***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,136,133 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by texasaggie2015
JDUB08AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RED AG 98 said:

agproducer said:

I dumped on DB plenty all season, but I absolutely love that after his initial "heck yeah" reaction, he immediately completes his scorecard right there. Just warms the heart.

He did it too after tucker made the final out in the WS lol
Ag_07
AG
Speaking of Jeter I like him in the studio with Papi and ARod.

It was a really interesting interaction yesterday when they were showing the Pedro v Zimmer brawl and Jeter was pissed saying Pedro should've been arrested for assault while Papi just turned his back and bit his tongue.
RED AG 98
AG
Yep, I probably made the same comment then too.

How can you not be romantic about baseball?
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

It was a really interesting interaction yesterday when they were showing the Pedro v Zimmer brawl and Jeter was pissed saying Pedro should've been arrested for assault while Papi just turned his back and bit his tongue.
Jeter made the perfect comment yesterday before the game. They were talking about Yordan and how good he has been, and the question about how to pitch him came up.

Jeter says "I know how to pitch him." and he just holds up four fingers. Arod and Papi just said "yep".
Bag
AG
agproducer said:

How about we just go with Nolan
SpaceCityAg05
AG
While I agree at looking at the tendencies, the issue with our starting pitching this year has been as much between the ears as it has been physical, ESPECIALLY with Framber. That is why I want Framber pitching in front of the home crowd instead of a hostile crowd.

Javier is a cold-blooded assassin wherever he pitches. Nothing phases him. It is just a matter of his stuff playing or not.

Urquidy is also unrattled. I simply think that duo is well-suited for road playoff starts, while this year's Framber is more poorly suited for it.

With JV, the biggest issue will be whether MLB switches to the juiced balls again at some point during the postseason.
Ag_07
AG
Bag said:

agproducer said:

Wonder if he'll need Maldy to hold his hand and navigate him through such a big moment.
kb2001
AG
Ag_07 said:

Jeter has been good, Papi is good. A-rod still needs to be taken out back and beaten, discarded in a ditch, and banned from being anywhere near the desk
Wabs
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

While I agree at looking at the tendencies, the issue with our starting pitching this year has been as much between the ears as it has been physical, ESPECIALLY with Framber. That is why I want Framber pitching in front of the home crowd instead of a hostile crowd.

Javier is a cold-blooded assassin wherever he pitches. Nothing phases him. It is just a matter of his stuff playing or not.

Urquidy is also unrattled. I simply think that duo is well-suited for road playoff starts, while this year's Framber is more poorly suited for it.

With JV, the biggest issue will be whether MLB switches to the juiced balls again at some point during the postseason.
Framber will be set to only pitch at home. I'm perfectly happy with CJ, Urquidy and JV pitching on the road.

G1: JV
G2: Framber
G3: CJ
G4: Urquidy
G5: JV
G6: Framber
G7: CJ
The Porkchop Express
Nolan probably wouldn't do it. He was great as an Angel, only good as an Astro, and legendary as a Ranger. But he's also a rare gentleman who understands loyalty and wouldn't look like he's supporting one over the other.

Pudge played for the Astros about as long as Dwight Gooden did.

That said, I would definitely try to star power the **** out of them for the home games. Like offer Beyonce $1 million to the charity of her choice to come do it. Or JJ Watt since he just got his jersey retired. Or Hakeem. Lay off the Bagwells and Biggios and Mattress Mac's for a while.

And I certainly don't want this to be the case, but if Mary Lou Retton passes during the WS, you definitely get her kids out there to let her get embraced by the city that loved their mom so powerfully in the 80s.

1876er
AG
Bag said:

agproducer said:

Yeah, when I think of Pudge, I really think about those two weeks he spent on an Astros roster.
Prosperdick
AG
RED AG 98 said:

agproducer said:

I dumped on DB plenty all season, but I absolutely love that after his initial "heck yeah" reaction, he immediately completes his scorecard right there. Just warms the heart.
He did the same thing when we won game 6 of the World Series last year and I commented at the time how much I loved that about him. Just writing that last sentence warms my heart.
McInnis
AG
Bag said:

agproducer said:

How about Berkman? So as to avoid taking sides he could wear a Cardinals jersey.

Wouldn't that bring back some great Ranger memories?
BeaumontAg05
AG
How good has Abreu been at first? Seems like he casually picks a bad throw once a game.
Diggity
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Nolan probably wouldn't do it. He was great as an Angel, only good as an Astro, and legendary as a Ranger. But he's also a rare gentleman who understands loyalty and wouldn't look like he's supporting one over the other.

Pudge played for the Astros about as long as Dwight Gooden did.

That said, I would definitely try to star power the **** out of them for the home games. Like offer Beyonce $1 million to the charity of her choice to come do it. Or JJ Watt since he just got his jersey retired. Or Hakeem. Lay off the Bagwells and Biggios and Mattress Mac's for a while.

