Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,254,080 Views | 28622 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TheVarian
Talon2DSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm here. What's up.

Feel free to shoot me an email at dgarcia at pipelinecgllc dot com

Website is www pipelinecgllc dot com
End Of Message
AG
Talon has become my go to guy for pipeline/midstream issues. Very talented attorney and a hell of a good guy.

Can't say enough good things.
Talon2DSO
AG
Well *****..now I have to BE good!
Ag CPA
AG
API reporting a surprising 2.1MM build; I think the number that people will be focused on tomorrow is the gasoline inventories though. Would be nice to see a healthy drawdown regardless of where crude ends up.
Talon2DSO
AG
Thanks for the referral, everyone. We connected.
Comeby!
AG
Another successful Texags hookup.
bkag9824
AG
Talon - how is business?
Talon2DSO
AG
It's starting to pick up. It's been scary being on my own but I have a couple of irons in the fire I hope pan out. I've had opportunities come and go though. I figure that's part of the experience. These new proposed changes at PHMSA have made me popular lately. I've been working with E&Ps that own and operate pipelines on this. PHMSA is not their wheelhouse so this is great work for me when I can find it. Not too many PHMSA consultants up here.
aggies12thman
AG
API had a mixed report. Drop in gasoline inventories with a rise in crude.
Ag CPA
AG
EIA saying a crude build of 1.1 and a gasoline drawdown of 2.8.
Ag CPA
AG
Accidentally hit smiley face button on my phone, price reaction is nothing to be happy about.
TheVarian
AG
quote:
Was it this thread where a guy started his own pipeline compliance company? Need his info asap.
MfBarnes?

LostInLA07
AG
No he now runs Aramco
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
No he now runs Aramco
Hmm, must've lost quite a bit of weight! Saw the CEO of Aramco in Houston today and he was much thinner (and much more Arab)... Sure he isn't running Shell??
Talon2DSO
AG
Damn. I just got compared to the hardest working man in energy.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
I'd say you're doing alright
Talon2DSO
AG
On the pipeline front, there are a number of changes that may be coming our way soon. PHMSA (DoT, for those of you unfamiliar) released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in April that may greatly affect gathering lines. If you work for an E&P and own some gathering lines incidental to your operations, you may want to pay close attention to these proposed changes. Among the proposed changes is the repeal of API RP80. This will extend PHMSA jurisdiction to those certain Type A Class One gathering lines. For those keeping track at home, those are rural gas gathering lines with a diameter of 8 inches and operating at an MAOP greater than or equal to 20%...or operating at 125psi for nonmetallic lines. There will also be a newly defined Moderate Consequence Area that will bring along its own integrity management rules with it.

If you're in the gathering line business, feel free to reach out to me and I'll be happy to send you info. I'm even willing to come home and meet with you about this. I've been finding a number of E&Ps here in Appalachia needing some help with these.
TheVarian
AG
quote:
Damn. I just got compared to the hardest working man in energy.
Haha I'm sure he is proud of you.

On a serious note, I hope you and your endeavors are going well and continue to pick up. Wishing you only the best and success
Talon2DSO
AG
Thanks, pal.

My challenge right now is just getting my name out there. It's tough but fun.
Pabby
AG
quote:
On the pipeline front, there are a number of changes that may be coming our way soon. PHMSA (DoT, for those of you unfamiliar) released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in April that may greatly affect gathering lines. If you work for an E&P and own some gathering lines incidental to your operations, you may want to pay close attention to these proposed changes. Among the proposed changes is the repeal of API RP80. This will extend PHMSA jurisdiction to those certain Type A Class One gathering lines. For those keeping track at home, those are rural gas gathering lines with a diameter of 8 inches and operating at an MAOP greater than or equal to 20%...or operating at 125psi for nonmetallic lines. There will also be a newly defined Moderate Consequence Area that will bring along its own integrity management rules with it.

If you're in the gathering line business, feel free to reach out to me and I'll be happy to send you info. I'm even willing to come home and meet with you about this. I've been finding a number of E&Ps here in Appalachia needing some help with these.
Is that a State change or will this affect the entire US?
PeekingDuck
AG
Entire US
Talon2DSO
AG
quote:
quote:

Is that a State change or will this affect the entire US?

All over the US. This is the Department of Transportation's Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA). Take a look at PHMSA docket no 2011-0023. I'm happy to come down and talk to your team about it too.
PeekingDuck
AG
Strange that PHMSA is talking about GHG abatement when that isn't their duty.
Cepe
AG
Will affect drug testing programs too, I believe.

Need to be clear on what is a "control room" versus a "observation center" too from what I understand. I think how you define these has different requirements.
Talon2DSO
AG
quote:
Will affect drug testing programs too, I believe.

Need to be clear on what is a "control room" versus a "observation center" too from what I understand. I think how you define these has different requirements.

Absolutely. This will affect your Drug & Alcohol Programs, Operator Qualification programs, O&M, IMP, and public awareness programs.

