***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,279,904 Views | 60224 Replies | Last: 35 min ago by txags92
RO519
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
But I heard he was cut from the same mold as Yordan...
redline248
AG
Wow, the Jays are batting Joey 2nd
MaxPower
I wonder what George is thinking with the Jays going into a rebuild. He's a leader so I don't think he will make any noise public but surely that's not the situation he wants to be in at this point in his career.
Ag_07
AG
Eh...He may not have expected a rebuild but they're a perennial underachieving team.

And that isn't something that has just popped up since George signed. He knew what he was getting into when he signed with TOR.
Project Gemini
AG
redline248 said:

Wow, the Jays are batting Joey 2nd

You didn't hear he was supposed to replace Kyle Tucker next year? Guy is pretty good.
iamtheglove
AggiEE said:

Re: Kikuchi from insider Nook

Supposedly the Astros sent him tape right away showing him some of the things the Astros pitching coaches and advanced scout noticed.

For all I know he could go 1-6 the rest of the way, but I am impressed by the amount of time and work the Astros put into deciding who to trade for and how they can help them improve. He has a top 5 fastball in baseball and hopefully they maximize it.

I keep thinking how amazing it will be on this thread when Kikuchi implements these tweaks, wins out and becomes the catalyst for our 3rd championship. IMO, that's more likely to happen than Joey Lopes becoming an all star
BadAggie
AG
So Tucker will continue to be out through at least Aug. 7th

Sounds like we're getting closer to a JV return and a Garcia season debut

MaxPower
Should just extend him now while he's cheap so we don't have to make a dumbarse trade like this again next year.
Baseball Is Life
JPN06 said:

Baseball Is Life said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

Loperfido is close to the Alvarez mold.
I followed both extensively at the minor league level. You are seeing things from a minor league/early call-up (Loperfido) to a finished product (Yordan). There a lot of similarities' between the two.
This is hilarious.

Yordan at 25 was in his 4th season removed from ROY and finished 3rd in MVP voting. The excitement around his MLB debut (at age 21) was through the roof.

Loperfido is a guy who only diehard fans had even heard of when he debuted. He has some tools, but the odds are against him ever being an everyday major league player.

Age doesn't matter and is irrelevant in this situation. Yordan was a young international player that was signed as a teen and Joey went to college.

Edit - Again, there is only one Yordan Alvarez. He's a beast. I never said Joey was Yordan, so you can stop with the BS. I said their trajectory through the minors and their games were similar.
Chef Elko
AG
tjack16 said:

On a different note…. Zero excuse to not win tonight

We were -205 last night....
Beat40
BadAggie said:

So Tucker will continue to be out through at least Aug. 7th

Sounds like we're getting closer to a JV return and a Garcia season debut

Ready for these two to return. Need it.

My expectations from Garcia aren't really high to be honest, but if he's more than serviceable, but less than LuACE, that will be great.
MaxPower
He seems prime for the bullpen after getting Kikuchi
Chef Elko
AG
redline248 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Who could have guessed this would be the outcome of his first AB as a Blue Jay

As I said last night, the "check-ins" for this trade will last for years
Years from now...

Posters initially ok with the trade - Anything short of a perennial All Star or Gold Golver they will say Loperfido sucks

Posters initially against the trade - Anything the same or slightly better than a platoon of Myers and McCormick they will say he's amazing
Beau Holder
AG
Cards up 3-0 on the Rags after tacking on the third run with a safety squeeze. Is that legal?
Chef Elko
AG
Will Javier beat McCullers back?
Beau Holder
AG
Chef Elko said:

tjack16 said:

On a different note…. Zero excuse to not win tonight

We were -205 last night....

That was clearly just Vegas underestimating the elite arm that is Bailey Falter.
Bag
AG
Chef Elko said:

Will Javier beat McCullers back?
McCullers will never pitch again
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

I said their trajectory through the minors and their games were similar.

I just don't see it and can't believe I'm even entertaining this with a response.

Yordan has a prolific generational hit tool specifically his power. As soon he stepped onto the big league diamond he was spraying piss missiles everywhere. Even upon his arrival Yordan was never overmatched by ML pitching. Joey's power that he showed in the minors has disappeared and is currently working his way to a 30% K rate.

Joey is nowhere close to where Yordan was he came up and don't see anything that would indicate he'll ever get close to Yordan at any time in his career.

There just aren't very many similarities between the two.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

I just don't see it and can't believe I'm even entertaining this with a response.

Yordan has a prolific generational hit tool specifically his power. As soon he stepped onto the big league diamond he was spraying piss missiles everywhere. Even upon his arrival Yordan was never overmatched by ML pitching. Joey's power that he showed in the minors has disappeared and is currently working his way to a 30% K rate.

Joey is nowhere close to where Yordan was he came up and don't see anything that would indicate he'll ever get close to Yordan at any time in his career.

Plus, his point about him playing in college actually hurts his argument even more when you consider he's 25 and still in reality needed a year in AAA before getting an opportunity this year due to injury. I would have expected a college player with a trajectory for a productive MLB player to be ready to hit the league at 22/23/24.

Alex did it at 22.
TarponChaser
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

I'm a fan of Loperfido but the comparison is pretty ridiculous.

Yordan hit .313 as a rookie with 27 HR and an OPS of 1.067. He's a rare combination of hitting for a high average and still having stupid power. He also walks a decent amount and is on pace for about 90 walks this season.
Ag_07
AG
It's crazy talk

Joey could still become a quality ML ball player with a nice career but even if he meets his absolute max potential his game would look nothing like Yordan's.
Chef Elko
AG
Did you know Juan Soto was 23?
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
And even if the comparison was their minor league time, Yordan hit even more line drive rockets in the minors, most of which were to the opposite field because pitchers were so scared of him.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07
AG
Now both Crane's miscues are gone and just a sunk costs.

Hopefully this goes a long ways towards him letting the front office do the front office things.
bearkatag15
AG

Rare DH day for Caratini
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
RED AG 98
AG
Ummm, wow. I didn't see those coming. Guess they actively shopped Montero and no one took the bait.
jkag89
Ag_07 said:

Now both Crane's miscues are gone and just a sunk costs.

Hopefully this goes a long ways towards him letting the front office do the front office things.
Yep, hopefully has learned a lesson from this,
jtb82
Going to the Asheville Tourists on Sunday - who should I look for? Hoping to see Bryce Matthews but he was promoted.
Thank you
BadAggie
AG
Farmer1906 said:

GTFO

Beau Holder
AG
No Leon
tjack16
AG
Why not DH Pedro Leon today?

We just going to call him up and never play him?
Farmer1906
AG
Luis Baez… and that's about it.

Most of the better guys are in Corpus, Sugar Land, and Fayetteville.
First Page Last Page
Page 1249 of 1721

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.