***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

2,367,024 Views | 44505 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by cc10106
spadilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
What a random homer.

_veeyah_
AG
spadilly said:

What a random homer.

At first glance I thought this was Covid year since the park was empty then I saw the score! Lol
MaxPower
Prosperdick said:

_veeyah_ said:

This team is very difficult to watch when our bats are dead. Even if my some wild way we make the playoffs, I don't think our bullpen arms are gonna hold up by then. Some of these guys are gonna be over worked by then.
Exactly...if by some miracle we squeak into the playoffs we have ZERO chance. Might as well start selling pieces and see if we can't reload for next year although I'm starting to wonder if it will be a rebuild.

If Crane is adamant about the window stays open as long as he owns the team he will need to open up his checkbook for Tucker and probably buy at least another starter. Oh and probably let some other team wildly overpay for Bregman if he somehow continunes to turn it around the rest of the season.
Agreed. This is where the whole story doesn't make sense. If you are willing to throw bags at Montero and Abreu why not just pay Tucker? I get the last 3 or 4 years you may get nothing but you at least get an all star the first 5 or 6. That's better than just throwing bags at guys past their prime and literally getting nothing for the entire contract.

Alternatively, if the problem is that you don't think Tucker is the guy he has been the last 2 years or will change once he gets his bag then trade him while the value is high. Letting him, Framber, and JV walk so you can throw bags at some more Montero's and Abreu's is the most wasteful thing you can do.
tjack16
AG
What's most frustrating right now is that we aren't taking advantage of the teams above us losing. Rangers are 4-6 in their last 10 and might lose again tonight but yet we aren't making up any ground.
W
AG
the Tigers have a game tomorrow...while the Astros are off

Espada should have a bullpen advantage for Friday's game
W
AG
would be nice if Seattle stumbles tonight or tomorrow vs. the White Sox
EastCoastAgNc
AG
scd88
AG
Our best baseball was when Abreu was gone. Since he came back, the entire team has reverted back to meh. Our team is lacking mental toughness. Either that, or we are just complacent.
Timmay!
If you are going to rotate multiple border line players in and out of the lineup everyday why isn't Loperfido on this team?
W
AG
Mariners reach 10 games over at 40-30
txags92
AG
Timmay! said:

If you are going to rotate multiple border line players in and out of the lineup everyday why isn't Loperfido on this team?
They can't find the back of his baseball card.
BadAggie
AG
31-38
5.5 games back of 3rd Wild Card spot
8.5 games back of Division lead

Ciboag96
This team. Sheesh.
houag78
AG
Sadly, the losses don't hurt as much anymore. I am numb to them. I think we are at best a .500 team.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248
AG
Easy solution. Get him off the roster
Ag_07
AG
Then Joe doesn't have say over the lineup and he ain't it.

This team can't be taken seriously as long as they trot Abreu out there on the reg.
redline248
AG
Adding to the conversation though...Joe's hands are tied by whom? Dana? Laughable.

I guess, in a way, Joe is in a no win situation, here. Play Abreu and hurt the team's chances of winning, which in turn hurts Joe's chances of keeping his job. Bench Abreu against the direction of your bosses and risk losing your job. Either way ends up with him probably fired and going back to assistant coach somewhere else.
TRM
AG
They just need to put Abreu on the IL for anal fissures - problem solved.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

If that is true then we are not a serious franchise anymore. Why support this team any longer when the goal is to not hurt guys feelings instead of to win ball games? Abreu hurts this team every time he starts a game by any objective measure.

Continuing to run our worst hitter out there, and then to run out our 2nd worst hitter as DH in the cleanup spot, while leaving our statistically third best hitter in AAA, and our 4th best hitter on the bench is ridiculous. Letting umps continue to absolutely screw us on ball/strike calls (proven by ump scorecard analysis) without even a peep out of the dugout or any comment whatsoever to the league during post game pressers sends a message to the players.

