Credit Card Churning

108,915 Views | 738 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by 62strat
Smokedraw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone on here use this method to accrue points?
62strat
AG
I currently am. Seems there are lots of others.

Hoping to get companion pass around may of next year.
kyle field 94
AG
I am looking for another credit card to accumulate points. Currently have sw and earn companion pass yearly. What is a good overall card to get next? We tend to vacation more in vrbo or condos than in hotels, so don't want to really want to be tied to a specific hotel brand card
Bulldog73
AG
If VrBO is your goal, then something like the BarclayCard or Capital One Venture card is great. One of the capital one cards has a huge sign up bonus right now.

For flights and such, I strongly lean to the Chase Ultimate Rewards cards, but no VRBO or AirBNB.
Bulldog73
AG
Usually, hotels and such are cheap enough that I'm willing to pay for them moreso than the flights, so I try to use diverse points for flights and if I happen to have free stays, great, if not, I'll pay.
Objective Aggie
AG
kyle field 94 said:

I am looking for another credit card to accumulate points. Currently have sw and earn companion pass yearly. What is a good overall card to get next? We tend to vacation more in vrbo or condos than in hotels, so don't want to really want to be tied to a specific hotel brand card

You can earn 20,000 points when a friend is approved for a Starwood Preferred Guest Card, up to 55,000 points for referrals in a year. Plus, your friend can earn 75,000 points after they spend $3,000 in purchases on their new Card in the first three months of Card Membership.

To refer this pre-approved offer, click the button below. Offer ends 1/9/2019.
Complete a referral

My Starwood (Mariott) AMEX just sent me this.
I get 20,000 points and you get 75,000 points if you open a new card.
Send me your email address / name via PM or in this thread.
culdeus
AG
The best source of information by far is r/churning.

If completely new to the game use their flow chart for a year or more first, before getting super hardcore.

Do check back every few months for updates:

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/9hf4ex/faq_credit_card_recommendation_flowchart/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=churning&utm_content=t5_2vrf0

One thing to point that this flowchart overlooks is since American is strong in this area, churning AA mailers hardcore is a very good option if you have need for AA miles. I've churned 18 AA cards in the prior 2 years while sprinkling in another 15 or so here and there.

Southwest CP is also a really strong option in this area that should be looked at first as well, but that's a user specific situation and hard to maintain just on cards long term.

It's a really rewarding hobby that enabled me to take some insane trips already, and planning more all the time.
Bulldog73
AG
AA cards are that easy to churn? I may need to get my feet wet there. They have some really good redemptions when you can find SAAver fares.
culdeus
AG
Bulldog73 said:

AA cards are that easy to churn? I may need to get my feet wet there. They have some really good redemptions when you can find SAAver fares.
If married you should be able to flip a biz card every 95 days (each person) earning roughly 160k miles every 95 days and every 60 days an additional ~65-70k.

If you care about 5/24 status then you are probably hardcapped at about 650k a year. (Again, using wife also)

If you don't care about 5/24 you can pull about 1.8Million a year if you really hustle. 1.5M is realistic.

They are not MS sensitive so if you have a way to turn gift cards into money orders you can do these for about ehhh maybe $35 in fees per card.
culdeus
AG
Objective Aggie said:

kyle field 94 said:

You can earn 20,000 points when a friend is approved for a Starwood Preferred Guest Card, up to 55,000 points for referrals in a year. Plus, your friend can earn 75,000 points after they spend $3,000 in purchases on their new Card in the first three months of Card Membership.

To refer this pre-approved offer, click the button below. Offer ends 1/9/2019.
Complete a referral

My Starwood (Mariott) AMEX just sent me this.
I get 20,000 points and you get 75,000 points if you open a new card.
Send me your email address / name via PM or in this thread.
I would not advise doing this for several reasons. Read the flow chart I posted first for comprehensive reasons why this would be well down the list of your card order.
DallasAg2
AG
Yes and constantly!

