***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,085,476 Views | 57049 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by The Porkchop Express
Heineken-Ashi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trading Bregman 2 years ago would have gotten a massive haul. Now all we get is ****ty Bregman.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Booma94
AG
Mr.Bond said:

The Yankees put a patch on...... it'll be OK.
And they haven't won a WS since they did...
MaxPower

FWIW
tjack16
AG
Booma94 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Only 1 team has so that argument doesn't hold much weight
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So in 2022….when we win the World Series…we should have traded him so we had a huge return because we aren't plying well in 2024

Never mind we were 1 game away from a WS last year as well

Gotcha, noted. List updated
MaxPower
Yeah I do not regret keeping him so it kind of is what it is right now.
tjack16
AG
If we had traded Bregman after 2022 there would have been rioting in Houston. Let's not pretend any of us would have been on board with that
Booma94
AG
tjack16 said:

Booma94 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Only 1 team has so that argument doesn't hold much weight
No team with uniform sponsor patches has ever won the World Series. That is a fact.

MaxPower
But someone will this year. I guarantee it
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AustinCountyAg
time for Dana to go get Bauer now. Be bold and make a move to give this team some ******* energy. We are missing that us against the world mentality. We need to be hated.
n_touch
AustinCountyAg said:

time for Dana to go get Bauer now. Be bold and make a move to give this team some ******* energy. We are missing that us against the world mentality. We need to be hated.
Although I like the idea of having another pitcher and I do believe Bauer should not be blacklisted, the last thing this team needs is another distraction. If they need a reason to be hated the fans are going to give them enough of a reason shortly.
Prosperdick
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Don't worry, we're still hated plenty. We're about to get reinforcements in pitching so why add a guy that could very likely sink us deeper and make us appear even more desperate.
houag78
AG
Among all of the issues we're dealing with, the one that really concerns me is Yordan. He has gone from one of the most feared hitters in the league to a sub-.200 hitter over the last 3 weeks. If he was in typical YA form, we'd be a lot closer to .500 than we are.
I can't help but think there's an injury we're about to hear about (hands, oblique, etc.). He's too good to be batting at this level.
texasaggie2015
AG
If you want to make the clubhouse happy and energized, signing Bauer is certainly not the way to go about it.

There's a reason you haven't heard guys across the league speak up wanting him to make a return.
iBrad
AG
We were in position to sweep Cleveland and couldn't get a hit to fall with RISP three innings in a row on very well struck balls. We were in position to take 2 of 3 from Seattle except the backend of the bullpen continued its struggle.

We don't have a team issue right. We have a few guys struggling and still aren't full strength in the rotation, yet we are giving ourselves chances to win more often than not right now.

As long as the team overall continues to be competitive, I think we're fine. Our season will ultimately be defined by whether or not a few guys turn it around.
Boiling Denim
We're quickly approaching a situation where being "fine" won't cut it.

To stack up the amount of wins we'll need to make the playoffs we'll have to be "great" soon
htxag09
AG
If Seattle didn't **** the bed, we could have just as easily been swept by them.....
iBrad
AG
So we get no credit for our wins?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
iBrad said:

The issue is what it says about the bigger picture and long term trajectory of this team. This homestand was the equivalent of a participation trophy. To have any chance of contention, we need consistent gold or silver medals. We can't rely on the other team to just have us wins on a silver platter.
Mathguy64
AG
iBrad said:

Win. Singular. Uno. Juan. Ein. The first whole number. The first ordinal number. The measure of a sample space.
htxag09
AG
iBrad said:

Did I say that?

Yes, we do get credit for our wins, all 12 of 'em. And, just like we do get credit for them (even if they aren't the prettiest), we don't get credit for losses we could have won or far hard hit balls that are right at people.

You said we could have easily taken 2 of 3 from Seattle. Well, as a counter, we could have just as easily lost all 3. Not like we overpowered them on Friday. We had the same old **** of leaving people in scoring position, we just got lucky with some errors, both actual and mental. Just like we had the same old **** of the bullpen trying to throw it away, but Seattle took care of that for us with their baserunning.
texasaggie2015
AG
Bowden: Way too early MLB trades I'd like to see happen, plus Luis Arraez trade takeaways - The Athletic

Bowden lists Vlad Guerrero Jr for Joey Loperfido and Kennedy Corona as a trade he would like to see.

