*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,356,848 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Life is full of circumstances. Teams that won their division and got a bye have to deal with the schedule.

Injuries happen. Trades happen. Prospects emerge. The ASB is an issue that needs to be done away with, if the WC break is an issue. Teams that get players into the AllStar game get a huge advantage, like the Rangers because they keep playing without a break... *sarcasm* Injuries can be an issue in those extra games.

The Asstros had a huge advantage having made the playoffs in 2022... Why is that not neutralized?

Rangers picked up Monty at the Trade deadline. O's didn't and are disadvantaged...

We are advantaged because we have Bochy.

Truth is... there is no crying in Baseball. "TAKE OCTOBER."
fc2112
I don't remember anyone trying to throw games to get into the WC round. This is just hindsight scatter shooting.
hawk1689
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

I'm loving the media whiners complaining that the bye punishes teams with the best record. Smoltz's crying about how the Rangers being able to throw Montgomery in G2 was "unfair", despite them having to throw a bullpen game in G1 is next-level copium. Out here in the ATL, lots of people complaining that the bye puts the Braves at a disadvantage.

Losers always whine about doing their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

They like to forget that we were a tie breaker away from the #2 seed. We had 5 all stars go on the DL in the second half. Our Pythagorean W/L based on production was better than the Orioles.
Grapesoda2525
hawk1689 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

I'm loving the media whiners complaining that the bye punishes teams with the best record. Smoltz's crying about how the Rangers being able to throw Montgomery in G2 was "unfair", despite them having to throw a bullpen game in G1 is next-level copium. Out here in the ATL, lots of people complaining that the bye puts the Braves at a disadvantage.

Losers always whine about doing their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

They like to forget that we were a tie breaker away from the #2 seed. We had 5 all stars go on the DL in the second half. Our Pythagorean W/L based on production was better than the Orioles.
Yep yep.

Nobody felt bad for us when Degrom / Scherzer / Eovaldi went down. Nobody felt bad for us when nearly all of the all stars we sent to Seattle ended up on the disabled list at the same time. If anything, teams we played at the time like Milwaukee and the Twinkies smelled blood in the water and went after us even harder.

Fast forward to today, we appear to have turned things around and righted the ship, now people are *****ing. Screw them. Run right thru this playoff bracket and jam it down their throats.
Proposition Joe
Who is heading to the park tomorrow? I'll buy any regulars a beer.
Mr Gigem
AG
Proposition Joe said:

MrCoachEricTaylor
Guys… I really miss watching the Rangers play.
cmiller00
AG
I agree winning your division should be an advantage but that Athletic article was silly. Tampa won more games than Houston (or us if we had won the last day) are we going to argue about that next?
gigem1223
So haven't seen this posted yet but your Texas Rangers are now the betting favorites to win the World Series at +360.

I got $20 on them at +1800 in June.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Proposition Joe said:

I'll be in Section 203!
Double Talkin' Jive...
DallasAg 94
Appreciate the offer.

I'll be out of the state, unfortunately.
Grapesoda2525
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Should be enjoying the off day while we are riding high.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Grapesoda2525 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

I should be, but I'm still making myself not watch them while we're winning. Still haven't watched since the last loss to Seattle!
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

I should be, but I'm still making myself not watch them while we're winning. Still haven't watched since the last loss to Seattle!

I went through this during a slump in June. We were on a bad stretch and after losing at home to Toronto (I had six game attendance winning streak until that day) I decided I wouldn't watch until we had won a few in a row. We pulled out of that funk, thanks to me not watching. I was pretty sure I was bad luck for some reason.

Here's the deal. We've won 4 in a row. I'm not giving you permission to watch per se but you've got to get back on the horse at some point.
Double Talkin' Jive...
DallasAg 94
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

You're missing great baseball. They'll win.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I know I know, I'm not usually a superstitious guy, but when it comes to sports I'm pretty bad. I may try to watch tomorrow, and if we win, I know I can watch lol if not then we still have two chances to win one more and then I'll look forward to the Texas Rangers World Series documentary!
BassCowboy33
DallasAg 94 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

I would have preferred to get a top two seed, but baseball players, particularly starting pitchers, are creatures of habit. They play on a set schedule for 7-8 months and then get it turned upside down with the bye.

Which is perfectly cool with me. Hopefully Baltimore and Houston are completely unable to adjust!

Maybe a bigger issue was that teams let off the gas once they clinched and added to the bye, they got flat footed.

Houston played all the way through 162 and seemed fine.

