*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

537,218 Views | 10183 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by DallasAg 94
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bout impressive of an inning as I've seen from LeClerc
gigem1223
Had no idea Crouse was with the Angels
gigem1223
4 in a row
DallasAg 94
gigem1223 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Quote:

8 Jul: Mahle (elbow) is scheduled to make his second rehab start Tuesday with Triple-A Round Rock, Jeff Wilson of RangersToday.com reports.

Not a surprise Dunning to the BP, but Mahle is set for only 2.0 IP. I don't see him being in the rotation down the season, unless he is only an opener. Go Mahle 3-4 IP and then Urena.

Gray only going 5.0 IP will get him moved sooner than later, IMO.

We didn't sign Mahle for a 1 year contract. Provided no setbacks, there's no reason to believe he won't be cemented in the rotation in about a month.
I agree on the 1yr. But, we're not paying him $6M this year for him to be injured and not pitch at $16M for next year.

I think we'll have 66 G after the ASG. He will have rehabs of 2.0 IP for each of 2G before the ASG. Will they go 2G at 3.0, then 2g at 4.0?! If that is the expectation... I can't see him reaching an expected 5.0+ IP.

Which is fine... If we can get Quality Inning at any level, that's what we need.
DallasAg 94
Suddenly we're only 5.5 GB the Division lead and good things are happening.

Need to keep it rolling.
Aggie Dad 26
DallasAg 94 said:

Suddenly we're only 5.5 GB the Division lead and good things are happening.

Need to keep it rolling.
I said it earlier and hadn't thought about it until today. To get back into the .243-.250 average that Garcia has been at for the previous three seasons means we're about to see a bunch of hits out of him. He may be getting red hot soon.
Water Boy
AG
The goal is to win 3 out of the next 5. Very doable and would give us some nice momentum going into the break.
PatAg
AG
People always forget how streaky a lot of hitters are.
They see a .280 - .320 avg and think that means they will hit that every game. Or 25-30 home runs are evenly distributed throughout a season.
A lot of players will play subpar for a few months and then dominate the rest of the season.
Water Boy
AG
Detroit heating up. They have a 4 game set with Cleveland and just won game 1. Need Cleveland to help us out here.
Grapesoda2525
Water Boy said:

The goal is to win 3 out of the next 5. Very doable and would give us some nice momentum going into the break.
I'd go 4 out of 5. Scherzer is going tomorrow. We need to sweep the angels after taking this first one and Scherzer pitching in this series.

We need to beat Houston in Houston without tucker and hopefully Yordan playing.
Grapesoda2525
I watched the angels broadcast thru mlb.tv

You get to pick which broadcast crew to listen to on there. The angel guys are 10x better than our guys. They actually talk about baseball. They talk about the scores around the league and they were very knowledgeable about our team. They even gave a good update on the rookie of the year race saying Langford will be neck and neck with Gil before long.

I wish we would clean house and bring in all new talent. Everyone on the rangers broadcast is either stale ( been here way too long) or bland. Most of them are both.
Water Boy
AG
That would be great. We've owned Houston at their place recently but they've been red hot for about 6 weeks now. A series win there would be huge.
rbtexan
S
Grant Anderson sent to AAA, 30 yr old Daniel Robert called up. Antoine Kelly DFA'd
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
IIRC, there was much discussion on Kelly getting the call up, but his BB9 is horrible and he seems to have completely lost his command.

He was one that was put on the 40 to protect from the Rule V and at ST, IIRC, he looked pretty good.

I think it shows how fickle Ps can be. "Once a proud champion. Now an example of moppishness." Hope he finds his way.
rbtexan
S
Per Jeff Wilson...

"Kelly was added to the 40-man roster in the offseason to avoid exposing him to the Rule 5 draft. He had a breakthrough 2023 as a hard-throwing left-handed leverage reliever at Double A Frisco, but he didn't have a good spring training and was injured early in the year at Round Rock.

When he has been healthy, he hasn't been particularly good.

It's hard to part with the kind of arm Kelly, similar to how the Rangers made a tough call last year to DFA Ricky Vanasco. That's where the Rangers are now, though, on the 40-man. More tough decisions are ahead as players like Josh Jung, Mahle, Cody Bradford and Jacob deGrom need a 40-man spot to come off the 60-day injured list."
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
So, been looking and thinking about the comments of reducing payroll.

Stumbled on this and not sure if anyone saw it... I don't recall seeing it here.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2023/12/07/sportsology-capital-partners-ares-sports-management-eyes-stake-texas-rangers

So, I guess Janice Simpson got 10% stake in the Rangers as part of their divorce back in '17. We know the lack of investment that whole life event put on the Rangers. She put up her 10% for sale and in Dec '23 they've been locked into exclusive negotiations to complete.
Proposition Joe
I highly doubt the talks of trades is any kind of $$$ negotiating tactic.

The finances of the team aren't as stable as many want to believe despite the owners being very vocal about it for many, many years now.
DallasAg 94
I think many of us had thoughts the owners of the Rangers were likely selling based on lack of investment in the lead up to the opening of GLF. Then Covid happened. Now the World Series.

