***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,274,556 Views | 60159 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by Hornbeck
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wonder if Brice Matthews/Jeron Williams could be viewed as a more medium/long term 3B option with either Breggy or stopgap FA in the meantime. One consideration on length of contract with Bregman could be moving over to 1B if his defense starts to worsen. I would still expect 3 good defensive years from him, though.

I dunno, just some thoughts.
texasaggie2015
AG
They see Matthews as a guy who can play SS, CF and 3B at an elite level and 3B is absolutely in play.

Also... it sounds like there's a non-zero chance Matthews debuts next year. Which is wild considering this time last year the word was he could take a few years to develop.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Really... We're keeping Diaz over cabbage? I don't understand the purpose of having him on the team at all. And before anyone tells me clubhouse presence or leadership, the team has been awful every since he came up. If that's what he's here for, he sucks at it.
Beau Holder
AG
Beau Holder said:

Someone let me know when we get a Dezenzo call-up, it's time to find something else to do with these evenings.

Not gonna lie, I thought I'd have a longer reprieve.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I've actually heard over the last few days they're seriously considering converting him to a 1B full time and that they view his defensive skillset at third base fairly limited.

This is interesting because it seems like here in the past week or so there's been more Bregman extension coming up as a talking point more than it has all season.

I just chalked it up to the trade deadline past and that's now the natural next talking point.
Ag_07
AG
I don't think anyone is going to use that as justification.

Diaz is here for his versatility and nothing else. He's one roster spot that can play multiple positions in a bind.

His role is to chill out and be ready wherever and whenever we may need him.
texasaggie2015
AG
Did I miss something?
Phrasing
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Did I miss something?
I was curious about that as well. I don't think so just by reading the thread
linkdude
AG
With Cabbage going down it makes me think that Dubie will not be at 1B anymore. Sending down a fourth OF doesn't give them much flexibility unless Dubie takes that role. I guess it'll be a mix of Dubie/Leon in right.
n_touch
texasaggie2015 said:

Did I miss something?
I have seen more articles about the extension for Bregman as well in more places. I think that is all is he was pointing out.
Ag_07
AG
No but I've seen it pop up on social media, heard it being discussed on 790, and I think Dana even said recently they haven't yet but were planning to make a contract offer once the season has ended.

Nothing earth shattering but it has popped back up in conversations kinda out of nowhere.
texasaggie2015
AG
I haven't heard anything new.
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower
I'm not overly interesting in marrying Bregman well I to his 30's unless he's giving us a hometown discount (doubtful). The priority should be Tucker.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

They see Matthews as a guy who can play SS, CF and 3B at an elite level and 3B is absolutely in play.

Also... it sounds like there's a non-zero chance Matthews debuts next year. Which is wild considering this time last year the word was he could take a few years to develop.
Doesnt Shay also have the ability to play 3B as well?
Chef Elko
AG
I get it, we have to part with someone and we can't hold onto every prospect. I'm looking forward to Dezenzo
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
SIDE NOTE****

Does the App only work if you have a paid subscription? Apparently my membership expired and I had it clicked off auto renew (dont recall which BS caused me to change it) I was going to see how it worked without the perks of the save thread and blocks...but if it also takes away the app I might have to at leat get the basic package
EastCoastAgNc
AG

... but why?
BadAggie
AG
Melton, Lorenzo, Matthews, Whitcomb, Leon

Might as well get them MLB experience, especially since you held onto them

Farmer1906
AG
Texaggie7nine
Solid choice by Zach

7nine
BadAggie
AG
Project Gemini
AG
Hope his family makes it tonight. First big league game broadcasts are always some of my favorites.
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Really... We're keeping Diaz over cabbage? I don't understand the purpose of having him on the team at all. And before anyone tells me clubhouse presence or leadership, the team has been awful every since he came up. If that's what he's here for, he sucks at it.
#1 Cabbage can't play every position in the IF
#2 he has options
#3 he's sucked as much as Aledmys.
redline248
AG
We all know that we've been in a slump at the plate, but I wanted to look at it since the 3rd game of Dodgers series (July 28). It's bad. Only 2 players above 100 wRC+

Wabs
AG
redline248 said:

We all know that we've been in a slump at the plate, but I wanted to look at it since the 3rd game of Dodgers series (July 28). It's bad. Only 2 players above 100 wRC+

Yet Cintron is still here. How do I get a gig like this?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
OKCAg2002
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

... but why?

Probably to bump interest for a possible Nashville expansion team? Either way, what's more American than NASCAR and baseball?
Farmer1906
AG
That's not the As Billy Beane. Just fyi.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I think it might be, the A's even posted something about it.
Farmer1906
AG
It absolutely is not.
Farmer1906
AG
spadilly
S
A's/Moneyball is Billy Beane
This is Billy Bean (without the e)
TarponChaser
spadilly said:

A's/Moneyball is Billy Beane
This is Billy Bean (without the e)

This Billy Bean came out of the closet after retiring and, IIRC, is the only MLB player in history to do so. Hence, his DEI role with MLB.
First Page Last Page
Page 1306 of 1719

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.