And I certainly don't want this to be the case, but if Mary Lou Retton passes during the WS, you definitely get her kids out there to let her get embraced by the city that loved their mom so powerfully in the 80s.

he broke a bunch of longevity records as a Ranger, but not sure how you're qualifying him as "only good' in Houston, when he had a lower ERA (over a longer period) while pitching for the Stros.
Boiling Denim
Dallas Keuchel and Carlos Beltran to throw first pitches in Games 3 and 4 at Arlington
Bag
AG
McInnis said:

Bag said:

agproducer said:

How about Berkman? So as to avoid taking sides he could wear a Cardinals jersey.

lets just have Nolan throw out the FP for every game whether in Houston or Dallas
Prosperdick
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

Nobody pitches well in The Bank. You don't just stroll into The Bank and think you're going to win.

Oops.
Wabs
AG
Just watched a highlight of the last batter Pressly faced. That strike 3 pitch was just ****ing awesome. Shaved the outside black and there was nothing the batter could do. ELITE pitch.
Serious Lee
dodgers fans blaming loss on playoff format, LA sportswriter tells them to look up to the astros.

Quote:

If five days off caused a mortal wound, the Houston Astros would be affected as well. The Astros got the bye last year. They got the bye this year. They breezed through the division series both times.

Quote:

The Astros swept the ALCS last year, sat for four days, then won the World Series. In 2019, the Washington Nationals swept the NLCS, sat for six days, then won the World Series.
Quote:

There will be talk about how to fix what might appear to be a broken system. Perhaps the wild-card round could be a single day, with the team with the worse record needing to win two games in a day and the team with the better record needing to win just one. Perhaps we await expansion, with two more teams in the majors and two more teams in the playoffs, making for a 16-team bracket with no byes.

Or perhaps there is not a problem. If the Astros can solve this, so can the Dodgers.
spadilly
S

October off days…

Teddy Perkins
AG

Quote:

In this October of chaos, of 100-win teams swept and a winless American League East and lower-seed dominance, there is but one constant. The Houston Astros[url=https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/_/name/hou/houston-astros][/url] are doing what the Houston Astros do, which is to say they are owning the most important month on the baseball calendar.

It's what makes the Astros' run all the more impressive. For seven years -- one short of Atlanta's record eight straight championship series appearances -- the Astros have managed to win at least one playoff series. And as dissatisfying as that might be for those who harbor resentment against the organization for its cheating in 2017, anyone who refuses to acknowledge the Astros' exceptional staying power is just willfully ignorant.
Prosperdick
AG
McInnis said:

Bag said:

agproducer said:

For those who would like to relive it. Here it is. I love Pujols giving props from 3rd base. Only downside, LaRussa happy. Other than that, great highlight!
JYDog90
AG
Ag_07 said:

Let's be fair here...His defense sucks

It's his game calling and staff management that is valuable. That's different than catching, throwing, and framing.

It's funny that JP and Adam one half inning would say "if I were the Twins I would steal on the very first pitch because Maldy is slow to 2nd," and then the next half inning talk say, "the Astros have 8 and 9 up to start the inning so you get to take a breather." And then the next half inning they'd talk about how Maldy is irreplaceable and a weapon.
Wabs
AG
Don't know who has the whinier fan base. Mariners or Doyers?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
JYDog90
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Here's my uneducated fan opinion on the ALCS:

we HAVE to take both games at home. If that means we throw CJ out game 2 then so be it and let Framber take game 3. I know we are better on the road, especially at GLF, but it's the playoffs and anything can happen.

If we split, we need to sweep them at GLF because given our home woes the last thing we need is an anything can happen chaotic game 7.

I believe we can hit Eovaldi, and I know we could hit Sherzer, but the goal every game has to be to drive pitch counts up and get the starters out ASAP so we can get to he BP and wear them down.

Given Framber's fragile mental state would you rather him pitch at home or in a hostile environment?
Prosperdick
AG
With all the "We want Houston" crap does anyone recall if we've ever done that in the last 7 years? Did we ever chant "We want Texas" or "We want New York" or Boston or countless other teams we were scheduled to play.

I guess part of it is we usually take care of business early so we have to wait to see who we are playing so no opportunity to really do it (and last night we were on the road).

Also, the lion does not concern himself with the hyenas and if ever a team that represented a bunch of jack off hyenas, it's the rangers.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
kb2001
AG
Prosperdick said:

With all the "We want Houston" crap does anyone recall if we've ever done that in the last 7 years? Did we ever chant "We want Texas" or "We want New York" or Boston or countless other teams we were scheduled to play.

I guess part of it is we usually take care of business early so we have to wait to see who we are playing so no opportunity to really do it (and last night we were on the road).

Also, the lion does not concern himself with the hyenas and if ever a team that represented a bunch of jack off hyenas, it's the rangers.
I don't remember hearing it before the Phillies chanted it last year.
texasaggie2015
AG
All I do is Nguyen
We have you to thank for this
No matter what
Bag
AG
Prosperdick said:

McInnis said:

Bag said:

agproducer said:

For those who would like to relive it. Here it is. I love Pujols giving props from 3rd base. Only downside, LaRussa happy. Other than that, great highlight!

is this the first ever recorded "Lets Go!" (runner crossing home plate) in a sporting event captured on tv? I often wonder where that phrase originated from

edit: I literally love captain caveman
All I do is Nguyen
I'm calling it the Phillies close out the Braves tonight and the Dbacks upset the phillies in 6 in the NLCS
No matter what
All I do is Nguyen
No matter what
First Page Last Page
Page 2836 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.