Both the Padres (11/23) and Orioles (3/24) owners died in the past year

Owners:
Davis (82) - Majority owner (51%?!)
Bob Simpson
Janice Simpson - 10%
Neil Leibman - ?%

Not sure the whole ownership structure.

Ares raised $3.7B to buy stuff.

What was interesting about the O's sell was that there was an initial purchase portion and the final piece would sell after Angelos' death. The way it was structured would help avoid some tax implications.

If Ares finalizes the 10%, they'd be positioned to buy more. The price at which they buy that 10% could have longer term impact if they buy more.

Winning the World Series certainly drove up the valuation of the Rangers. Yeah!

Winning a 2nd World Series would certainly increase the valuation incrementally, I suppose. Yeah!

However, if you sold off expiring contracts for cheap replacements/prospects, your profitability would go through the roof, which would also increase your valuation. And if you're selling the team, you don't care who is on the team, you just care about $$$.

None of the 3 other top owners seems to be buying the 10% even though Leibman is part owner of a sports team LLC.

I don't know that the latest public statements have any relation to the Ownership situation, but found it interesting.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

So, been looking and thinking about the comments of reducing payroll.

Stumbled on this and not sure if anyone saw it... I don't recall seeing it here.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2023/12/07/sportsology-capital-partners-ares-sports-management-eyes-stake-texas-rangers

So, I guess Janice Simpson got 10% stake in the Rangers as part of their divorce back in '17. We know the lack of investment that whole life event put on the Rangers. She put up her 10% for sale and in Dec '23 they've been locked into exclusive negotiations to complete.

Was the Ranger tv deal just a one year band aid for 2024? I don't recall. One of Evan Grant's recent articles mentioned future tv uncertainly, but no real specifics. I actually replied to him via X/Twitter that he should put out an article on that, but alas, he has not granted that request as of yet.

Tksymm7
AG
Bally going bankrupt was and will continue to be a major issue for the team. That's millions of dollars that they likely will never see. They've got to figure out something like what the Stars just did for streaming. The issue for them is that they would probably be more limited regionally, whereas the stars got a really wide area.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I'm not overly concerned with whether we go 5-1 or 6-2 on this road trip. Just be within five games of a playoff spot at the end of the month. I think they'll be there.
DallasAg 94
When I go places (stores) the "Clearance" and "Close Out" signs always get my interest. I kinda navigate to them. Always have, I guess since I used to go with my mom to K-Mart and play with the toys in the store as if they were mine because I didn't have them at home.

The owners made their wealth squeezing finances to get the most out of them. That's how they got wealthy. That's how they will likely always be. It isn't about winning, it is about making money.

Rangers have one of the biggest markets and we were told a multi-use event center would give the Rangers more financial room. Yet, here we are talking about being poor.

You've been out to GLF this year. You can absolutely smell the money being spent. On giveaways, we've gotten there when doors open at 5pm for a 7pm start. 20K plus people in line to get in. 1st thing they do is grab the giveaway, next is a beer and food. The gift shop has a cue to get in and everyone is decorated head to toe in Rangers licensed merchandise.

If we're "poor" it is more about sectioning off parts of revenue to hide them. When I take the family of 4, I have Season Tickets in the OF. Txts are like $35/ea. Parking another $35, beers are $15 (let's pretend 2 beers). Food is $15-20 minimum per person. You're looking at $90/person. x 33K people x 81 games: $240M.

There is no way we're poor.

Hicks put all the parking in a separate LLC and when the team was put into bankruptcy... the parking LLC was not. He retained it, which IMO, was one of the reasons the new owners wanted to build a new stadium. Condemn his parking lots using Imminent Domain and take ownership of them.

I'm sure the parking and food service are all isolated from the team, but the owners still get that.

But, I am a big of a conspirator.
DallasAg 94

Today's scoreboard watching:

Division:
Mariners (Gilbert, 5-5, 2.91) @ Padres (Mazur, 1-2, 7.52)

WC2
Twins (Ober, 8-4, 4.12) @ White Sox (Fedde, 6-3, 3.13)

WC3
A's (Estes, 3-3, 4.39) @ Red Sox (Bello, 8-5, 5.19)

Royals (Wacha, 5-6, 3.74) @ Cards (Pallante, 4-3, 4.00) //Royals 1.5 GB
Marlins (Rogers, 1-9, 4.91) @ Astros (Blanco, 8-3, 2.53) //Astros 3.5 GB
Yankees (Rodon, 9-6, 4.45) @ Rays (Pepiot, 4-5, 4.40) //Rays 5.5 GB
Rangers (Scherzer, 1.2, 2.70) @ Angels (Contreras, 1-1, 4.04, RHP) // Rangers 7 GB

Guardians (Lively, 8-4, 3.14) @ Tigers (Maeda, 2-5, 6.71) //Tigers 7 GB

Hopefully we hold ground today.
Proposition Joe
Your ability to put 10,000 words together and not produce anything of real substance is rivaled only by your ability to put 10,000 numbers together and not produce anything of real substance.