If you have gathering lines that are 8 inches diameter or greater andetail operating at 20% smys or greater, we need to talk.
Vander
AG
http://www.oilfieldexpat.com/

This guy has a fantastic blog about different things he sees and has experienced in the industry. I've personally seen many of the things he talks about.

http://www.oilfieldexpat.com/?p=862

His description of Total is hilarious.

http://www.oilfieldexpat.com/?p=857

quote:

I was reminded of this recently when I was talking to a young engineer who in turn had been talking to what laughably gets called his Career Manager. He was being put under considerable pressure to take a position which was, in short, ****: it was a crap role in a dodgy location and would have put substantial strain on his family. Even the monetary uplift wasn't that great. One of the levers his management was using to encourage him was the promise that if he took the position better opportunities "might" open up for him "later", and the company would look upon his decision to go favourably and hinted he would be rewarded in some unspecified manner in the future. Perhaps because he knew I am the most cynical person in the entire oil industry, he came to me for advice.

I've had friends experience this one.

That whole post is full of good advice.

http://www.oilfieldexpat.com/?p=759

quote:
If a farmer receives a call from a neighbor that one of his sheep has escaped and is standing in the road, he will go out, fetch the sheep, and put it back in the field where it belongs. Most likely the farmer will then make a tour of the hedgerows and fences to see where the sheep got out, and close up the hole when he finds it. Certainly, if he gets two such calls about his sheep standing in the road he will make damned sure he finds the hole in the fence.
That's because farmers are sensible folk. Oil and gas managers? Less so. If you approach any random manager in a modern oil and gas organisation let's say a Procurement Manager and tell him a purchase order for a vital spare part has been stuck in his department for the past 6 weeks without going anywhere, he will probably ask you for a few details, find the purchase order himself, and then get it issued. And then he'll sit back and enjoy the warm glow of satisfaction he gets from a job well done, a problem solved, and make a mental note to include this episode in the weekly report under the heading "Achievements". If he does this often enough, it might even warrant a mention on his CV.
What the Procurement Manager will rarely do is find out why this PO was stuck in the system for 6 weeks and take steps to ensure it doesn't happen again. In other words, he'll keep letting the sheep escape onto the road and only see the problem as being this one sheep on the road right now. You can probably imagine what the farmer's neighbor will think of him after the third phone call. It will be much the same opinion that an engineer will have of the Procurement Manager.
The Procurement Manager will not solve the root cause of the problem for one of two reasons:
1. He knows what the problem is, but lacks the knowledge, authority, or courage to solve it. Usually this takes the form of a possibly useless subordinate who is not being managed properly, but who enjoys continued employment in the role.
2. He doesn't realise that managing a process for the purpose of achieving a desirable outcome is his reason for being employed.

I see this all the time and man does it piss me off. Let's focus on the symptoms and ignore the cause of the problem!
chrisrrtx
AG
I've worked in procurement and supply chain across almost all aspects and the amount I see this is ridiculous. It's amazing how little most companies put into optimizing the supply chain and let themselves get boxed into rules that they created.
That being said: I'm still trying to find work in supply chain if any one wants to help a brotha out.
Slappy74
AG
Large fire at Motiva in Convent, LA today.
sts7049
AG
damn that looks bad. sounds like no one was hurt.
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
damn that looks bad. sounds like no one was hurt.
Comfirmed no one hurt at this time. Fire was in a heavy crude unit, no explosion thankfully. Not sure of the cause just yet, but lightning is a possibility.

Know quite a few people at Motova refineries.
TommyGun
AG
quote:
I've worked in procurement and supply chain across almost all aspects and the amount I see this is ridiculous. It's amazing how little most companies put into optimizing the supply chain and let themselves get boxed into rules that they created.
That being said: I'm still trying to find work in supply chain if any one wants to help a brotha out.

I also work in supply chain. I'll just say this, a lot changes when you look up and 60% of the staff you had a year ago are gone. People start shaping up real quick and long standing issues get solved fast. If there is anything good that came of this downturn, it would be that many folks learned how to become efficient and actually give a damn in some cases. Unfortunately, that lesson was learned too late for a lot of folks.

I'll keep a lookout for any positions that may pop-up. We're razor thin with our procurement dept, so if we ramp up much more, then we'll likely have something become available.
Zemira
AG
PSA

Please please tell your friends, neighbors, relatives don't sign an agreement for working interest in a well if you don't know what you are agreeing to. Have someone knowledgeable review and explain it to them before they sign.

txaggie_08
AG
I feel for some individuals that end up inheriting a Working Interest that they have no clue how to manage. Then they start calling us trying to figure out how they can divest of their interest.

The people I never feel sorry for are the ones that willingly purchase working interest, sign contracts and participate in wells, and then don't exercise their rights under those agreements, but simply quit paying their invoices. We have a lot of that right now.
End Of Message
AG
Out of curiosity, how often are AFEs completely ignored? Rough estimate.
Zemira
AG
Yes, it's bad for us especially in some areas of Colorado doing all sorts of tricks.

So company A (owned by shady individual) signs a working interest and AFEs to drill well. They never pay for the well costs. At the date of first production they transfer interest to Company B (also owned by shady individual) so they get loe expenses but no well costs. Then they get mad when we won't pay out the revenue to company B because no one ever paid to drill the stupid well.
First Page Last Page
Page 362 of 818

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.