Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,247,673 Views | 28610 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by PeekingDuck
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's the opposite of what I saw in a lot of cases. Many groups were so under staffed and employees so overworked that they just stop caring. It was about the only way to deal with never being able to keep up.
TxAg20
AG
quote:
Out of curiosity, how often are AFEs completely ignored? Rough estimate.

Ignored in what manner?
End Of Message
AG
Not paid without giving a reason why
TheVarian
AG
Procurement is rough right meow
Zemira
AG
It's not just AFE costs that are ignored. LOE, leasehold and even P&A costs are just not paid.

In my limited experience non payment is almost completely a domestic US onshore problem.

Depending on the area and partners it can be rampant. The areas it is most common are onshore, many partners in a well, and they are small <5% owners usually. I haven't seen any publicly traded companies pulling shenanigans and not paying recently.
TommyGun
AG
quote:
That's the opposite of what I saw in a lot of cases. Many groups were so under staffed and employees so overworked that they just stop caring. It was about the only way to deal with never being able to keep up.

I was more referring to groups that were overstaffed and under-worked/under-performing and still didn't care (pre bust).

Every good employee has their tipping point I suppose. I knew quite a few great employees who got let go in the 3rd or 4th rounds who were actually kind of relieved at the thought of not having to keep up with the grind anymore. Not sure how I'd feel in that situation, but I can empathize a bit with them.

toastercombo

BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
quote:
http://www.oilfieldexpat.com/

This guy has a fantastic blog about different things he sees and has experienced in the industry. I've personally seen many of the things he talks about.
Thanks Vander! That blog is the best thing that has happened to me in weeks. Wonderful. Perfection.
agreed, good blog.
TxAg20
AG
quote:

There are typically rules set out in the JOA that deal with non-consent and not paying.

Of literally 1000s of AFEs my company has sent, one has been ignored. It's a trust managed by the Bank of New York. We sent the well proposal, AFE, and an offer to buy them out of the unit with no response. Now that the well is completed, their JIB (which they haven't paid in months) is fairly substantial. They finally called and asked what was going on. Big bills seem to get people's attention. Obviously, their revenue would be suspended until something is worked out.
MJ20/20
AG
Rig Count up 17 today.
Ag CPA
AG
Yah, took some steam out of the rally this morning; would love to see prices still close above $44 today despite it.
txaggie_08
AG
quote:
quote:

There are typically rules set out in the JOA that deal with non-consent and not paying.

Of literally 1000s of AFEs my company has sent, one has been ignored. It's a trust managed by the Bank of New York. We sent the well proposal, AFE, and an offer to buy them out of the unit with no response. Now that the well is completed, their JIB (which they haven't paid in months) is fairly substantial. They finally called and asked what was going on. Big bills seem to get people's attention. Obviously, their revenue would be suspended until something is worked out.
If they never responded to the proposal, why would they be getting billed? It would seem they should have been deemed non-consent and subject to payout penalties.

As Zemira said, it's usually the small owners that stop paying bills, and it hasn't occurred yet on new drills (haven't really drilled in my area in the past couple years) or reworks/recompletions. Usually they will just stop paying the standard operating expenses associated with older wells. Once they rack up a few thousand in outstanding invoices we contact them to settle up their account, and then they start trying to make excuses for it.
Skillet Shot
FYI Range has 2 petroleum engineering positions open in Houston. One drilling, one production.
AgLA06
AG
Do you have any connections at Range? A good friend of ours is a geologist that was just laid off by BP and is interested in one of the job postings.
TheMasterplan
quote:
FYI Range has 2 petroleum engineering positions open in Houston. One drilling, one production.

I cant imagine the amount of applicants these will have. Salary will be like $50k.
Skillet Shot
quote:
Do you have any connections at Range? A good friend of ours is a geologist that was just laid off by BP and is interested in one of the job postings.

