*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,356,696 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Carlo4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

9 mil for a guy who can't hit fastballs is scary

All others worth every penny

He's been first or second in several offensive categories for AL first baseman both this year and last year. His mom is also dealing with brain cancer, which I'm sure has played a part in his month long slump.

I trust in Lowe.
duck79
AG
Did Langford ever play 1st at Florida or is he cross training there? That kid will be in the majors next year and we have to get him on the field. Do you let Lowe walk and save the 9mill?
BassCowboy33
I'm loving the media whiners complaining that the bye punishes teams with the best record. Smoltz's crying about how the Rangers being able to throw Montgomery in G2 was "unfair", despite them having to throw a bullpen game in G1 is next-level copium. Out here in the ATL, lots of people complaining that the bye puts the Braves at a disadvantage.
DeangeloVickers
AG
DeangeloVickers
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

I'm loving the media whiners complaining that the bye punishes teams with the best record. Smoltz's crying about how the Rangers being able to throw Montgomery in G2 was "unfair", despite them having to throw a bullpen game in G1 is next-level copium. Out here in the ATL, lots of people complaining that the bye puts the Braves at a disadvantage.

That's why we let Seattle win 3 out 4. We preferred the WC
rbtexan
S
9 million for a starting 1st baseman isn't bad. I suspect they'll keep Lowe.
Jimbo Franchione
bdp514am
I like the fact that the Rangers home games fall during the part of the rotation where the Orioles will likely throw Kremer and Gibson. Two guys prone to giving up the long ball in a park where the Rangers hit a ton of them
Michael Cera Palin
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Playing Chess not Checkers
BassCowboy33
DeangeloVickers said:

BassCowboy33 said:

I think a lot of it is, more than any other sport, baseball media seems to be highly concentrated on the East Coast, and tend to inherently think those teams are better. There's a snobbery in baseball media that's annoying.
Tksymm7
AG
His inability to hit a 91 MPH fastball simply baffles me, but I would agree he's worth keeping at that number.
bdp514am
I think we'll need a bigger sample size to see how it all shakes out. But early returns suggest being the WC is at the least not a huge disadvantage. Certainly not the disadvantage it was when you had the 1 game WC and your rotation was screwed for the next series.
Proposition Joe
It helped that it was a missed hit and run by Hicks. A left handed batter not even leaning into the zone on a strike over the center of the plate is what would be considered "putting it on a platter" for the catcher.

Gunnar looking into home plate to see the pitch (because it was a H&R) also contributed to him not getting there as quickly as he could.

Where that pitch was... and with Seager covering... That is potentially the turning point of the entire series if Texas wins. That was a tailor-made hit and run -- decently easy pitch to put the bat on, a hitter that is more than capable of punching a ground ball to the opposite field. If Hicks executes with any kind of competency that is 1st and 3rd, nobody out against a rattled LeClerc.

Playoff baseball is intense.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I would have preferred to get a top two seed, but baseball players, particularly starting pitchers, are creatures of habit. They play on a set schedule for 7-8 months and then get it turned upside down with the bye.

Which is perfectly cool with me. Hopefully Baltimore and Houston are completely unable to adjust!
Proposition Joe
bdp514am said:

I think we'll need a bigger sample size to see how it all shakes out. But early returns suggest being the WC is at the least not a huge disadvantage. Certainly not the disadvantage it was when you had the 1 game WC and your rotation was screwed for the next series.

Ultimately if your team isn't trying to recover from a significant injury then the biggest drawback is losing homefield advantage.

Players needing rest vs players being cold is a toss-up, we won't have enough data to really draw any conclusions for a decade.

But homefield advantage is pretty well established.
bmac_aggie18
AG
I've got to think Lowe figures out the fastball in the offseason. Silver slugger last year and for the most part of this year barring the past 2 months. He's been real solid so I say stick with it
Michael Cera Palin
AG
The argument Smoltz made about Monty pitching game 2 as "unfair" was dumb as hell, but I do think there's a solid argument to be made that going 5 days without a game after playing non-stop for 6 months is going to throw some guys off their game/rhythm.

Now, if the wild card series goes the full 3 games then I don't really care what anyone says, the WC team is at a severe disadvantage.

Also, during the Dodgers-Dbacks game Bob Costas mentioned moving away from hard-set brackets and instead the lowest seed that advances from the WC round would go on to play the top seed which I agree with.
BassCowboy33
bdp514am said:

I mean, the Rangers were forced to throw a bullpen game against the Orioles ace and still won. That's an advantage any team in baseball will take. If you can't take advantage of that, then it's on you, not the format.

In Rosenthal's article in The Athletic today, I was surprised that the whole notion seems to be finding ways to get the top seeds to advance, which kinda defeats the point of the playoffs in sports to begin with. It also appears that most complaints are coming from fans, not players, management, or the MLB.

