*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,394,119 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
GrapevineAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fc2112 said:

What i don't understand is how pitchcom cold be more vulnerable at home. And what could the mode of transmission to the batter be?

After what happened in 2017, I doubt coaches and players would be willing to expose themselves again.
You would've thought they'd have stopped cheating after the league warned them directly in the 2017 regular season, yet they continued through 2018 (at least).
DeangeloVickers
AG
What a fun ending this will be

4 really good teams for 3 spots. All will earn their spot.
DallasAg 94
94chem said:

Houston didn't score until 2 outs in the 5th inning of game 1. Hedges was our best pitcher for the series. IDK.

Maybe it all works out if that series caused Dusty to play Maldonado more.
If I'm stealing signs in a series... do you think I commit to the information early... or do you validate 1st?

If I think I've got foreknowledge of signs, I'm going to test the information before I commit. Once I'm sure I'm correct, I'll go all-in.

You think Hedges as the P was using the same PitchCom setup that he wasn't likely wearing, or do you think he went old school traditional? I didn't get to see the games, but it'd be interesting to know. Remember, with the PitchCom system you designate not only the pitch... but the location.

Hedges is also less likely to hit his spots.
dvldog
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

94chem said:

Houston didn't score until 2 outs in the 5th inning of game 1. Hedges was our best pitcher for the series. IDK.

Maybe it all works out if that series caused Dusty to play Maldonado more.
If I'm stealing signs in a series... do you think I commit to the information early... or do you validate 1st?

If I think I've got foreknowledge of signs, I'm going to test the information before I commit. Once I'm sure I'm correct, I'll go all-in.

You think Hedges as the P was using the same PitchCom setup that he wasn't likely wearing, or do you think he went old school traditional? I didn't get to see the games, but it'd be interesting to know. Remember, with the PitchCom system you designate not only the pitch... but the location.

Hedges is also less likely to hit his spots.
From what I remember seeing, Hedges really had one pitch - throw the ball to the catcher and hope it doesn't get obliterated. I don't think PitchCom was being used at all with him on the mound.

I could be wrong...might be worth going back and trying to find the video.
DallasAg 94
That's what I'd expect... and expect from most position players.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Even they would admit something weird happened that series. I mean it was an epic beatdown of our pitching that has NEVER been done before. EVER. History of MLB bad....that's not players locked in....its beyond weird.

However, cheating is a strong word to use......but it doesnt make sense. At this stage if the Astros steal something on you it's as much your fault as it is theirs....
South Platte
DeangeloVickers said:

I'm worried that the one team that gets left out is going to be Texas. Flashbacks to the horrors of middle school dances . . . .
DeangeloVickers
AG
South Platte said:

DeangeloVickers said:

I'm worried that the one team that gets left out is going to be Texas. Flashbacks to the horrors of middle school dances . . . .
We lose Scherzer its a definite possibility....but these last 4 games....

gigem1223
So Antoine Kelly needs to be promoted yesterday to help this bullpen.

Since June 1. 35.2 innings, 26 H, 5 ER, 6 BB, 49K, WHIP of 0.90, BAA of .193, 1.26 ERA, 2.37 FIP.
DallasAg 94
gigem1223 said:

So Antoine Kelly needs to be promoted yesterday to help this bullpen.

Since June 1. 35.2 innings, 26 H, 5 ER, 6 BB, 49K, WHIP of 0.90, BAA of .193, 1.26 ERA, 2.37 FIP.

I'd tap the brakes on that.

He is not on the 40.

He was 5.8 BB9 in 2022. He'll be on the 40 in a couple months (Rule V) and likely a consideration for 2024 BP... but after this season, we'll see what CY does.
gigem1223
As I've said before there's a lot of dead weight on the 40 currently that I'd DFA. His K/ BB ratio has been excellent for months. We need all the help we can get (especially in the pen) if we're to make a run at this thing.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Without looking at the 40, I would be very surprised if less than 10 come off for various reasons I'm the off-season.

Outside of Montgomery, is there an expiring contract on a player we want back? Is Stratton a FA?
rbtexan
S
The 40 going into next season will be an interesting topic.

Here is a list of players currently on the 40 that I don't expect to be with the team/on the roster next season. That may be due to trades, retirement, DFA, whatever - I don't see the following players filling up 40 man spots next year.

Ian Kennedy
Zak Kent
Yerry Rodriguez
Jake Odorizzi
Josh Sborz (on the fence on this one - personally I'd dump him)
Cole Winn
Mitch Garver
Jon Ornelas and/or Josh Smith
Brad Miller
Dustin Harris
JP Martinez
Robby Grossman and/or Travis Jankowski

That's 13 spots that could potentially be opened up for off-season acquisitions and other minor leaguers who need to be added to the 40 to avoid the Rule 5 draft.