The Braves hadn't played a meaningful game in nearly a month. Football and hockey are notorious for hot wild cards scorching top seeds who weren't mentally prepared. When you expand the playoffs, you get a more intense regular season with more teams battling down the stretch. Basically, it puts some teams in playoff mode weeks before the actual playoffs, which can be a great mental advantage early in a series. See it all the time in other sports.
BassCowboy33
hawk1689 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

This is pretty good, lol.
zgolfz85
AG
If ATL goes on to lose wow

Got a lot of braves fan buddies saying a lot of wild stuff right now
BassCowboy33
zgolfz85 said:

If ATL goes on to lose wow

Got a lot of braves fan buddies saying a lot of wild stuff right now
I work in the media out here and covered Game 1. The fans here were nervous before the series, but they're absolutely freaking out right now and trying to find any and all excuses as to why they're getting throat punched. Still time to rally though.
BassCowboy33
gigem1223 said:

So haven't seen this posted yet but your Texas Rangers are now the betting favorites to win the World Series at +360.

That's a bit surprising. I still think the bullpen will cost them a series. And I know we're riding high, but if Eovaldi doesn't pull out a win tomorrow, the Rangers' Game 4 starter is probably Perez, and then another bullpen game for Game 5.
fc2112
Zach Wheeler was dealing but they let him go a bit too long.
KT 90
AG
Basically, it's a MLB decision in the playoffs.

KT 90
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

gigem1223 said:

That's a bit surprising. I still think the bullpen will cost them a series. And I know we're riding high, but if Eovaldi doesn't pull out a win tomorrow, the Rangers' Game 4 starter is probably Perez, and then another bullpen game for Game 5.

If there is a game 5, it would be Friday. Montgomery could pitch on regular rest on Friday. Plus he only had 88 pitches Sunday, so it's not like he went over his usual range and needs an extra day.
sburg2007
BassCowboy33 said:

gigem1223 said:

Montgomery would be on normal rest for game 5. Why would they throw a bullpen game?
BassCowboy33
KT 90 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

gigem1223 said:

If there is a game 5, it would be Friday. Montgomery could pitch on regular rest on Friday. Plus he only had 88 pitches Sunday, so it's not like he went over his usual range and needs an extra day.

Good catch.
DallasAg 94
BassCowboy33 said:

gigem1223 said:

Dunning went 30 PC on Saturday, he'd likely be good to go in G4, as well.

But, Eovaldi will finish it off tomorrow.
Seven Costanza
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

gigem1223 said:

I wouldn't read too much into it. Right now a huge component of the odds is simply about who is most likely to move on to the next round. With the Rangers being up 2-0, they are currently the most likely to move on. They absolutely would not be the favorite against Atlanta or LAD just before the World Series starts, but those teams first have to get out of the hole they've created just to move on, thus their odds are lower right now.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Braves take the lead! That was amazing.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Looking at Kremer's stats for 2023:

13-5 with a 4.12 ERA. We are catching him on a hopefully down day. Meaning his baseball reference game scores for the past 5 games alternate good and bad: (from most recent to earliest) 71, 29, 62, 27, 58.

Double Talkin' Jive...
DallasAg 94
And with one swing of the Bat... all the chatter about WC advantage disappears.
DallasAg 94
It's been 12 days since he pitched in a game... that means Advantage Rangers, because MLB players can't handle too many days off.
DeangeloVickers
AG
It's just so stupid.....no one on the planet would switch places with us.

7 roads games to end the season
3 game series vs Tampa
5 game series where Baltimore is the home team

But WE have the advantage because we are playing so many do or die games?!?!?!!
toucan82
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Braves take the lead! That was amazing.
yup. October baseball is fun
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

It's just so stupid.....no one on the planet would switch places with us.

7 roads games to end the season
3 game series vs Tampa
5 game series where Baltimore is the home team

But WE have the advantage because we are playing so many do or die games?!?!?!!

They mentioned something during the games on Saturday. Jonah has played everyone of the games since the Team took down Seattle with 7 games remaining. He said he's playing on pure adrenaline right now.

It can't be easy for these guys. Saturday was the first time they have been home in two weeks, playing high leverage games and basically win or go home scenarios.

I do think too much time off can hurt a team that is firing on all cylinders but like some have said the teams that ran away with divisions have been resting people for weeks. It could affect their mentality. I know sometimes with me that laziness begets more laziness.
Double Talkin' Jive...
First Page Last Page
Page 719 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.