I have a lot of British Airways avios points and I need to use them but not sure when or where. Suggestions?
culdeus
AG
DallasAg2 said:

Yes and constantly!

I have a lot of British Airways avios points and I need to use them but not sure when or where. Suggestions?
BA points are actually best used on Iberia to travel to/from Spain. There are some really creative itinerary options using them this way.

From the USA it is difficult to avoid fuel surcharges flying on BA or AA metal under Avios flying from anywhere in the US to the UK. You can end up paying more in fuel surcharges than you would literally buying a ticket on AA in the off season.

Alternatively you can use Avios to fly to Mexico/Carib on AA Metal but you will get less value for your $$ this way.

Most other uses are going to be pretty low value. They are oneworld so you can sometimes find loopholes or get some unicorn that lets you go to singapore in a rainman suite or something.
JobSecurity
AG
Holy **** that is crazy

What does this do to your credit score? I don't know enough about how it's weighted to know if the incredibly low utilization offsets the low age of the accounts
62strat
AG
foleyt said:

Holy **** that is crazy

What does this do to your credit score? I don't know enough about how it's weighted to know if the incredibly low utilization offsets the low age of the accounts
If you're not buying a house anytime soon, and you have generally good or better credit.. who cares?

Pay it off each month, and you'll be fine.

I've opened 6-8 cards in the last few years, I haven't noticed any negative impact on credit score, in fact, it's gone up a few points. I'm 800+
Silky Johnston
I have opened/closed around 20 cards over the last three years and my credit score has climbed from 720 to north of 800 depending on the credit bureau. I had already opened a mortgage around card 5, but have recently bought a truck and opened a HELOC with the best possible rates because of my credit score. Only had a question from the loan officer about the number of accounts and told her about credit card churning. She thought it was genius and signed all the paperwork.
culdeus
AG
foleyt said:

Holy **** that is crazy

One of the myths the credit card companies want you to think is that having a bunch of accounts hurts your credit, but this is actually quite the opposite. Short of forgetting to pay off a credit card or something you will raise, if not max out, your FICO8.

The game is getting a lot tighter these days. The rules are going against churners every day now. Get in while there is still time.

Got another Citi card, today.
sincereag
I recently received a promo application for a Barclays AA credit card which gives you 50,000 miles. Just have to pay the $95 annual fee and make a purchase using the card. Not a bad deal for 50,000 AA miles.
Hincemm
AG
As I digest that reddit flowchart, can anyone help my specific situation? Fly aa primarily out of DFW. Currently have Amex platinum, aa blue cash, and aviator mc. What's the next best bang for the buck?
Petrino1
culdeus said:

foleyt said:

Holy **** that is crazy

One of the myths the credit card companies want you to think is that having a bunch of accounts hurts your credit, but this is actually quite the opposite. Short of forgetting to pay off a credit card or something you will raise, if not max out, your FICO8.

The game is getting a lot tighter these days. The rules are going against churners every day now. Get in while there is still time.

Culdeus, I know there's restrictions on a lot of cards for how many times you can sign up for them and the bonuses (Chase 5/24 rule). What are some good cards/bonuses that you can churn over and over again without any restrictions? I heard the Barclays cards are infinitely churn-able, any others?
culdeus
AG
ea1060 said:

culdeus said:

foleyt said:

Holy **** that is crazy

Culdeus, I know there's restrictions on a lot of cards for how many times you can sign up for them and the bonuses (Chase 5/24 rule). What are some good cards/bonuses that you can churn over and over again without any restrictions? I heard the Barclays cards are infinitely churn-able, any others?
Reddit is really the best resource for all the early questions you have:

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/819r08/list_of_antichurning_rules/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=churning&utm_content=t5_2vrf0

The above guide has all the restrictions from the different issuers.

Barclays is not easy to churn, they are hard pull and account sensitive.

