***** Baltimore Orioles 2023 Season Thread *****

33,685 Views | 333 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Explosivo12
Tibbers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OriolePete
I think Stowers needs a new stance for the big leagues. I haven't liked the way it has looked from day one. I know nothing about mechanics of baseball, but that has to be what is making the difference because in the minors, he is great. I just feel like it slows his reaction time.
Tibbers
agreed. he looks lost out there and his approach leaves a lot to be desired.
OriolePete
Well that was a tough series. At least we've got Tampa next...
OriolePete
Camden should/better be ELECTRIC tonight and all series long.
Tibbers
Should be but what a win!!
Tibbers
Going 3-3 against the two best teams in baseball is commendable. We could have gone 5-1 realistically but those felt like playoff games and our pitching shined. Let's keep it going against the Pirates.

This team can play!
OriolePete
3rd best record in baseball but still 5 games back of first place lol

What a season this will be!
Tibbers
OriolePete said:

3rd best record in baseball but still 5 games back of first place lol

What a season this will be!

Injuries are mounting for the Rays. Long season and in my opinion this will be the most important trade deadline for the Orioles in their history. Lots of possibilities, will we choose wisely?
Tibbers
Mullins hits for the cycle as the O's defeat the Pirates in glorious late inning fashion. Man this team is good!
OriolePete
2 of the 7 cycles in Orioles history are from the current roster. Yes, this trade deadline is huge and all I can think about is just not messing it up. Good times, rough start so far today.
OriolePete
So I've gone back to premium so I will post a few pictures of my cards I've been going thru and sorting out this weekend. The Machado signed ball actually has a pretty cool story. The ball he signed was actually a ball I caught at a previous Astros/Orioles game that is on the broadcast. My 15 seconds of fame. I have another ball from that game when Mullins made an amazing catch in CF on that weird hill where the flag poles are at Minute Maid park. After he caught it he tossed it to my wife as he jogged towards the dugout (don't worry, it didn't have a phone number or hotel room). I paid a lot for those 3rd base line tickets but it was great being literally next to the dugout. I bought the Mullins auto for $8 right before the start of his all-star season, the Mateo auto I bought right before THIS season for $13 and I traded a $1 card for the Wells rookie card before this season as well, so expect Wells and Mateo both to make the All-star game this season. I love cards but I'm very low budget. Some good Aggie cards...which unfortunately, much like most Orioles cards, are pretty cheap and easy to afford lol but that's all changing!

And yes I guess I followed rule 1 there but who cares. I've talked to her about her eyebrows, don't worry.

Tibbers
Wonderful collection sir! We probably sat near each other during that Astros game. Small world sir! I was there with my family. Amazing to see the O's in person and how thankful we must be that the Astros are in the AL to see the O's every year. Awesome year so far. Here's to the hopeful call up of Cowser now that Torrens was DFA'd and we have an open spot on the 40 man.
OriolePete
OriolePete
Ohtani vs Grayson. This should be a lot of fun to watch.
OriolePete
Also, this is my favorite lineup so far this season.
OriolePete
Nice article on Cano. I knew what he was doing was incredible, but geez.

https://www.mlb.com/news/yennier-cano-breakout-reliever-2023?partnerID=mlbapp-android_article-share
OriolePete
Baker is listed as 6'6" but he doesn't pitch like it. I'm a football coach, and I no very little about baseball. But it seems to me, he likes to throw hard but has no intention to also throw down. I don't know how else to describe it, but he doesn't use his size and the plain his pitches use...I just can't take it.

