City Connect Uniforms

13,439 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 94chem
aggiedadofpanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There has been a conversation going on in the Rangers thread about the City Connect unis. I'm actually enjoying seeing what the different cities are rolling out, even though some of them are visually distracting. I think I appreciate it more after reading Evan Grant's piece in the DMN today about how the concept was created and executed.

I actually like the Rangers City Connect jerseys, not wild about the rope stripe on the pants, not crazy about the hat (logo is too big), but clearly some significant thought went into each element. Also, according to their media communication the pants and hat are supposed to be a dark navy blue, but they look black to me. The gothic look doesn't do much for me one way or the other. I think the Rangers were the 16th team to release these. Looking forward to the rest.

AustinAg2K
Whoever designed that tried way too hard.
Ag_07
AG
I don't like these at all

I don't like the look and I don't like that none of it has anything to do with the city. It's juts an ode to pre MLB minor league teams. Hell two of the main features on these (the date and the quote) you can't even see.

How did they not do any tie to the actual Texas Rangers?
Legal Custodian
AG
It could have been a lot worse, that's I guess all that I have to say about them.

That Panther/Eagle logo is pretty good though.
Legal Custodian
AG
Brewers
Legal Custodian
AG
Angels
Legal Custodian
AG
Padres and Giants are the worst:
Farmer1906
AG
The font ruins the Brewers one for me.

Love the Angels, Nats, & Astros.

Hate the White Sox, Giants, Dodgers, Fish, & Rangers.

Mixed opinions on the rest. Like the Braves look good, but they went super safe and it looks like a lesser version of their throwbacks.
Ag_07
AG
I like San Diego's but not for them.

That should've been Miami
AgBQ-00
AG
I like what they are going for with the Rangers Uni. They are tying in all the Metro's area baseball history into one uniform.
Dallas Eagles
Ft Worth Panthers/Cats
DFW Spurs
Tying in Texas history and Texas baseball history. I like the idea. Won't know if I like the execution until I see them on the field in play. If they are truly a navy blue vs black I think they will look great. So judgement withheld at the moment.
aggiedadofpanda
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

I like what they are going for with the Rangers Uni. They are tying in all the Metro's area baseball history into one uniform.
Dallas Eagles
Ft Worth Panters/Cats
DFW Spurs
Tying in Texas history and Texas baseball history. I like the idea. Won't know if I like the execution until I see them on the field in play. If they are truly a navy blue vs black I think they will look great. So judgement withheld at the moment.
I agree. I think the tie in to TX Baseball history is cool. Will see how they actually play out.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

I like San Diego's but not for them.

That should've been Miami
Agreed.
gigem1223
Farmer1906 said:

Love the Astros.

Hate the Rangers.

Shocker…
Farmer1906
AG
gigem1223 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Love the Astros.

Hate the Rangers.

Shocker…

Do you think this looks good?

I like the team that beat us in the World Series & another division opponent yet somehow I just hate Rnagers for some extra bias.
gigem1223
I think it's ok. Not the best but not even close to the worst. I appreciate the thought that went into the design. I didn't like Houston's for what it's worth. Zero thought to it and Didn't look much different than their normal jerseys.
wangus12
AG
The super dark pants on the Rangers uniforms make me think of softball uniforms
Farmer1906
AG
gigem1223 said:

I think it's ok. Not the best but not even close to the worst. I appreciate the thought that went into the design. I didn't like Houston's for what it's worth. Zero thought to it and Didn't look much different than their normal jerseys.
No thought?

These look pretty different to me.

aggiedadofpanda
AG
gigem1223 said:

Agreed. Houston's look like...Astros jerseys. I think the point was to get weird.
HarryRocket
The Rangers one looks like a Rice uniform.

Don't really get the city connection there, it's just a timeline of the baseball history of the area. Then again, I don't really know what culture/identity you could use for the DFW area.

I'm guessing a right sleeve something for Dallas, a left sleeve for Fort Worth and just DFW across the chest like they did with the Nats.
PatAg
AG
I said it in the Rangers thread, but I think they just tried to incorporate too much. Its like they got paid by the 'influence' listed.
I think we should have just brought in an 'updated' Fort Worth Cats uniform, since thats personally the only other DFW baseball I think about. At least going back into the 90s.
That or we should have done Six Flags font/colors.
fc2112
I agree the "peagle" is pretty awesome. I bought this T-shirt today.

LeagueCityAg
AG
To each their own. I like the new Rangers uniforms. As much as I hate the Astros, I like their city connects too.
Mathguy64
AG
If you showed that city connect Rangers jersey to 100 random people off the street I'll wager 98 would have no clue what team/city it is connected to.

If you have to explain all the Easter eggs you missed your mark.

As horrific as the San Diego one is, at least it says San Diego. If you took that name off everyone would think it's Miami. That's a miss there too.
_lefraud_
AG
The problem is Arlington. They could have tied in the Dallas skyline, the Fort Worth stockyards, but there's nothing iconic about Arlington, except for JerryWorld. Hell, even DFW wouldn't encompass "Arlington". Tough to leave out the city that actually made the Texas Rangers happen, and I'm ok with that.

Using Six Flags, the actual Texas Rangers or basically any other color scheme would have made them so much better.
cr06gis
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Tough to leave out the city that actually made the Texas Rangers happen, and I'm ok with that

Arlington IS the reason the Texas Rangers happened. Mayor Vandergriff spent a decade trying to get a team there. He built Turnpike Stadium for the Spurs that would accommodate a MLB squad if/when he could lure one there.

City of Dallas failed to bring the A's from KC when they had a chance in the 60's.
_lefraud_
AG
I agree , they shouldn't have left Arlington out.

I worded that poorly.
AgBQ-00
AG
To understand the dynamics at play you have to understand that Dallas and Fort Worth have a very long and heated rivalry with one another. It is why Dfw Airport was built where it was and how it was. It is why an MLB team would only work in the middle of the two. Tying in both city's baseball history to this is perfect for the Rangers. They have always been related to the area more than a single city.
Harry Dunne
I think the Rangers one looks good but there's a whole lot of homage to things no one at all knows or GAF about.
AustinAg2K
Rangers would have done better to just wear a Dallas Cowboys uniform, since that's what everyone in DFW cares about.
Mr.Bond
AG
aggiedadofpanda said:

gigem1223 said:

Agreed. Houston's look like...Astros jerseys. I think the point was to get weird.

My goodness this take is incredibly off the mark here. They look NOTHING alike and arguably have more detail and story than literally any city connect jersey to date. It's ok to not like them but the statements above are inherently false
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Mr Gigem
AG
Mr.Bond said:

aggiedadofpanda said:

gigem1223 said:

My goodness this take is incredibly off the mark here. They look NOTHING alike

Now say this about Globe Life Field and Minute Maid Park
BMX Bandit
fc2112 said:

I agree the "peagle" is pretty awesome. I bought this T-shirt today.

the jersey just looks clunky to me. i like the story telling, just not the execution. need different hat from main logo on jersey

not a fan of the color scheme either.

but that shirt is very cool!
BMX Bandit
my personal opinion rankings:

1. colorado
2. boston
3. washington
4. miami
5. milwaukee
6. houston
7. white sox
8. texas
9. SF
10. Angels
11. KC
12. atlanta
13. cubs
14. san diego
15. dodgers
Frok
AG
The Astros jersey also pays homage to the great Houston tradition of Oxy.
tjack16
AG
In regard to the Rangers uniforms, as an Astros fan, I can say that the jersey is actually pretty cool. But the pants are terrible. Also, I'm not a big fan of light colored jersey, dark colored pants.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.