What we do know is there were multiple cash calls in the past, a complete uncertainty about the TV deal (which was the driving factor in the funded our payroll most of last decade), and now multiple sources for two years running making comments about payroll restrictions.

Whether or not the Rangers are profitable isn't the question. Whether or not Ray Davis "could afford" a higher payroll isn't the question.

The owners have literally been shouting from the rooftops that they aren't going to continue to spend until the TV revenue stream is sorted out. Thinking that is instead a power play to save a few bucks in negotiations is foolish -- especially when we literally witnessed one of our most value pitchers walk away last off-season because we weren't willing to pony up (which in hindsight now looks good, but remember the talk was never that we didn't believe Montgomery was worth a multi-year deal).
DallasAg 94
Sometimes I wish I could be more like you.

Not really, but I'm hoping that gives you whatever it is you are seeking. Validation. Affirmation. Importance. Feelings of superiority.

Whatever it is, I hope you are getting it. I'm a giver.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Tbh I was never a huge fan of extending Monty in the first place. Multi-year deals on 30+ year old overweight pitchers doesn't ever seem to be team friendly. Wonder if CY recognized that..
DallasAg 94
bmac_aggie18 said:

Tbh I was never a huge fan of extending Monty in the first place. Multi-year deals on 30+ year old overweight pitchers doesn't ever seem to be team friendly. Wonder if CY recognized that..
It was widely expressed that Monty and Boras were looking for a deal on the scope of Aaron Nola - 7yrs, $24.5M per.

Not sure how far the Rangers got in the discussions, but that was the expectation Boras and team set.

I think the Rangers were probably in the 3-4 year range.
Proposition Joe
bmac_aggie18 said:

I don't fault not signing him to a long-term deal, but most of the reports coming out of that timeframe seemed to imply that Montgomery was getting the indication that we didn't have money to spend on multi-year deals.

Look at who we signed and for how long in free agency. Sure you could make the case there weren't a lot of holes to fill on a WS team... and you can further be happy that we weren't signing two of the major 2023 pieces (Montgomery and Garver).

But every indication has been given for a couple of seasons now that we're not looking to add any more payroll and that the outlays we made in 2023 were a "all-in".

That doesn't necessarily mean you are going full blown Marlins firesale, but if you're not in a position to add then you're going to be open to offers to move some multi-year pieces if you fall out of the 2024 race.

Maybe if we were a 55 win team right now the owners could be convinced to dip into the pocketbooks one more time for that added arm/bat to try and "run it back". But at 5-6 games back? They'll wait and see if the guys getting healthy can get it done.
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

Sometimes I wish I could be more like you.

Not really, but I'm hoping that gives you whatever it is you are seeking. Validation. Affirmation. Importance. Feelings of superiority.

Whatever it is, I hope you are getting it. I'm a giver.

I ignore most of your fluff word-count pieces, but in this case you replied to my post so I replied back.
DallasAg 94
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Ray Davis made his money by founding Energy Transfer Partners. It's why the Rangers wear the patch on the sleeve this year. That's not a coincidence.

Oil and gas guys do not make money by squeezing profit margins. They make it by taking risks. Ray Davis and Kelcy Warren have taken an incredible amount of risks in their careers. Calculated risks, but risks nonetheless.

The Rangers are not poor and they're not pinching pennies. Somehow that narrative has become the gospel on this thread. They have openly stated that the uncertainty surrounding the tv contract is a huge problem. And they are correct. When the partner that has the broadcasting rights declares bankruptcy, you are going to lose millions of dollars. How many millions is still unknown. And then add on top that in July 2024, no one in the organization has any idea who will broadcast the opening day game of 2025.

People can run the math on merchandise and F&B sales all day long but that doesn't move the needle when budget planning in the future if your major source of revenue, the tv contract, is a complete unknown. If you want to use an analogy that fits Ray Davis, merchandise and F&B sales are the same as the price of crude and natural gas. It cycles up and down and you accept that and put in guardrails on that when planning. But if Shell and Exxon declare bankruptcy and those contracts are no longer counted on as revenue, expenditures come to a halt as you sort through the impact of that and what the new contracts will look like.

There's no reason to overanalyze this thing. The Rangers didn't want to give Montgomery a long term contract. Just like the other 29 teams. The bankruptcy of Ballys causes a major uncertainty that has to be sorted out before moving forward. There is a desire to avoid the punitive effects of going over and remaining over the CBT.
rbtexan
S
Nailed it
Jimbo Franchione
Tksymm7
AG
Now that we've got that issue solved….Braylin Morel and Cam Cauley were named to the Minor League Prospect team of the week. Cauley has had an up and down season with Hickory, and has been injured, but hopefully he finishes the year out strong. Morel on the other hand has been one of the best players in the ACL. This is second time on the prospect team of the week. We may have really hit on a handful of guys playing there etc.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I need to introduce myself to a lot of guys at the lower levels not named Sebastian Wolcott.
Water Boy
AG
I hope we follow what the stars just did concerning tv.
First Page Last Page
Page 268 of 291

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.