***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,208,926 Views | 58977 Replies | Last: 40 min ago by tjack16
Shayboy3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
They are in section 133 row 15
4 seats all together
$100
RO519
AG
Jesus... this thread the past 24 hours has been absolutely brutal to follow.
tjack16
AG
RO519 said:

So has the team and front office
Bobcat-Ag
Do we know when we get the big Kikuchi debut?
bearkatag15
AG

Let's take a look at players that will actually impact the future of this team.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
CFTXAG10
AG
Thought I read Friday against the Rays
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
bearkatag15 said:

AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

Let's examine Joey Loperfido's offensive statistics:

Based on his baseball savant page he does nothing good except run and throw.

But sure let's all lose our minds over shipping off the 25 year old that can't make contact with a baseball

First....we did not give him a fair shot if you are going to judge his rookie year in the majors. Plenty of examples of players that take a while to get going, this isn't uncommon.

Secondly....many people aren't necessarily upset that we traded Loperfido, but that he wasn't used for a much better trade.

The value we gave up in this trade was enormous and we got back very little.

Starting pitchers were going for a kings ransom. This trade and what we gave up does not impact our future as much as most fans want to believe.

The Padres and Orioles absolutely hurt their farm system much more with what they gave up. I was upset initially but got over it after really looking at this from a bigger picture.

I've seen Loperfido compared to Altuve, Tucker and Yordan (not on here) and being anointed the next big superstar in the league (on here). This fanbase is drunk on emotion over this. It's insanity

We literally traded away a left handed Corey Julks

please quote on here who said he's a next league superstar
halfastros81
AG
This is my hope. The Astros see something in Kikuchi's game that makes them believe they can harness his full potential it wouldn't be the first time
Beau Holder
AG
RO519 said:

I suspect if this group of pool noodle bats would stop losing to the Pirates and sliding out of first place and toward .500, the vibes would be better.
Ag_07
AG
Someone on here at some point swore he'll end up on par with Tucker.
bearkatag15
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

bearkatag15 said:

AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

But sure let's all lose our minds over shipping off the 25 year old that can't make contact with a baseball

First....we did not give him a fair shot if you are going to judge his rookie year in the majors. Plenty of examples of players that take a while to get going, this isn't uncommon.

Secondly....many people aren't necessarily upset that we traded Loperfido, but that he wasn't used for a much better trade.

Starting pitchers were going for a kings ransom. This trade and what we gave up does not impact our future as much as most fans want to believe.

The Padres and Orioles absolutely hurt their farm system much more with what they gave up. I was upset initially but got over it after really looking at this from a bigger picture.

I've seen Loperfido compared to Altuve, Tucker and Yordan (not on here) and being anointed the next big superstar in the league (on here). This fanbase is drunk on emotion over this. It's insanity

Some of the highlights from last night and this morning from Baseball is Life…

"Joey will 99% be a superstar."

"I think Joey will be a yearly all-star caliber guy"

"Loperfido is close to the Alvarez mold."

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Beat40
tjack16 said:

BudFox7 said:

Some of you fellas are incorrigible.

We have 4 starting pitchers down, and one of the best hitters in baseball.

You're mad we dealt some prospects for a guy to help bridge to the playoffs where a healthy team will have another shot at a championship.

Tucker, Verlander, Bergman, Framber, Blanco. Some of these guys will not be here in the next couple years.

4 pitchers and a hitter down. You're right. 2 of those pitchers might be back, and the hitter is let's see it before we believe it. This team needed major help…

So the big moves they make are for a 5 starter who likely won't throw in the playoffs, and a reliever who we will trust less than Montero.

I'm not mad at who we sent away… I'm mad at the return. For that price you could have had Flaherty, who would be good enough to be your 3 starter in a playoff series

Flaherty's price went down because the Astros and Yankees pulled out. Only the Dodgers were in and the Tigers accepted something was better than nothing for him.

Price for Flaherty was not the same while the Astros were in discussions for him than what it ended up being.
Ag_07
AG
The takeaway here is that yeah fans overvalue prospects...A LOT.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I still don't consider Tucker a league superstar. So that's on par with the other part of that post, ok. But I want to see who is stupid enough to say the words he will be a league superstar.

Maybe it's one of my many muted folks, I read like 95% of posts and haven't seen that stupidity
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

bearkatag15 said:

AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

Those all came after your post that I quoted.
astros4545
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I still don't consider Tucker a league superstar. So that's on par with the other part of that post, ok. But I want to see who is stupid enough to say the words he will be a league superstar.

Maybe it's one of my many muted folks, I read like 95% of posts and haven't seen that stupidity

You cannot have a league superstar that plays in Houston
Ag_07
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I still don't consider Tucker a league superstar.

