*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

726,085 Views | 12536 Replies | Last: 38 min ago by _lefraud_
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't guarantee a top five pick by tanking anymore right?
DallasAg 94
Sounds like full panic on a .500 team in May.

Dunning should be back this week.
Proposition Joe
Tksymm7 said:

I think you bring up completely valid points, but when you consider that we would be fourth at best in the AL East and AL Central right now, it doesn't leave me feeling great. We are going to have to win our division this year, and as currently constructed I think the Mariners are a better team than us and the Astros are back.

You've been hanging out with grapesoda too much.

To proclaim on May 20th not only that we are in major trouble, but also that 3 of Baltimore, Kansas City, Minnesota and Tampa Bay will be 90 win teams just way, way too bearish for Texas.

If we're a competitive team, at the very least WC3 will be there for the taking.

The third wildcard has changed baseball. Fates are rarely sealed by July.
Tksymm7
AG
I don't think Leiter is ready to be honest. I thought he might be turning a corner, and he might be, but he still hasn't pitched a ton since his stint on the development list.
South Platte
DallasAg 94 said:

Sounds like full panic on a .500 team in May.

Dunning should be back this week.
No panic. A division title is easily within reach. Trading anyone young right now, or anytime during this season, is ludicrous. Don't give up on anyone.

Leiter, Langford, and Carter are the future. Let them cook.

South Platte
Tksymm7 said:

I don't think Leiter is ready to be honest. I thought he might be turning a corner, and he might be, but he still hasn't pitched a ton since his stint on the development list.
Oh it's been ugly for sure. He's not going to cost us a playoff spot by throwing him out there any 5th day. Let him hang around our hall of fame cast of injured starters and pick their brain. With those guys + Maddux we have the best collection of pitching coaches in the league.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Seager, Semien, Eovaldi, etc only have so much prime left. You do not throw away a season of that prime when you are 1.5 out of first and have a ton of guys that will return. That is absolute crazy talk
Tksymm7
AG
I just think there are flaws with this team that aren't simply going to be fixed with getting healthy. Yes, getting some pitching back will no doubt help, although we aren't going to see Scherzer until mid-July, Mahle until the end of July or early August, and deGrom until later than that. And even though I think Jung helps as well, is he really going to be worth as many wins as we are essentially putting on him? I won't touch on Langford and Carter again, they are rookies. We're 3-7 over out last 10 games and there's no time to come up for air.
Proposition Joe
Tksymm7 said:

I just think there are flaws with this team that aren't simply going to be fixed with getting healthy. Yes, getting some pitching back will no doubt help, although we aren't going to see Scherzer until mid-July, Mahle until the end of July or early August, and deGrom until later than that. And even though I think Jung helps as well, is he really going to be worth as many wins as we are essentially putting on him? I won't touch on Langford and Carter again, they are rookies.
What flaws exist compared to last year?
DannyDuberstein
AG
There are always going to be flaws. The backbone of your team is aged 30 and 33. You don't just blow off a season when you are right in the thick of a race
Tksymm7
AG
We don't have a DH, we don't hit well with RISP, we don't hit the ball all that hard, we have two rookies in the lineup, one of whom has been one of the worst hitters on this team so far this year and with a major flaw in his bat, and a number of guys reverting back to their career norms (or worse).

And no I don't think you blow this thing up. You have way to many guys in the prime (or twilight) of their careers. That's crazy. I am just suggesting that if we have guys out until mid-July and we are a below .500 team, then why wouldn't you trade Lorenzen, or Urena/Yates/Robertson etc.? Guys on one year deals performing well. Reload some and get ready for next year with experienced young players and maybe an additional piece from a trade or free agency.
Proposition Joe
Tksymm7 said:

We don't have a DH, we don't hit well with RISP, we don't hit the ball all that hard, we have two rookies in the lineup, one of whom has been one of the worst hitters on this team so far this year and with a major flaw in his bat, and a number of guys reverting back to their career norms (or worse).

Josh Smith has a 800 OPS. But he's playing 3rd instead of DH because... Jung is hurt.

