*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,384,055 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Water Boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hopefully the lack of late game come back wins means we will get a lot of those later in the year. Obviously rather be winning the whole time but would be nice to win a game here and there with some ninth inning magic.
Grapesoda2525
Twinkies up 5-0 on Astros in the 6th.

Would be nice to not lose a game in the standings because of that bull**** home plate umpire. I can't wait to see the scorecard tomorrow.
KT 90
AG

Tksymm7
AG
Walks and WHIP are the two biggest statistics for Jack. He's got the stuff.
TefIon Don
AG
Stros lose, still 3 games up.
Grapesoda2525
Thanks to the Twinkies for being the first team in forever to beat the Astros in a series.

The 6-3 road trip was a great result. The off day comes at a good time with the team getting back from the second longest road trip of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if they are a little flat in the first or second game with Seattle, but hopefully the off day helps.

a lot of home games coming up.
Grapesoda2525
Seattle series sets up pretty well with no Gilbert and no Kirby pitching for the mariners.
Water Boy
AG
June will be a tough month. Go 15-12 and we'll be fine. Anything better and we'll be cooking.
beagle2009
AG
I think the team has showed us up to this point that we can be a bit more bullish than that.
AgsWin2011
AG
Agreed. If we go 15-12 I think we are sitting a couple games back of the Astros at a minimum
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Do we know when he pitches next? Frisco plays the Hooks in Corpus next week and my family wants to catch a game. I'd rather watch Leiter if possible.
Yellerjacket
beagle2009 said:

I think the team has showed us up to this point that we can be a bit more bullish than that.
Maybe. I'm thinking 17-10 is best case considering the teams we are playing.
Grapesoda2525

Would like to see Hernandez demoted more than any other bullpen pitcher at this point. Leclerc has such great stuff and he seems to be doing better. I just wouldn't put him in a high pressure spot or with a small lead.

Would be cool if Anderson and Funkhouser / Duffy could provide most of the needed bullpen reinforcements to where CY wouldn't be forced to make a huge trade and overpay on anything. Some minor trades for affordable or dare I say cheap prospects would be good, but I just don't want to see the team overpay or get screwed, especially when all of those years JD wanted to rebuild thru trades and we couldn't because teams were literally hoarding prospects. Anyone else remember that crap? Seemed like it made the rebuild much longer than it should've been.
Grapesoda2525
Yellerjacket said:

beagle2009 said:

Seattle, @TB, @NY, @CHW, and Toronto look pretty tough.

The AL east series are all very important in my opinion. We need to do well against those teams because the overall record against the east could determine who wins the AL west.

Yankees were banged up when we played them and they will want revenge. We seem to always struggle with the white Sox, especially up in Chicago. We are a much better team than them so I hope that changes this year. @TB and vs. Toronto speak for themselves. Also don't forget that St.Louis has a sneaky good offense.
Yellerjacket
Grapesoda2525 said:

Yellerjacket said:

beagle2009 said:

Seattle, @TB, @NY, @CHW, and Toronto look pretty tough.

The AL east series are all very important in my opinion. We need to do well against those teams because the overall record against the east could determine who wins the AL west.

Yankees were banged up when we played them and they will want revenge. We seem to always struggle with the white Sox, especially up in Chicago. We are a much better team than them so I hope that changes this year. @TB and vs. Toronto speak for themselves. Also don't forget that St.Louis has a sneaky good offense.
Agree with all that. Which is why I think AgsWin2011's prediction of 15-12 is not bad and I think 17-10 would be fantastic and I would be all in at that point.

I haven't looked at the Astros schedule so I don't know what 15-12 would do to us in the standings, but I think we would still be in good shape at the end of June.
AgBQ-00
AG
If we win every series that would put us at 18 wins for the month. So anywhere between 15-20 wins this month would be pretty dang good.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG

Might be even worse than I thought watching yesterday. What other job do you get a pat on the back and huge salary with no questions asked to be 78% accurate?
shack009
AG
That 91% accuracy number seems crazy…

He might have been around 10% correct on close pitches.
Mr Gigem
AG
These scorecards need to result in fines/suspensions
Carlo4
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

The 6-3 road trip was a great result.
That's a 108-54 record end of the year. Winning anytime at a .666 clip is dynamite. We are keeping this pace of play/matching the Astros hot streak, which is just awesome.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Quote:

91% is kind of a blown up number, because it includes the extremely obvious balls and extremely obvious strikes. In reality it's all about the edges of the zone.
shack009
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Quote:

91% is kind of a blown up number, because it includes the extremely obvious balls and extremely obvious strikes. In reality it's all about the edges of the zone.
For sure. I wish there was some more analysis on borderline (read: not completely obvious) pitches.