I listed Garver, who has been very productive, not because I think he should be dumped necessarily but because I think the chances he re-signs with the Rangers are slim to none as a UFA. Other than him, I wouldn't mind any of the players mentioned going away.

** edit to add - Stratton and Montgomery are both UFAs and I doubt both will be back, but hopefully at least one of them will.
Jimbo Franchione
twilly
AG
duck79
AG
So when are we expecting the MRI feedback?? Gig Em, we need some good news so start wandering the halls!!
Mr Gigem
AG
Shameless Plug:

Y'all have been so kind this year using the TexAgs coupon for purchasing Rangers tickets. That certainly means a lot to me, and I hope to be able to continue to provide that year after year.

I'm once again asking for help, but not related to Rangers tickets. My wife's middle school band has been selected to perform at a national convention in Indianapolis next spring. This is a huge honor for her students, but unfortunately it's pretty expensive and the students have to pay their own way. They do have a few fundraising events set up throughout the year, and they have set up a link to make donations to their program. Any amount helps if you feel like donating!

Donation Link
South Platte
Flounder Dorfman said:

Without looking at the 40, I would be very surprised if less than 10 come off for various reasons I'm the off-season.

Outside of Montgomery, is there an expiring contract on a player we want back? Is Stratton a FA?
We want Montgomery back?
gigem1223
South Platte said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

We want Montgomery back?

He was great in June, July and August. Has had a tuff last few starts (who in the rotation hasn't). I think he can be a solid MORP for us. I'd like to get him back on a short term deal personally.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
South Platte said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

We want Montgomery back?

On something like a two year deal? Absolutely.
vander54
S
South Platte said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

We want Montgomery back?

Yes. At the right price
World's worst proofreader
South Platte
Flounder Dorfman said:

South Platte said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

We want Montgomery back?

Ok something like a two year deal? Absolutely.
He's another #4 starter like Perez, Gray, Heaney and Dunning. For 50 years our franchise has tried the secret recipe of hoarding #4 starters to the same roster. We must try to use the money for someone better. Snell, then hope Degrom's arm doesn't turn into a slinky toy.

Scherzer
Snell
Degrom
Eovaldi

That really ought to be enough to win the Series. Trade Dunning, Jon Gray, Perez, or Heaney.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
South Platte said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

South Platte said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

We want Montgomery back?

Ok something like a two year deal? Absolutely.
He's another #4 starter like Perez, Gray, Heaney and Dunning. For 50 years our franchise has tried the secret recipe of hoarding #4 starters to the same roster. We must try to use the money for someone better. Snell, then hope Degrom's arm doesn't turn into a slinky toy.

Scherzer
Snell
Degrom
Eovaldi

That really ought to be enough to win the Series. Trade Dunning, Jon Gray, Perez, or Heaney.

Three of your listed starters have injury problems.

Scherzer is having an MRI today after being taken out last night.

DeGrom will hopefully make it back from his second TJ surgery.

Eovaldi missed a month and is currently trying to build himself back up.

Snell plays for another team right now.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

The 40 going into next season will be an interesting topic.

Here is a list of players currently on the 40 that I don't expect to be with the team/on the roster next season. That may be due to trades, retirement, DFA, whatever - I don't see the following players filling up 40 man spots next year.

Ian Kennedy - FA
Zak Kent - Serf1
Yerry Rodriguez - Serf1
Jake Odorizzi - FA
Josh Sborz (on the fence on this one - personally I'd dump him) - Serf3
Cole Winn - Serf3
Mitch Garver - FA
Jon Ornelas and/or Josh Smith - Both Serfs
Brad Miller - FA
Dustin Harris - Serf1
JP Martinez - Serf1
Robby Grossman and/or Travis Jankowski <- Both FA

That's 13 spots that could potentially be opened up for off-season acquisitions and other minor leaguers who need to be added to the 40 to avoid the Rule 5 draft.

I listed Garver, who has been very productive, not because I think he should be dumped necessarily but because I think the chances he re-signs with the Rangers are slim to none as a UFA. Other than him, I wouldn't mind any of the players mentioned going away.

** edit to add - Stratton and Montgomery are both UFAs and I doubt both will be back, but hopefully at least one of them will.