In a sense, the MLB widening the playoff format feels a bit like how the NHL goes, where teams fighting for playoff spots for weeks on end tend to have an emotional advantage early in the series over teams that cakewalk into a playoff spot.

But the facts are this: the Braves had a losing record at home against Philly this year. The Orioles and the Rangers split their season series, and Texas tattooed Rodriguez multiple times. Despite differences in record, some teams just match up better against others.
BassCowboy33
Michael Cera Palin said:

The argument Smoltz made about Monty pitching game 2 as "unfair" was dumb as hell, but I do think there's a solid argument to be made that going 5 days without a game after playing non-stop for 6 months is going to throw some guys off their game/rhythm.

Now, if the wild card series goes the full 3 games then I don't really care what anyone says, the WC team is at a severe disadvantage.

Also, during the Dodgers-Dbacks game Bob Costas mentioned moving away from hard-set brackets and instead the lowest seed that advances from the WC round would go on to play the top seed which I agree with.
Reseeding, which is how the NHL used to do it (and NFL still does). When the NHL ran the 8/8 reseeding bracket, it was the best format in sports. Now, its 4/4/4/4 format is stupid because it often pits the two best teams in the conference against each other in the second round. My biggest complaint about baseball for years has been the small playoff format made people lose interest at the end of the year because, usually, only a small number of teams were vying for playoff spots. It's also my argument for why an expanded CFB playoff will increase interest, because teams will be fighting for spots later into the season.
Water Boy
AG
So the team that had a 4 game series in Seattle, flew out to Tampa and had to win 2 vs a 99 win team, then fly to Baltimore and pitch their best 3rd best pitcher vs the O's ace had the massive advantage? Did they mention our two best pitchers are not even pitching this series and that we lost 94 games last season?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Michael Cera Palin said:

Reseeding, which is how the NHL used to do it (and NFL still does). When the NHL ran the 8/8 reseeding bracket, it was the best format in sports. Now, its 4/4/4/4 format is stupid because it often pits the two best teams in the conference against each other in the second round. My biggest complaint about baseball for years has been the small playoff format made people lose interest at the end of the year because, usually, only a small number of teams were vying for playoff spots. It's also my argument for why an expanded CFB playoff will increase interest, because teams will be fighting for spots later into the season.
I do not understand why the NHL switched to its current format. It's annoying to keep track of.
Yellerjacket
Water Boy said:

So the team that had a 4 game series in Seattle, flew out to Tampa and had to win 2 vs a 99 win team, then fly to Baltimore and pitch their best 3rd best pitcher vs the O's ace had the massive advantage? Did they mention our two best pitchers are not even pitching this series and that we lost 94 games last season?
Exactly. If we're at such an advantage, I guess the O's would have switched places with us and given up the bye and home field if given the opportunity?
Carlo4
AG
And I say this realizing what I'm going through with my dad (i've posted about it a few times). I'm working part time balancing the many hats of Husband/son/father/manager making the 70 mile one way drive to the hospital along with making sure I take just enough time to release stress.

It weighs on you. When Lowe breaks out, he will in a MAJOR way.
agent-maroon
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

If there was even the slightest advantage to being the WC team then you would see teams intentionally tanking to steal it. Want an example? Look no further than the current AL West champs and consider that they won it on the last game of the season. Tanking entire seasons is no problem so tanking one game wouldn't be a problem either
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Yellerjacket
agent-maroon said:

BassCowboy33 said:

If there was even the slightest advantage to being the WC team then you would see teams intentionally tanking to steal it. Want an example? Look no further than the current AL West champs and consider that they won it on the last game of the season. Tanking entire seasons is no problem so tanking one game wouldn't be a problem either
Yep. We had to go on the road and play an extra playoff series. In no universe could that be considered an advantage.
Michael Cera Palin
AG

Also this happened on the radio broadcast
BassCowboy33
Michael Cera Palin said:

Also this happened on the radio broadcast
I was talking with some family about this earlier today. Nadel's calls have not been as good as in years past. I know he was dealing with some mental health stuff the first 2/3 of the season, and his calls have been flat and uninspiring. Hicks and Sandler were great on their calls, and Hicks has become my favorite. Nadel is a legend, but I wonder if his heart isn't in it anymore.

Edit: You know Grubes is going to blast Creed at every opportunity on Tuesday.
Grapesoda2525
Michael Cera Palin said:

John Smoltz is an elitist *****. He's swinging all over the east coast nutsack. Guy probably was secretly jacking off to the thought of a Braves vs orioles World Series and here come the Rangers to try and ruin it. He brazenly sounded so disappointed when Mitch garver hit that grand slam in Baltimore. The announcing isn't much better than what we're used too, but Dave Raymond would've ****ed up the call on the Mitch slam so I don't know what to tell you.

