*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

725,491 Views | 12534 Replies | Last: 9 min ago by DallasAg 94
Water Boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like no one wants to win the division this year. 85 wins may be all it takes.
South Platte
Houston lost. Fairbanks looked really nasty. His slider seemed to break about 2 feet.
South Platte
Dave Raymond: "Robbie Grossman is really good vs left hand pitching."

*Strikes out looking 2 seconds later*
Grapesoda2525
3 hits total.

Pathetic effort
sburg2007
Houston and Seattle lose again. Next three are HUGE.
Grapesoda2525
Meanwhile

Quote:

From Shawn McFarland:

The Rangers have given up 63 runs in their last nine games. That's an average of 7 runs per game, and more than 20 per series.

Toronto scored 20 runs.
St. Louis scored 21 runs.
Boston scored (so far) 22 runs.

Texas, barring a comeback today, will be 2-7 in that stretch.
Pitching staff smells worse than a dead skunk right now. They are stinking up the park and making people head for the exits while holding their nose.

Bochy needs to get some deodorant, soap, and Lysol in the club house asap.
jkag89

Seems like only a few seasons ago. Damn I'm getting old.
Grapesoda2525
If we win 2 out of 3 or sweep Houston, we are back in the hunt sort of.

Big if tho
South Platte
sburg2007 said:

But is it really? Last year Houston stumbled into Arlington and gave us epic beatdown, yet we rallied to win the WS.

Sweeping Houston would be nice but the confounding problems with this team aren't going away.

Hopefully Young is 100% focused on evaluating all things 2025.

Jimtim1216
S
IMO. Barring a minor miracle finish that this team needs to move on from Adolis. They need to find a DH with some power and 1B potential. More Bullpen pieces. 2-3.

Carter, Seager,Semien, Langford, Jung, Lowe, DH, Heim, Tevares

DeGrom, Mahle , Nathan, Rocker, Bradford
CowtownAg06
AG
South Platte said:

sburg2007 said:

But is it really? Last year Houston stumbled into Arlington and gave us epic beatdown, yet we rallied to win the WS.

Sweeping Houston would be nice but the confounding problems with this team aren't going away.

Hopefully Young is 100% focused on evaluating all things 2025.

At this point there is nothing CY can do on 2025 until the offseason. A run to the playoffs, while unlikely, is still the hope.
South Platte
Jimtim1216 said:

IMO. Barring a minor miracle finish that this team needs to move on from Adolis.
I get it, but I'm not there yet. 2 more years of team control with him.

I mean, everyone has let us down this year except Josh Smith. Semien and Seager are there to give us a home run when we are up 8-0 or down 8-0, but rarely come through when we absolutely have to have it. Heim has been horrible, Lowe lousy, Langford has had some bright spots with weak power, and the list goes on and on. Backup catcher selection was total horsepiss.

And let's not even get started with our fragile pitching staff. Outside of D Rob and Yates, and sometimes Evo, the whole staff can suck it.
rbtexan
S
South Platte said:

Jimtim1216 said:

IMO. Barring a minor miracle finish that this team needs to move on from Adolis.

I mean, everyone has let us down this year except Josh Smith. Semien and Seager are there to give us a home run when we are up 8-0 or down 8-0, but rarely come through when we absolutely have to have it. Heim has been horrible, Lowe lousy, Langford has had some bright spots with weak power, and the list goes on and on. Backup catcher selection was total horsepiss.

And let's not even get started with our fragile pitching staff. Outside of D Rob and Yates, and sometimes Evo, the whole staff can suck it.
IMO, Garcia is much much easier to walk away from than any of the others you mentioned. His age is a concern - he'll be 32 next season - and hitting around .200 for the season isn't the same for a 30-something player as it is for someone in their 20s.

I'm of the belief that we've already squeezed all of the juice out of Adolis that there is to squeeze. His value is diminishing, not growing. I doubt we'd get more for him later than we would this off season. JMO
Jimbo Franchione
sburg2007
In terms of this thing just being "over," yes. Get swept and you're 7.5 games behind Houston. Sweep and you're 1.5 back. Are they likely to make noise? Probably not, but if there's a punchers chance I'll hold out hope.
beagle2009
AG
I'm not usually one for hyperbole, but sure feels like the season is riding on this series.
KT 90
AG
rbtexan said:

South Platte said:

Jimtim1216 said:

IMO, Garcia is much much easier to walk away from than any of the others you mentioned. His age is a concern - he'll be 32 next season - and hitting around .200 for the season isn't the same for a 30-something player as it is for someone in their 20s.

