***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,141,761 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by texasaggie2015
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Harry Dunne said:

You've got to give Dusty credit for going with Urquidy last night, sticking with Abreu all year and for playing the long game in general.

Haters will say he didn't have a choice, but as he likes to prove to us sometimes, there are always other options out there.

For example, I hate Maldy being out there but we are in the ALCS again and I'm willing to accept that maybe a HOF manager knows more about how the intangibles make a difference in the outcome than a bunch of dorks like me on a message board.
Shut up man. We will continue to curse the old man like we have all season because it works. We can play nice after the season is over. Don't you know how superstitions work
All I do is Nguyen
texasaggie2015 said:

Good morning fellas
Good lord I don't usually go for blondes, but I would make an exception for her
No matter what
nbbob
Costas: 'Is it truly a "World" Series without New York or Los Angeles represented?'

Did he really say that?

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Teddy Perkins
AG
The Porkchop Express
Edit - Teddy said the same thing right above me.

So, not to sow discord so recently after the series was won, but I'm curious what the legion of Maldonado detractors has to say about the adulation he's receiving from Sports Illustrated (see below)

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/10/12/astros-beat-twins-game-4-alds-martin-maldonado

and the fact that Correa unofficially appointed him the series MVP in his post-game interview.

From the article:

Yes, Minnesota led the world in strikeouts on offense. But Correa knows what happened to the Twins' offense is what he saw happen in four previous Octobers with Houston: opponents get Maldonado-ed.

Playing the Astros with Martn Maldonado behind the plate is like walking into a fun house room of mirrors. Nothing is as it seems. Confusion reigns. Houston starter Jose Urquidy makes one start in the past 48 days and suddenly he is Mike Scott, an unhittable Astro from postseasons past. The Twins swung and missed 19 times at his pitches in Game 4, four more than Urquidy obtained in any game this year.

This kind of pitcher whispering has been going on for years. Why have the Astros won four straight postseason series? Here's a good place to start: their pitchers have won the strikeout war, 212155.

"I don't want to give credit to Maldonado, because, you know, he'll bring it up at some point when I talk to him in the offseason," Correa said, shaking his head. "But he knows what he's doing behind the plate. And he knows every hitter's weaknesses and he's going to try to exploit. He pitches against the [hitters'] expected slug.
"He does all that and we knew it and still it was hard to make the adjustments. The way he was pitching backwards ... hitters counts, he will go off-speed and then counts where you throw off-speed regularly, he'll go fastballs up. You know, they did a good job of mixing and matching. We just have got to get better, and we got to have a better plan and there's a lot of things that could have gone better for us and they didn't."

That's my third-favorite Astro!

Prosperdick
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

So, not to sow discord so recently after the series was won, but I'm curious what the legion of Maldonado detractors has to say about the adulation he's receiving from Sports Illustrated (see below)

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/10/12/astros-beat-twins-game-4-alds-martin-maldonado

and the fact that Correa unofficially appointed him the series MVP in his post-game interview.

From the article:

Yes, Minnesota led the world in strikeouts on offense. But Correa knows what happened to the Twins' offense is what he saw happen in four previous Octobers with Houston: opponents get Maldonado-ed.

Playing the Astros with Martn Maldonado behind the plate is like walking into a fun house room of mirrors. Nothing is as it seems. Confusion reigns. Houston starter Jose Urquidy makes one start in the past 48 days and suddenly he is Mike Scott, an unhittable Astro from postseasons past. The Twins swung and missed 19 times at his pitches in Game 4, four more than Urquidy obtained in any game this year.

This kind of pitcher whispering has been going on for years. Why have the Astros won four straight postseason series? Here's a good place to start: their pitchers have won the strikeout war, 212155.

"I don't want to give credit to Maldonado, because, you know, he'll bring it up at some point when I talk to him in the offseason," Correa said, shaking his head. "But he knows what he's doing behind the plate. And he knows every hitter's weaknesses and he's going to try to exploit. He pitches against the [hitters'] expected slug.
"He does all that and we knew it and still it was hard to make the adjustments. The way he was pitching backwards ... hitters counts, he will go off-speed and then counts where you throw off-speed regularly, he'll go fastballs up. You know, they did a good job of mixing and matching. We just have got to get better, and we got to have a better plan and there's a lot of things that could have gone better for us and they didn't."

I would say that's great but couldn't he call the game from the bench? Also, it doesn't erase the fact that he's last in pitch framing and last in allowing passed balls. I also noticed there wasn't any praise about his hitting.

I really REALLY hope he is an assistant coach with the team next year. He'll be freaking 38 next year. Catcher's knees don't last forever.
JJxvi
AG
W said:

kb2001 said:

Furlock Bones said:

this is really a fascinating chart

didn't realize how much the expansion franchises have struggled

Marlins and Rockies -- entered in 1993

Rays and D-Backs -- entered in 1998

very few LCS appearances in 25 to 30 seasons

That chart shows how difficult it was to actually become an established great team in MLB. I realize that by "expansion teams" you really meant the newest ones, but in terms of all expansion teams? The oldest expansion teams have existed for the entirety of the LCS era and for the old teams this is a measure of success only after expansion started. There are only 3 expansion teams in the top half of that chart. The Astros, the Mets, and the Blue Jays.

