***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,443,204 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

They benched the game changer from last night in order to stick Grossman in the 3 hole. I know Dusty is special but Bochy seems to be too.

Edit: I know Grossman has good spots vs LHP but he's 3-17 with a sub .500 OPS vs Framber in his career.
BadAggie
AG
For Framber I think the best we can hope for is a start similar to JVs.

Some in the Rangers lineup have hit him, just like some in the Astros lineup have hit Eovaldi.

The best history v a starting pitcher today goes to Yordan v Eovaldi, no other matchup is close.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Lol Dusty.

Dusty never saw his dad sick because back then they didn't have penicillin and they'd just bleed you with leeches to get all the toxic humers out of your body.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
All I do is Nguyen
Today the offense has to put pressure on Eovaldi. Can't let basses loaded end on a Maldy strikeout again
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
BadAggie
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Today the offense has to put pressure on Eovaldi. Can't let basses loaded end on a Maldy strikeout again

Today is the day we need to see Maldy coax a good Framber start.
AggieDub25
bearkatag15 said:

That is probably the worst question I ever heard.

I love this personally. This is the exact type of thing that gets Altuve going. I wouldn't be shocked if he hits 3 bombs today.
Beau Holder
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Yeah if Tucker can't hit and Yordan won't take a walk, it will be close to impossible to win.

I've settled myself down. It's playoff baseball. I'm grateful it's here and I think back to myself at age 12 or even in my early 30s after we got swept by the White Sox in the World Series and how much that me would have given for this me's life as an Astros fan.

Let's enjoy the ALCS! These days are numbered, and when they're gone, they're gone. Root hard and believe. That's all we can do.

Same. I feel fairly zen after last year's run and making a seventh straight Astros League Championship Series. Lot of baseball left to be played in this one and these guys have been here many times before.

I still think the Stros win in 6 but even if they don't, I think next year's team will be better and I'm pleased we are where we are.

I remember being at the omega painful WS Game 3 in 2005 and if you could've told my 14-year old self this is what the franchise would look like a few years later, I'd have been floored.
Beau Holder
AG
AggieJ2002 said:

As much crap as I've given Dusty this year, I love the move of Yordan to the cleanup spot. Worst case scenario for his is that he comes up to bat with 2 outs and no one on base, which has a high probability in the first inning. With Yordan in the 4-spot, we guarantee he comes up with someone on base (unless we've already scored) or else he is leading off the next inning, where a walk could be very damaging with 0 outs, and it's not as comfortable of a spot to pitch around him.

I agree with this, although I don't love Tucker at 3 when he's as much of a non-factor as he's been, but at the same time I get that maybe with Yordan protecting him he may get a jump-start.
agdaddy04
AG
Do we know yet who actually asked the question? I don't recognize the voice. Altuves first response about not understanding the question was perfect. Dude just wanted to sound important
Big Al 1992
AG
Heading to Minute Maid now. Gonna be a great day! LFG! GLF!! Free Mathguy!!!
Farmer1906
AG
aggiederelict
Headed from Austin to the game with my 6 year old son. Any places to get a beer before the game near the stadium that's cool?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Beau Holder said:

Yeah if Tucker can't hit and Yordan won't take a walk, it will be close to impossible to win.

I've settled myself down. It's playoff baseball. I'm grateful it's here and I think back to myself at age 12 or even in my early 30s after we got swept by the White Sox in the World Series and how much that me would have given for this me's life as an Astros fan.

Let's enjoy the ALCS! These days are numbered, and when they're gone, they're gone. Root hard and believe. That's all we can do.

Same. I feel fairly zen after last year's run and making a seventh straight Astros League Championship Series. Lot of baseball left to be played in this one and these guys have been here many times before.

I still think the Stros win in 6 but even if they don't, I think next year's team will be better and I'm pleased we are where we are.

I remember being at the omega painful WS Game 3 in 2005 and if you could've told my 14-year old self this is what the franchise would look like a few years later, I'd have been floored.
I used to give myself the same self-talk when the Rockets fell off a cliff after Hakeem but before Yao/ Tracy.

I would say, go back to yourself in 1992-ish and say, OK, in the next 5-7 years, we will: Win a championship by defeating the Knicks in 7 games. Trade for Clyde Drexler and win another championship, one of the most improbable in NBA history, in which we beat Utah, Phoenix, and San Antonio without homecourt advantage; trade for Charles Barkley and make the WCF again; and trade for Scottie Pippen as well.

