*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,394,262 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
South Platte
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think we need to keep this collapse in perspective. For the first time since the Obama administration baseball meant something in DFW. This team gave us some amazing moments during the first 5 months and a glimpse of things to come.

Looking back at the beginning of the year we knew the bullpen was not good. They overachieved early and adding Chapman gave us more hope. Some of our guys had career years during the first half, as evidenced by all of the All-Star nominations.

I hated this franchise this time last season. CY proved me wrong and that's good. More changes are needed and he knows it. Other teams need to make moves too, so hopefully help from the farm is on the way.

Try to forget the last 1/4 of the season. Improvement occurred. Play it out and see who shrinks when things go sideways and who hangs in there.
JWinTX
I think Bochy was a great manager. I don't blame him for all of what has happened. But it's obvious he's got no answers and it's getting more and more clear that his old school style just doesn't jive with this clubhouse. Maybe that says more about the players on the teamprobably does, actually. But it's definitely clear that he has lost the team. And Chris Young has to use this as a real lesson in building up the team for both rosters and coaching. And I'm bullish on CY. Smart guy and learning this to get better will help us in the years ahead. I go back to what Houston learned in 2015, as an organization. You gotta learn to win close games, to win late in the season, and to win in trades/roster makeup. No reason that can't happen here over the next few season.
Proposition Joe
CY failed this year in fortifying the bullpen. That's what contenders do, and our only real move was a guy that had already shown that he doesn't do well under pressure.
DallasAg 94
In terms of Runs and HRs in a 3 game series... the Radio said that was the MOST Runs and HRs in a 3 Game series EVER... in MLB.

All the Yankee team Offenses... against all those retread, recycle teams... All thos Rangers P staffs with 5+ ERAs in the '90s... never has a team scored that many Runs and that many HRs.

A rotation that used: Heaney - Eovaldi - Scherzer

And a lineup that saw guys like Altuve, Maldonado, and Dubon have multi-HR games and lead the team in HRs. NOT their power guys.
94chem
Proposition Joe said:

CY failed this year in fortifying the bullpen. That's what contenders do, and our only real move was a guy that had already shown that he doesn't do well under pressure.

Bullpen, starters, offense, and defense all have 25% weight at the beginning of the season.

Playoff style baseball probably shifts to 35% bullpen, 25% starters, 15% offense, and 25% defense.

You can win 90 games bludgeoning the back end of 2nd division rotations, but if your pen can't strand a leadoff double, you're screwed in close games. In playoff baseball, I'd love to get 4 lockdown innings from my starter every game, then give it to the pen, where ideally you have 2 more starter arms ready.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
DallasAg 94
I think Bochy and Maddux are more young-guy coaches.

Soothing, encouraging, and stabilizing. It served the team well when putting this team together. Guys like Jung, and Taveras.

I guess as mentioned by PJ, they both will stay out of the business of a veteran like Scherzer.

What they are NOT? Tommy Lasorda. They don't have other buttons to push. Just the steady hand. They can't raise the pressure when they see it needs to be done. Lasorda once went out to a P and said "If we lose this game to this guy, you're walking back." And the P knew he meant it.

I thin there are leaders on this team, but nobody to light a fire.

You can get pissed off about Framber throwing at a hitter, but old school baseball says, you don't let a whole team of hitters get dug in and tee off on you. Brush them off, knock them down, take ownership. Look at the Holland clip above.

How many times have we gotten pissed off about a terrible NY review... or an Ump rolling us over?!

Typical Lasorda:

Go out there and tell the Ump..."That's your effing job. If you can't call balls-and-strikes, find another job."

There is a complete lack of care or emotion through all of this. It isn't just about being a Captain... Show some EFFING FIRE!

Ron WASHINGTON passion.
Proposition Joe
Or Ian Kinsler "get off our ****ing field" passion.

Or Michael Young passion.

Or Adrian Beltre I'm a hall of famer you better ****ing listen to me passion.

