***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,063,867 Views | 56724 Replies | Last: 20 sec ago by Mathguy64
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The only thing I know for certain is this trade will be talked about longer than the Straw for Yainer/Maton deal.
bearkatag15
AG
AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

Let's examine Joey Loperfido's offensive statistics:

Based on his baseball savant page he does nothing good except run and throw.

But sure let's all lose our minds over shipping off the 25 year old that can't make contact with a baseball

First....we did not give him a fair shot if you are going to judge his rookie year in the majors. Plenty of examples of players that take a while to get going, this isn't uncommon.

Secondly....many people aren't necessarily upset that we traded Loperfido, but that he wasn't used for a much better trade.

The value we gave up in this trade was enormous and we got back very little.

Starting pitchers were going for a kings ransom. This trade and what we gave up does not impact our future as much as most fans want to believe.

The Padres and Orioles absolutely hurt their farm system much more with what they gave up. I was upset initially but got over it after really looking at this from a bigger picture.

I've seen Loperfido compared to Altuve, Tucker and Yordan (not on here) and being anointed the next big superstar in the league (on here). This fanbase is drunk on emotion over this. It's insanity

We literally traded away a left handed Corey Julks

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
AggiEE
bearkatag15 said:

AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

But sure let's all lose our minds over shipping off the 25 year old that can't make contact with a baseball

First....we did not give him a fair shot if you are going to judge his rookie year in the majors. Plenty of examples of players that take a while to get going, this isn't uncommon.

Secondly....many people aren't necessarily upset that we traded Loperfido, but that he wasn't used for a much better trade.

Starting pitchers were going for a kings ransom. This trade and what we gave up does not impact our future as much as most fans want to believe.

The Padres and Orioles absolutely hurt their farm system much more with what they gave up. I was upset initially but got over it after really looking at this from a bigger picture.

I've seen Loperfido compared to Altuve, Tucker and Yordan (not on here) and being anointed the next big superstar in the league (on here). This fanbase is drunk on emotion over this. It's insanity

Were they? No. I don't think starters were going for a king's ransom. At least, not at the quality of Kikuchi.

Mets got Paul Blackburn from the As for a single pitching prospect. If we just needed a guy to give you 5 innings per start with a ho-him ERA like Kikuchi, there were some very possible cheap trades to be made.

Dana just got played big time on this deal
bearkatag15
AG
AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

Were they? No. I don't think starters were going for a king's ransom. At least, not at the quality of Kikuchi.

Mets got Paul Blackburn from the As for a single pitching prospect. If we just needed a guy to give you 5 innings per start with a ho-him ERA like Kikuchi, there were some very possible cheap trades to be made.

Dana just got played big time on this deal
Orioles gave up 2 of their top 10 prospects plus another for the Marlins pitcher with a 4.53 ERA.. The best prospect they gave up was ranked like top 40 in the overall MLB prospect rankings...

Padres gave up an insane amount for a reliever rental. Not even a starter. Prices were way up. Kikuchi is better than Blackburn so that is why he cost more.
Breggy Popup
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I mean, Corey is black and Joey is white.
texasaggie2015
AG
99% be a superstar?!?

That's one of the most insane things I've ever read. The best prospect in baseball doesn't even have close to a 99% chance of being a superstar.
Heineken-Ashi
bearkatag15 said:

AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

You're still comparing a rookie who has at best platooned to a AAAA player who played half a season in the bigs before this one. And the rookie has double the RBI's in less at bats despite going through rookie growing pains. I'm sorry, you're not making the case you think you are. Loperfido MASHED AAA. The same way Springer did, who also struck out a lot. There simply isn't even data to say what Joey is or isn't. But I'll tell you what is a fact. That we gave him up with TWO OTHER PROSPECTS for a guy who would be our 7th or 8th starting option if our roster was healthy. It didn't need to happen. We didn't get better. And our future might have gotten worse. It was a bad trade. It's ok to say that you are in rationalization mode and willing to beat your head against a wall until you feel better. We've all done it. But this was a bad trade.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
bearkatag15
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

bearkatag15 said:

AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

You're still comparing a rookie who has at best platooned to a AAAA player who played half a season in the bigs before this one. And the rookie has double the RBI's in less at bats despite going through rookie growing pains. I'm sorry, you're not making the case you think you are. Loperfido MASHED AAA. The same way Springer did, who also struck out a lot. There simply isn't even data to say what Joey is or isn't. But I'll tell you what is a fact. That we gave him up with TWO OTHER PROSPECTS for a guy who would be our 7th or 8th starting option if our roster was healthy. It didn't need to happen. We didn't get better. And our future might have gotten worse. It was a bad trade. It's ok to say that you are in rationalization mode and willing to beat your head against a wall until you feel better. We've all done it. But this was a bad trade.
But its not hence the trade... Kikuchi is better than Bloss and that isn't up for debate. If losing Wagner, Bloss and Loperfido change our future then we have much bigger issues as an organization. No other contending team would bat an eye at giving up 2 25/26 year old "prospects" and an already injury prone pitcher that has a gas can for an arm.
W
AG
you know...one thing about the American League...

the race for the pennant is wide open

the Orioles are 28-25 since June 1st -- been very average since their hot start in April & May

are the Guardians the favorite?

Cleveland is 27-23 since June 1st -- similar to Baltimore -- close to .500 since a great start
txags92
AG
AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

This. We brought him up and he was hitting red hot for a month. So we rewarded him by sitting him on the bench behind Chas doing absolutely nothing for several weeks, then sent him back to AAA. Why? Then we traded him and two other guys for 2.5 months worth of a JAG starting pitcher. I would have rather seen what he could do over the course of the rest of the season playing in place of Chas.
redline248
AG
txags92 said:

AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

This. We brought him up and he was hitting red hot for a month. So we rewarded him by sitting him on the bench behind Chas doing absolutely nothing for several weeks, then sent him back to AAA. Why? Then we traded him and two other guys for 2.5 months worth of a JAG starting pitcher. I would have rather seen what he could do over the course of the rest of the season playing in place of Chas.
Yep, Joey sat while Chas did nothing in June

redline248
AG
Then once Chas cooled in July we gave Joey no chances to take over

txags92
AG
You forgot to include what Joey was doing in May before we sat him down in favor of Chas.

redline248
AG
And as the sample got bigger and bigger, his trend kept going the wrong way. Blame it on icing him if you want.
txags92
AG
redline248 said:

And as the sample got bigger and bigger, his trend kept going the wrong way. Blame it on icing him if you want.
We will never know because we kept yanking his chain and sitting him on the bench, including sitting him in favor of Chas starting May 20 when he had an OPS over .800. You could have also looked at what Chas did from May 20 to June 21 when we sat Joey on the bench and sent him to AAA.

txags92
AG
FWIW, I don't know what Loperfido will do in Toronto, and I got a good laugh out of the 99% superstar prognostication. But I think he showed enough when he came up and was getting regular playing time to make him intriguing. I don't think what we got in the trade was worth losing him and two other players. I hope I am wrong and Dana is a genius, but right now it is hard to see that from the info available.
AggiEE
Re: Kikuchi from insider Nook

Supposedly the Astros sent him tape right away showing him some of the things the Astros pitching coaches and advanced scout noticed.

For all I know he could go 1-6 the rest of the way, but I am impressed by the amount of time and work the Astros put into deciding who to trade for and how they can help them improve. He has a top 5 fastball in baseball and hopefully they maximize it.
Baseball Is Life
bearkatag15 said:

A superstar? lol

Dude strikes out more than Joey Gallo. That's probably a good comp for him. Joey Gallo with speed

You probably crapped on Breggy for going 0 for 18 during his rookie start. Loperfido is close to the Alvarez mold. You would be the guy talking **** to me when I was posting Yordan stuff, if we had traded him back then.

Yes, I understand that we want this trade to work out. I want it to work out as well. Loperfido will be an all-star player. The trade is what it is at this point. Maybe we got the better end for this season.
Baseball Is Life
texasaggie2015 said:

99% be a superstar?!?

That's one of the most insane things I've ever read. The best prospect in baseball doesn't even have close to a 99% chance of being a superstar.

Hyperbole number, but I do expect him to be an all-star. Outside of a remote connection to Yordan, I have no connection. What I say, is from me. You might be too close to Jim, as you're acting a little silly tonight.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Loperfido is close to the Alvarez mold.
Baseball Is Life
redline248 said:

Quote:

I followed both extensively at the minor league level. You are seeing things from a minor league/early call-up (Loperfido) to a finished product (Yordan). There a lot of similarities' between the two.
BudFox7
Some of you fellas are incorrigible.

