***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,072,508 Views | 56902 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Philip J Fry
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
texasaggie2015 said:

Something can be your decision, but when your boss says he wants things a certain way, you feel pressure to listen.

I have to be careful with this, but let's just say the tone of the people I talk to regularly has shifted completely this year in regard to how things are being run. And not in a positive way.

Until they bite the bullet and move on from Jose Abreu, I'm convinced Crane cares more about being right than he does about winning. There's a lot more problems than just Abreu. But this is a glaring problem that needs to be addressed and says a lot about the dysfunction of the organization as a whole.
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Something can be your decision, but when your boss says he wants things a certain way, you feel pressure to listen.

I have to be careful with this, but let's just say the tone of the people I talk to regularly has shifted completely this year in regard to how things are being run. And not in a positive way.

Until they bite the bullet and move on from Jose Abreu, I'm convinced Crane cares more about being right than he does about winning. There's a lot more problems than just Abreu. But this is a glaring problem that needs to be addressed and says a lot about the dysfunction of the organization as a whole.
There have been a few things I have heard as rumors, other things fact, that rub me the wrong way about how Crane makes decisions. I will say this, some of his most trusted advisors are grade A a**holes who shouldn't have the influence that they do (and I am not talking about former players)
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

There have been a few things I have heard as rumors, other things fact, that rub me the wrong way about how Crane makes decisions. I will say this, some of his most trusted advisors are grade A a**holes who shouldn't have the influence that they do (and I am not talking about former players)

Sounds like his offspring.
texasaggie2015
AG
We've probably heard similar things.

Unless things change in a BIG way and change FAST, I'm not very optimistic about the immediate future of this team.
TRM
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
What a surprise Matthews has been. The goal for him was just AA by the end of the season. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.
The Porkchop Express
Essentially what you're seeing with Abreu is Crane being an obstinate business owner who spent a lot of money on an asset and now has got his head stuck in the mud that he will utilize said resource until it breaks down rather than admit he made a huge mistake and cut bait. Maybe 20 years ago, a newspaper that no longer exists in Katy accidentally bought the wrong printing press and spent like $500k on it. The owner of the paper wouldn't admit he had screwed up and made the whole staff do a totally different style of paper every Sunday to justify buying the thing instead of just trying to sell it to someone else to minimize losses. Much like at the end of Drayton's good to terrible reign, this looks like the work of someone who assumes they can treat baseball like any other business and only their opinion matters. So cheers to the 2015-2023 Houston Astros, the greatest sports dynasty of my lifetime.
Ag_07
AG
Obligatory...Can Brice play 1B?
txags92
AG
TRM said:

Can Denning play 1B?
Serviam
You don't get to be a gigantic businessman without being a megalomaniacal egoist I would bet. I'm sure he's used to his grand strategies paying off in the business world and thinks it's a 1:1 transfer of expertise into any field.
Serviam
texasaggie2015 said:

What a surprise Matthews has been. The goal for him was just AA by the end of the season. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.
.1492 OPS is nigh unbelievable.
txags92
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Essentially what you're seeing with Abreu is Crane being an obstinate business owner who spent a lot of money on an asset and now has got his head stuck in the mud that he will utilize said resource until it breaks down rather than admit he made a huge mistake and cut bait. Maybe 20 years ago, a newspaper that no longer exists in Katy accidentally bought the wrong printing press and spent like $500k on it. The owner of the paper wouldn't admit he had screwed up and made the whole staff do a totally different style of paper every Sunday to justify buying the thing instead of just trying to sell it to someone else to minimize losses. Much like at the end of Drayton's good to terrible reign, this looks like the work of someone who assumes they can treat baseball like any other business and only their opinion matters. So cheers to the 2015-2023 Houston Astros, the greatest sports dynasty of my lifetime.
When a dynasty ends due to the natural ebb and flow of sports and talent acquisition, it is sad. But when a dynasty ends due to the poor decisions and stubbornness of one man who refuses to recognize he is the problem, it is so much sadder.
txags92
AG
Serviam said:

texasaggie2015 said:

.1492 OPS is nigh unbelievable.
Especially from a shortstop.
RED AG 98
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

cc10106
Houston pro sports drama never ends. If the team on Kirby can turn things around after being the laughing stock of American pro sports for years, then so can this organization if it comes to that. It just took fans finally having enough for the Texans front office to make changes.

