***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,212,263 Views | 59081 Replies | Last: 18 sec ago by Mathguy64
The Beef01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two things from this page that have stood out to me:

1.) " Everyone that Crane hires to make decisions is a grade-A *******."

This is a true statement as I have a family member that was brought into the organization and worked with the scouting department as Luhnow came in and Crane was purging the Mclane from the organization. Jeff Luhnow is the textbook definition of a grade-A *******....but he got things done and done well, so he was able to get away with it. In other words, being considered a nice guy isn't a prerequisite for the job as Luhnow was not well liked inside the building and had a real weird fascination with Ivy Leaguers and putting off some really good people who committed the crime of not going to college in the NE.

**To clarify, this family member came in with Luhnow....wasn't a holdover or someone who got thrown out with the Ed Wade crowd**

2.) "Crane is getting karma for firing Luhnow"

That decision was thrust upon him by the league and Luhnow's wife knows it too...that's a very petty thing to put out there. If you argue that Crane just decided to go rogue and fire him, then you'd also have to explain why Luhnow isn't working in baseball any longer. If Crane had just decided to go fire Luhnow and blame him for the 2017 scandal, there isn't another organization out there that wouldn't have immediately scooped him up unless there was a hidden directive from the league.
RED AG 98
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Uh huh sure
This is embarrassing. He can't even start on his own team with a totally broken, worst in the league, all-time bad former MVP in front of him.
The Beef01
AG
RED AG 98 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Uh huh sure
This is embarrassing. He can't even start on his own team with a totally broken, worst in the league, all-time bad former MVP in front of him.
Saw that come through a few minutes ago and had a similar thought....but more of a "dude is hitting like .213....surely you didn't say this with a straight face" thought.
htxag09
AG
My FIL works with crane fairly closely. Not with the Astros, but for the golf tournament. So not a full time job, but he is high enough that he's not a volunteer, he gets paid, and he meets with crane somewhat regularly.

He's really only said good things about him.
cc10106
Texaggie7nine said:

Philip J Fry said:

Eye opening that Houston fans will support the team through the 17 scandal, but draw the line at a losing season. Crane should have considered that when he let Lunhow go.
All the big teams fans lose their **** when things aren't going well and will constantly blame the owners and managers for horrible decisions. They still keep supporting them though they continually say "I'm done with this team".
Sometimes the owner and front office/"advisors" deserve more criticism than they're getting especially when fans and media keep piling on the players, managers, staff, etc. constantly which has been the case from my perspective this year.

If could be worse; we could have an owner that doesn't care about winning. Drayton could still be owner, but there's enough smoke to be concerned about decisions being made that can affect this team into 2025 and beyond. I'll gladly support this team knowing they're a .500 club this season which they've been for 4 weeks since sweeping Oakland as the schedule has eased up. Playing Loperfido most days probably won't change that either despite the spark he's provided. But that doesn't mean the front office gets a free pass either while the finger gets pointed elsewhere constantly.
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Uh huh sure

That is some cherry picking of stats if I've ever seen it
Faustus
Bregman has his OPS over .700, and Altuve's is under .800. I didn't think we'd see their two path's crossing after the starts they both had.
redline248
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Noble07 said:

What was the inflection point where Crane began to think that the team was too analytically driven? That part is still not clear to me. From an article I read, it seemed that Click's personality just didn't mesh with Crane and his people.

I think it started when Lunhow exited and accelerated when Mike Elias and Sig Medjal left. Click not being retained was the final straw.
I see what you did there
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

They haven't been for a couple years now. The dysfunction has started to leak out and people are aware across the league. Things need to change fast.
The situation with James Click was the canary in the coal mine for me.
FrioAg 00
AG
Faustus said:

Bregman has his OPS over .700, and Altuve's is under .800. I didn't think we'd see their two path's crossing after the starts they both had.

Altuve, Breg, Hader, Meyers, Diaz, they've all fluctuated in the year as normal IMO.

Tucker has been pretty consistently good before the injury. But I can't forget how bad he sucked in the post season last year when people throw around the huge contract numbers.

And of course, we damn well all know the two players who've been bad start through now this year.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ag_07 said:

It sucks but the way I think of it is that if I can watch and follow this team through the dark ages of 100 loss season I can endure an 80 win season.
We had two micro-preemie babies in 2012, I was able to largely pay little attention to the 2011-2013 **** show Astros.

The Texans better not suck this fall, because I know I cant rely on the Aggies to make m feel better in football.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Farmer1906 said:

Can someone, anyone, answer WHY this would be the case? We pay him. If he is not playing up to the contract, why the **** could we not cut him? Or, at the very least, KEEP HIM ON THE BENCH? Who is forcing Joe's hand? Dana? Crane? MLBPA?

Ketch's sources were adamant that Joe makes all lineup decisions. Either the intel was wrong or Joe really is an idiot. Both answers are scary.
Maybe it is Joe's decision. He can A) play him, put the team in a position lose, and get Crane mad at him for losing or B) not play him, be a man short on the roster, and piss off Crane for not playing his 60 M dollar baby.

Joe, enjoy your turd sandwich or giant ******.
EXACTLY. Lots of guys talk tough about how they would stand up to management and not play Abreu or whatever else. That's all bull*****

There are only 30 MLB head manager positions in the entire world. History tells us Joe only gets one shot to be a manager. Those people talking tough would do the exact same things Joe is doing right now if they were in his position.

Joe hasn't made all the right decisions, so let's not get that twisted, but he's been screwed from before the season even started. Dana and Crane have royally screwed him by going into this season boom or bust. Yordan, Pressly, Hader, and Bregman royally screwed him to start the season.

