***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

936,102 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
SpaceCityAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That would be dirt cheap for Maton over 3 years, so absolutely that deal.
Beat40
Terminus Est said:

Can't blame Neris, he's had a nice little career money wise, but he can still double the $29,000,000 or so he's earned to date in the next few seasons.

If Crane is still feeling spicy; I wouldn't be opposed to a three year contract for 10,000,000 per season if there were vesting criteria for the 3rd.

Neris/Abreu/Pressly/Hader would be mind numbingly awesome.
If he doesn't regress, it's great. If he regresses, it's a Montero deal.
texasaggie2015
AG
Hard pass on Neris. He's approaching 35 and walked the tightrope this past year. I feel like he was more lucky than good a lot of times.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Montero bounce back. He seemed to be figuring it out late in the year last season. It's not uncommon at all for relievers to randomly have bad years.

The organization is very high on Dylan Coleman. He was filthy before he got hurt- if he's 100%, they think he can revert back to who he was before the injury. That trade has potential to be an absolute steal.
bearkatag15
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

It's not uncommon at all for relievers to randomly have bad years.

Except 2022 was the anomaly for Montero, not last year.

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
TarponChaser
AggieJ2002 said:

The Padres' Director of Analytics gave a talk to my work today. Most of us stat nerds are already aware of a lot of what they are doing. Maybe old news to some, but the only thing I hadn't seen before was this pitching machine that is basically an AI pitching robot. From what I understand a lot of teams are still in the process of implementing and not many used last year. This could be a game changer, paired with Rhapsodo, to allow batters to take as many simulated ABs against pitchers as they want before facing them live in a game. Freaking insane ...

https://vimeo.com/533935376

That's badass. I wonder what the pricetag on that is. It's gotta be north of $100K, right? I wouldn't be shocked if it were $500K.
Terminus Est
Do they take klarna?
AggieJ2002
AG
Looked it up online and they almost refuse to say. I did see somewhere about 5 figure per month lease.
Ag_07
AG
So that's why the Padres are broke.
texasaggie2015
AG
That's fair. I'm just optimistic (maybe just hopeful) that we made a tweak somewhere and 2022 is the new norm. Haha
SpaceCityAg05
AG
A 3 year deal of 8M+/yr is a hard pass for Neris due to age and regression.

A short deal would be an interesting roll of the dice, but you will absolutely be burned by a 3 year deal.

I do wish we had one more proven commodity middle reliever/set-up man (like the hypothetical Maton proposal above), but we need to avoid any more large contracts for the bullpen.
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

It's not uncommon at all for relievers to randomly have bad years.

Except 2022 was the anomaly for Montero, not last year.

To 2015's point, here is his 1st/2nd half splits:

Split / BA / OBP / SLG / OPS / BAbip / sOPS+
1st Half / 0.303 / 0.371 / 0.553 / 0.923 / 0.359 / 151
2nd Half / 0.248 / 0.336 / 0.381 / 0.716 / 0.357 / 96

Note the drop in SLG from 0.553 to 0.381 while his BAbip basically stayed the same. He increased his SO/W from 2.6 to 2.86 in the second half. His second half numbers still aren't nearly as good as his 2022 numbers, but he trended the right direction.

He clearly figured something out in the second half of the season.

We shouldn't give up on him. If he starts the 2024 season the way he ended the 2023 season, I'll have a lot of hope for him.
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

That's fair. I'm just optimistic (maybe just hopeful) that we made a tweak somewhere and 2022 is the new norm. Haha
I'm not sure 2022 is his norm, but I think he did figure something out in the 2nd half for sure. I think that's probably closer to what he could be on a consistent basis.
texasaggie2015
AG
If Montero can just be average that would help tremendously. Just don't be a liability and we're okay.
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

If Montero can just be average that would help tremendously. Just don't be a liability and we're okay.

That's how I feel too. Just don't be a 4.50+ ERA guy.

As long as Abreu, Pressly and Hader pitch to their normal level our bullpen will be elite. We just need the other guys to not implode
Farmer1906
AG
Here is how I see the bullpen.

Pressly & Abreu will be able to match what they did in 2023 but in the 7th and 8th instead of the 8th and 9th.

Hader replaces Neris's production, but just in the 9th instead of the 7th. I think that is about a push for the regular season due to just how great Neris was last year.