The national guys are slightly better than our guys. If they weren't biased, it would be a lot better tho. I've been saying for years that the rangers need to clean house with their broadcast. Get rid of everyone and start over.
Grapesoda2525
Just try to enjoy the next day and a half until we play again. It's not often that this team is on top of the baseball world, but I'd say right now we are with every other team in MLB wishing they had a 2-0 series lead in the division series.

Odds to reach the ALCS are probably pretty good, but the orioles can't be counted out yet.
BassCowboy33
Grapesoda2525 said:

Michael Cera Palin said:

John Smoltz is an elitist *****. He's swinging all over the east coast nutsack. Guy probably was secretly jacking off to the thought of a Braves vs orioles World Series and here come the Rangers to try and ruin it. He brazenly sounded so disappointed when Mitch garver hit that grand slam in Baltimore. The announcing isn't much better than what we're used too, but Dave Raymond would've ****ed up the call on the Mitch slam so I don't know what to tell you.

The national guys are slightly better than our guys. If they weren't biased, it would be a lot better tho. I've been saying for years that the rangers need to clean house with their broadcast. Get rid of everyone and start over.

Hasn't been the same same since they dumped Josh Lewin, because a vocal minority didn't like him.
Txhuntr
AG
I absolutely think surviving the wc round is a huge advantage. You have a team that is chugging along business as usual vs a team that has gotten twice as much rest as any other point since April. It can be tough to get the wheels rolling again after they stop. MLB did this to themselves by inviting half the league to the playoffs, and I have no problem with the rangers taking advantage.
GrapevineAg
AG
Carlo4 said:

And I say this realizing what I'm going through with my dad (i've posted about it a few times). I'm working part time balancing the many hats of Husband/son/father/manager making the 70 mile one way drive to the hospital along with making sure I take just enough time to release stress.

It weighs on you. When Lowe breaks out, he will in a MAJOR way.

I feel for you. Be sure to take care of yourself and reach out for help - all the friends that tell if "if you need anything, just let me know" - they'll be happy to actually help.

FWIW, my wife was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago, and it has changed things quite a bit. Fortunately her prognosis is very good, and friends have been super supportive. We went to a lot of Rangers games in '96 while we were dating, and camped out for tickets at The Ballpark for that postseason, so the Rangers have a special meaning to her and me. This postseason has taken on a little more significance.

Yes, Lowe has a lot going on in his head right now, and I hope and believe he will break out of it.
DallasAg 94
bdp514am said:

Well, it was a huge disadvantage for those 4 teams that made the WC but watching games from home, now.

How did Houston do it, over coming the break and all... **rolls eyes at media**
DallasAg 94
Flounder Dorfman said:

I would have preferred to get a top two seed, but baseball players, particularly starting pitchers, are creatures of habit. They play on a set schedule for 7-8 months and then get it turned upside down with the bye.

Which is perfectly cool with me. Hopefully Baltimore and Houston are completely unable to adjust!

Maybe a bigger issue was that teams let off the gas once they clinched and added to the bye, they got flat footed.

Houston played all the way through 162 and seemed fine.
South Platte
Every team thinks the broadcast team is against them. I love the TV crews that MLB puts together for the playoffs every year, except Wainwright sucks. They gave plenty of compliments to Texas and were only trying to keep viewers around by talking about a comeback. To be honest, they weren't that far off from what I was thinking about the comeback. I was bracing myself for the worst.

Baltimore is a garbage town in a garbage state. Maryland is about as non-descript as a state can be, and Baltimore has zero national viewership. Makes no difference to Fox who wins this series.

I thought the crew seemed to favor Minnesota over Houston, which is strange because national hatred for Houston draws viewers, Minnesota draws very little.

South Platte
Txhuntr said:

I absolutely think surviving the wc round is a huge advantage. You have a team that is chugging along business as usual vs a team that has gotten twice as much rest as any other point since April. It can be tough to get the wheels rolling again after they stop. MLB did this to themselves by inviting half the league to the playoffs, and I have no problem with the rangers taking advantage.
I think the 2 wildcard play-in games were fine. No byes for the ALDS. But MLB can't help itself by adding the wildcard round.

Fast forward a few years - MLB adds 2 expansion teams to get to 32, divides it into 8 divisions of 4 like the NFL. 4 division winners, 4 wild cards. Byes in baseball don't help like they do in football. The resting pitching concept is a joke. I think we will soon see a best of 5 "first round", followed by a best of 7 division series and a best of 7 championship series.
First Page Last Page
Page 718 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.