*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

726,445 Views | 12539 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by DallasAg 94
Tksymm7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stupid ass trade.
Grapesoda2525
Ag Since 83 said:

Rangers 3-19 with RISP in the series.

No runs scored on the three hits. I know they keep stats on how teams are going 1st to 3rd, they can't rank very high on going 2nd to home.
Seems like all the hits we see are harmless singles. Mixed in with an occasional solo home run.
WestTexasAg
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Stupid ass trade.
Which one?
bmac_aggie18
AG
The last time we scored 5+ runs in a game was May 8 against Oakland
DallasAg 94
He never liked the Grossman trade.
Tksymm7
AG
You are correct, but it looks and feels even worse now.
Ag Since 83
AG
Some good news: Seager's OPS+ is now over 100 at 104 this morning according to Baseball Reference. I think I saw it at 74 a few weeks ago.

He's been hitting a lot better and with more power of course, but also his OBP has been going up because he's starting to get intentionally walked because the opponents don't fear Lowe behind him.
Tksymm7
AG
Lowe ideally would slot into the 6 hole or thereabout, but we don't have enough guys to fill a lineup at the moment, and tbh no one that really scares you at all.
DallasAg 94

Jimtim1216
S
Glass half full take is this. When Jung is back it will bring the balance and continuity that is needed. We are literally a couple of weeks away. Bullpen will be much better as the starters that are shelved begin to get back in and pieces are moved around and to create the depth and quality.
Tksymm7
AG
I do think Jung getting back with help quite a bit, and on top of that Langford to some extent, but even adding those guys back it still feels like this lineup has some holes.

1) Semien
2) Seager
3) Jung
4) Garcia
5) Carter/Langford (this is the spot that I have no idea what to do with)
6) Lowe
7) Carter/Langford
8) Heim
9) Taveras

5-9 doesn't exactly get me going at the moment, and yes I recognize that is largely the same team that won the WS last year, but based on current results I am not feeling great.
DallasAg 94
It was posted here that Jung is 6 weeks away. Article in the DMN that I didn't read, but sounded like it may not have completely been fixed. So, Jung still 5-6 weeks away.

But, I agree with your point.

And now with Adolis banged up...

We're still .500 and getting closer.

Dunning should be back this week. Eovaldi is close. That will give us a rotation of:
Gray, Lorenzen, Dunning, Eovaldi, and Heaney.

Urena likely gets moved to the BP... Personally, I would move Heaney to the BP for a few weeks and let Urena continue to chew innings. Urena is getting you right at 6.0 IP/GS and Heaney doesn't even get you 5.0 IP.

Bradford doesn't appear to be close and neither does Scherzer.
Mahle and deGrom are both August guys.
Tksymm7
AG
If Jung is out till damn near the All-Star break this season could be on a freight train toward washed/lost season.

ETA: I would be trading anyone on a short deal that carries any value whatsoever.
Jimtim1216
S
DallasAg 94 said:

It was posted here that Jung is 6 weeks away. Article in the DMN that I didn't read, but sounded like it may not have completely been fixed. So, Jung still 5-6 weeks away.

But, I agree with your point.

And now with Adolis banged up...

We're still .500 and getting closer.

Dunning should be back this week. Eovaldi is close. That will give us a rotation of:
Gray, Lorenzen, Dunning, Eovaldi, and Heaney.

Urena likely gets moved to the BP... Personally, I would move Heaney to the BP for a few weeks and let Urena continue to chew innings. Urena is getting you right at 6.0 IP/GS and Heaney doesn't even get you 5.0 IP.

Bradford doesn't appear to be close and neither does Scherzer.
Mahle and deGrom are both August guys.

I know Jung was cleared to resume all baseball activities, so my thinking was just a couple weeks away, but could be mistaken on the timeline after baseball activities are resumed.
DallasAg 94
Tksymm7 said:

I do think Jung getting back with help quite a bit, and on top of that Langford to some extent, but even adding those guys back it still feels like this lineup has some holes.

