***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,141,617 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by texasaggie2015
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JDUB08AG said:

BMX Bandit said:

interesting maybe only to me:

most common ALCS matchup: Yankees v Royals 4 times.

One more against the Yankees and we are tied
won't get to see yankess there any time soon
Prosperdick
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Here's my uneducated fan opinion on the ALCS:

we HAVE to take both games at home. If that means we throw CJ out game 2 then so be it and let Framber take game 3. I know we are better on the road, especially at GLF, but it's the playoffs and anything can happen.

If we split, we need to sweep them at GLF because given our home woes the last thing we need is an anything can happen chaotic game 7.

I believe we can hit Eovaldi, and I know we could hit Sherzer, but the goal every game has to be to drive pitch counts up and get the starters out ASAP so we can get to he BP and wear them down.
Well Framber pitched MUCH better against the Rangers in Arlington than he did in Houston so I like the idea. I have a hard time believing Dusty would do that though.
BadAggie
AG
Prosperdick said:

I went back and watched the highlights of the game last night and listen to the orgasmic call of Lewis' home run compared to Brantley's and Abreu's.

What a joke and you can argue, well, they knew Royce's shot was out the moment he hit it but Brantley's was pretty much a no doubter and when they DO realize it's a homer there still is no change or inflection. Hell, Abreu's 2 run shot broke the game open and yet you would think they were broadcasting from a morgue.

1:21 Lewis HR
2:41 Uncle Mike's HR
5:56 Abreu's blast

Hey it comes with being the favorite

Or the hated, whatever

agproducer
AG
I'm just here for spadilly's off-day gif.
texasaggie2015
AG
Announcers tend to subconsciously feed off the energy of the home crowd sometimes. This may or may not have been the case here, but it happens.
HarryRocket
As someone who doesn't love politics in sports and virtue signaling garbage. Can we make game 1 a pride night?
Bag
AG
This series hinges on what Framber we get
Buck Compton
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

You definitely want to start with JV and Framber because it sets up the best configuration for the road games with Javier, Urquidy, and JV.

That gets both Crmaber starts at MMP and leaves Javier for Game 7 if needed. You don't want Framber on the road with his tendency to get rattled/overamped.
People make too much out of home/away for pitchers. It has more to do with ballpark shape/distances and pitcher type. For example, Framber pitches better on the road than Javier does (both this year and for career splits).

Framber has been slightly worse on the road than at home this year (most likely because of the pitch clock), but his splits over his career basically show no difference between home and away. it's not like he's terrible on the road, either. This year his advantage at home was that he struck out a few more people and walked a few less.

Urquidy gives up fewer homers on the road, but most other stats are even or favor home. Javier is FAR better at home than on the road--both this year and for his career. The real advantage he brings is just being cold as ice in the playoffs for whatever reason.
Prosperdick
AG
BadAggie said:

Prosperdick said:

I went back and watched the highlights of the game last night and listen to the orgasmic call of Lewis' home run compared to Brantley's and Abreu's.

What a joke and you can argue, well, they knew Royce's shot was out the moment he hit it but Brantley's was pretty much a no doubter and when they DO realize it's a homer there still is no change or inflection. Hell, Abreu's 2 run shot broke the game open and yet you would think they were broadcasting from a morgue.

1:21 Lewis HR
2:41 Uncle Mike's HR
5:56 Abreu's blast

Hey it comes with being the favorite

Or the hated, whatever

Very true but I don't seem to recall that flat intonation during the World Series last year and I can't recall the Yankee games but since we swept them there really wasn't much drama. Also, the Seattle series they certainly didn't call any of our bombs that matter-of-factly but obviously they were some HUGE home runs that would sound really funny if they weren't called in an excited fashion.