Not hitting well with RISP and not hitting the ball hard. Are we playing different players than last year? If so, then injury is the issue. If not, then do you think they suddenly "lost it" between last year and this year?

Two rookies in the lineup... One is a major reason we won the World Series last year. Yet you are also saying we need to trade some valuable assets to go after a... experienced young player?

This isn't a world-beater team... Neither was last year. Even when it gets healthy, it's going to have some holes. But you address those holes at the deadline and see if the pieces/prospects are there to make a run (ala Scherzer, Carter and Montgomery in 2023).
Water Boy
AG
I think it's fair to have some concerns with this team when it comes to the 24 season. Yes we had a lot of holes last year and had some ugly stretches but the big difference is that we started off so hot last season that we had room to struggle. Forward to this season and we've been mid at best. We are basically banking on getting and staying hot in the second half of the season which can certainly happen. My concern is that a bulk of our injuries come from the pitching side but the pitching for the most part has been good enough to win. Even if we were fully healthy on the pitching front we still lose a lot of the games. It's hard to win only scoring 1-3 runs a night. Being healthy will help but unless the current lineup can start to put up more runs and score early on in games it will be a rough season. Allowing the opposing pitcher to go 3 innings 0ER and only a 35 pitch count nightly is concerning. We need this offense to come alive if we expect to even tread water until more pitching comes.
WestTexasAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Seager, Semien, Eovaldi, etc only have so much prime left. You do not throw away a season of that prime when you are 1.5 out of first and have a ton of guys that will return. That is absolute crazy talk
Wait.....some here are talking about giving up on the season? Now?? 1.5 games back in late May with tons of injuries and some are actually giving up? That's incredibly LAME!

Let's get our 3 injured starting pitchers back - and that's not even counting Scherzer or DeGrom - and see how that plays out.

Let's get Josh Jung back. Let's get Langford back. Then let's look at adding a bat at the trade deadline if needed.

I'm still high on this season!

DallasAg 94
We are 1W behind Tampa and Minn... so, not even 1.5 GB.

Tampa just placed their OD SP on the IL
https://www.kentuckytoday.com/sports/national/rays-opening-day-starter-zach-eflin-placed-on-il-with-lower-back-inflammation/article_f17831b5-fe84-5b43-9c1e-43691c0695f0.html

Lower back.

Pepiot... the guy they got from LAD for Glasnow was put on the IL.
Their SP:

Eflin: 10GS, 4.12
Civale: 10GS, 5.92
Littell: 9GS, 3.44
Pepiot: 7GS, 3.68
Taj Bradley: 2GS, 2.45

Alexander: 6GS, 9G, 5.17
Armstrong: 3GS, 17G, 4.22

Minnesota has L6.

We've got this.
Danny Vermin
On a side note, when we play the Astros again, we need to go after their best hitters hands as much as possible. They did this on purpose ( jung) and we need to retaliate. You will never convince me otherwise.
Jimtim1216
S
IMO, with some better health and overall and then with Jung back this team will be fine.

The biggest concern I have is the sloppy defense so far, but I do think that will correct itself with the addition of Jung, even though 3rd base defense has been good overall.

Something about Jung really drives this team. When he came back late last season there was a dramatic shift in the play of the team.
Jimtim1216
S
Danny Vermin said:

On a side note, when we play the Astros again, we need to go after their best hitters hands as much as possible. They did this on purpose ( jung) and we need to retaliate. You will never convince me otherwise.

It was a pitcher for Tampa Bay the pitched for Houston last season.
Danny Vermin
Oh yeah. ****ing Maton. Bitter *****. I'm sure he got some thank you texts from the cheaters though.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Anyone taking bets on if we get no hit against Philly?
Jimtim1216
S
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Anyone taking bets on if we get no hit against Philly?
No. Not at all. Would not take that bet...........
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I still get a kick out of reading how many flaws the lineup has even when healthy, when that exact lineup minus Garver and plus Langford is the one that just won a World Series.