For clarity... inserted official status and additional FA info

FAs:
Martin Perez
Odorizzi
Montgomery
Hedges - C
Miller
Garver - C
Chapman
Will Smith
Stratton
Kennedy
Grossman
Jankowski
Leon (already gone)

All of these guys will likely be on the 40, next year:
Zak Kent - Serf1
Yerry Rodriguez - Serf1
Cole Winn - Serf3
Dustin Harris - Serf1
JP Martinez - Serf1

Like them or not... unless there is someone more significant to protect... they'll all be back. For Free.

Edited to clean up snarky tone.
gigem1223
Montgomery is better than your average #4. He has a career era+ of 112 and for the last 3-4 years of his career has pitched like a 2/3.
Proposition Joe
Yes I'd love Montgomery back. #3-4 type guy
rbtexan
S
Did you even read my post?
Jimbo Franchione
DeangeloVickers
AG
Seattle vs Angels at 3:10

Castillo (SEA) vs. Wantz (LAA)
Seattle -310
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

Did you even read my post?
I did... I should have used a smiley.
rbtexan
S
I'll answer my own question....no you didn't.

Because if you had read my post, you would've seen the part at the top where I said

Quote:

Here is a list of players currently on the 40 that I don't expect to be with the team/on the roster next season. That may be due to trades, retirement, DFA, whatever
Do you want me to go back and find some of your posts prior to the '22 season when you were telling us all how stuck we were with a crappy roster, completely ignoring the fact that players can be traded or signed as FAs?
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

I'll answer my own question....no you didn't.

Because if you had read my post, you would've seen the part at the top where I said

Quote:

Here is a list of players currently on the 40 that I don't expect to be with the team/on the roster next season. That may be due to trades, retirement, DFA, whatever
Do you want me to go back and find some of your posts prior to the '22 season when you were telling us all how stuck we were with a crappy roster, completely ignoring the fact that players can be traded or signed as FAs?

Sure, if it pleasures you... we had a crappy roster prior to '22 because we wouldn't trade or improve the roster. JD's idea of signing FAs centered around signing TJ retreads in hopes they'd have a good season (Gibson, Lynn, Lyles) and have trade deadline value. It was the point of tanking.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. It wasn't my intent.

I did read your post. Which of these players do YOU think get traded?!

Ian Kennedy - FA
Zak Kent - Serf1
Yerry Rodriguez - Serf1
Jake Odorizzi - FA
Cole Winn - Serf3
Mitch Garver - FA
Brad Miller - FA
Dustin Harris - Serf1
JP Martinez - Serf1
Robby Grossman and/or Travis Jankowski <- Both FA

I don't think any of those players have trade value. I don't think any retire.

I believe they will all be on the 40 this offseason... and likely during the season 2024.

I think Sborz is worth keeping. If he can stay healthy he is an option in the pen.
I think Winn's time has passed. He might be a candidate to retire, but doubt that will happen. He has been snake bit and will likely serve out the course of the 2024 season. He'll likely make a few million signing as a FA over a few years.

JPM seemed promising. He has little trade value now. I was high on him.

Most of those guys are not going to be contributors of any magnitude. It wouldn't hurt my feeling if they dumped them, but unless there are better options, we'll likely keep them.

Having said that... guys I HAVE suggested could be traded before 2024:
Taveras, Adolis, Duran, and Semien. I could see Dunning, Gray, and Heaney among those talked about in trades. I made those comments around the ASB with the qualifier that we win the World Series. If we win the WS, it might be worth trading Adolis or Taveras and slipping in Carter or JPM into the OF, knowing Langy is also a future option.

If Duran continued to hit well, he might be an option at 2B and give Semien an option to play for another team of his desire.

A rotation of Scherzer, Eovaldi, and one or two of: Heaney, Gray, Dunning would fit nicely with an OWhite or Bradford. Both look promising and could hold until deGrom returns.

I'd pick up Heaney's extra $7M bonus and trade him.

I don't disagree with your premise... I wanted to put team status with your list and window for carpool was approaching, so I cut my comments short. PS... I was still late.

We could have plenty of roster turnover. Especially if we win the WS.
Carlo4
AG
Baseball has a certain amount of timing associated with it... like the Astros running into the As when they are sitting on loss 99 and playing with massive pride to see if they never get to 100 the rest of the way.

Kudos to the As for quickly getting us right back into this thing with 18 to play. We really could end up with a 4 way tie here down the stretch. Getting those tie breakers are huge (Toronto last night and hopefully Seattle later this month)
Danny Vermin
DMN said Scherzer is done for the year.
cmiller00
AG
gigem1223
MFer this franchise if fecking cursed! Why can't we ever have nice things?
Proposition Joe
On the bright side, he's got another year left on his deal so he can't come back and no-hit us next season?
First Page Last Page
Page 565 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.