*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

725,200 Views | 12531 Replies | Last: 40 min ago by shack009
Tksymm7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know this or if there are any statistics behind it, but I truly believe the Rangers are the worst team in the MLB at drafting and progressing pitchers to the MLB.
Water Boy
AG
Playoff game tonight.
DallasAg 94
Depends on which change you're talking about?

Tom House with Ps throwing footballs?

JD had a thought that HS Ps had not developed the core body strength needed and were more prone to TJ because of it. So, he decided to take HS drafted Ps and not allow them to P until the following Spring. The idea was to
2018 June Draft
1.15: Winn
2.55: White - 5/1/2019
4.19: Englert - 4/12/2019

That 2018 draft was a complete disaster.

With the new MiLB structure... AAA teams have moved to more of a 6-Game series to reduce travel and costs. That has led to a 6-Man rotation in some cases where, like College, you have a pitcher based on the day of the week. JD toyed with that idea and Cole Hamels responded harshly.

If you are concerned about the Rangers arms... this site maintains TJ information:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gQujXQQGOVNaiuwSN680Hq-FDVsCwvN-3AazykOBON0/edit?gid=1093272673#gid=1093272673

The Dodgers are probably the best at developing SP, along with StL Cards and Atlanta Braves.

The Rangers have been more prone to signing rehab pitchers which may lend itself to having higher numbers.

Don't forget JD went with the recovering Dillon Tate so we could sign him for less so we could also get Matuella. Both guys were projected as ToTR guys that were recovering from injuries that we were hoping to get 2 ToTR guys in one darft.

Kumar Rocker was damaged goods, as we did the same thing with him.
DallasAg 94
EastSideAg2002 said:

Proposition Joe said:

The Rangers have changed their minor league pitching approach every few years for the last 3 decades.

Though I'm sure that's pretty standard across all clubs that don't have elite production from their farms.
Step 1: Identify who develops Tampa's pitching farm.
Step 2: Pay them double their salary to come to the Rangers.
Step 3: ...
Step 4: Profit
You can't really compare Tampa.

First, they get extra Competitive Balance picks. If you get an additional 2nd and/or 3rd Rd pick, you're going to have more-better players.

Tampa is looking to trade Arozarena (we interested?). They get guys like Pete Fairbanks in trades that don't require a ton of development.

Their current rotation:
Eflin - joined Tampa after 7 years with the Phillies.
Littell - spent 5 years with Minn and SFG before joining Tampa
Pepiot - played for LAD for 2 seasons and was traded this offseason to Tampa for Glasnow.
Civale - spent 5 years with CLE before joining Tampa last year and has now been traded to Mil.
Bradley - only current rotation guy drafted by Tampa (5th Rd 2018) and has 2 years on the big club.

Two other guys have GS - Armstrong spent 7 years in MLB before joining Tampa and Baz (drafted by Tampa and been horrible).

I get the narrative... they always seem to find Ps and created Aces out of crap. Part of that has to do with their stadium.
DallasAg 94
For many years, the Rangers focused drafting more hitters than pitchers realizing they had a higher probability of success and then trading them for Ps. Especially in the '90s and '00s.

During the early RBiA years, the park was so hitter friendly, that even if we had good P they sukced.

One last point... for a dozen years or so, we had Bakersfield as our A+ affiliate. That was considered one of the worst stadiums in all the minor leagues. Then, we affiliated with the High Desert team. Both were among the highest scoring stadiums in minor league ball. I'm not sure how much that impacted our Ps development, but you can imagine it probably didn't help.

Last point... our ST and dev site is Arizona. It is well documented that the thinner and drier air impacts Ps breaking pitches. If you spend ST practicing in Az and not getting the bit or feel... then go to a place like Hickory or Down East... even Frisco... your pitches aren't going to translate.

Teams like LADs would draft heavily on P.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

Mahle to start tonight in Round Rock. Dunning also expected to come in in relief.

Hill DFAd, which kinda sucks. Liked him.
shack009
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

EastSideAg2002 said:

Proposition Joe said:

The Rangers have changed their minor league pitching approach every few years for the last 3 decades.

Though I'm sure that's pretty standard across all clubs that don't have elite production from their farms.
Step 1: Identify who develops Tampa's pitching farm.
Step 2: Pay them double their salary to come to the Rangers.
Step 3: ...
Step 4: Profit
Tampa is looking to trade Arozarena (we interested?). They get guys like Pete Fairbanks in trades that don't require a ton of development.

We should see which of our minor league pitchers they want for Arozarena, tell them to pound sand, and then focus our entire organization (or perhaps an outside organization with a proven track record) on that guy's development.
shack009
AG
Would have rather had Hill DHing last night than Jankowski. Who cares about R/L matchups when your guy is a 5th outfielder who has never been a solid hitter?
Tksymm7
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Mahle to start tonight in Round Rock. Dunning also expected to come in in relief.

Hill DFAd, which kinda sucks. Liked him.
How I feel reading this
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Hill
v RHP: .208, 0HR, 24 PA
v LHP: .316, 3HR, 21 PA

Janko
v RHP, .227, 1 HR, 138 PA
v LHP, .000, 0 HR, 10 PA

sburg2007
At the end of the day these dudes are all people and most of them are really good guys.

Flounder Dorfman
AG
It is very easy to forget that.
fc2112
Yeah NO RUNS for O's in first inning!
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Man, Dave Raymond is so hard to listen to.

Nice guy, but my gosh…
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Pitch challenges absolutely have to start next season.
fc2112
My God we need the ABS system. This guy behind the plate is miserable.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
If that wasn't strike three on Langford then just let the catcher and hitter agree on every pitch and get rid of the spare standing behind them out of there.
fc2112
Goodness this guy is missing pitches all over.
AggieRob93
AG
Good grief
Flounder Dorfman
AG
This team isn't very competitive.
sburg2007
F me. This blows.
PatriotAg02
AG
Man we really came out swinging after the ASB
AggieRob93
AG
So down 4-0 to start the bottom of the 2nd. Same situation as last night, different methods of getting there. This is not setting a tone for success.
sburg2007
A little bit of life but pitching needs to stop the bleeding.
shack009
AG
Langford not having a hit in his last 26 ABs is an ouchie…
Water Boy
AG
So who we selling?
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Cards interested in eovaldi
Tksymm7
AG
Front offices fault for needing to rely in major ways on two rookies.
Water Boy
AG
I think we were relying on seager, semien, Garcia to lead the team. Currently they have 1 hit in the last 15 innings. We ain't going anywhere when our all star vets can't hit.
Water Boy
AG
Orioles are a very good team and a World Series contender. Just sucks they were essentially on a 6 game losing streak and they blow us out in back to back games at home when we are trying to survive for a playoff spot.
DallasAg 94
Mahle: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1BB, 3 SO, 46 PC

So far:
Dunning: 1.0, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 13 PC
sincereag
Our offense is atrocious in every sense of the word. And I agree with a previous poster that mentioned for some reason the catalyst seems to be a hot Garcia and having Jung in the lineup. Without those two factors, our lineup is just terrible.
Water Boy
AG
If Jung is the make or break of this offense should the front office go ahead and offer Jung a 10 year 200 million dollar deal? I'm sure he'll take it. And 20 million a year for a guy that dictates the offensive production of the whole lineup is a steal.
DallasAg 94
Jung is a Serf next year and then there is 3 years of Arbs.

At age 25, we have him under determined pricing controls for 4 more seasons. Let's start there.
First Page Last Page
Page 289 of 359

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.