*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

689,987 Views | 12306 Replies | Last: 18 min ago by Quincey P. Morris
Tksymm7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To further expand on the Rangers minor league system at this moment; we have very little at the AAA and AA levels outside of Emiliano Teodo. Frisco is having a great season, but I honestly don't see many guys (or any) who would or could help the Rangers. With that being said, I think we do have a really solid crop of guys at High A, Low A and ACL etc., as evidenced by Winston Santos, Walcott, Morel, Pablo Guerrero, Anthony Gutierrez and Paulino Santana juts to name a few. A lot of the guys down there I really like. I don't quite know what ceilings they have because almost all of them are under 21, but it's a promising group.
fc2112
Mahle making a rehab start for Frisco tonight.
Aggie Dad 26
Proposition Joe said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

Tbh I was never a huge fan of extending Monty in the first place. Multi-year deals on 30+ year old overweight pitchers doesn't ever seem to be team friendly. Wonder if CY recognized that..

I don't fault not signing him to a long-term deal, but most of the reports coming out of that timeframe seemed to imply that Montgomery was getting the indication that we didn't have money to spend on multi-year deals.

Look at who we signed and for how long in free agency. Sure you could make the case there weren't a lot of holes to fill on a WS team... and you can further be happy that we weren't signing two of the major 2023 pieces (Montgomery and Garver).

But every indication has been given for a couple of seasons now that we're not looking to add any more payroll and that the outlays we made in 2023 were a "all-in".

That doesn't necessarily mean you are going full blown Marlins firesale, but if you're not in a position to add then you're going to be open to offers to move some multi-year pieces if you fall out of the 2024 race.

Maybe if we were a 55 win team right now the owners could be convinced to dip into the pocketbooks one more time for that added arm/bat to try and "run it back". But at 5-6 games back? They'll wait and see if the guys getting healthy can get it done.

Look at it objectively though. This team is an injury or so away from being in 1st place. That's my opinion and maybe I'm way off. I feel like without some of the early injuries this team could make a run.

Opening the checkbook to get over the hump is ideal in my opinion. Get the needed wins while you wait for guys to return. Figure things out after the season. We're perfectly capable of winning another with this roster if it's healthy or patched together properly
rbtexan
S
I'm sorry, I don't follow the "open the checkbook" stuff. That's what you do for free agents and there aren't any right now. Premature to trade for rentals with the current record.
Jimbo Franchione
cmiller00
AG
IIRC the judge did not let Hicks partition off the parking lots.

$111MM is a lot of uncertainty. Hopefully they can do a deal with an accessible channel with a streaming option or something. Diamond probably paid too much but the station has been managed terribly.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Not sure what we would be opening the checkbook up for. Or what hump needs to get over.

The Rangers are not replacing any starters at the deadline and are hoping their All Star third baseman finally gets healthy and inserted in the lineup. A DH would be nice, but they don't seem to put much value on that, much like the majority of teams in MLB.

They don't need pitching. They need pitchers to return and then could trade off a few expiring contracts while still being in a great position to compete. Maybe for a RH DH/1B?
Aggie Dad 26
Flounder Dorfman said:

Not sure what we would be opening the checkbook up for. Or what hump needs to get over.

The Rangers are not replacing any starters at the deadline and are hoping their All Star third baseman finally gets healthy and inserted in the lineup. A DH would be nice, but they don't seem to put much value on that, much like the majority of teams in MLB.

They don't need pitching. They need pitchers to return and then could trade off a few expiring contracts while still being in a great position to compete. Maybe for a RH DH/1B?

How about being a .500 team or back in 1st
rbtexan
S
Aggie Dad 26 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

That would be irresponsible and foolish. IF this team plays itself back into contention, then you might see that kind of move. You don't throw away assets (players) just to get back to 500 - it's highly unlikely that a WC team is coming out of our division, one at most.
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
cmiller00 said:

IIRC the judge did not let Hicks partition off the parking lots.

$111MM is a lot of uncertainty. Hopefully they can do a deal with an accessible channel with a streaming option or something. Diamond probably paid too much but the station has been managed terribly.
According to this:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/rangers-hicks-come-to-terms-on-parking-lots/1944921/

Quote:

the Rangers have reached a multi-year agreement to operate the parking lots at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington owned by former owner Tom Hicks.

The agreement came a day after a judge approved a request from Hicks and the current ownership group, Rangers Baseball Express, that a lawsuit be dropped.

The Rangers sued Hicks for breach of contract over an agreement reached in May 2010. Hicks counter-sued, saying he wanted an outside vendor to operate the lots, which weren't included in the sale of the team.

The Bankruptcy judge had no say.