Crane will learn one way or another even if he has to sell the team. Astros fans won't blindly support this team to the end like Cowboys fans do with Jerry. The expectations have changed, and I don't mean just on the field. Supporting the team is one thing, but the front office better have its **** together.
tjack16
AG
I think it might be tough sledding for the rest of this year and potentially next year. I just see some aging/injury prone pieces taking a lot of money that are holding us back from making good moves with young talent.

Hoping I'm wrong about 2025 being rough but I just don't see us being able to get rid of some of these guys if not at the deadline this year… which doesn't seem to be what Dana wants to do
Ag_07
AG
From what I've read, heard, gathered is that Crane likes winning and he expects to win. He has very high expectations.

Hopefully this bad taste and that desire to win leads him to realize this is not the way and things to change.
texasaggie2015
AG
That's the problem unfortunately. It doesn't matter what Dana Brown wants to do.
tjack16
AG
I think Crane is of the mindset of it's just a bad stretch of baseball and this team will "flip the switch"

But 70 games in this team is who they are right now. And that is a team that will fight to reach .500 all season
Texaggie7nine
7nine
Philip J Fry
AG
Eye opening that Houston fans will support the team through the 17 scandal, but draw the line at a losing season. Crane should have considered that when he let Lunhow go.
cc10106
headshot
f1ghtintexasaggie
Ouch.
Farmer1906
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I don't believe in Karma, but she's not wrong. The dynasty was built by Luhnow and lasted as long as it did because Click did a decent job keeping the ship on course. But Crane and Dusty cut his knees out from under him, then Crane went rogue. Now we are where we are. From elite org to poorly run and dysfunctional.
Farmer1906
AG
I found we need to go get to fix our rotation

Ag_07
AG
I don't blame Crane for firing Luhnow.

That trust was broken and I can understand how that wasn't gonna work.

But that doesn't get him off the hook for his decisions after that.
n_touch
Ag_07 said:

I do. This means that Lunhow knew what was going on. If he fired him because "It happened under your watch, you should have known what was going on" type argument, then someone needs to tell Crane he was the owner and ultimate one responsible for the team and he should kindly let himself go as well since he had not control over his team.
txags92
AG
Ag_07 said:

I still think firing Luhnow was forced on Crane by the league, and Crane got a crappy deal for it. He should have demanded that all of the other teams with proven cheating happening got the same penalty if he was going to be forced to fire the best GM in baseball. Getting forced to kneecap himself while the Yankees and Red Sox got to pretend the Astros were the only ones cheating was a total screw job.
Ag_07
AG
But that's not Jim Crane's job. His job is to sign the checks.

JL's job title was VP of Baseball Operations. There was no way a VP of Baseball Operations was ever going to survive an on-field cheating scandal regardless of whatever other teams were doing the same thing.

It sucked it came to that but it what it is and here we are. Again...That doesn't excuse the other awful decisions he's made after that.
Texaggie7nine
Philip J Fry said:

Eye opening that Houston fans will support the team through the 17 scandal, but draw the line at a losing season. Crane should have considered that when he let Lunhow go.
All the big teams fans lose their **** when things aren't going well and will constantly blame the owners and managers for horrible decisions. They still keep supporting them though they continually say "I'm done with this team".
7nine
Noble07
AG
What was the inflection point where Crane began to think that the team was too analytically driven? That part is still not clear to me. From an article I read, it seemed that Click's personality just didn't mesh with Crane and his people.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Uh huh sure
Ag_07
AG
It sucks but the way I think of it is that if I can watch and follow this team through the dark ages of 100 loss season I can endure an 80 win season.
Mathguy64
AG
Noble07 said:

What was the inflection point where Crane began to think that the team was too analytically driven? That part is still not clear to me. From an article I read, it seemed that Click's personality just didn't mesh with Crane and his people.

I think it started when Lunhow exited and accelerated when Mike Elias and Sig Medjal left. Click not being retained was the final straw.
First Page Last Page
Page 852 of 1626

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.