*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,339,472 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Jimtim1216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
fc2112 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Just don't get the wisdom in sending out that lineup when Wednesday is a day game. Followed by a day off Thursday and Friday is a very late night game.

And they aren't traveling. Hell, they're not even switching hotels?

And WHY didn't Seager pinch hit for Smith in the ninth?

Ok, let's go ahead and pinch hit someone with a still banged up thumb. Absolutely nothing bad can happen. If something bad does happen then It is why did he pinch hit Seager for Smith.
94chem
Seager is hurt. The 9th inning proved it.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
AgBQ-00
AG
Seager is day to day the rest of the way. My guess is his days off will be pretty frequent
94chem
AgBQ-00 said:

Seager is day to day the rest of the way. My guess is his days off will be pretty frequent

2-8 without him since the ASB. 14-0 with him. Probably a coincidence.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
JohnnyTexAg1995
Gig 'Em and God Bless
AgBQ-00
AG
Yeah. My guess was we see him playing 2 of every 3 games. If needed may go 3 of 4 or 4 of 5. But thinking that will be a desperate situation.
aggietony2010
AG
Without fail. Every day.
aggiedadofpanda
AG
This is a really good article, behind a paywall of course because why would ESPN actually allow good reporting to be free, but I digress. It's about the Rangers activity at the trade deadline, a little behind the scenes look.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/38156515/mlb-2023-trade-deadline-rangers-scherzer-astros-verlander

I'll try to post some quotes
JohnnyTexAg1995
aggietony2010 said:

Without fail. Every day.
im gunna be honest, I'm on the app and I was keeping up with y'all's thread during your game at work and went to post on the Astros thread and forgot it was open cause I never hop on y'all's, sorry for the mistake that's why I deleted right away! Good luck to y'all and thanks for looking up my posting history to shut on me I confess I'm an Astros fan haha good luck the rest of the year!
Gig 'Em and God Bless
aggiedadofpanda
AG
"The Rangers had recognized starting pitching represented a potential weakness and resolved to address it at the deadline. Texas didn't want just any starter, though. The Rangers sought impact arms, ones who could start what they hoped would be their first postseason games since 2016.

For Scherzer to be available was unthinkable at the beginning of the season, and here he was, ready to be had, the confluence of months of planning and weeks of intense scrutiny and days of discussion that helped unleash a deluge of trades consequential to the remainder of the 2023 season."

" A FEW WEEKS before the Aug. 1 deadline, executives who checked in with Mets general manager Billy Eppler to gauge New York's potential deadline activity left the conversations intrigued. The Mets lagged in fourth place in the National League East, and Eppler didn't discount the possibility of punting on the season, even after the team had committed to more than $450 million in salaries and luxury-tax payments. It all depended, he said, on how the Mets played leading up to the deadline. And for curiosity's sake, he wondered, if they did unload players, might there be any interest in Scherzer or Verlander, his co-aces with matching $43.3 million annual salaries?

For the Rangers, the answer was yes, even with the complications of Scherzer's full no-trade clause and a player option for the 2024 season. The Rangers' aggressiveness, illustrated in market-rocking free agent deals with Seager, Semien and deGrom over the previous two offseasons, is a feature, not a bug. When they like, they pounce.

And they really liked Scherzer. Future Hall of Famer, three-time Cy Young Award winner, owner of more strikeouts than anyone since his 2008 debut, Scherzer, now 39, remains a formidable force, throwing as hard as he did a decade ago."

" On July 27, he started receiving text messages from players on other teams, including Texas, each a different spin of the same sentiment: We want to trade for you, and you should waive your no-trade clause and come here. Scherzer couldn't help but be caught off-guard by the entreaties. He liked playing for the Mets. He signed with the team in 2022 to signal a new era under Cohen. He didn't want to leave. He wanted to win in New York.

Later that day, when the Mets traded reliever David Robertson to the Miami Marlins, Scherzer sought a meeting with Cohen for clarity about the team's plans going forward. On July 28, Cohen informed him the team was not planning a free agent spending spree this winter -- certainly, nothing like the $498.1 million they guaranteed in the 2022-23 offseason -- and was targeting 2025 as the beginning of its next window. At that point, Scherzer decided he would not stand in the way of a deal that landed him in a desirable spot."