The lots were already separated and not part of the "team." This was back when the CBA and MLB required teams to spend within a certain amount (a minimum) of revenue. Hicks isolated revenue in order to minimize what was shown. I'm assuming but have no knowledge that the F&B was done similarly.

Is $111M a lot of uncertainty?! Sure.

In 2024, they are reported to receive $100M of the $111M
https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news/how-much-money-texas-rangers-lost-on-bally-bankruptcy-lost-revenue-diamond-sports-group

Quote:

Per USA Today, the Rangers' final agreement was for $100 million in 2024. The Rangers were set to receive $111 million as part of the 20-year, $3 billion deal they signed with Fox Sports Southwest in 2010.

It is a $11M deficit and is certainly something, in 2024. I haven't heard that Bally's has missed a payment or deficient. So, there is no $111M uncertainty for 2024. There is $11M less than they were originally contracted, but that was known before the season.

There is a question in the 2024 payments from BSG to the Rangers. I would assume there would be coverage if a payment was missed.

After 2024, the contract ends. The Rangers are open to negotiate 2025+. Is there uncertainty?! Sure. Will they get $111M? $100M?

If the Rangers are in July 2024 without a media plan for the 2025 season and we are in "uncertain times" regarding media revenue, we're in bigger trouble than $100M uncertainty.

My position is that much of the "being poor" is more theater than anything.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193645/revenue-of-major-league-baseball-teams-in-2010/
Shows the Rangers are set for $425M in 2024. Is $11M a back-breaker?!

And yes, I agree the CBT thing is an issue. IMO, more than the Tax... it is the loss of prospect positioning.
DallasAg 94
I don't think the question is about the Rangers spending more.

The real question that has hit the media is if the Rangers will shed payroll.
- Will they sell players at the deadline who will be FAs after the season in order to reduce payroll (Scherzer, Lorenzen, Heaney, Yates, and Robertson, as cited.
- Will they sell players under contract like Gray and Garcia, in order to reduce 2025 payroll.
- Will they re-allocate financial commitments by taking money assigned to Arbs in 2025 (Lowe, Heim, Taveras) and use it to pay for players in other positions, keeping payroll flat, but losing key players.

It was theater, IMO. To what extent?! We don't know yet. Was it to give under performers a kick in the pants? Or a warning to fans of impending cuts? Was it to let STHs who got their renewals last week, that prices are going up?
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

So what in the world do you mean about "opening the checkbook"? Free agency isn't until the offseason.

If you're Chris Young and can go out and buy any player you want, which you currently cannot do, what position do you "open the checkbook" for? Remember, once Jung is back, every position on the field is a returning starter from the WS champs. Every single one.

Pitching is not a problem, but if it were, you have pitchers coming that will force current starters to the bullpen.

So I guess what you really mean is you want the team to play better. Yeah, all of us want that. And they've won four in a row, so there's that.
Aggie Dad 26
Flounder Dorfman said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

So what in the world do you mean about "opening the checkbook"? Free agency isn't until the offseason.

If you're Chris Young and can go out and buy any player you want, which you currently cannot do, what position do you "open the checkbook" for? Remember, once Jung is back, every position on the field is a returning starter from the WS champs. Every single one.

Pitching is not a problem, but if it were, you have pitchers coming that will force current starters to the bullpen.

So I guess what you really mean is you want the team to play better. Yeah, all of us want that. And they've won four in a row, so there's that.

Making moves to get into the playoffs. We didn't appear to be world beaters last year until we made the playoffs and got hot

This team NEEDS to get into the playoffs one way or another because there are pieces there already. I think we just need a little more to get us over the top (into playoffs)

At the going rate, it's not going to happen
gigem1223
Disagree. This team has what it needs to make the playoffs. Every position is deeper than last years squad (when healthy). The problem has been health and a lot of guys playing well below their career average that are finally back to playing like they're capable.

The only weakness is DH and middle relief. Both of those will be fixed once we get Jung, Carter, Mahle, DeGrom, Dunning back.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

Making moves to get into the playoffs. We didn't appear to be world beaters last year until we made the playoffs and got hot

This team NEEDS to get into the playoffs one way or another because there are pieces there already. I think we just need a little more to get us over the top (into playoffs)

So what move would you make? Like I said, once Jung is back (which is bigger than any move that could be made) it is the exact same starting lineup as the World Series Champs. Minus Garver, but does that really count?

Pitching is better than last year's champs, especially once guys return from the IL.

The team is constructed to win right now. Somehow that has gotten lost in the discussions this season. There have been not only injuries, but more importantly guys coming off of last year's or spring training injuries. Lots of factors have played into an underwhelming first half.

