*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

717,236 Views | 12494 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by South Platte
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rbtexan said:

Wendzel is a lost cause IMO. Dude is 27 now, will be 28 next May. 5th pro season already. If he hasn't figured out by now, I don't think one more year will matter much.
That's a good point. I was wondering why they were giving him so many chances. He really looked overmatched.
I'm glad that they have finally moved on tho. Nothing against the guy, but I really hate watching him play ball.

KT 90
AG
rbtexan said:

Wendzel is a lost cause IMO. Dude is 27 now, will be 28 next May. 5th pro season already. If he hasn't figured out by now, I don't think one more year will matter much.

Somebody can look it up, but I think this his last season we can protect him without him being on the 40 man roster. So pretty good odds he leaves via minor league free agency after this season.
DallasAg 94
I think that may have been after the 2022 season. He was drafted out of Baylor in 2019.

He is on the 40... and has been. He will likely need to be packaged on a trade at the deadline if we want to capture anything for him.

We have 47 on the 40, which includes 7 on the 60.

When Jung and Mahle return, we'll burn 2 guys off.
From a position player perspective: Wendzel, Duran, Huff, Foscue, and Harris are in the minors (or not on the 26).
If we dump a guy from the 26 - Grossman or Hill are the most likely.

From a P perspective, we have plenty to go. White, Burke, Kelly, Garabito can all be look at.

Any work Wendzel gets is only to ensure we're ready to dump him when the time comes.
sburg2007

I'm starting to think ownership got their title and if it's not an easy win this year, will start to tear down.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I don't think they have any interest in tearing it down.

Trading expiring contracts if not in the hunt is a no brainer. There are a lot of players under team control that many on here would be fine trading if we can upgrade the position.

Seager, Semien, Jung, Carter, Langford are not going anywhere. Very doubtful Heim would. That's six out of nine that are pretty much locked in. It really comes down to whether you think Taveras, Lowe and Garcia are in the long term plans.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

I think that may have been after the 2022 season. He was drafted out of Baylor in 2019.

He is on the 40... and has been. He will likely need to be packaged on a trade at the deadline if we want to capture anything for him.

We have 47 on the 40, which includes 7 on the 60.

When Jung and Mahle return, we'll burn 2 guys off.
From a position player perspective: Wendzel, Duran, Huff, Foscue, and Harris are in the minors (or not on the 26).
If we dump a guy from the 26 - Grossman or Hill are the most likely.

From a P perspective, we have plenty to go. White, Burke, Kelly, Garabito can all be look at.

Any work Wendzel gets is only to ensure we're ready to dump him when the time comes.

I see, my bad on that. Off the top of my head I was thinking this was the year Wendzel had to earn a spot on the 40, but he is already there. I am obviously not keeping up with the minor leaguers as much lately.

I just googled it, here is the full 40, err 47, for anyone interested. Default sorting lists the active roster first, then IL, then Minor leaguers:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TEX/2024-roster.shtml

KT 90
AG
sburg2007 said:

I'm starting to think ownership got their title and if it's not an easy win this year, will start to tear down.

I saw that, it's a little long, but an interesting read. FYI to all: it is free, so anyone can read it. I think it is good info to consume, then decide where you stand as far as the potential roster moves.
KT 90
AG
Flounder Dorfman said:

I don't think they have any interest in tearing it down.

Trading expiring contracts if not in the hunt is a no brainer. There are a lot of players under team control that many on here would be fine trading if we can upgrade the position.

Seager, Semien, Jung, Carter, Langford are not going anywhere. Very doubtful Heim would. That's six out of nine that are pretty much locked in. It really comes down to whether you think Taveras, Lowe and Garcia are in the long term plans.

I agree with your comments. Even if CY/ownership throws in the towel at some point on 2024, 2025 is still there for the taking as far as having pieces in place. Trading some expiring contracts doesn't change that. Nor does making a decision on one (or more) of: Taveras/Lowe/Garcia. They still are under team control, and that in and of itself has some value that you could use in a trade.
DallasAg 94

So, clearly this is a story being promoted. As mentioned, why?