Here are the top contributors after the big 3:
Montero - 67.1 IP
Maton - 66.0 IP
Stanek - 50.2 IP
Martinez - 43.0 IP
Graveman - 22.1 IP
Urquidy - 16.1 IP
Mushinski - 14.2 IP
Blanco - 14.0 IP
Kuhnel - 9.2 IP
Bielak - 9.1 IP
Gage - 6.2 IP
Sousa - 6.1 IP

7 of those 12 are back. I think it's safe to say every single one of the returning guys can ve expected to match what they did in 2023 (not a huge ask)

The 5 guys needing to be replaced account for 155.1 IP, 3.36 ERA, 4.09 SIERA, & 0.5 WAR.

We just need a couple of the options below to hit:
  • Sousa, Mushinski, and/or Martinez to take a step forward
  • Urquidy, Blanco, Bielak, and/or Garcia (2nd half) take on a regular long relief role
  • The newcomers Coleman, Cronin, & Ortega work out
  • Potential call-ups of Whitley, Gordon, Arrighetti, Kouba, or Blubaugh
SpaceCityAg05
AG
With Hader/Pressly/Abreu, our backend trio is elite.

We can expect Coleman to be in the mix, plus Montero.

Hader essentially replaces Neris in the backend trio from last year (obvious upgrade but from a numbers standpoint)

I feel like we need one more Maton/Stanek replacement (not elite but reliable) to truly like our bullpen. It may be easier to get that through trade than through FA (like Coleman).

If we sign another OF, we might be able to turn back to trading Meyers for an arm.
bearkatag15
AG
Watch Sousa become the bullpen early innings mvp this year
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
tjack16
AG

Ichiro and CC first ballot.

Pedroia maybe eventually. Granderson and Hernandez also fringe
Mathguy64
AG
WAR 47.2
BA .249
OPS .803
OPS+ 113
344 HR
937 RBI
1800 hits

Nope

WAR 51.9
BA .298
OPS .805
OPS+ 113
140 HR
725 RBI
1805 hits

Nope

WAR 62.5
251 - 161
Played for 19 years so a lot of counting stats to pad WAR
Whip 1.26
ERA 3.74
FIP 3.78
Yankee so guaranteed 97% first ballot

WAR 59.7
169 wins
ERA 3.42
FIP 3.52

Not getting in. Hall of good. He's got almost the same stat line as Roy O and that went nowhere.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Not the "official" one but Lookie at #1 and #3.

Edit: looks like shredder has Chas at 5. Haven't gotten to Yordan but he's #1 and he's not even close.
agproducer
AG
Hahahahaha.
Ag_07
AG
Blum is the best
Farmer1906
AG
Imagine being top 5 at your position and not starting everyday, especially in the postseason.
Big Bucks
AG
Thank you Dusty.
All I do is Nguyen
I know Dusty is gone, but I am curious as to how long it will take for us to stop blaming him or mentioning him on a regular basis.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Bert315
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I know Dusty is gone, but I am curious as to how long it will take for us to stop blaming him or mentioning him on a regular basis.

It's gonna be a bit…
Mathguy64
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

PTDS
Prosperdick
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I said the same thing a few days ago. I wish everyone could just put him in the rearview mirror and look forward. Also, this is coming from a guy who HAMMERED Donkey all the time. I'm done with it as it serves absolutely no purpose.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Can we agree that we just make a meme of him waving that says "Thanks Dusty" and it's posted when Diaz and Chaz are successful?
All I do is Nguyen
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Can we agree that we just make a meme of him waving that says "Thanks Dusty" and it's posted when Diaz and Chaz are successful?
I am actually fully on board anytime Chaz or Yainer do something great that we rub it in Dusty's face, at least this season. After this season it's time to let it go
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Farmer1906
AG
What is your plan if they have a down year ?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Exactly. When Yanier hits .220 for the first half of the season, it will be Dusty's fault for not playing him more. We do love our scapegoats, don't we?
AustinCountyAg
The Porkchop Express said:

Farmer1906 said:

Exactly. When Yanier hits .220 for the first half of the season, it will be Dusty's fault for not playing him more. We do love our scapegoats, don't we?
tjack16
AG
I think it's entirely possible that Diaz has a down year. He needs to put a full season of good together before I get on board the hype train.

He'll be better than Maldy obviously but I'm not ready to anoint him as the next Realmuto yet

I'm hoping he hits about .250 with 20-25 HR
First Page Last Page
Page 197 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.