They need to get healthy and see what happens. There is an extremely good chance that they don't win back to back World Series since it was last done in the 90's (right?). BFD. They are set up for long term success and I'm enjoying it.

And for the record, they are playing absolutely awful baseball right now. Hard to watch. But I like this team's chances a lot.
Grapesoda2525
There is definitely a degree of luck involved with this game. A lot depends on when you play a team. If you run into a team while they're hot, watch out.

For example….. let's look at a really stinky team. Colorado is 15-31, but on may 9th they beat the giants 9-1. Why is this significant? It started a 7 game winning streak where they posted 2 separate 3 game sweeps back to back. The Rockies were playing like a first place team for a week and everyone in their path suffered for it.

In Colorado, it seemed like they had 9 gold glove fielders all over the diamond and they fit a months worth of web gems into our series.

The off day and going on the road should provide us another opportunity to "re-rack" as they say in pool and change our momentum. Tough customers with the Phillies, but at least we won't play them in the 2nd half of the season when we are hoping to get healthy and go on a run. Hopefully we can get 1 and maybe get some help from other teams. Minnesota is beatable if we play decent baseball.

Would be so nice if we ran into a team that was on a cold spell or really struggling, we haven't had that amount of luck with the schedule just yet.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Would be so nice if we ran into a team that was on a cold spell or really struggling, we haven't had that amount of luck with the schedule just yet.
And here come the Phillies with the best record in MLB. 8-2 over the last 10
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Grapesoda2525
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

And here come the Phillies with the best record in MLB. 8-2 over the last 10
I know. My only rationale is at least we aren't playing them in the second half when we will be hoping to go on a run. Hopefully wash and the angels can play well down in Houston and buy us another day or 2.
Grapesoda2525
Positive news

https://www.lonestarball.com/2024/5/20/24160890/davis-wendzel-optioned-texas-rangers-round-rock

Quote:

The Texas Rangers have optioned infielder Davis Wendzel to AAA Round Rock, the team announced today. The team said that a corresponding move will be made before tomorrow's game in Philadelphia against the Phillies.
Wendzel was added to the active roster early in the season due to injuries to Josh Jung and Justin Foscue. The hope was that he would be able to provide a righthanded bat who could play any of the infield positions against lefties, as needed, as well as provide value off the bench.
Unfortunately, Wendzel has not hit well since coming up. He started on an 0 for 11 stretch, got a hit in his only plate appearance against Seattle on April 25, homered in his only plate appearance against Cincinnati on April 27, and since has been hitless in 16 at bats. He returns to Round Rock with a .069/.069/.172 slash line in 29 plate appearances, with no walks and four Ks.
Wendzel going back down. He really stunk up the joint.

I still think the Foscue injury hurt us more than most people realize.
rbtexan
S

Quote:

So a 25 yr old guy who is a career .275 in the minors, and who BTW was hitting a robust .231 at AAA this season is somehow supposed to make a big difference when even Carter and Langford have struggled against MLB pitching?

SMH. Foscue isn't the answer, not even close. He's at BEST what we're seeing from Carter this season offensively, and a complete liability defensively.

I honestly don't understand the infatuation with Foscue. He was picked way too high and we seem committed to trying to will him into being something he isn't.
Jimbo Franchione
Grapesoda2525
rbtexan said:

Quote:

So a 25 yr old guy who is a career .275 in the minors, and who BTW was hitting a robust .231 at AAA this season is somehow supposed to make a big difference when even Carter and Langford have struggled against MLB pitching?

SMH. Foscue isn't the answer, not even close. He's at BEST what we're seeing from Carter this season offensively, and a complete liability defensively.

I honestly don't understand the infatuation with Foscue. He was picked way too high and we seem committed to trying to will him into being something he isn't.
Not saying he's great, but he's probably 10x better than wendzel and would have at least worked some walks.
Proposition Joe
Grapesoda2525 said:

There is definitely a degree of luck involved with this game. A lot depends on when you play a team. If you run into a team while they're hot, watch out.

