***** Official Houston Astros 2026-27 Off Season Thread *****

20,841 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 38 min ago by CharleyKerfeld
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

07ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

Is it too early for off-the-wall off-season content?

As a thought experiment, I constructed a starting 9 of former Astros who played 2B at some point for the Astros and then played another position for the Astros:

C: Biggio
1B: Yuli Gurriel
2B: Billy Doran
SS: Dickie Thon
3B: Phil Garner
CF: Dubon
LF: Altuve
RF: Joe Morgan
DH: Kent

Who did I miss? I think this would be a pretty salty playoff contender. It may be better to flip/flop Joe Morgan and Dubon positions. What would be the optimal lineup?

As for the current Astros, I am ready for the full rebuild. It was an outstanding run and capping it off a division win is a great story. But I think there is too much wrong with the roster as constructed to just retool a few pieces.


Need a pitcher, grae kessinger played both
https://ts.la/eric59704
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:



Astros need to cut Sousa before he gets an arbitration raise
SpaceCityAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep. Meyers and Sousa are a quick trim here.
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SpaceCityAg05 said:

Yep. Meyers and Sousa are a quick trim here.


Meyers may be worth holding onto for the price. He was better than all our other options this season, despite not getting much playtime.

Sousa can pound sand though
SpaceCityAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wouldn't waste cap space on crap production.

Upgrade (which is what we need to do) or else play someone like Spence who is cheaper.
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SpaceCityAg05 said:

I wouldn't waste cap space on crap production.

Upgrade (which is what we need to do) or else play someone like Spence who is cheaper.

Don't necessarily disagree.

Get rid of Jake but keep Spence and Joey

Ideally you upgrade at least one position in the OF to someone with a positive WAR
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Could be nothin', could be somethin'
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yordong gets us on the board

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Yordong gets us on the board




Salsa volcano sounds like what toilets in college station went through after late night Fuego runs
Ag4life80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's probably half a dozen AAAA guys on the 40 man that need to be cut loose. They've their shot here, couldn't get it done, so let them pursue other opportunities while creating some new blood competition within our system with free agent signings.
Agstro
How long do you want to ignore this user?
houag78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in the camp of cleaning house and getting some fresh young players in the process. Keep Yordan and Jose only.
Shayboy3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
You need a complete overhaul in the outfield and half pitching staff needs to go.
Starts at the top, hire a good GM and new coaching staff.
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shayboy3 said:

You need a complete overhaul in the outfield and half pitching staff needs to go.
Starts at the top, hire a good GM and new coaching staff.



Yep. For this year I'd go pitching overhaul and then try to get some outfield prospects in trades, or focus your drafting on that spot
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty sure we won't see an OF overhaul.

Cam in RF isn't going anywhere.

Right or wrong Lucas will get every chance now in CF. He's the new Jake/Chas/Joey.

LF needs a real every day player.
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If we get the right manager in place, or really almost anyone, Cam is the player I'm the most excited about for the next several years. There aren't many true power/speed combo guys out there anymore. I'd even bat him leadoff with Pena 2nd at some point to take advantage of his speed.
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/seattle-mariners-news/149957/mariners-news-ray-kerr-torey-lovullo-and-joe-espada

At true match made in heaven.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CharleyKerfeld said:

If we get the right manager in place, or really almost anyone, Cam is the player I'm the most excited about for the next several years. There aren't many true power/speed combo guys out there anymore. I'd even bat him leadoff with Pena 2nd at some point to take advantage of his speed.

Cam is going to have to improve his OBP quite a bit for me to want him at leadoff.
gambochaman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Christmas wish this year is for the Ms to hire Espada
superaggie73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

CharleyKerfeld said:

If we get the right manager in place, or really almost anyone, Cam is the player I'm the most excited about for the next several years. There aren't many true power/speed combo guys out there anymore. I'd even bat him leadoff with Pena 2nd at some point to take advantage of his speed.

Cam is going to have to improve his OBP quite a bit for me to want him at leadoff.