But this "needs to get into the playoffs" is ridiculous. They barely got in last year and won the whole thing. They may or may not get in this year. Lots of competitive teams and the Rangers have had their challenges. If they don't make it, you add pieces around your core for 2025 and give it another run. This isn't an all or nothing scenario for 2024.
Aggie Dad 26
Flounder Dorfman said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

So what move would you make? Like I said, once Jung is back (which is bigger than any move that could be made) it is the exact same starting lineup as the World Series Champs. Minus Garver, but does that really count?

Pitching is better than last year's champs, especially once guys return from the IL.

The team is constructed to win right now. Somehow that has gotten lost in the discussions this season. There have been not only injuries, but more importantly guys coming off of last year's or spring training injuries. Lots of factors have played into an underwhelming first half.

But this "needs to get into the playoffs" is ridiculous. They barely got in last year and won the whole thing. They may or may not get in this year. Lots of competitive teams and the Rangers have had their challenges. If they don't make it, you add pieces around your core for 2025 and give it another run. This isn't an all or nothing scenario for 2024.

Who does Texas go after? Great question, that I don't know.

If we knew without a doubt Jung would be back July 19th and would be 100%, I too would be fine with sitting tight. But that's not the case

It's ridiculous to make an attempt of making the playoffs outside of the current lineup? You say that and reflect on winning it all last year. Lol

If that's your mentality, I can't help you. I'm more interested in winning now.
gigem1223
Keep the train movin baws!
Water Boy
AG
Garcia sucks!
gigem1223
More Hill, less Garcia.
Mr Gigem
AG
So tired of Adolis right now. Houston is licking their chops
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

If we knew without a doubt Jung would be back July 19th and would be 100%, I too would be fine with sitting tight. But that's not the case

It's ridiculous to make an attempt of making the playoffs outside of the current lineup? You say that and reflect on winning it all last year. Lol

The Texas Rangers are not going to replace a starter from last year's World Series winning team. If you don't understand that, I can't help you either. But of course, you are suggesting "opening the checkbook" in July, which is a term that does not apply to Major League Baseball.

Like you said, you don't know. You just want to win now. Which is what all of us, the players, coaches and front office want as well.
sburg2007
Garcia got on a heater to end last season but overall his bat ain't that great. I'm over it.
Mr Gigem
AG
I'd be willing to trade Adolis to any willing buyer
Aggie Dad 26
Flounder Dorfman said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

The Texas Rangers are not going to replace a starter from last year's World Series winning team. If you don't understand that, I can't help you either. But of course, you are suggesting "opening the checkbook" in July, which is a term that does not apply to Major League Baseball.

Like you said, you don't know. You just want to win now. Which is what all of us, the players, coaches and front office want as well.

I never suggested replacing Yung
DallasAg 94
I think you are both saying the same thing.

We need the core of the team to perform and the IL guys to get healthy.

If both those things happen, we'll make the playoffs.

We have what we need to win now.

I think we're in the middle of that happening.

I think the team CAN be improved. I don't think the team MUST be improved via trade... but there are places.
DallasAg 94
Adolis is playing possum.

He's going to go into Houston and the breeze he causes with his swing launching the ball will trigger tornado sirens.
sburg2007
So much for the shut down inning.
gigem1223
Mr Gigem said:

I'm just as frustrated with Garcia as anyone but selling him at his lowest possible value would not be good business.
Aggie Dad 26
DallasAg 94 said:

I think you are both saying the same thing.

We need the core of the team to perform and the IL guys to get healthy.

If both those things happen, we'll make the playoffs.

We have what we need to win now.

I think we're in the middle of that happening.

I think the team CAN be improved. I don't think the team MUST be improved via trade... but there are places.

We are.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
There is something seriously wrong with Adam Knizner wearing the #12.
Mr Gigem
AG
Lowest possible value?? He's coming off an ALCS MVP and gold glove winning season. He'd also 1.5 years of team control, and is very affordable for any team.
Aggie Dad 26
gigem1223 said:

Mr Gigem said:

I'm just as frustrated with Garcia as anyone but selling him at his lowest possible value would not be good business.

What's the offensive boom look like to go from .214 to .240-.250 in the 2nd half of the season?
Mr Gigem
AG
Another catcher eating our lunch
sburg2007
It's an absolutely incredible at this point.
gigem1223
Welp safe to say Max doesn't have his best stuff tonight
gigem1223
Mr Gigem said:

Lowest possible value?? He's coming off an ALCS MVP and gold glove winning season. He'd also 1.5 years of team control, and is very affordable for any team.

Yes lowest possible trade value. He's been terrible minus the first month of the season. Completely lost at the plate for a good 2 months now and his fielding has not been as good as in the past.

Like you said, he's affordable. Best thing to do is keep him and hope he comes out of this funk.
First Page Last Page
Page 269 of 352

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.