1) Semien
2) Seager
3) Jung
4) Garcia
5) Carter/Langford (this is the spot that I have no idea what to do with)
6) Lowe
7) Carter/Langford
8) Heim
9) Taveras

5-9 doesn't exactly get me going at the moment, and yes I recognize that is largely the same team that won the WS last year, but based on current results I am not feeling great.

I've said this... Carter and Langford are making their way through the league for the 1st time. They really don't have much (if any) experience against almost all of the SPs in the league, let alone RPs. They'll take some more time.

I am starting to agree more with your idea that we'll really need another bat... whether corner OF or DH.

I think if we don't start to see someone coming around, that will happen after the ASG.

I haven't looked at FAs after this season, but I think we'll find a rental. We normally like someone with another year, but that usually costs a little more. I think Grossman was an attempt to fill a gap until players got healthy.

We'll see how patient the team is.
DallasAg 94

Here is what I saw:
https://sportsethos.com/news-blurbs/?blurbid=153811
Quote:

Josh Jung (fractured right wrist) is expected to be out longer than expected and will be re-evaluated in 10-14 days.

The original timeline had him out around six-to-eight weeks but we are now in the seventh week and he has yet to swing a bat in his recovery. Reporting by Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News tells us that he may miss 12-to-13 weeks. However, that may change depending on the re-evaluation happening in the next week or two. In the meantime, Josh Smith should continue to see the bulk of the playing time at third base. Smith has proven to be fantasy viable with a slashline of .277/.369/.423 with a wRC+ of 129.
Source: Evan Grant on Twitter

But, then you see this:

I thought it was his left wrist, so, I'm not sure why throwing has been such an issue.

Regardless, I think the Rangers under CY/Bochy have been the worst when it comes to getting accurate return dates.
DallasAg 94
We did that. Grossman.
Tksymm7
AG
And hey, if they are comfortable with chalking this season up and just letting Langford and Carter get a ton of at-bats and reps, then so be it. They'll be better for it next year and so on, but then lets makes some moves so we can reload going into next season.

YOU'RE GOING TO KILL ME WITH GROSSMAN HA!
DallasAg 94
It is all in good fun.

Having said that... the Rangers hitters that become a FA after this season are Grossman and Janko. After 2025, we lose Knizner.

As far as I can tell, everyone else is back through 2025. Actually, through 2026.

So, we probably have some leverage in the lineup having Semien-Seager-Jung-Adolis-Lowe-Heim for the next 2.5 seasons.

Taveras (25), Langford (22), and Carter (21) have yet to reach their prime years.

DH remains a hole. I think Lowe and Taveras are the only real position places we can improve.

I'd like to see Langford remain at AAA and preserve his Rookie status.
Water Boy
AG
What can we get for Wendzel?
Tksymm7
AG
"Peanuts here! Get ya peanuts and ice cold beer!"
GrapevineAg
AG
"I want you to stock my soda machine for three years."
DallasAg 94
Let's throw a name out there... Nolan Arrenado?!
Tksymm7
AG
At least he plays every day...
Proposition Joe
Calendar hasn't even turned to June, a game and a half back in the division, and we're already talking trading for next year?
Tksymm7
AG
Have you seen the state of this team and the current trends we are on? I know you have. This season isn't over yet, but it definitely feels like we have a one way ticket to a rough one.
Proposition Joe
Tksymm7 said:

Have you seen the state of this team and the current trends we are on? I know you have.

It looks like a slightly below 0.500 team waiting on it's all-star 3rd baseman to return, it's MVP shortstop to get out of his slump/injury, and half it's pitching staff to return.

In the two-wildcard era, if you're a 0.500 club in August you are still very much in the hunt.

Last year Seattle was 0.500 on July 24th. They had a chance to win the division going into the last weekend.