Really? That's surprising.

I think the size of his next contract will convince you otherwise.
Bobcat-Ag
Thanks. I'm really curious to see if there is just a pitch mix change, or if he was tipping. I wonder how quick we might see improvements.
MaxPower
bearkatag15 said:

Let's take a look at players that will actually impact the future of this team.
Our pitching depth, plus all the pitchers we drafted, is the only reason I'm not floored by trading Bloss. We have a LOT of quality arms no one is talking about.
Beau Holder
AG
I like superstars whose legs actually heal.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I don't disagree. But what I'm talking about isn't talent based. The MLB doesn't really care about actual pure talent when picking super stars or production.

Current MLB superstars:
Ohtani
Judge
Soto
Cole
Harper
Rodriguez
Trout (finally losing steam because he plays so little)
Tatis (was until he tested positive and got moved to OF)

Potentially on the cusp
Skenes
De La Cruz
Alvarez
Turner

Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

2021-2024 - Tucker Ranks

12th WAR
11th wRC+
26th OBP
8th SLG
13th RBI
17th HR
16th SB
38th FRV
51st PA

He's a top 15 offensive player & top 40 defensive player with all 5 tools. Hes done it on the biggest stages during his mid 20s.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah that's where the difference is.

IDGAF about name recognition. I'm talking about talent and production.
AggiEE
halfastros81 said:

This is my hope. The Astros see something in Kikuchi's game that makes them believe they can harness his full potential it wouldn't be the first time

If Kikuchi can post a sub 4 ERA for the rest of the season and it actually gets us to the playoffs and sets us up better further playoffs this deal can make a lot of sense if they get the best out of his toolset (which is strong).

It's a big gamble expecting that in two months. I also hope that if we have success with him, he signs with the Astros on a fairly cheap deal for 1 or 2 seasons
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
See my post right above. The league doesn't care about Farmers stats when picking Super stars.

Is he a top talent, absolutely. But in 2024 in the MLB that only goes so far. If that mattered you'd never see Rodriguez on a commercial and Trout shouldn't be mentioned until he can finish a season
texasaggie2015
AG
RO519 said:

I've never seen it this bad.
FrioAg 00
AG
Mostly stopped checking it after any losses, and definitely after a 3 game skid.

It's starting for feel like Premium does during the season, especially game days, which I started avoiding. Even when we win it feels like we lost with all the bleeders now.

Really hope it doesn't get that bad here
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'll say this. I never expected a dead serious comparison of Joey Loperfido and Yordan Alvarez
texasaggie2015
AG
Beat40
AggiEE said:

halfastros81 said:

If Kikuchi can post a sub 4 ERA for the rest of the season and it actually gets us to the playoffs and sets us up better further playoffs this deal can make a lot of sense if they get the best out of his toolset (which is strong).

It's a big gamble expecting that in two months. I also hope that if we have success with him, he signs with the Astros on a fairly cheap deal for 1 or 2 seasons

I don't see the Kikuchi trade as a big gamble at all. I don't even see it as a gamble. I don't think the deal even really changes the team's position it was in before the trade was made - which the debate is really was it necessary to make the move.

Who the heck knows who Bloss will be. I personally think Joey's ceiling is at best an average MLB player. As others have said, I'm not sure Wagner makes it to an MLB team, at least not for longer than a cup of tea.
tjack16
AG
I don't think Loperfido will be that great. I see him as a solid player in the future (like a Chris Taylor, Jake Meyers or Kevin Kiermaier) type of outfielder

I don't see us thinking in five years that dang we should have kept him. Not like a JD Martinez or Hader.

I do think we will look back and think we wasted a deadline though to try to win now. I'm hoping this isn't our final year of this window but it's a possibility.
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

See my post right above. The league doesn't care about Farmers stats when picking Super stars.

Is he a top talent, absolutely. But in 2024 in the MLB that only goes so far. If that mattered you'd never see Rodriguez on a commercial and Trout shouldn't be mentioned until he can finish a season

Sure. If that's what we're defining a superstar is. That isn't going to win you ballgames. I think it's clear Tucker is a top 10-15 player over the last few years and is projected to stay in that range.
Booma94
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Heck, I was already making hotel reservations in Cooperstown in 2041 for Loperfido's HOF induction based on this thread and X the last 36 hours.
texasaggie2015
AG
I will say… if this thread is melting down this much about what they paid in the Kikuchi trade I can't even imagine the meltdown if they made more moves in this market.
MaxPower

Tigers wanted even more than we gave up for Kikuchi to get Flaherty. The lesson learned appears to be that you need to have a good offseason because the days of plugging holes easily with mid tier prospects is over.
First Page Last Page
Page 1247 of 1686

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.