Hey, I'm thrilled to be the New England Patriots but thought it was a bit jarring the difference from "neutral" announcers this series.
agproducer
AG
Wabs
AG
Y'all do realize this series is going 7, and it will be tied in the bottom of the 9th with Altuve stepping to the plate against Chapman. It's just gotta happen, right?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Please stop. There are 8 more W's to the promise land. Take them however we get them
AggieJ2002
AG
I'm assuming it's pretty much a guarantee that Game 2 on Monday is going to be a day game given the fact that the Cowboys play Monday Night Football that same day
McInnis
AG
The chart fascinates me. I think that pointing out how much of general difference there is between expansion and pre-expansion teams is another way of saying what an advantage big market teams have, because all of those markets were taken before expansion.

When the Astros/Mets/Angels/Rangers came into existence in the early 60s free agency was still over ten years away so it was harder for those teams than the ones that came later. That makes what the Mets did in '69 so literally amazing. Of course they did have help from Spec Richardson and the Astros.
linkdude
AG
agproducer
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Buck Compton said:

SpaceCityAg05 said:

You definitely want to start with JV and Framber because it sets up the best configuration for the road games with Javier, Urquidy, and JV.

That gets both Crmaber starts at MMP and leaves Javier for Game 7 if needed. You don't want Framber on the road with his tendency to get rattled/overamped.
People make too much out of home/away for pitchers. It has more to do with ballpark shape/distances and pitcher type. For example, Framber pitches better on the road than Javier does (both this year and for career splits).

Framber has been slightly worse on the road than at home this year (most likely because of the pitch clock), but his splits over his career basically show no difference between home and away. it's not like he's terrible on the road, either. This year his advantage at home was that he struck out a few more people and walked a few less.

Urquidy gives up fewer homers on the road, but most other stats are even or favor home. Javier is FAR better at home than on the road--both this year and for his career. The real advantage he brings is just being cold as ice in the playoffs for whatever reason.
I think our CF helps Javier out a ton.

Here is his spray chart (LA between 20-40, EV 90+) over the last 3 years, but at Angels Stadium.

A whole mess of balls were outs that could be doubles or homers.
Farmer1906
AG
.622 = 101 win season
Prosperdick
AG
Prosperdick said:

Harry Dunne said:

Boiling Denim said:

PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Correa has to be questioning his decision making by now

Ehh he got his bag and broke the Twins playoff streak. They should be back in it again next year. He could become a Twins legend as well by the end of it
He ain't gonna be a Twins legend.

He's gonna be a player that they remember fondly that gives them 5 years, a couple of playoff appearances and about 600 games before he gets traded at the deadline towards the end of his contract.

Coulda had his number retired for the Astros and been a real legend with all the rings & postseason records.
This is what I'll never understand and I know I'll get the ridiculous comparisons of "Well, if you were making $120K a year and someone offered you $200K don't tell me you wouldn't take it!!!" It's such a stupid take because once you're making 30, 40, 50 million a year it's all about how many generations below you can piss away your money....there really isn't that much a difference, it almost becomes a rounding error.

You know what doesn't become a rounding error? A ring. Multiple rings. Your name in the team's Hall of Fame. Becoming a legend. That s*** is priceless and some guys just never learn.
Adding on to what I said last night and someone this morning comparing Bregman to Jeter, it's a great comparison. If Jeter bounced around the league chasing money rather that loyalty to the Yankees winning titles is he remembered as fondly? Does he make the Hall of Fame? Maybe, who knows. It wouldn't have been the lock it was (396 of 397 ballots).

He almost certainly isn't on the pregame show last night. Of course that doesn't explain PayRod but he is universally loathed and for some unknown reason keeps getting invited back to the booth.
HarryRocket
He had 3,000 hits. I agree he's overated but he's a hall of famer. The only 3k hit guy not voted in first time was biggio and that was because of some sportswriter garbage.