" Meanwhile, the starting-pitching market was thinning out quickly. After deciding not to trade Ohtani, the Angels had acquired right-hander Lucas Giolito from the Chicago White Sox, who also moved right-hander Lance Lynn to the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Chicago Cubs, who were just two games ahead of the Mets at the start of July, surged into contention and decided not to trade right-hander Marcus Stroman. The Boston Red Sox were noncommittal on dealing left-hander James Paxton. The Detroit Tigers' price on left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez was too rich. Texas was ready to pounce, and the Rangers preferred Scherzer to Verlander, whose contract included a player option for 2025, his age-42 season.

Scherzer waived his no-trade clause to play for a team he thought could win the World Series. Ron Jenkins/Getty Images
For a starter of Scherzer's caliber, they were willing to deal Luisangel Acuña, a 21-year-old middle infielder at Double-A and brother of Mets tormenter and NL MVP favorite Ronald Acuña Jr. They haggled over how much money would accompany Scherzer in a potential deal, and the landing spot was a staggering number: The Mets would pay $35.51 million of the $58.01 million owed to Scherzer through 2024. The Rangers would cover $10 million for the final two months this season and just $12.5 million for all of next year -- the typical cost of a season for a decent reliever, not Max Scherzer.

The two teams agreed to the framework of the deal late night July 28, about 24 hours after Robertson was traded. It was still contingent on two things: Scherzer waiving his no-trade clause and opting into his player option for 2024, which Texas considered a must to give up Acuña."

aggietony2010
AG
JohnnyTexAg1995 said:

aggietony2010 said:

Without fail. Every day.
im gunna be honest, I'm on the app and I was keeping up with y'all's thread during your game at work and went to post on the Astros thread and forgot it was open cause I never hop on y'all's, sorry for the mistake that's why I deleted right away! Good luck to y'all and thanks for looking up my posting history to shut on me I confess I'm an Astros fan haha good luck the rest of the year!

No worries. It's just funny how frequently it happens. I was thinking multiple streaks might be snapped today, but you kept one alive for us.
JohnnyTexAg1995
aggietony2010 said:

JohnnyTexAg1995 said:

aggietony2010 said:

Without fail. Every day.

No worries. It's just funny how frequently it happens. I was thinking multiple streaks might be snapped today, but you kept one alive for us.
it's ever since I started using the app I have to get used to how it keeps the last thread open instead of refreshing but no worries it honestly more fun y'all are better now, last couple years sucked for the rivalry!
Gig 'Em and God Bless
CampingAg
AG
Some of you saying you don't like "punting" these games against bad teams. Would you rather everyone play today (still no guarantee we win), and rest players against a much better SF team at a very tough place to play?

Same with the Cardinals/Rays back to back series. Would you rather not have your better players against a bad team or a good team? Logic says the former.

I tend to have an old school "if the game is on the schedule you play" mindset too. But it's not hard to see that other than a rare exception the days of guys playing all 162 is over. IMO the most unbreakable record in sports is the Iron Man streak.
CampingAg
AG
Also, I don't remember where I saw this early in the year, but I seem to remember reading something saying that Seager's off days will always be full off days. No pinch hitting.
alvtimes
CampingAg said:

Some of you saying you don't like "punting" these games against bad teams. Would you rather everyone play today (still no guarantee we win), and rest players against a much better SF team at a very tough place to play?

Same with the Cardinals/Rays back to back series. Would you rather not have your better players against a bad team or a good team? Logic says the former.

I tend to have an old school "if the game is on the schedule you play" mindset too. But it's not hard to see that other than a rare exception the days of guys playing all 162 is over. IMO the most unbreakable record in sports is the Iron Man streak.