We have 4 starting pitchers down, and one of the best hitters in baseball.

You're mad we dealt some prospects for a guy to help bridge to the playoffs where a healthy team will have another shot at a championship.

Tucker, Verlander, Bergman, Framber, Blanco. Some of these guys will not be here in the next couple years.
tjack16
AG
BudFox7 said:

Some of you fellas are incorrigible.

We have 4 starting pitchers down, and one of the best hitters in baseball.

You're mad we dealt some prospects for a guy to help bridge to the playoffs where a healthy team will have another shot at a championship.

Tucker, Verlander, Bergman, Framber, Blanco. Some of these guys will not be here in the next couple years.

4 pitchers and a hitter down. You're right. 2 of those pitchers might be back, and the hitter is let's see it before we believe it. This team needed major help…

So the big moves they make are for a 5 starter who likely won't throw in the playoffs, and a reliever who we will trust less than Montero.

I'm not mad at who we sent away… I'm mad at the return. For that price you could have had Flaherty, who would be good enough to be your 3 starter in a playoff series
JPN06
Baseball Is Life said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

I followed both extensively at the minor league level. You are seeing things from a minor league/early call-up (Loperfido) to a finished product (Yordan). There a lot of similarities' between the two.
This is hilarious.

Yordan at 25 was in his 4th season removed from ROY and finished 3rd in MVP voting. The excitement around his MLB debut (at age 21) was through the roof.

Loperfido is a guy who only diehard fans had even heard of when he debuted. He has some tools, but the odds are against him ever being an everyday major league player.
AustinCountyAg
Man, super pissed off I was sleeping while everyone had a logical conversation how Joey loperfido is a future hall of famer and the Astros just traded away there entire future by sending three total players to another team.

So stupid.
Shayboy3
S
If anyone is interested I have 4 tickets to the game tonight that I cannot use. Just let me know
AustinCountyAg
Shayboy3 said:

If anyone is interested I have 4 tickets to the game tonight that I cannot use. Just let me know
where at? How much? I'm interested
iBrad
AG
Loperfido, Cabbage, McCormick, and Meyers were all guys you could trade and not lose much sleep over. Most knew that at least one of them would be moved. Losing one doesn't alter the direction of the franchise. The issue is that most expected a package containing one of these guys to bring back a little more than a rental.
W
AG
speaking of stats for outfielders...

Jake is wrapping up a 'Jose Abreu' month of July

OPS ---> .563

while hitting in the 6-hole
bearkatag15
AG
W said:

OPS ---> .563

You know who else was in the midst of an Abreu month(s)…. Loperfido. Dude has been awful for 2 months now

Farmer1906
AG
While we're slandering Loperfido, can we talk about Doobie? I know some have fawned over him and even called him the "Team MVP" last year. He's at 87 wRC+ this year which is almost in line with his career wRC+ of 86. This will be year 6 of sub 100 wRC+. I think any plans to play him more than part time as a back up or misplaced. We may need to look into upgrade our super utility in the offseason. Dubon is going to make 5+ M and he's on the wrong side of 30 now.

txags92
AG
bearkatag15 said:

W said:

OPS ---> .563

You know who else was in the midst of an Abreu month(s)…. Loperfido. Dude has been awful for 2 months now

He wasn't "awful" in June. He got to play in all of 8 games that month and was 5 for 20 with 4 RBIs and a walk with 7 SO. Not superstar level, but Jose Abreu would have killed to have numbers that good.
Farmer1906
AG
I says since June. He has a wRC+ of 61. From 21-24 Maldy has a wRC+ of 60. He was basically Maldy with more Ks for the last 2 months.
Ag_07
AG

We need a win tonight in the worst kind of way.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I says since June. He has a wRC+ of 61. From 21-24 Maldy has a wRC+ of 60. He was basically Maldy with more Ks for the last 2 months.
His wRC+ for June was 93. He was truly awful in July and it drags the combined number down, but to say he was awful for both months is not true. I get that people retroactively want to convince themselves he was not a good player to feel better about trading him for 2.5 months of a JAG pitcher, but there are plenty of guys in our starting lineup right now who have had 1-2 month stretches of being terrible this season.
First Page Last Page
Page 1246 of 1621

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.