Sorry, rose, arod
Prosperdick
AG
agproducer said:

Did I hear a "no you don't" after the first "We want Houston" chant? Sounds like there was at least one educated fan in Minnesota or more likely a Blue Jay fan that tried to provide a dire warning they all ignored at their own peril.
agproducer
AG
Jeter had 3,465 hits. He would have made the Hall regardless of staying with the Yankees full-time or not.
Farmer1906
AG
agproducer said:

Jeter had 3,465 hits. He would have made the Hall regardless of staying with the Yankees full-time or not.
Agreed. He is an all-timer, but he is also overrated as hell.

He's not in the elite wing of the HOF like Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth. etc.

He's more of a Biggio, Larkin, Walker type.
AgLA06
AG
Wabs said:

Y'all do realize this series is going 7, and it will be tied in the bottom of the 9th with Altuve stepping to the plate against Chapman. It's just gotta happen, right?
Nope. This series is going the way the season series went.

Astros in 5
Prosperdick
AG
agproducer said:

I just wonder how his career turns out if he bounces around playing for teams that weren't winning and had lineups that gave him a lot of protection (and extra at bats) to produce all those hits.

Correa certainly hasn't hit as well since leaving Houston, neither has Springer (who really took a dip this year in OPS). Being part of a juggernaut lineup helps A LOT.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

He's not in the elite wing of the HOF like Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth. etc.

He's a better Cal Ripken Jr (better stats in half the time).

I can't stand the Yankees either, but don't sell him short. It wouldn't have mattered where he played.
All I do is Nguyen
Nah we play WALK if we beat them
No matter what
agproducer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

I absolutely agree here.

He's nowhere near the titans of the game.
agproducer
AG
Fair point. I think he'd probably end up Hall of Very Good. Even though he had the Giambi play, the diving into the stands play and the jump throw -- overall his defense was not that good.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

He's a Biggio type. Larkin didnt have nearly the career counting stats. And IMHO Walker was a product of Coors field and is not a HOF player.
Farmer1906
AG
AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

He's a better Cal Ripken Jr (better stats in half the time).

I can't stand the Yankees either, but don't sell him short. It wouldn't have mattered where he played.
That isn't a terrible comparison. Ripkin just aged in his 30s. From 21-30 he was so so good, especially in '83, '84, & '91. Peak Cal was better than Jeter.

Jeter was just so consisant. One of his best years (2nd highest WAR season) was at age 35. At age 40 he still had a 75 wRC+ and a positive WAR.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

He's a Biggio type. Larkin didnt have nearly the career counting stats. And IMHO Walker was a product of Coors field and is not a HOF player.
Agreed. Jeter is different for longevity. They had very similar primes.

Age 24-35
Larkin - 129 wRC+, 60.0 WAR
Jeter - 128 wRC+, 59.7 WAR
RED AG 98
AG
agproducer said:

I dumped on DB plenty all season, but I absolutely love that after his initial "heck yeah" reaction, he immediately completes his scorecard right there. Just warms the heart.
JJxvi
AG
McInnis said:

The chart fascinates me. I think that pointing out how much of general difference there is between expansion and pre-expansion teams is another way of saying what an advantage big market teams have, because all of those markets were taken before expansion.

When the Astros/Mets/Angels/Rangers came into existence in the early 60s free agency was still over ten years away so it was harder for those teams than the ones that came later. That makes what the Mets did in '69 so literally amazing. Of course they did have help from Spec Richardson and the Astros.

Yeah, I thought about the Big market vs small market stuff too. It does explain like the Mets also having success as an expansion team.

However, there are still significant anomalies that are more than strictly market size. Like Chicago, for example, (both franchises), not doing well at all. And the Angels being far less successful than the Dodgers, Giants, and Athletics, and the Braves doing way better than say the Astros or Rangers (until recently)
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

Jeter has HOF stats without the playoffs but his performance for the Yankees in the post-season is why he's seen as being in that elite wing by a lot of people.

He hit .308 with 20HR, 61 RBIs, and 111 runs in 158 post-season games. He was just clutch in October.
First Page Last Page
Page 2835 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.