy and the gross distortion of our national security policy by the need to secure foreign energy sources, the advent of energy independence and the complete role reversal in the global market is nothing short of thrilling. Now we need to sell lots of oil and gas to recover some of those trillions of dollars we sent overseas buying foreign energy for almost a century....
Latigo
Thanks for forgiveness. You're right about OPEC and the Middle East. Interesting times for sure.
aggie028
Ok. So a well that takes 30 years to pay out at $35 oil but makes money in year 31 would qualify as $35 or less break even to you?
Comeby!
AG
Latigo said:

I divide the total lease, geology, drilling and completion costs by the net revenue to figure out the pay out. I deal with small independents. Once the well is paid out if operating costs are less than your income, you are making money. I've never seen PV calculated on anything I've been involved in, but we're not worried about calculating reserves.

The idea of wellhead break even seems pretty foreign and smoke and mirrors to me.

You are talking about F&D costs.
Latigo
We would never do a deal that takes that long to payout. Unless you are using OPM you would never do a project for break even. Why risk the capital.? Now if you are trying to raise your stock price by booking reserves, that's when you start doing projects at break even. It's a completely different game for small players with private money than large players trying to raise their stock prices.
aggie028
Companies aren't aiming for break even.... just a bench mark a journalist might use.

My point is break even could be an extremely low price depending on the definition. 10% discount seems most reasonable to me.
Cepe
AG
Interesting read

https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2017/03/12/the-problem-of-success/

Quote:

By all accounts the Saudi economy is in decline. Low oil prices are forcing the Kingdom to live off savings, a process which can only last for so long. "The International Monetary Fund in January slashed its forecast for Saudi economic growth this year to 0.4 percent from 2 percent. Net foreign assets, though still above $500 billion, are shrinking as the government uses savings to plug a budget deficit that reached $79 billion last year $107 billion if delayed payments to contractors are included." The Saudi government has a six point plan aimed at tightening its belt and minimizing economic unrest at it tries to shift away from oil but it may be too little, too late to sustain it in the same old style. . . .

One person who understood the growing strategic weakness of the Saudi position was Rex Tillerson. Speaking in October 2016 as the chairman of Exxon Mobile, when a president Hillary was still universally anticipated, "Tillerson told Saudi Arabia's energy minister on Wednesday that fears of a new global oil supply crunch were exaggerated as the U.S. oil industry was adapting to the low price shock and was set to resume growth." The Saudis had cut oil prices in the belief that it would bankrupt American producers. Instead innovation turned North America into the big swing producer. . . .

Just as the US won the Cold War not because federal government agencies outwitted the Reds but because American society out-competed the Soviets, the frackers may have bankrupted the Sunni Jihad. But in doing so the oil men have created a potential power vacuum even bigger than which resulted from the Arab Spring. Technology often creates new power relationships which officials only belatedly respond to. The consequences of American oil power have not yet been fully assimilated by the political system. Turmoil in the Kingdom and the Gulf might trigger a tragedy that would make events in Syria and Libya seem trivial by comparison.

The declining fortunes of the Kingdom may have led president Obama to attempt a rapprochement with its Islamic nemesis Iran. It may have tempted Erdogan to grasp at the mantle of Sunni leadership as it was up for grabs. And it may now be impelling the Trump administration to put a hand in the game before Putin sweeps up the pot. But none of these answered the basic question of how to transition whole populations from a resource-based economy into something more sustainable. If the discovery of vast oil reserves in Arabia was pivotal in giving impetus to the Sunni Jihad the present shift will incontestably create another trajectory-changing moment.

For years a reduced dependence on Middle Eastern oil has been a policy goal. The dog's caught the car. What now?
FHKChE07
AG
So Wood Group took over AMEC Foster Wheeler today...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39253416

TommyGun
AG
That was a good read. I especially liked this line "Just as the US won the Cold War not because federal government agencies outwitted the Reds but because American society out-competed the Soviets, the frackers may have bankrupted the Sunni Jihad".
SWCBonfire
AG
FHKChE07 said:

So Wood Group took over AMEC Foster Wheeler today...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39253416

What's going to happen to the mining/MDM side of Amec Foster Wheeler?
Wocka Wocka
AG
Transocean looks to be selling 15 of their jack ups. Anyone hear anything on the likely buyer? I am going to guess Rowan or Ensco.
Wocka Wocka
AG
Looks like it will be Borr Drilling purchasing RIG's assets.