I'm of the belief that we've already squeezed all of the juice out of Adolis that there is to squeeze. His value is diminishing, not growing. I doubt we'd get more for him later than we would this off season. JMO

When we avoided arbitration with Garica prior to the season, he got a 2 year deal. 2 years, $14M total. Year 2 is for $9.25M, so unless he starts to hit that contract will be hard to trade away without including some cash in the deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/player/_/id/27845/adolis-garc%C3%ADa
KT 90
AG
Langford back in the lineup tonight, at DH:

Water Boy
AG
We have about 50 games left and according to fangraphs we have a 6% chance to make the playoffs. Lose this series or get swept and our playoff odds probably go to less than 3%.
Water Boy
AG
Currently 6 games under .500 and 5.5 games back from the division with 50 games left. 31 of the remaining games come against winning teams. If this isn't a must win series then I don't know what is.
South Platte
rbtexan said:

South Platte said:

Jimtim1216 said:

I get it. Still, I refuse to believe a guy who has taken care of his body the way he has, and has mostly avoided injury, is old all of a sudden. All of a sudden he sucks at baseball. This is the first time he's been a high profile player and struggled. The fans love this guy. I hope he figures it out.
rbtexan
S
Oh, I hope he figures it out as well. I'm just of the belief that he was playing over his head the past couple of years.

Don't know if you're old enough to remember George Wright - he had two great seasons for the Rangers in '82 and '83, then was just OK in '84, and fell to pieces after that. I worry that Adolis is on the same track.

When I was younger I had a book called (I think) Total Baseball, that had the stats of every player who ever played in MLB, going back to the 1800's. I went through it page by page, because I was always a stats nerd. It was really fascinating to me how many guys had 2 or 3 good to great seasons and then disappeared - for various reasons obviously. But I did pick up on a lot of trends that we're pretty consistent. An example being that very, very, very few players hit better in the majors than they did in the minors...which is why I've never been high on Foscue, because he never really hit that well in the minors. I don't know why anyone could reasonably expect a guy who hits about .250 in the minors to hit better than that in the big leagues, or even as good.

Adolis played about 3 seasons in the minors and was a .266 hitter. Which is actually a bit skewed because he hit .290 in his first season and then .256 and .253, struck out a ton and had about an .800 OPS. I know it seems like he's been a really good hitter for the Rangers, but he's always hit around .240/.250 and struck out a lot. For his career, he's a .237 hitter with a .297 OBP and a .750 OPS. That's likely all he's ever going to be, and as he gets older that's not going to get better, it's going to get worse.

If I'm the Rangers, I try to trade Adolis during the off-season for whatever I can get - unless he really turns it around the last couple of months of this season. That's just me, though.
Jimbo Franchione
Mr Gigem
AG
Hitting coach needs to get up Langfords ass. He's already watched like 4 pitches right down the middle tonight
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Hitting coach needs to be replaced in the offseason. The approach at the plate has been horrible all year.
shack009
AG
Wtf was that throw
KT 90
AG
Tied up , 1-1. What a terrible throw by the LF McCormick
Water Boy
AG
Can't expect much more from Heaney. He did his job tonight.
gigem1223
This umps strike zone is ridiculous
shack009
AG
Langford showing off the warning track power again...
KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

This umps strike zone is ridiculous

I am sure Heaney has got one or two of them, but it sure feels like Brown has quite a few more. The umpire scorecard may not be kind to this guy tomorrow whenever it comes out.
Mr Gigem
AG
We took Heaney out for this?
KT 90
AG
Mr Gigem said:

I hear you. But to be fair, Heaney usually sucks the third time through the lineup.
shack009
AG
Hell of a job by Chafin..
shack009
AG
KT 90 said:

Mr Gigem said:

I hear you. But to be fair, Heaney usually sucks the third time through the lineup.
And he got barreled pretty good by Bregman and Yordan despite recording outs.
beagle2009
AG
BIG COUNTRY
TefIon Don
AG
Beer time in honor of Chafin
First Page Last Page
Page 320 of 359

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.