We don't do the things necessary to put them in a position to succeed, so why should they care if we win or lose? At this point, if I am Tucker, there is no way I am re-signing to be part of this **** show long term. Why not go to the Yankees where he can get the best ump calls in the game in his favor instead of the worst? Why not go somewhere that they play their best players every night? What reason is there for him to want to stay in Houston?
f1ghtintexasaggie
Farmer1906 said:

Can someone, anyone, answer WHY this would be the case? We pay him. If he is not playing up to the contract, why the **** could we not cut him? Or, at the very least, KEEP HIM ON THE BENCH? Who is forcing Joe's hand? Dana? Crane? MLBPA?
Beau Bevers
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This really is a Moneyball/Hatteberg/Pena issue. Except Pena wasn't washed up and was eventually tradable. Good grief.
txags92
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Farmer1906 said:

Can someone, anyone, answer WHY this would be the case? We pay him. If he is not playing up to the contract, why the **** could we not cut him? Or, at the very least, KEEP HIM ON THE BENCH? Who is forcing Joe's hand? Dana? Crane? MLBPA?
Exactly. If Crane is demanding that he stay on the roster, fine. Give him the Loperfido/Dubon spot at the far end of the dugout and let him rot there until he gets tired of coming to the ballpark just to sit through games. If we are going to give up on the season, let's do it with a bunch of young guys getting valuable experience playing new positions we hope they can play well at in the future, instead of giving mercy at bats to washed up old multi-millionaires stealing money from the gullible owner.
redline248
AG
I need a magic device that let's me know if Yuli Gurriel would have preformed worse than Jose Abreu in 2024.

...and I was ready to say goodbye to him in '22
bearkatag15
AG
redline248 said:

I need a magic device that let's me know if Yuli Gurriel would have preformed worse than Jose Abreu in 2024.

They would probably be about the same
Marvin
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ketch's sources were adamant that Joe makes all lineup decisions. Either the intel was wrong or Joe really is an idiot. Both answers are scary.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
MaxPower
This is how Crane likes things. Nebulous such that everyone hides from complete accountability but anyone can be a fall guy.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ketch's sources were adamant that Joe makes all lineup decisions. Either the intel was wrong or Joe really is an idiot. Both answers are scary.
Maybe it is Joe's decision. He can A) play him, put the team in a position lose, and get Crane mad at him for losing or B) not play him, be a man short on the roster, and piss off Crane for not playing his 60 M dollar baby.

Joe, enjoy your turd sandwich or giant ******.
TRM
AG
redline248 said:

Yuli was up to a 40 game on base streak in AAA last I looked.
Booma94
AG
bearkatag15 said:

redline248 said:

Maybe at the plate, but not even close to the same on defense.
texasaggie2015
AG
Something can be your decision, but when your boss says he wants things a certain way, you feel pressure to listen.

I have to be careful with this, but let's just say the tone of the people I talk to regularly has shifted completely this year in regard to how things are being run. And not in a positive way.

Until they bite the bullet and move on from Jose Abreu, I'm convinced Crane cares more about being right than he does about winning. There's a lot more problems than just Abreu. But this is a glaring problem that needs to be addressed and says a lot about the dysfunction of the organization as a whole.
W
AG
bearkatag15 said:

redline248 said:

but they would be very different players on the 1st and the 15th

Yuli would be making around $6 MM on a 1-year deal
W
AG
that's the killer with Abreu

he's hurting the franchise both on the field and off the field (payroll)
Booma94
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Something can be your decision, but when your boss says he wants things a certain way, you feel pressure to listen.

I have to be careful with this, but let's just say the tone of the people I talk to regularly has shifted completely this year in regard to how things are being run. And not in a positive way.

Until they bite the bullet and move on from Jose Abreu, I'm convinced Crane cares more about being right than he does about winning. There's a lot more problems than just Abreu. But this is a glaring problem that needs to be addressed and says a lot about the dysfunction of the organization as a whole.
So, basically, the Astros are no longer the model front office that is the envy of the league? They're basically the Dallas Cowboys of MLB with a bullheaded owner that thinks he's the smartest guy in the room because he writes the checks?
texasaggie2015
AG
They haven't been for a couple years now. The dysfunction has started to leak out and people are aware across the league. Things need to change fast.
First Page Last Page
Page 851 of 1272

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.