Im not going to try and backtrack to the Cards/Rays series… but in todays instance… day off tomorro, no travel and Im assuming whoever posted Rangers arent even changing hotels is correct so tomorro is 100% off day.
Sure the Rangers had plenty of talent left on field to win…. but in a game that is very mental…. I just wonder about the mindset of the "stars" still playing when others are given a day off.
Semien 0-3
Adolis 0-3
Taveras 0-4
Lowe 0-4
Peter Klaven
AG
Bochy said pregame that they would basically do everything possible to avoid putting Seager in the game. Barring multiple injuries or extended extra innings I do think he will be fully off in the future.
Baby Billy
AG
JP Martinez getting the call up
PatriotAg02
AG
Bizarro Jerry said:

Wonder who he replaces?
MrCoachEricTaylor
Bizarro Jerry said:

Let's go!!!!!
CampingAg
AG
alvtimes said:

CampingAg said:

Im not going to try and backtrack to the Cards/Rays series… but in todays instance… day off tomorro, no travel and Im assuming whoever posted Rangers arent even changing hotels is correct so tomorro is 100% off day.
Sure the Rangers had plenty of talent left on field to win…. but in a game that is very mental…. I just wonder about the mindset of the "stars" still playing when others are given a day off.
Semien 0-3
Adolis 0-3
Taveras 0-4
Lowe 0-4
That's why they do it. You get two off days for the price of one. Every team does it. Again, I like guys who play 162 on principle. But it's just not a thing anymore.
DallasAg 94
PatriotAg02 said:

Bizarro Jerry said:

Wonder who he replaces?
Saw he might get called up earlier today and trying to see whom they might move.

Since he isn't on the 40, I think someone like Cole Winn might find himself having some tough conversations with the Rangers.

I think Huff gets sent down, now that Hedges has joined the team and seems to have settled in. That or Ornelas.
gigem1223
Langford was a triple away from the cycle tonight, going 3-3 with a walk. Kid is rocking a 1.370 OPS.
Grapesoda2525
Well this punt looks like it will be costly. Lead about to go down to 2 games when playing Oakland was supposed to help us expand our lead or at least maintain it.

CampingAg
AG
And ten days ago we'd have all taken a two game lead on 8/9 without thinking twice.
gigem1223
Grapesoda2525 said:

Well this punt looks like it will be costly. Lead about to go down to 2 games when playing Oakland was supposed to help us expand our lead or at least maintain it.

There's close to 50 games left. There's going to be several ebbs and flows getting there. It's looking like it's a 2 horse race in the AL, with both teams being in the West. I don't trust Baltimore's pitching at all.
PatriotAg02
AG
gigem1223 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

There's close to 50 games left. There's going to be several ebbs and flows getting there. It's looking like it's a 2 horse race in the AL, with both teams being in the West. I don't trust Baltimore's pitching at all.

They have way more wins than the numbers would suggest. Kind of the opposite of us. Was about time for them to fall back.
Proposition Joe
I don't mind Seager sitting. I mind Garver sitting when he is sitting and we are already shorthanded. At a certain point you are rolling out a "hope" lineup.

Injury sits I'm fine with. Rest sits when these guys won't even get to 120 games is just a waste.
Baby Billy
AG
With Heim set to return next week it will almost certainly be Huff that goes down.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Bizarro Jerry said:

With Heim set to return next week it will almost certainly be Huff that goes down.
im not against that, but I wonder what we would do with Hedges after that. Surely we don't carry 3 catchers.
Grapesoda2525
Bizarro Jerry said:

Still no guarantee of Heim returning.
South Platte
Trust Bochy. Let the man make his soup.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Can't really judge Garver's rest based on total games because he missed so much time to injury. A 32 year old dude who missed 2 months to injury caught 5 of the last 6 days, including the last 3. Super common to give a day game following that activity off
Baby Billy
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Bizarro Jerry said:

im not against that, but I wonder what we would do with Hedges after that. Surely we don't carry 3 catchers.

I think the plan when signing Hedges was to carry 3 catchers. Heim will be back next week per Bochy but batting only left handed.
fc2112
So the only drawback I could see to pinch hitting Seager there is that he would have to go int the field for the bottom of the ninth if they tied of took the lead.

I just get so pissed watching Josh f-ing Smith up there with the game on the line.

From here on out, everytime Seager starts a game, I'll comment "wow surprised to see Seager healthy enough to play."
Baby Billy
AG
I think Bochy is just being extraordinarily careful with Seager knowing how critical he is to our success. Lose him for an extended period of time along with Jung and we're in big trouble.
First Page Last Page
Page 426 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.