The only way you'd consider punting early looking towards next year is if you have fallen so far behind you are unlikely to catch-up (10+ games below 0.500 heading into August) and/or you don't have roster pieces returning that you think are capable of making a playoff run.

The latter we already know isn't the case (reference 2023 World Champions), so it really boils down to the former -- are we going to fall completely out of the race in the Summer.

I won't tell you that's not going to happen, but I will tell you that sitting at 0.500 it's not near the time to panic about it.
Tksymm7
AG
I think you bring up completely valid points, but when you consider that we would be fourth at best in the AL East and AL Central right now, it doesn't leave me feeling great. We are going to have to win our division this year, and as currently constructed I think the Mariners are a better team than us and the Astros are back.
DallasAg 94
We are the best team in the AL West, if healthy... If we were playing in the AL East... our game approach would be different. We're playing the long-game... for the ALW.
DallasAg 94

Just to be clear... I'm the last to panic.

My comment on Arrenado is about 2024+.

He is owed:
'24 (33): $35M ($5M paid by Col)
'25 (34): $32M ($5M paid by Col)
'26 (35): $27M ($5M paid by Col)
'27 (36): $15M

Batting .276, 3HR.
'23: .266, 26HR
Career: .300 v LHP

Three conversations:
Playing... he's your DH and 3B if/when necessary. Fills that vLHP issue.

Cost... StL is on the hook for $30M, $27M, $22M as his age and declining performance comes along.

Trade cost... What you give up determines how much you pay and when. Duran? Leiter? Rocker? What would it take? Is it worth it?

Now, you have in '24:
2B Semien-L
SS Seager-R
1B Lowe-L
RF Garcia-R
DH Arrenado-R
LF Carter-L <- Langford-R platoon
3B Jung-R
_C Heim-S
CF Taveras-S

In '25 you move Carter to CF, Langford to LF and sell Taveras.
Jimtim1216
S
DallasAg 94 said:

Just to be clear... I'm the last to panic.

My comment on Arrenado is about 2024+.

He is owed:
'24 (33): $35M ($5M paid by Col)
'25 (34): $32M ($5M paid by Col)
'26 (35): $27M ($5M paid by Col)
'27 (36): $15M

Batting .276, 3HR.
'23: .266, 26HR
Career: .300 v LHP

Three conversations:
Playing... he's your DH and 3B if/when necessary. Fills that vLHP issue.

Cost... StL is on the hook for $30M, $27M, $22M as his age and declining performance comes along.

Trade cost... What you give up determines how much you pay and when. Duran? Leiter? Rocker? What would it take? Is it worth it?

Now, you have in '24:
2B Semien-L
SS Seager-R
1B Lowe-L
RF Garcia-R
DH Arrenado-R
LF Carter-L <- Langford-R platoon
3B Jung-R
_C Heim-S
CF Taveras-S

In '25 you move Carter to CF, Langford to LF and sell Taveras.

I do like the thought of this. I'd hesitate with Rocker. With his velocity he will be a stud at the backend of the BP. Thinking next season for that.
Jimtim1216
S
I'd be willing to give up Leiter.
DallasAg 94
A team like St.L would turn him into a perennial CyYoung winner.
Tksymm7
AG
I think you need to hold onto Rocker for at least another year. See what he's got after his TJ and make a decision on him next year as to what his future is with this organization. Leiter can go in a package for anyone at this point, I don't mind.
South Platte
Best case scenario is for us to tread water until August-September then try to win a bunch of games at the end. Another option would be to tank this season, get a top 5 pick and make a run at it it next year with a healthy roster. Bochy's teams have historically been weak the year after winning the World Series.

I don't know why we don't keep starting Leiter and give him a chance to figure things out. There is no pressure to win games right now. We are so far from legitimately competing for another title. We don't even know if any of our pitchers will be back this season, even Eovaldi and Bradford.

Play Langford every day when he gets back, same with Carter.
First Page Last Page
Page 199 of 359

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.