Ok I feel better
Tibbers
He will get his revenge. If he could locate, he'd be fine. I didn't like going to Baker after him pitching 3 out of 4 days. Cano obviously would be the better choice for many reasons but a big one was he pitched 2 out of 3. These games matter just as much as September. This was a tough loss but credit the angels, Renfroe made an incredible play in right to get Frazier at second. He doesn't make that play and we are going to extras. No point in having Irvin in the bullpen if you have no faith in his ability. He was rested, he could have gone in instead of Baker as well. No faith in him to get the job done. Givens will be on the team soon and that will help the bullpen. Tate will need to fix things before he makes the club but a real numbers crunch as we get closer to July.
OriolePete
The good news is, most of our losses take an incredible effort by the other team or incredibly bad luck for us. I'll take those. I hate Toronto.
OriolePete
O's Hearn
OriolePete
Wow.
Tibbers
Biggest win of the year so far. What an incredible, resilient team the O's. They get production from every player. Different night, a different guy steps up, today it was O'Hearn's day. After getting his first homer in well over a year three days ago, he continues his hot streak today. So damn proud of this team's fight! Fans of baseball should watch this team, they are special!
OriolePete
Jackson Holliday seems about ready for the show. Jk of course but can you imagine the Orioles in 2025-27? Adley, Gunnar, Holliday, Grayson and Cowser?

You know, if I have one worry about this new system, it's that I don't think this formula of baseball ever really allows for big spending, ever. Maybe someone who follows MLB closer than I can tell me different, but if you can find ways to win with an extremely small payroll, why would you ever divert from that? I think maybe you have to tell your fans that more spending is coming, and they'll pay 1 or 2 vets that fit that mold a few extra million maybe for a season like they did this off-season and call it spending.

But, my worry is watching how we handle when our young stars rookie deals expire. Sure, we will re-sign some, but who do we lose to big free agent deals? The other day I was talking to my dad about Mountcastle's 450+ foot blast last month and the first thing he says "I sure hate to think he might be doing that in pinstripes one day..." And it really made me sad to think in a few seasons we will choose to let some future superstars walk . Baseball needs a salary cap by next season lol.

We got the wall moved back, we got rid of the shift, we got rid of the AL East heavy schedule...now we just gotta level the playing field of free agency in our favor and we can win 10 world series in a row!

Have a great Sunday and let's SWEEP CANADA
Tibbers
Swept the Canadians. Gutsy outing by Kremer and the bullpen did their job. Mullins is the best center fielder in baseball and caps a 5 hit night. This team is just getting going too with more in the tank sitting in AAA waiting for an opportunity. I love this team!
OriolePete
Baker and Lopez. I've had enough. If we make no other moves, I just want to swap these 2 in the bullpen for literally any other 2 bullpen pitchers. If we lose, let a team draw even or blow a lead it's almost guaranteed to involved 1 of these 2. We could probably be 36-12.

Small problems to have, but come on. There has to be dozens of 28-30 year old pitchers out of the game that Baltimore can turn into all-stars. It doesn't seem to be very hard...
Tibbers
Game of the year coming back 5-1 and scoring 8 in the 7th. Love beating the Yankees. This made up for last game for sure.
OriolePete
You'd think the Yankees would play in a less ****ty looking stadium. Minor league feel.
Tibbers
2 out of 3 against the Yankees in yankee stadium. Yeah, I'll take that. Could have even had the sweep. We are a genuine playoff team and we are going to get even better as the season progresses. Amazing team.
OriolePete
When Grayson Rodriguez is in all of your fantasy lineups tonight...

So much for those $2. Aim small, miss small. Right?
Tibbers
Yeah that was ****ed lol
OriolePete
I'm convinced these all black uniforms are hurting our pitchers. This is such a terrible idea in baseball. In May, day baseball. First, it's hot. But more importantly, I have convinced myself a pitcher wearing all that black makes it easier for a hitters eyes to find the ball. I never want to see these again. I would love to see the stats in games where one team is wearing all black.

OriolePete
Geez, I'm George Costanza.
OriolePete
Not sure that I've ever seen that to start a baseball game. Strike out the side to start the game, then your first batters single, then a walk. Mountcastle was about 5 feet from a grand slam with 0 outs.

I have a feeling this is going to be a great baseball day...BTHO Vandy!
OriolePete
Notice how much better our pitching is in white? They can't see the ball as well!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.