Options
- Lower cost in 2024 to get under the CBT. Being a repeat offender, there is reason to get under it, including loss of draft comps.
- Lower cost in 2024 because we're poor. TV uncertainty.
- Lower cost in 2025 to get under the CBT.
- Lower cost in 2025 because we're poor. TV uncertainty.
- Re-allocate money to better the roster.

None of those make sense.

Anyone who has gone out to GLF smells the money being spent. I've mentioned it. It is $100M? Probably not, but we're talking: 32,886/Home Game in 2024 (11th in MLB)
31,272/Home Game in 2023 (16th in MLB)
24,831/Home Game in 2022 (18th in MLB)

The Rangers attendance avg will continue to go up because it is summer... and enclosed. It is absolutely expensive to attend a game. I mean REAL expensive and the ticket price is a fraction. Every person has 2-3 Rangers items on and the concession lines are bursting with people.

Revenue and profits are NOT an issue.

I'll post my theory and some of it has been mentioned here in pieces. I want to separate it from the above to break it in chunks.
Water Boy
AG
Depends on how much the front office wants to spend. Yea you want to upgrade from Taveras but he's only making 2.5 million so going to have to spend some money if you want an established clear upgrade. Also interested to see what we do with Duran. Adolis has been very bad after his hot start but he's only getting paid 7million this year and he's locked in at 7 million next year and I think his upside and energy is worth keeping him on.
rbtexan
S
Agree with everything except Adolis' "upside". I think he's been as good as he's going to ever be.
Jimbo Franchione
sburg2007
Basically we need to sweep these next 6 then lose maybe three before the deadline.
DallasAg 94

There are 2 considerations - Get/stay below CBT. Player contract negotiations.

I do think there is some trade decisions coming. We've mentioned the glut of SP and problem of too many OFs with Carter+Langford.

The article mentions 3 groups.
- Expiring contracts: Scherzer, Lorenzen, Heaney, Leclerc, and Yates
- Payroll guys: Lowe, Heim, and Taveras (Arbs for about $20M)
- Reallocation: Garcia and Gray

It also mentioned cuts if the post-season didn't deliver as much revenue, which would implay there is a trade-deadline perspective and then an off-season perspective. That isn't news to anyone.

I don't think any of the guys mentioned is anything new to this forum.

I think the 1st set of guys are considered for trading at the deadline if we tank. None of those guys are relevant in 2025. Having said that... if you are negotiating with Scherzer or Lorenzen or Heaney... or any of those guys to extend for 2025, floating out lower payroll in 2025 gives you leverage to lowball them, now, if you are looking to extend them.

Gray is owed $13M in 2025. If you can get any of the 3 SPs above to sign for 2025 below $13M, that makes Gray tradable at this year's deadline. Sign Lorenzen for 2yr/$20M ($7 in '25, $13 in '26) with and now you can trade Gray in the next couple weeks, lower your CBT in '24 AND '25.

The Payroll guys, specifically Lowe and Taveras... if Carter returns healthy, you trade Taveras. Mentioned 100 times on ehre. If Duran (who is playing 1B in the minors) can be your 1B, you replace 2 guys making $10M in 2024 with 2 Serfs making minimum wage ($760K). You save $8M on CBT. Lowe and Taveras are expendable and have been underperforming.

With Garcia... He is set to make $9.25M in 2025. If you keep Taveras you can trade Garcia. Something we've talked about.

Summary - we have lower cost options for players who are expensive and under-performing. IMO, you can trade those players (Gray: $13M; Garcia: $9.25M; Lowe: over $7.5M; Taveras: over $2.5M) replace them with existing options (Mahle, Carter/Langford/Taveras/Blonde, Duran), infuse talent and not be worse off.
Water Boy
AG
You could be right. I would take a chance for the 7 million. Maybe my leash for Garcia comes from what he did for us last year. But this is a what have you done for me lately kinda business so who knows.
rbtexan
S
My opinion is mostly age related
Jimbo Franchione
Water Boy
AG
I know Gray can be kinda hit or miss but I think he's earned his paycheck. If CY can find a few more guys like Lorenzen then go for it!
ChoppinDs40
AG
Garcia isn't going anywhere.
DallasAg 94
Now, let's take another stab at maximizing costs:

Pitching costs (2024; 2025) In order of cost
deGrom: $40M; $40M in 2025
Eovaldi: $17M; vOpt in 2025
Gray: $13M; $13M
Scherzer: $13M; FA
Heaney: $13M; FA
Mahle: $5.5M; $16.5M
Lorenzen: $4.5M; FA
Dunning: $3.3M; A2
Urena: $1.75M; FA
Bradford: Serf; Serf

In order of current role for 2024:
Eovaldi: $17M; vOpt in 2025 - Playoff #1
Gray: $13M; $13M
Scherzer: $13M; FA - Playoff #2
Heaney: $13M; FA
Lorenzen: $4.5M; FA - Playoff #3 (or Mahle)

Bullpen:
Dunning: $3.3M; A2
Urena: $1.75M; FA
Bradford: Serf; Serf
Yates: $4.5M; FA
Robertson: $10M; opt

60IL
deGrom: $40M; $40M in 2025
Mahle: $5.5M; $16.5M

If Mahle returns at $6.5M, you really don't want Gray at $13M in the BP... trade him?!

Trade Gray ($13M) to NYM at the deadline for Pete Alonso (Mets eat both contracts). That opens up trading Lowe (for prospects) in 2024, and Duran <plays 1B> in 2025.
gigem1223
Goodness Seager
KT 90
AG
Seager with a bomb. 457 feet to CF.
Tksymm7
Mr Gigem
AG
Adolis with the piss poor effort that AB
Water Boy
AG
Doesn't look like the mental break has helped Garcia. Quick strike out.
gigem1223
Garcia needs out of the 4 hole

Semien
Seager
Smith
Langford
Mr Gigem
AG
He's out of the 4 hole tonight. The way he's playing, he needs to be 7 or 8
gigem1223
Ahh didn't catch that. Yea I'd like to see him in the 7 once Jung comes back.
KT 90
AG

Quote:

If Mahle returns at $6.5M, you really don't want Gray at $13M in the BP... trade him?!

Trade Gray ($13M) to NYM at the deadline for Pete Alonso (Mets eat both contracts). That opens up trading Lowe (for prospects) in 2024, and Duran <plays 1B> in 2025.

If Mahle continues to progress and look good in his rehab starts, you could definitely look to trade someone once he is ready. I believe he makes start #2 tomorrow night. Not sure the number of starts they have planned for him, but by the trade deadline (end of July) they should know if he is MLB ready or not.

I wish Bradford was making rehab starts by now, but he's not there yet. I remember reading he was progressing and I believe throwing off a mound, but apparently not yet ready for live action. If he were ready to go, it would be easier to trade Heaney. But he's not, so that's a little more of a roll of the dice if you wanted to replace one lefty with another lefty on the pitching staff.

gigem1223
Sick of watching Gray pitch. He's sucked for awhile now
Mr Gigem
AG
Time to take him out. He's getting squared up HARD
Mr Gigem
AG
Gray does not locate well, and oftentimes throws fastballs and changeups right down the middle. He no longer has the stuff to be a SP and needs to be moved to the BP permanently
gigem1223
Urena never deserved to be taken out of the rotation. They need to swap until Mahle gets back.
DallasAg 94
Talking about a weak trio in a lineup?!

These are the 3 guys that are beating us tonight:
Drury (2B): 38G, .178, 1 HR
Moniak (CF): 71G, .194, 4 HR
Adell (RF): 81G, .186, 14 HR
KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

Urena never deserved to be taken out of the rotation. They need to swap until Mahle gets back.

Urena definitely deserves better. He has been really good this season.
WestTexasAg
AG
WTF happened to Gray? Damn. Just out there throwing BP at this point.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Talking about a weak trio in a lineup?!

These are the 3 guys that are beating us tonight:
Drury (2B): 38G, .178, 1 HR
Moniak (CF): 71G, .194, 4 HR
Adell (RF): 81G, .186, 14 HR

I saw those three sub .200 hitters lined up in a row before the game and told my boys that those guys will light the Rangers up.

All we need next is for a pitcher with an 8 ERA to go 7 shutout against us.

Happens every freaking time.
First Page Last Page
Page 266 of 357

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.