While true, Cam's pitch recognition and swing and miss doesn't appear to be too much different than Pena's year 1 and 2. Improve those 2 things like Pena did and you have a real weapon.
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No no no. Let's don't put a .208 hitter at leadoff in front of Yordan.

What we need is someone who has an OBA of .380 or higher. With speed.
BCEDAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
houag78 said:

I'm in the camp of cleaning house and getting some fresh young players in the process. Keep Yordan and Jose only.

I would also keep Wesneski, Cam and Hader. Abreu, Brown, Peña and Diaz should net decent returns, and hopefully trade Walker for something just to get his $20 million off the books.
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
redline248 said:

CharleyKerfeld said:

If we get the right manager in place, or really almost anyone, Cam is the player I'm the most excited about for the next several years. There aren't many true power/speed combo guys out there anymore. I'd even bat him leadoff with Pena 2nd at some point to take advantage of his speed.

Cam is going to have to improve his OBP quite a bit for me to want him at leadoff.

That's why I said "at some point"
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CharleyKerfeld said:

redline248 said:

CharleyKerfeld said:

If we get the right manager in place, or really almost anyone, Cam is the player I'm the most excited about for the next several years. There aren't many true power/speed combo guys out there anymore. I'd even bat him leadoff with Pena 2nd at some point to take advantage of his speed.

Cam is going to have to improve his OBP quite a bit for me to want him at leadoff.

That's why I said "at some point"

I mean, that sounds great, and I agree...if that point ever gets here. He did have a pretty good August
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Astros are moving on to the Cancun ALDS!!

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Of course now we get to Cancun and guys hit with runners in scoring position and our pitchers go 6+ innings with zero walks
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CFTXAG10 said:

In

Wishlist
1) New GM that has FULL control (from outside the current org)
2) New manager that is hand selected by #1 (from outside the current org)
3) PITCHING. PITCHING. PITCHING.
4) Get a deal in front of JP asap and if he won't play ball find a trade partner
5) Take out the trash, looking at you Sousa
Starting the wishlist with a non starter. Gonna be a long few years for you
Ag4life80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Michael Brantley was THE perfect LF for the Astros. He needs to be the template to fill that position.
We need to find a major league quality catcher. Diaz has been atrocious behind the plate. I would love to get Ali Camarillo from the A's organization at short. Very good numbers at the plate ( which got better upon being promoted to AA ) and the A's have their young SS in place. He reminds me of Dubon, but with pop.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MaxPower said:

CFTXAG10 said:

In

Wishlist
1) New GM that has FULL control (from outside the current org)
2) New manager that is hand selected by #1 (from outside the current org)
3) PITCHING. PITCHING. PITCHING.
4) Get a deal in front of JP asap and if he won't play ball find a trade partner
5) Take out the trash, looking at you Sousa

Starting the wishlist with a non starter. Gonna be a long few years for you

Yeah, it is a reasonable list, but literally none of it can or will happen. Crane is not going to get a good GM with the reputation he and Bagwell have for meddling now.
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He's the perfect LF for any team. He has 34 WAR and was a 5 time all star. Those don't grow on trees
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txags92 said:

MaxPower said:

CFTXAG10 said:

In

Wishlist
1) New GM that has FULL control (from outside the current org)
2) New manager that is hand selected by #1 (from outside the current org)
3) PITCHING. PITCHING. PITCHING.
4) Get a deal in front of JP asap and if he won't play ball find a trade partner
5) Take out the trash, looking at you Sousa

Starting the wishlist with a non starter. Gonna be a long few years for you

Yeah, it is a reasonable list, but literally none of it can or will happen. Crane is not going to get a good GM with the reputation he and Bagwell have for meddling now.


I agree. It's a wish not an expectation
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife doesn't want to go because it might rain, so does anybody want my extra for free for the Aggie game tonight?

Section 412, row 18. I'll be there in the seat next to you

Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjack16 said:

Wife doesn't want to go because it might rain, so does anybody want my extra for free for the Aggie game tonight?

Section 412, row 18. I'll be there in the seat next to you




Only if you wrap the ticket in a $100 bill.
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guardians have left the bases loaded twice against the white Sox without scoring a run. I think Joe might be in the Cleveland dugout
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.