FiTxAg04
AG
What is the best way to maximize Amex points for flights? I got the new Gold card and hit the spend for the 50k bonus. Then I signed up under a targeted 100k offer for the Platinum card and am currently working on that spend. I need to book a flight to San Diego in February and going through Amex travel, their prices are respectable, but it looks to only redeem points for 1.0c. When I look into transferring points to airlines, it looks to me like the points transfer at a 1:1 ratio to American and Delta.

I did just use my $100 and $200 airline credits to buy AA gift cards.
Hincemm
AG
FiTxAg04 said:

This works on Amex platinum for aa?
culdeus
AG
FiTxAg04 said:

What is the best way to maximize Amex points for flights? I got the new Gold card and hit the spend for the 50k bonus. Then I signed up under a targeted 100k offer for the Platinum card and am currently working on that spend. I need to book a flight to San Diego in February and going through Amex travel, their prices are respectable, but it looks to only redeem points for 1.0c. When I look into transferring points to airlines, it looks to me like the points transfer at a 1:1 ratio to American and Delta.

Amex points are IMO at least not super valuable unless you find a unicorn redemption you can get on a first class seat on a transfer. They do exist, but they will be difficult to find consistently and requires more work than is .

With Amex MR you need to be looking at an exit strategy that includes the Schwab Plat that exits at 1.25cpp.

culdeus
AG
Hincemm said:

FiTxAg04 said:

This works on Amex platinum for aa?

Yes, but you need to designate AA your airline first if you haven't already.
Hincemm
AG
Done. Thanks
FiTxAg04
AG
That's disappointing. The Points Guy made it sound like he values MR points at 1.9c/point. I guess you have to really work and wait to get that kind of value. I'll have to analyze the Gold point multiplier vs UR redemption values going forward. In the mean time, I'll use what I have and not worry about it too much.
culdeus
AG
The points guy is notorious for inflating point values.

Just understand the value of points he uses mostly is leveraging long haul J redemptions.

The availability of these is going to be very regional specific. In DFW MR are pretty useless (above Schwab level) since you will have AA metal available in spades and AA points flow like wine.

For a NYC based person value should be higher.

Vernada
AG
Reading this thread is almost like reading Latin.

I'm glad I don't have to travel enough for this to make sense.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I haven been think about this, I already travel 100k miles and 100 nights a year and get to keep my work points, this would take me to the next level
culdeus
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I haven been think about this, I already travel 100k miles and 100 nights a year and get to keep my work points, this would take me to the next level
Hotels are actually really generous with loyalty earn rate. If you can use your own credit cards for the stays, then you can honestly start thinking along the overwater bora bora type redemptions.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I usually hit overwater bora bora level for a week number once a year with my current travel and spend. I can't use my personal card but I do get to get keep all my membership rewards but I The MR redemption sucks. I may start with companion pass so I can use American for International first class only.
pocketrockets06
AG
I value Amex MR points around 1.5 cpp based on transferring them to Delta. I seem to be able to get 1.5 cpp on Delta flights pretty consistently. Otherwise I prefer to use SW points and UR points for flights.
FiTxAg04
AG
I guess I'll hold out to see if I can get a decent transfer rate to Delta. Currently transferring at 1:1.

I do have an offer to transfer to Hilton Honors at a 1:3 ratio. Would trading 50,000 MR for 150,000 HH points be a good deal? I still need to book a few nights for a February trip.
752bro4
AG
FiTxAg04 said:

I guess I'll hold out to see if I can get a decent transfer rate to Delta. Currently transferring at 1:1.

I do have an offer to transfer to Hilton Honors at a 1:3 ratio. Would trading 50,000 MR for 150,000 HH points be a good deal? I still need to book a few nights for a February trip.
I'm transferring 45k Amex at 3:1 Hilton for 3 nights in Napa in Feb. Usually a 2:1 transfer. This is a 1.6 - 1.63c value, which is under TPG's valuation. But reading around the internet, his valuations are typically thought of as inflated.
culdeus
AG
Transfer to hotel partners is usually thought to be low value but some sweet redemptions happen on the high category.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.