***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,215,739 Views | 59156 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by Faustus
houag78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Correct. And based on the current wild car standings, it's going to take 89-90 wins to be a WC team. So if we can't overtake the mariners, we might be sitting at home in Oct.
Booma94
AG
Ag_07 said:

Hader was fine last night in a nonsave.

It's just not having anyone worth a flying fck behind him to bring it home because you've spent all your bullets.

Not saying it's Espada's fault for firing the bullets because those were absolutely the right plays at the time.

Just sucks the offense couldn't add some insurance given the bullets were already fired.
I agree that Hader was fine, but like you point out, the problem with using him in the tie is that when they took the lead they didn't have any bullets left to close it out. Once you knew it was loss or extras, it made more sense to use the other guy with clean bases and to save your closer for the high leverage spot of extras when you start with the Manfred runner.
n_touch
Booma94 said:

Ag_07 said:

Hader was fine last night in a nonsave.

It's just not having anyone worth a flying fck behind him to bring it home because you've spent all your bullets.

Not saying it's Espada's fault for firing the bullets because those were absolutely the right plays at the time.

Just sucks the offense couldn't add some insurance given the bullets were already fired.
I agree that Hader was fine, but like you point out, the problem with using him in the tie is that when they took the lead they didn't have any bullets left to close it out. Once you knew it was loss or extras, it made more sense to use the other guy with clean bases and to save your closer for the high leverage spot of extras when you start with the Manfred runner.

The gamble was also hoping it would be a quick inning and not take 27 pitches. Could have rolled him back out of it wS only 15 pitches or so.
W
AG
BadAggie said:

houag78 said:

In the 13 games since he hit for the cycle, Yordan is batting .276 w 0 HR and 1 RBI (on a walk). We are 5-8 during that stretch. We need him to find his power swing quickly!

Yep. It's not just the Meyers and Dubons of the lineup
Bochy intentionally walked Yordan twice last night

unfortunately, the opposing manager gets a say in who gets the critical late game at-bats
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
They need to quickly move from strongly considering to action... Like in the next few hours
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

AND? I don't know how they would do both
Farmer1906
AG
carpediem13
AG
Goodbye aledmys?
agproducer
AG
This is the 2016 team all over again.
linkdude
AG
big day for breaking news
MosesHallRAB04
AG
agproducer said:

That team was young and learning to win. This team just largely sucks.
agproducer
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

agproducer said:

That team was young and learning to win. This team just largely sucks.
That's a good point. I was coming from the context that expectations were high at the beginning of the season, and they have failed to meet those expectations.
tylhair
AG
Is Dezenzo gonna play 1B? DH? Bench?
BQRyno
AG
tylhair said:

Bench is the way for Espada
Ag_07
AG
Truth be told as it stands now I think we're probably right at where we expected this team to be when the season started.

Not awful, on pace for 80 something wins, and battling for a playoff spot in a weak division.

Some out there probably expected more but that's not far off of what most of us expected.
Farmer1906
AG
Dezenzo Triple A Stats (small sample)

Overall

Vs Different Pitch Types

Vs RHP

Vs LHP
Farmer1906
AG
tylhair said:

He has mainly played 3B. He has only dabbled at 1B (9 games in '24, 7 in '23) & 2B.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tylhair said:

He has mainly played 3B. He has only dabbled at 1B (9 games in '24, 7 in '23) & 2B.

So he can play a dubon level first base. Sign me up
Ag_07
AG
Not sure what bringing up Dezenzo accomplishes or even where he'll play.

Ironic that they're looking for a spark...That guy was traded to TOR a week ago.
tjack16
AG
"He will ride the bench and he will like it" - Espada probably
n_touch
agproducer said:

Miss the playoffs this year and start a 7 year run again next year with 4 WS appearances and 2 wins? I'd be all for it.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Not sure what bringing up Dezenzo accomplishes or even where he'll play.

Ironic that they're looking for a spark...That guy was traded to TOR a week ago.

"Sparky" has a .505 OPS since June 22nd. Almost 38% K rate.
Chef Elko
AG
Dezenzo as a bat cant be any worse than Cabbage
Ag_07
AG
I'm aware.

I didn't say he was productive, but he did seem to add a bit of spark and energy to the team.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

If his role is First Base platoon and pinch hitter, I am for it. We have passed on several options to pair with Singleton. It's ridiculous it has taken this long. The only issue I have with it is that it stunts his growth at Third Base. In my eyes, he was the most likely prospect to be groomed to replace Bregman. With the injury, position versatility, and now the early call up I think we're putting a lot on him if we expect him to be ready defensively for everyday 3B play in 2025.
Chef Elko
AG
6/21 he was ballin'
Farmer1906
AG
Chef Elko said:

6/21 he was ballin'
I was trying to be generous and give a little bit larger window. Since 7/11 he has a .402 OPS with a 42% K%.
Chef Elko
AG
Yes yes, we know you're happy he was traded.
Farmer1906
AG
No, I liked him. Sometimes we all get caught in the hype of a player and kind of lose touch with what they are. But I understood why we traded him.
tjack16
AG
Judging a rookie is always interesting. Bregman started what 0-32 his first year? And I remember Springer had flashes his first year but he struck out ALOT and had a low on base. Framber looked like he would never pan out as a starter

Then on the other hand, Pena hit 25 HR including the postseason and looked like we didn't take a step back from Correa.
texasaggie2015
AG
I've actually heard over the last few days they're seriously considering converting him to a 1B full time and that they view his defensive skillset at third base fairly limited.
BadAggie
AG
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/c60d8a3b-47f0-4780-a51d-0a59c9fc07c9/gif
Farmer1906
AG
If that is the case then this makes more sense. 2024 was about answering the question. If they think the answer is no then it makes this offseason interesting. Extend Breggy? Get Chappy is he opts out? Not much else out there.
First Page Last Page
Page 1305 of 1691

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.