There were curveballs that were well high that were called strikes and curveballs that were well low and called strikes. Having a batter think the zone could be 4 feet tall is horrible.
Carlo4
AG
Made the top 3.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/37767910/mlb-power-rankings-2023-week-8-rays-dodgers-rangers-top-3
DallasAg 94
For RP help... where would we be if we kept Matt Moore? He is one I'd look at mid-season.

Hope Grant Anderson continues to provide some help.

Funk and Duffy are spares... as are guys we recently picked up like Zack Littell (AAA-27) and Dominic Leone (AAA-31). Great... if we can get some mileage out of them.

Is there still the service time thing, where they will wait until a certain date to bring in someone so as to not start their clock too early?!

We have a number of guys that need to be given a chance. EOY Rule V guys, among them.

I'd like to see guys like Howard (AAA-26), Latz (AAA-27), and Sborz get the chance. They are already on the 40.

Alex Speas (AA-25), Church (AAA-22)... likely after the ASB.

We have enough guys we need to cycle through before we splash with a trade.
Tksymm7
AG
Why they didn't sign Matt Moore again is stupid and beyond me. You bring up a good point too about some rule V guys needing to get a look, even if most guys subject to the rule V draft never move. Speas and Church are the two guys that I think we will see as well. They have elite, triple digit-ish fastballs with tight breaking stuff. Church is already at AAA getting his work in, and I don't think it will be long before we see Speas join him there.

That being said, you will always always always take a proven big league bullpen pitcher over a AA or AAA guy with potential, especially when you are approaching the playoffs.
rbtexan
S
I could see any of the players mentioned being given a shot with the exception of Latz. IMO he'll be DFAd before he'll see the majors with the Rangers. Doesn't throw that hard and currently has an ERA over 8.
Jimbo Franchione
MSFC Aggie
AG
Detective Jake Peralta said:

Might be even worse than I thought watching yesterday. What other job do you get a pat on the back and huge salary with no questions asked to be 78% accurate?
TV weather person.......and 78% is generous
TexAg1822
AG
TexAg1822
AG
Vanasco was DFA'd on the 29th so nice to get something
Tksymm7
AG
Probably a good move. We get a younger prospect and the dodgers get someone who they can tinker with who might be able to help them in the next year.
Tksymm7
AG
A Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy judge did rule that DSG is required to pay the remaining 25% of the contract between them and the Rangers.
AgBQ-00
AG
Tksymm7 said:

A Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy judge did rule that DSG is required to pay the remaining 25% of the contract between them and the Rangers.

Wonder what that means for broadcasts
aggietony2010
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Tksymm7 said:

DSG was hoping to essentially get the contacts rewritten for lower amounts, and the judge said, nope, pay up. I'm guessing things would move quickly from here, they already missed a payment (made a partial one in its place to satisfy the court while waiting on the hearing), so they're basically "in default" as of now.

Looks like it might be a couple more weeks.

94chem
Through the first third of the season, the Rangers were on pace for the largest run differential (396) since the 1939 Yankees.

Their Pythagorean winning percentage puts them at 117 projected wins.

https://www.statmuse.com/mlb/ask/which-mlb-team-had-the-best-run-differential-season

94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Grapesoda2525
aggietony2010 said:

AgBQ-00 said:

Tksymm7 said:

DSG was hoping to essentially get the contacts rewritten for lower amounts, and the judge said, nope, pay up. I'm guessing things would move quickly from here, they already missed a payment (made a partial one in its place to satisfy the court while waiting on the hearing), so they're basically "in default" as of now.

Looks like it might be a couple more weeks.

My feelings on this are mixed. I have Bally, but I know there's tons of folks in DFW who want to watch the team, but can't.

Ideally, it gets kicked to TXA 21 or some other channel everyone has. I think almost everyone has that channel? And they get ranger / mavericks / stars games when there are several different games going at once. I'd like something that nearly everyone can access and doesn't cost anything extra.

If we do have to pay, I'm hoping it's mlb.tv and they waive the blackouts.

Either of those outcomes I'd consider ok. Anything else, could be a disaster.
First Page Last Page
Page 138 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.