For example….. let's look at a really stinky team. Colorado is 15-31, but on may 9th they beat the giants 9-1. Why is this significant? It started a 7 game winning streak where they posted 2 separate 3 game sweeps back to back. The Rockies were playing like a first place team for a week and everyone in their path suffered for it.

It would be nice if future you would post this insight to past you.

Past you was ready to cliff-dive because we were going to have to hang the "only team to get swept by the Rockies this season" banner.

Only took 3 more days for those banner plans to be cancelled.
DallasAg 94
Perspective is always good...FWIW:

ALWest:
Seattle: 26-22
Texas: 24-24; 2GB
Houston: 21-27;5GB

WC
Baltimore (WC1)
Kansas City (WC2)
Minnesota -
Tampa Bay -
Texas: 0.5 GB
Boston: 0.5 GB

IL:
Seattle
: Santos (24-RP) '23, 60G, 3.39. '24 NA
: Kowar (27-RP) '23, 23G, 6.43. '24 NA
: Brash (26-RP) '23, 78G, 3.63. '24 NA
: Saucedo (31-RP) '23 52G, 3.59. '24 14G, 2.70

Seattle has 4 Ps on the IL and they are all RPs... with only 1 having pitched in 2024. 4 SPs combined for 39 GS, 3.38 ERA, 792 ER in 234 IP... Right at 6.00 IP/GS.

They have a 5th SP w/7GS, 5.24 (sent to minors) and a 6 SP with 2GS and a 0.93 ERA called up to replace him.

6 Total SPs for Seattle.

NOW... what if I told you...
The Mariners were 6th in AL ERA for a SP: 3.53
The Rangers are 7th in AL ERA for a SP: 3.57

The Mariners are who they are. They haven't under performed due to injury and they don't have anyone coming back to help them. Pitching or otherwise.
CowtownAg06
AG
Need a win tonight... Bruce Bochy has never been under .500 with the Rangers.
DallasAg 94
Here we go @ Philly:
5/21 Gray (9GS, 2.08) v Suarez (9GS, 1.37) <LHP> 5:40 Start
5/22 Heaney (9GS, 4.43) v Walker (4GS, 4.91) 5:40 Start
5/23 Urena (3GS, 13G, 3.29) Wheeler (10GS, 2.52) 12:05 Start

Looks like some good match ups.
Aggie1205
AG
Braves fan stopping in to say that I hope the Rangers sweep!
Water Boy
AG
For what it's worth, the Rangers have a 12 game winning streak vs the Phillies.
Tksymm7
AG
Nice article (as per the usual from EG) by Evan Grant of the DMNs; "A year ago, Texas Rangers boasted best lineup in the AL. What's wrong in 2024?"

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2024/05/20/a-year-ago-texas-rangers-boasted-best-lineup-in-the-al-whats-wrong-in-2024/

He recognizes a lot of what has been said on this board already:

"Rookies gonna rookie: Is it truly surprising that a team counting on two rookies in its regular lineup has struggled offensively? Yes, Evan Carter had a great month last year and has a great approach. Yes, Langford has a lightning quick bat and also a great ball-strike approach.

But Carter didn't face a ton of lefties in the minors and the difference between Triple-A and the majors is perhaps greater than it has ever been. He's struggled to adjust. An example: Carter has seen 16 pitches at 94 mph or higher from lefties. He's put one in play, dribbling back softly to Tarik Skubal. Hard throwing lefties have overmatched him thus far.

For all the talk of Langford's maturity, it appears he still has typical human frailties. When the power didn't immediately show up in the regular season, his swing seemed to tilt more and more toward a pronounced upper cut. It's not as easy as simply identifying an issue and fixing it overnight. His IL stint has also been an opportunity to reset the swing."

He also goes on to truly put into context just how poor Corey Seager was in April and how that has now flip flopped with Adolis being the one having a putrid month. He ends with pointing out that Jonah Heim had a career year last year, and that his current OPS of .696 is pretty much in line with what his career average is, or what he has done for the largest portion of his career.

"Whatever the case, the Rangers reached the point Monday where they needed to do something.

Anything."
First Page Last Page
Page 200 of 359

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.