They've somewhat turned around, but I think Joe is screwed this season. He's going to be the scapegoat no matter what.
The Porkchop Express
AG
This Date in Astro History Always reminds us that things could be a lot worse.

It's the 25th anniversary of the day Larry Dierker had his gran mal seizure and collapsed in the dugout (6/13/1999). Remarkably he only missed 27 games.

On 6/13/2012, Matt Cain of Frisco pitched a 10-0 perfect game against the Astros, whose record fell to 29-81 as a a result.
Farmer1906
AG

Ketch - looks like he's right again…
Farmer1906
AG

Not us.
texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ketch looks like he's right again…
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

That deadline can't be reached soon enough
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Not us.
We have too many outfielders and not near enough prospects to pull off the deal. If he starts playing first base, let me know and I'll be on board.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

Not us.
We have too many outfielders and not near enough prospects to pull off the deal. If he starts playing first base, let me know and I'll be on board.

You do realize we can trade our too many outfielders if needed.
spadilly
S

Off days…

texasaggie2015
AG
The only positions I've heard we're actively calling about are first base, bullpen and starting rotation. In no order.

Doesn't mean we aren't looking elsewhere though.

Most of those calls are to NL East teams which includes the Mets (Alonso) which I mentioned yesterday among others that I'm not quite ready to put out there yet. One is in our division.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

Not us.

You do realize we can trade our too many outfielders if needed.
We haven't shown that ability so far despite the overabundance of them and the glaring holes elsewhere in the lineup.
Boiling Denim
The Beef01 said:

Two things from this page that have stood out to me:

2.) "Crane is getting karma for firing Luhnow"

That decision was thrust upon him by the league and Luhnow's wife knows it too...that's a very petty thing to put out there. If you argue that Crane just decided to go rogue and fire him, then you'd also have to explain why Luhnow isn't working in baseball any longer. If Crane had just decided to go fire Luhnow and blame him for the 2017 scandal, there isn't another organization out there that wouldn't have immediately scooped him up unless there was a hidden directive from the league.

I don't think this is true at all. The MLB doled out their punishments which were 1 year suspensions.

You underestimate a few things about Lunhow's time here. One was the toxic environment he cultivated before getting fired that started to rear its head. His lack of accountability and the fact he probably straight up lied to Crane. If anyone is blacklisting Lunhow from the mlb it's probably Crane.

Two how willingly other teams are to tank and destroy their fanbase at a chance for success that is even less likely now that Lunhows support staff is dispersed throughout the league.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The only positions I've heard we're actively calling about are first base, bullpen and starting rotation. In no order.

Most of those calls are to NL East teams which includes the Mets (Alonso) which I mentioned yesterday among others that I'm not quite ready to put out there yet. One is in our division.
Matt Moore?
Luis Garcia?
JD Davis?
Austin Adams?
Ag_07
AG
I was about to guess Seth Brown but man he's only just slightly better than Abreu.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Matt Moore?
Luis Garcia?
JD Davis?
Austin Adams?
Crane only chases big names, and since he's running things, it's got to be Anthony Rendon. Local guy too.
texasaggie2015
AG
Probably just needs a change of scenery
W
AG
cc10106 said:

Sometimes the owner and front office/"advisors" deserve more criticism than they're getting especially when fans and media keep piling on the players, managers, staff, etc. constantly which has been the case from my perspective this year.

If could be worse; we could have an owner that doesn't care about winning. Drayton could still be owner, but there's enough smoke to be concerned about decisions being made that can affect this team into 2025 and beyond. I'll gladly support this team knowing they're a .500 club this season which they've been for 4 weeks since sweeping Oakland as the schedule has eased up. Playing Loperfido most days probably won't change that either despite the spark he's provided. But that doesn't mean the front office gets a free pass either while the finger gets pointed elsewhere constantly.
along those lines...and in slight defense of Crane...

it might be Bagwell, Reggie, and the cabal who have convinced him to hold onto Abreu. Crane is taking their advice on what to do.

and of course we saw this with Easterby and the Texans ownership. An advisor can have a lot of power or influence over the owner. To the point where the owner makes really bad decisions
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The time table is the end of his contract.
Chef Elko
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Something can be your decision, but when your boss says he wants things a certain way, you feel pressure to listen.

I have to be careful with this, but let's just say the tone of the people I talk to regularly has shifted completely this year in regard to how things are being run. And not in a positive way.

Until they bite the bullet and move on from Jose Abreu, I'm convinced Crane cares more about being right than he does about winning. There's a lot more problems than just Abreu. But this is a glaring problem that needs to be addressed and says a lot about the dysfunction of the organization as a whole.
It sure seems like it. However, he's currently wrong AND losing.

Send him back to Chicago for Maldonado?
Project Gemini
AG
Didnt Ketch say it was 40ABs? Looks like we are at 42ABs so Ketch was clearly

Edit: no emoji, this wasnt serious Ketch, dont go emo
texasaggie2015
AG
Lol yeah I was told "probably about 40 ABs or so" so we'll see.

I was halfway expecting something to happen today since the timing with an off day would make sense. But clearly it would make too much sense.
agproducer
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Lol yeah I was told "probably about 40 ABs or so" so we'll see.

I was halfway expecting something to happen today since the timing with an off day would make sense. But clearly it would make too much sense.
There's still time! It's a long trip back from San Francisco!
BadAggie
AG
Pete Alonso?

Hey Mets, we have some more minor leaguers and whichever starter on the shelf recovering from a Tommy John. Buy now.
BadAggie
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Jim Crane made Luhnow and Hinch the scapegoats.

He lucked out in finding Click, then stepped in it.

First Page Last Page
Page 853 of 1689

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.