***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,208,948 Views | 58977 Replies | Last: 43 min ago by tjack16
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

need some offense

Need(ed) to add offense. Failed.
Marvin
AG
This year's team has not been a fun to watch. High expectations and really only one player is exceeding expectations in Diaz. I guess you could throw Scott in there on the pitching side.

Just a big bucket of meh.
Beau Holder
AG
One bat wouldn't fix the systemic rot in this offense.

2/3 of it are **** it chuck it free swingers, all of them are streaky, most of them are noodles with no slug.

There are too many problems to fix with the only hope for the future we've got in our minor league system. This is not a title contender with or without Yandy Diaz.
Faustus
W said:

Yordan draws the Astros first walk of the night

in the 8th

Astros are 27th in taking walks (287), and 3rd in bestowing them (388). The White Sox are providing cushion on the wrong end of both those numbers.

https://www.mlb.com/stats/team/walks

https://www.mlb.com/stats/team/pitching/american-league/walks-allowed
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
linkdude
AG
At least we're not the White Sox. 28 blown saves and 16 straight losses after tonight.
Wabs
AG
Arozarena and Turner with 3 RBI for the Mariners tonight.
n_touch
EastCoastAgNc said:

Yeah ok sure

Notice he did not qualify which September
Beat40
Interesting.
W
AG
pinch-single for Caratini
W
AG
infield single for Chas
Marvin
AG
More errors than runs.
CFTXAG10
AG
Jesus blue
AggiEE
Robo umps please

That terrible call completely ****ed that AB
AggieMD95
AG
McCullers has been a tease for five yrs it seems like
concac
AG
I think we should trade for guys to help the offense.

Is it too late?
tremble
AG
Not even close.
W
AG
what a dreadful outfield the 'stros ran out there tonight

.600 and .700 OPS does not lie
Beau Holder
AG
Mariners had a historically legendary collapse and will still enter August in first place. That's how bad this Astros team is.
linkdude
AG
One day more, hopefully a good one to salvage the series. Score early and let Framber roll, please.
Baseball Is Life
I haven't read or heard anything today as I just got home, but you know the team probably feels similar to us. They are human, too. They get paid a lot, but they know the team got fleeced (lost a few buddies as well) and that isn't easy to process. Especially, in a mental game like baseball.

Hopefully, they bond with Kikuchi & Ferguson -- reset the minds and get back on a roll.
tjack16
AG
Nothing encapsulates this season more than beating the Dodgers twice in a row and building momentum… then immediately losing 3 straight with zero offensive effort and a blown lead by the bullpen.
txags92
AG
Beat40 said:

txags92 said:

Beat40 said:

txags92 said:

halfastros81 said:

Would have liked to see him in an Astros uni but price was too high
So was the price for coochie.

You guys have driven me to the point where I'm now rooting for Kikuchi insanely hard, and I haven't ever wanted him to pitch for the Astros.
Believe me, I am not rooting against the guy. I hope he makes me eat my words and will gladly eat crow if he does. I just don't see the value prop of three prospects, two of which were good enough to be with the major league team already, for 2-3 months from a guy that is far from a sure thing right now. If I turn out to be wrong, I will be happy.

I have seen this several times. The reality is they actually weren't good enough. They were only on the MLB team because of injury and poor performance from Chas.

Bloss barely has pitched at the MLB level. Joey was essentially Chas before he was traded.

Neither of them would have been on the MLB team if it weren't for injury and Chas being underwhelming.
I keep reading stuff like that about Joey, but he hit .353 in May, after which we sat him for several weeks then sent him to AAA. When he came back, he hit .250 in June, and only went cold in July. Where would he have been if we had not sat him down and iced him when he was red hot?
Chef Elko
AG
Sooo, uhhhh, how about that change in weather? This week is hot
redline248
AG
Can Caratini play in the field anywhere? I guess best bet is to put Yordan in LF and have Caratini and Yainer fill C/DH.
bearkatag15
AG
redline248 said:

Can Caratini play in the field anywhere? I guess best bet is to put Yordan in LF and have Caratini and Yainer fill C/DH.
Firstbase
Baseball Is Life
txags92 said:

Beat40 said:

txags92 said:

Beat40 said:

txags92 said:

halfastros81 said:

Would have liked to see him in an Astros uni but price was too high
So was the price for coochie.

You guys have driven me to the point where I'm now rooting for Kikuchi insanely hard, and I haven't ever wanted him to pitch for the Astros.
Believe me, I am not rooting against the guy. I hope he makes me eat my words and will gladly eat crow if he does. I just don't see the value prop of three prospects, two of which were good enough to be with the major league team already, for 2-3 months from a guy that is far from a sure thing right now. If I turn out to be wrong, I will be happy.

I have seen this several times. The reality is they actually weren't good enough. They were only on the MLB team because of injury and poor performance from Chas.

Bloss barely has pitched at the MLB level. Joey was essentially Chas before he was traded.

Neither of them would have been on the MLB team if it weren't for injury and Chas being underwhelming.
I keep reading stuff like that about Joey, but he hit .353 in May, after which we sat him for several weeks then sent him to AAA. When he came back, he hit .250 in June, and only went cold in July. Where would he have been if we had not sat him down and iced him when he was red hot?

Joey will 99% be a superstar. You can search my account and I was posting about his opening day from the Space Cowboy's vs Express game. I was also bringing up Yordan from a different handle, way back before anyone knew who he was.

Joey isn't Yordan, so I don't want anyone to get that confused. However, I think Joey will be a yearly all-star caliber guy. A little less of a bat, but a better glove than Yordan. A lot of people really undervalue Yordan in the field, but I am not one of those people.
Baseball Is Life
https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/3452231/replies/67267097

I like opening night, but I was mainly there to watch Joey.
bearkatag15
AG
A superstar? lol

Dude strikes out more than Joey Gallo. That's probably a good comp for him. Joey Gallo with speed
bearkatag15
AG
I might start a thread dedicated to Loperfido's strikeout totals each game.
Beau Holder
AG
Might be much more fun than watching this team finish 83-79.
MaxPower
No, he won't.
bearkatag15
AG
Let's examine Joey Loperfido's offensive statistics:

Based on his baseball savant page he does nothing good except run and throw.

But sure let's all lose our minds over shipping off the 25 year old that can't make contact with a baseball
n_touch
Anyone got tickets for the next couple nights?
AggiEE
bearkatag15 said:

Let's examine Joey Loperfido's offensive statistics:

Based on his baseball savant page he does nothing good except run and throw.

But sure let's all lose our minds over shipping off the 25 year old that can't make contact with a baseball

First....we did not give him a fair shot if you are going to judge his rookie year in the majors. Plenty of examples of players that take a while to get going, this isn't uncommon.

Secondly....many people aren't necessarily upset that we traded Loperfido, but that he wasn't used for a much better trade.

The value we gave up in this trade was enormous and we got back very little.
First Page Last Page
Page 1245 of 1686

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.