Hopefully this basketball post survives any future purges.
bearkatag15
AG
aggiederelict said:

Headed from Austin to the game with my 6 year old son. Any places to get a beer before the game near the stadium that's cool?

CobosQue
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
jkag89

If the 'Stros lose today it is because the baseball gods are punishing us for having the roof closed on such a beautiful day.
Jbob04
AG
Can't ask for better fall weather than today.
Sex Panther
AG
Bioish said:

Per Ken Rosenthal, Yordan was dealing with a virus yesterday. Hopefully he's feeling better today

Did anyone check and see if the Rangers gave Yordan a blanket as a gift?
Blackbeard94
AG

Farmer1906 said:

Lol Dusty.

Dusty never saw his dad sick because back then they didn't have penicillin and they'd just bleed you with leeches to get all the toxic humers out of your body.

I tell you what, I've got a fever, and there is only one cure. More Cowbell!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Blackbeard94 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Lol Dusty.

I tell you what, I've got a fever, and there is only one cure. More Cowbell!
I tried to show my kids that skit on YouTube and they didn't get it. They did like the one with Paw Patrol and Oscar Isaac, and the all-time classic Jingleheimer Junction. Astros related because Will Ferrell was a sports journalism major at USC and roots for the Dodgers, who sometimes play the Astros.
Phrasing
AG
bearkatag15 said:

aggiederelict said:

CobosQue
Are they doing a Fan Fest outside before the game? If so, that would be fun for your son and spot to grab a beer.

Home Plate is literally across the street from the Home Plate entrance, but not sure if kid friendly. It's been a while since I have been.
Texaggie7nine
Yeah, 6 yo will appreciate the games and stuff in the fan fest outside of left field entrance. Beer and food there as well.
7nine
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Prosperdick said:

I guess I'm lucky the Astros lost last night or I would have been banned for posting that ass shot of Bea Caroline.
That isnt Bea...
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CyeERWAxKnX

This is the winners derrire
All I do is Nguyen
Cowboys Neris. I like it

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BadAggie
AG
Pitcher v Batter stats for today's LCS games

https://swishanalytics.com/optimus/mlb/batter-vs-pitcher-stats?date=2023-10-16
BrokeAssAggie
Yordan and Bregman need to have big days at the plate.
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

So basically 50%? Earth shattering
JohnLA762
AG
Maybe he is trying to show that even though it feels like we have already lost, it's still a coin flip?

That is how I interpreted it.
Buck Compton
AG
bearkatag15 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

So basically 50%? Earth shattering
55% =/= 50%…

I mean the fact that 55% of teams go on to win at least 4 of the next 6 games after being shutout is pretty telling.
bearkatag15
AG
JohnLA762 said:

Maybe he is trying to show that even though it feels like we have already lost, it's still a coin flip?

That is how I interpreted it.

My comment definitely wasn't directed at Eastcoast. It was directed at the tweet itself
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

Beat40 said:

AgLA06 said:

TarponChaser said:

I think it's pretty clear Yordan wasn't seeing the ball well out of Montgomery's hand. Rare lefty that Yordan doesn't see & hit well.

Tucker is in a funk- he's back to trying to pull everything.

Except the shot back up the middle Montgomery old.
Seager would have cleaned it up, but yes, it was at least up the middle.
Since the postseason started.

5 pulled
4 up the middle
3 Oppo

IDK what he's trying to do, but I am not sure Tarpon is the best poster when it comes to judging TED.

When he's on, he stays down and through stuff to the opposite field like in this video from the ALDS. When he's off he tends to open up his front shoulder and pull off pitches. Whether it's because he's not seeing the pitch well and gets fooled or he's trying to pull stuff I can't say. But when he's on, he stays connected and shoots those outside pitches the other way. When he's off the cast in his swing creates a lot of weak grounders.

In this one, he stays back on the breaking ball and shoots it to left.

Tucker RBI single to left
Texas A&M
My predictions going forward (nothing earth shattering)...
Game 2 - Astros
Game 3 - Astros
Game 4 - Rangers
Game 5 - Astros
Game 6 - Astros
Prosperdick
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

https://instagr.am/p/CyeERWAxKnX

This is the winners derrire
Thanks for the clarification.
AggieDub25
Texas A&M said:

My predictions going forward (nothing earth shattering)...
Game 2 - Astros
Game 3 - Astros
Game 4 - Rangers
Game 5 - Astros
Game 6 - Astros

Staff trying to save face
First Page Last Page
Page 2894 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.