If we were hovering around .500, I would consider that. But not right now with where we stand currently. There's a realistic chance we're sellers at the deadline.
Farmer1906
AG
That is quite the rental cost for a guy with a .774 OPS in the last 836 plate appearances (last 2 seasons). Not to mention what it does to our payroll.

tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Bowden: Way too early MLB trades I'd like to see happen, plus Luis Arraez trade takeaways - The Athletic

Bowden lists Vlad Guerrero Jr for Joey Loperfido and Kennedy Corona as a trade he would like to see.

If we were hovering around .500, I would strongly consider that. But not right now with where we stand currently. There's a realistic chance we're sellers at the deadline.

If we were one piece away from winning the title this year I'd say yes. But we've got holes everywhere so I'd say no
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah, he may very well benefit from a change of scenery. Who knows. It doesn't make sense right now IMO.
Farmer1906
AG
With Abreau in Florida, the 1B production is fine. Our biggest holes are relief pitching & third base. I doubt we do anything at 3B. I wouldn't hate to find a cheap controllable arm that we believe in.
Farmer1906
AG
Looking around the league 3B is kind of weird.

Giants probably aren't happy with how Chappy has started.

Guards are playing well but their leader is not. Jose Ramirez is struggling too.

Candelario might be one of those contract year wonders

I think any shot at Hayes breaking out may be over.

Our boy, Breggy sits at the bottom of the list.
Chef Elko
AG
Anyone know why Bregman chooses to choke up instead of just changing bats?
n_touch
Chef Elko said:

Anyone know why Bregman chooses to choke up instead of just changing bats?
Im not sure the bat is the reason he is choking

Heineken-Ashi
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

So in 2022….when we win the World Series…we should have traded him so we had a huge return because we aren't plying well in 2024

Never mind we were 1 game away from a WS last year as well

Gotcha, noted. List updated
After the season. His 2022 was above average for the most part, and he had a productive playoffs, but his salary was about to more than double and he was showing no signs of being the guy from 2018 and 2019. Proceeded to start slow, yet again, in 2023, and had a pretty similar campaign. Now we are seeing the regression.

No, nobody was going to trade him them. But looking back, that would have been the time. Somebody would have given up the farm, and it's arguable that we would have been worse off on offense, as he did A LOT of damage last year in games that were already decided. He was pretty average situationaly and nearly led the league in GIDP. What we would have lose was his defense, though his fielding % was league average for 3B (we just had no replacement).

Now we will get a shell of what he would have been worth then, or we will agree to a short term deal of some sort and be saddled with his declining metrics and awful situational hitting for a longer period of time.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
W
AG
houag78 said:

Among all of the issues we're dealing with, the one that really concerns me is Yordan. He has gone from one of the most feared hitters in the league to a sub-.200 hitter over the last 3 weeks. If he was in typical YA form, we'd be a lot closer to .500 than we are.
I can't help but think there's an injury we're about to hear about (hands, oblique, etc.). He's too good to be batting at this level.
yes, something seems amiss

the upcoming Yankees series will be a good test for Yordan

he was 2 for 17 against them with 2 walks on opening weekend

let's see what adjustments are made
The Porkchop Express
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

If you want to make the clubhouse happy and energized, signing Bauer is certainly not the way to go about it.

There's a reason you haven't heard guys across the league speak up wanting him to make a return.
How about if they sign Bauer and Collin Kaepnerick?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
MaxPower
As you noted we had no viable replacement. This is what happens when your farm system is garbage. You have no choice but to pay veterans, most of whom are unlikely to match production with pay. It's much the same with Tucker. You basically have to pay him. I'm not worried about an immediate downward trend like Bregman but you will almost certainly regret the last half of that deal. You just have to hope by then your farm is worth a crap and you can build around him as he declines.
texasaggie2015
AG
Treadwell had a good start yesterday. I'm fascinated with how he develops over the next couple years:

Gameday: Woodpeckers 5, Shorebirds 2 Final Score (05/05/2024) (milb.com)

Jake Bloss threw an absolute gem in his first start at AA. His progression has been a pleasant surprise:

Gameday: RoughRiders 5, Hooks 3 Final Score (05/05/2024) (milb.com)

Not much else to take way from the weekend down in the farm. Blubaugh got a little roughed up but that's not to be unexpected as he adjusts to AAA.
First Page Last Page
Page 499 of 1631

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.