Borr Drilling is managed by former SDRL management, members of the Norwegian offshore mafia.
Goose06
AG
Wti is down below $48 this morning. I have a feeling our quarter end price may be below everyone's guesses. Anyone have a summary of all our guesses?
Betoisafurry
http://m.subseaworldnews.com/#newsitem-171285

Anybody heard about Hal buying aker? Any legs?
Cyp0111
I feel really bad for all the AGS in subsea.
Vernada
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I'm one of the many 'former' subsea ags. Almost two decades in. Pretty tough to have to start a new career after that.
Cyp0111
I agree. I hope you put away some cash money.
Vernada
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I agree. I hope you put away some cash money.
I had. I was in a fortunate spot which took a lot of stress out of the situation.
Cyp0111
Good for you and best of luck.
OCEN99
AG
Vernada said:

Cyp0111 said:

I'm one of the many 'former' subsea ags. Almost two decades in. Pretty tough to have to start a new career after that.
I just accepted an offer this morning 13 months after getting laid off. Very happy to be leaving O&G behind.
toastercombo
sts7049
topher06
What is the ROR on these Delaware and Permian wells when they're drilling into a $48 first year strip. Have to imagine they're destroying capital at an alarming rate to justify the recent acquisitions, but don't know enough to read through the sugar coated press releases.
Comeby!
AG
Yea I'm not sure how $50k/acre + D&C works.
Cyp0111
$50K an acre is a stock play game. It's accretive on a stock valuation basis only..
Comeby!
AG
Sounds like private companies need to stay out.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Comeby! said:

Yea I'm not sure how $50k/acre + D&C works.
this has been my question during this whole permian run up. factoring in D&C costs and being generous i figure in todays market and a generous strip. for a 30 year break even on the project you need to have a one well per year program for every 2 sections acquired. so for those big acquisitions you are looking at needing something on the order of 50-60 (non-dud) wells drilled and completed per year to make the project break even in 30 years. now this is all just my neanderthalish project economics as run by an engineer, so i know i am leaving a ton out, but it still to me just doesn't make economic sense if you don't pay for it in equity, and even then, it seems to make sense to the company but not to the shareholder...
cajunaggie08
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I'm still somehow surviving in it. Someone has got to keep what equipment is left operating out there working.
topher06
I agree with the beneficial for the company but not the stockholder statement. I know the economics are great on many Delaware Basin wells when you exclude the ridiculous acreage prices paid. However, I think the core is still being developed, while the acreage price is being shared with non-core acreage in almost every instance I have seen. I also do not believe there are 6 to 10 economic stacked targets in almost any part of the Delaware Basin, and it looks like none of the operators touting that number of targets has actually drilled more than 2-3 stacked laterals.

Have to believe some companies will come to their senses and look at non-Delaware/Permian soon to acquire upside at non-astronomical acreage prices, but the current trend appears to be just buy Delaware wherever you can find it so you can make a press release. To be fair, I think the acreage valuation in the Delaware after you strip out PDP at a PV10ish is more like $30k/ac than $50k/ac - still absurd, but less absurd.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Have heard EnCap and NGP are net sellers of the Permian at these price levels. Economics just don't make sense especially when you account for lack of infrastructure in many parts of the Delaware.
Zemira
AG
Questions on the Delaware/Permian plays.

So I get that acquiring random acreage is a bad move just to get into the basins. I am guessing acquiring acreage contiguous to your current acreage would be the smart thing?

How about expensive would it be for them to build their own infrastructure in the Delaware? Is it feasible for companies to get into midstream or expand their midstream assets to ensure they have an ability to get their upstream (hydrocarbon) products to market?
Cyp0111
Prohibitively.
First Page Last Page
Page 407 of 820

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.