We've got a roster of "quiet leaders", young guys and guys that just want to do their job and not be bothered. That's fine things are going well, but it's bad news if things go bad.
Tksymm7
AG
Proposition Joe said:

He did fail in this aspect, but I always thought our bullpen was a multi-year project to rebuild. Now, I didn't think they would be this putrid and push us all the way back to the starting line, but I always thought they were bad and going to take multiple years to turn over.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I STILL BELIEVE WE WILL WIN THE DIVISION!
TODAY IT BEGINS!
TODAY IS THE DAY WE CHARGE THE MOUNTAIN!!
JWinTX
South Platte said:

I think we need to keep this collapse in perspective. For the first time since the Obama administration baseball meant something in DFW. This team gave us some amazing moments during the first 5 months and a glimpse of things to come.

Looking back at the beginning of the year we knew the bullpen was not good. They overachieved early and adding Chapman gave us more hope. Some of our guys had career years during the first half, as evidenced by all of the All-Star nominations.

I hated this franchise this time last season. CY proved me wrong and that's good. More changes are needed and he knows it. Other teams need to make moves too, so hopefully help from the farm is on the way.

Try to forget the last 1/4 of the season. Improvement occurred. Play it out and see who shrinks when things go sideways and who hangs in there.

Obviously, the injuries to the pitching and to Jung (and Heim) have really taken its toll. But they just seem like a team that has either quit or isn't mentally tough. Neither is positive, but I'm praying it's that they just need a new voice in the clubhouse and not the latter. Because a mentally weak team can't win anything.
94chem
LaSorda would've torn Montgomery a new orifice after that play at first last night.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Coppell97
AG
Carter sitting today. Grossman hitting 3rd.
DallasAg 94
94chem said:

LaSorda would've torn Montgomery a new orifice after that play at first last night.
"The asthma field is over there."
Hair God
AG
Ornelas called up, JPM sent down to AAA
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Aggie football is terrible.

Rangers baseball is terrible.

I need a new hobby.
Double Talkin' Jive...
bmac_aggie18
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I need a new hobby.

Thinking the same thing my goodness. But at least the Cowboys are about to start?
agent-maroon
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I need a new hobby.

Thinking the same thing my goodness. But at least the Cowboys are about to start?

I quit them a couple of decades ago. Now sips strike deep for a go ahead TD over bammer. Think I'll just start drinking heavily.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieEP
Coppell97 said:

Carter sitting today. Grossman hitting 3rd.

Lol, this is asinine, season on the line and we put a negative WAR player in the 3 hole.
Coppell97
AG
Totally agree.
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I need a new hobby.
Tequila tasting.
DallasAg 94
agent-maroon said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I need a new hobby.

I quit them a couple of decades ago. Now sips strike deep for a go ahead TD over bammer. Think I'll just start drinking heavily.
I had some Macallan 26 last year.

Once I'm done paying for kid's college, I'm investing in Scotch and going to spend a semester of A&M tuition's worth on a trip to Scotland and going to drink with the big money.

At least I'll wake up feeling like the night wasn't a waste.
AggieEP
Coppell97 said:

Totally agree.

It's like Bochy is driving this team into the gutter on purpose, does he not think about the consequences of putting Grossman there? Big situation late in the game and we have Grossman providing protection behind Seager....
Coppell97
AG
Zack Gelof . . .
Mr.Ackar07
aggietony2010
AG
Every. Damn. Night.
Coppell97
AG
It's so comical. Can never hold a lead more than an inning or maybe two.
gigem1223
Bases loaded again. A's have us right where they want us
gigem1223
Ornelas? Really?
gigem1223
That works
AggieEP
Lol I **** talk Grossman and then the A's pitch to him like he's Barry Bonds and walk him 3 times.
aggietony2010
AG
Here comes the 2 run shot from Gelof to just absolutely ruin my day.
AggieRob93
AG
Can Chapman win it or will he lose the lead? Based on recent results, yikes....
aggietony2010
AG
Hey, we won a game!
DallasAg 94
HELLO WIN COLUMN!!!
AggieRob93
AG
Good job Rangers, it's a start.
First Page Last Page
Page 557 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.