***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,872,452 Views | 67425 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by f1ghtintexasaggie
3B Paul 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cc10106 said:

Good thing the Astros do a decent job developing homegrown pitching talent.

Agreed. Keep the Latin Pipeline/drafting/developing going
RC_57
AG
Mathguy64 said:

In 3 weeks we head to Alaska.
Have you been to AK before?

Our (wife &I) first time in May.

Cruised from Vancouver to Seward (Silversea, only 640 passengers). Then couple days and nights in Anchorage and 2 nights 3 days in Denali.

Amazing part of the world

Jealous of y'all.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Well yeah no shlt...Didn't they take 1.5 years completely off due to COVID?

That'll do it for sure.
Beau Holder
AG
I love how it's just a causal mention that the guy stuck at leadoff, 2, or cleanup depending on health and rest days is OPS+ing 99.
Mathguy64
AG
RC_57 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Cruised from Vancouver to Seward (Silversea, only 640 passengers). Then couple days and nights in Anchorage and 2 nights 3 days in Denali.

Jealous of y'all.

Several times. Going to Brooks Lodge in Katmai NP, Wrangell St Elias NP and a couple of other stops.

Been to Denali, Seward and the cruise up from Vancouver
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

I love how it's just a causal mention that the guy stuck at leadoff, 2, or cleanup depending on health and rest days is OPS+ing 99.

wRC+ of 132 since May 9th.

Frok
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

Oof. Makes you want to avoid any long term pitcher contracts. Especially with the jump in pitcher injuries the last couple of years.

Starting pitchers don't log near the innings they used to either.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beau Holder said:

wRC+ of 132 since May 9th.

Don't let facts get in the way of an arguement
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
The Porkchop Express
AG
This off-season I'd like to do a thing where we break down all of the "newer" stats and discuss their validity. Because I can't decide if I'm an idiot (probably) for not knowing or caring about them, or if it's just stat overload and a lot of them are worthless.
Life is better with a beagle
rosco511
AG
These "newer" stats actually have more correlation to judging whether someone is good/successful, which is why they are used.

The older stats were created and used because people thought they were good indicators of how to judge and rate players. This is why I always laugh when the "old school" people say they do not like all this statistical stuff as baseball has always been about using stats to try to differentiate performance. The new stats are just better measures and correlation of performance.
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Well yeah no shlt...Didn't they take 1.5 years completely off due to COVID?

That'll do it for sure.
Also so many guys are staying in college and making either the direct jump to the bigs or AA for a brief stint and then jumping to the show. I bet that factors into it as well.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Apparently Luis Robert didn't even bother throwing home on the game winning sac fly last night. Not doing himself any favors in terms of getting off that team
texasaggie2015
AG
He's going to go to a better organization and shine. The dude is so talented it's unreal
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He's going to go to a better organization and shine. The dude is so talented it's unreal

Maybe so, but he's giving me big Carlos Gomez vibes.
texasaggie2015
AG
He's 10000x more talented than Carlos Gomez ever was
texasaggie2015
AG
Kessinger starting at first base today is.. interesting.

I guess they want a righty but it's so brutal seeing who's played first base for us in recent years.
The Porkchop Express
AG
rosco511 said:

These "newer" stats actually have more correlation to judging whether someone is good/successful, which is why they are used.

The older stats were created and used because people thought they were good indicators of how to judge and rate players. This is why I always laugh when the "old school" people say they do not like all this statistical stuff as baseball has always been about using stats to try to differentiate performance. The new stats are just better measures and correlation of performance.
No offense, but I'm going to have to take a bit deeper dive than that. Some of the newer stats seem really really obscure.
texasaggie2015
AG
They wouldn't use them if they were meaningless. They paint a much better picture of who a player is.

WRC+ is a good example: Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) | Glossary | MLB.com
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Apparently Luis Robert didn't even bother throwing home on the game winning sac fly last night. Not doing himself any favors in terms of getting off that team
If you're a professional in any field, there's no good reason not to give it your all. what if the runner trips and falls breaking from third?

I know the reason is something to do with endurance over the course of a season but I hate when some of our vets do the "I'm out" trot down to first on routine grounders, and why I love watching Jake and Gupy and some of the younger guys flying around the bases.

Ag4life80
AG
RC_57 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Jealous of y'all.
We did that trip in reverse the spring before Covid. We are not campers, but that was a great trip
linkdude
AG
Feels like Joey or Singleton could PH in Kessinger's spot once Kikuchi is out.
texasaggie2015
AG
Grae Kessinger breakout game coming to kick off #GraePride month
The Porkchop Express
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

They wouldn't use them if they were meaningless. They paint a much better picture of who a player is.

I don't think any of them are meaningless, I just think baseball is a game that really is a lot more about feel and momentum more than "we gotta lift this guy before he goes through the lineup a third time because off statistics" when the guy is buzz bombing hitters left and right.

To quote Bob Costas, "This game has a heartbeat. It's not being played on a computer, but by human beings."

I'll leave it there until the off-season. I don't want to start the Greens vs the Blacks over here
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude said:

Feels like Joey or Singleton could PH in Kessinger's spot once Kikuchi is out.

Pretty significant.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Meh. I would rather roll out Spaghetti, Blubaugh, and hopefully Bloss when he's healthy.
MaxPower
He has possibly the best splitter in the league but his fastball is awful and he throws it too much (39%). His cutter has been solid so makes me wonder if you could have him throw it more predominantly than his two seamer and just use the two seamer to work inside on righties like HB does. He used his cutter double the amount he has this year in 2021 and it was his best year.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne
The Porkchop Express said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I don't think any of them are meaningless, I just think baseball is a game that really is a lot more about feel and momentum more than "we gotta lift this guy before he goes through the lineup a third time because off statistics" when the guy is buzz bombing hitters left and right.

To quote Bob Costas, "This game has a heartbeat. It's not being played on a computer, but by human beings."

I'll leave it there until the off-season. I don't want to start the Greens vs the Blacks over here
Good post. I started to write a long response and then deleted it. You're right, better for the offseason.
Harry Dunne
EastCoastAgNc said:

Playing catch every other day and being a motorboatin' SOB every other day and getting paid 118 grand per day to do that.

What a life.
redline248
AG
Sports should be at a point where we are able to blend "feel" and "data" into perfect harmony. When something special is happening, like a guy throwing a no hitter, you have to ride it as long as you can. But you also can't get caught with your pants down if the special moment starts to unravel.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Translation, he ain't going
First Page Last Page
Page 1003 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.