Yes but I do not carry enough weight to influence decisions, especially in geology.
I can't imagine salaries will be under $100k, but I don't know specifics.
Vernada
AG
quote:
quote:

I cant imagine the amount of applicants these will have. Salary will be like $50k.

The way companies are starting to abuse labor it will probably be $40/hr on 1099.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Free market capitalism. We can't have it both ways.
John Maplethorpe
AG
When it bounces back those guys that were able to stick in the game and continue accruing experience yrs will be able to almost name their price.
Comeby!
AG
quote:
When it bounces back those guys that were able to stick in the game and continue accruing experience yrs will be able to almost name their price.

I call it 'draft pick money'.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:

We said the same thing in the 80's.... Mostly did NOT turn out that way since it did not come roaring back. The " recovery" was years and years slow plus many companies found out just how horrific they could treat the folks and have very little push back. Many survivors were so whipped that they simply became serfs to the company. Took a decade or 2 for competitive salaries to return.
Bayou City
Are you ever positive?
Goose06
AG
quote:
Are you ever positive?

I'd say the guy was pretty spot on with the OP. I'll take his negativity to get his insight...
aggie028
In hindsight is it any surprise he predicted a collapse?
brookline joe
AG
quote:
quote:
Are you ever positive?

I'd say the guy was pretty spot on with the OP. I'll take his negativity to get his insight...

I will say his original post was spot on roughly 2 years ago. I have been in biz since '88, I have seen 4 or more downturns. However, this one has been the most violent and damaging I have ever seen. But the dynamics of supply and demand (with some geopolitical influences), do not apply the same this time. The world and the economies of many countries are vastly different. Central Banks created and killed this bubble. Most Oil Companies and Service Providers are operated very differently now than in the '80's. In addition, generationally employees are a lot different as well.

I do see a slow snapback with employee talent being at a premium.
Goose06
AG
That's what great about this thread, getting to read lots of different insights from seasoned vets. We can all take it all in and form our own opinions
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:
quote:

The way companies are starting to abuse labor it will probably be $40/hr on 1099.
that is like $88k /postersthathaveneverworked1099
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:

We said the same thing in the 80's.... Mostly did NOT turn out that way since it did not come roaring back. The " recovery" was years and years slow plus many companies found out just how horrific they could treat the folks and have very little push back. Many survivors were so whipped that they simply became serfs to the company. Took a decade or 2 for competitive salaries to return.
that may be the case then, but I imagine the salaries will continue to be competitive however; I don't think the hiring train will be like it was 5-6 years ago.
Goose06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

that may be the case then, but I imagine the salaries will continue to be competitive however; I don't think the hiring train will be like it was 5-6 years ago.

I suspect one big difference in 2016 vs 1986 is the diversity of the Texas economy
Vernada
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

that is like $88k /postersthathaveneverworked1099

Ha. Exactly.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I suspect one big difference in 2016 vs 1986 is the diversity of the Texas economy

Absolutely. But even with the shale boom in 2009 companies were hiring anyone that was somewhat competent. My guess is that we don't see the labor force in the industry reach levels seen at the end of 2013 for a long long time.
WooWoo
quote:
quote:

I know you're exaggerating a bit, but first year engineers who are able to land jobs are still making around 100k. Range's positions are both for engineers with at least 6 years experience, so I'm sure they'll get compensated well.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
Are you ever positive?

There is a very fine line between reality and negativity. If you enjoy lollipops and candy canes I strongly suggest you do NOT read anything I post . If you do I suggest you refute anything I say with counter arguments and years of experience.
Yes!!!!! I post a lot of reality ( negative ) posts especially about this bust. ALL based on personal ( painful) very first hand experience ! A guy made a statement , largely based on wish upon a star reasoning and I simply said what ACTUALLY happened during the last hard bust.
Take it for what it is.
AggieOil
AG
I wish you weren't but you're right....again.
toastercombo

First Page Last Page
Page 363 of 818

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.