Conversely, only four of the old era franchises are in the bottom half. The Cubs, Guardians, White Sox, and Twins.

Wabs
AG
Ag_07
AG
I said it before this series started and I stand by it still...

It drove me nuts seeing him back there so much during the season but in the playoffs I don't mind Maldy back there.

I got roasted for it a week ago and I expect to get roasted for it again.
Teddy Perkins
AG

Chris is from Detroit.
Nanomachines son
Prosperdick said:

From the article:

I would say that's great but couldn't he call the game from the bench? Also, it doesn't erase the fact that he's last in pitch framing and last in allowing passed balls. I also noticed there wasn't any praise about his hitting.

I really REALLY hope he is an assistant coach with the team next year. He'll be freaking 38 next year. Catcher's knees don't last forever.

Maldonado will be a Manager at some point no question. At the bare minimum he will become a very well paid analytics guy who directly works with pitchers and catchers. He's created the model to use moving forward for how to combine analytics with a general feel for the game. He would be a catcher's dream to learn from regarding how to call a game from the plate.
Furlock Bones
AG
JJxvi said:

W said:

kb2001 said:

Furlock Bones said:

That chart shows how difficult it was to actually become an established great team in MLB. I realize that by "expansion teams" you really meant the newest ones, but in terms of all expansion teams? The oldest expansion teams have existed for the entirety of the LCS era and for the old teams this is a measure of success only after expansion started. There are only 3 expansion teams in the top half of that chart. The Astros, the Mets, and the Blue Jays.

Conversely, only four of the old era franchises are in the bottom half. The Cubs, Guardians, White Sox, and Twins.

damn the upper Midwest sucks at baseball.
Eso si, Que es
mernaggie12 said:

I thought you do not win a game with solo HRs?
The twins had 2 solo HRs
We had a solo HR and a 2 run HR

Deductive reasoning would seem to indicateā€¦
Big Al 1992
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The following players have never not made a CS in a full season.

Bregman
Tucker
Alvarez
Pena
McCormick
Meyers
Diaz
Valdez
Javier
Urquidy
Abreu
France
Brown

This still blows my mind.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

mernaggie12 said:

I thought you do not win a game with solo HRs?
The twins had 2 solo HRs
We had a solo HR and a 2 run HR

Deductive reasoning would seem to indicateā€¦

Pretty sure that was about the dbacks hitting 4 solo shots against the dodgers.
Sher Thing
AG
Any idea what time Game 1 will be?
Mathguy64
AG
Bregman is the Derek Jeter of the Astros. He's played in the ALCS every year of his career. 7 straight.

That's crazy
Ag_07
AG
Sher Thing said:

I'm guessing prime time

That's assuming that they want to go up against only one NFL game rather than 4+ NFL games
texasaggie2015
AG
We're so spoiled. It's hilarious. And I'm including myself in this too. We ***** and moan all season long and nothing goes our way. This board was just depressing to read sometimes and this team was honestly depressing to watch at times too.

But then we squeak into the playoffs and here we are. Seventh straight ALCS. Seven!

I'm tingly. Let's win 8 more games.
MelvinUdall
Prosperdick said:

From the article:

This is a good article and I don't disagree that Maldonado is a savant with the knowledge he brings as a catcher, at the end of the day, the pitchers need to be able to make those pitches. Urquidy and Javier weren't great this season, and I assume Maldonado went into every game he caught for those guys with the same game plan he brought against the Twins. As I said, it is on those pitchers to make those pitches, Maldy having that knowledge and the feel of the game, but the pitches has to hit those spots.
Ag_07
AG
And jeez this is gonna be a rowdy ALCS both on and off the field.

The bad blood, the familiarity, the story line of the Rangers coughing up the division, Dusty vs Bochy, etc.

This series has the makings of an all time classic LCS.
JDUB08AG
AG
Random thought, but the Brewers are the Astros before 2015.
Deluxe
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38637771/mlb-playoffs-2023-astros-dodgers-braves-division-series
Quote:

In this time when there is bellyaching about the game's playoff format, in which the best teams sit for a week while the laggards fight for their season in the wild-card round, there is the outlier. The Astros illustrated that a bye does not necessarily equal bye-bye.
I love that we're throwing a wrench into Dodgers' excuse-making szn
Wabs
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Random thought, but the Brewers are the Astros before 2015.
I'd say the Orioles are closer than the Brewers are.
tjack16
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Chris is from Detroit.

In fairnessā€¦ this is 7 seasons removed from his Detroit stint. Casual and new fans might not even really know he played for them
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

Sher Thing said:

I'm guessing prime time

That's assuming that they want to go up against only one NFL game rather than 4+ NFL games
I think the ALCS is the only game on Sunday, so it should be primetime . Usually in the past, the only times we've had day games in the ALCS is in the game 3-5 range where MLB is trying to stagger with the NLCS and set up for travel days. Games 1-2 and 6-7 have all been primetime games from what I can remember.
Wabs
AG
My man JP3. One HELL of a play!

JJxvi
AG
Sure we've played in 7 ALCSs but the maximum we could have been in is 11. What happened to those other 4!
Eso si, Que es
EastCoastAgNc said:

Ag_07 said:

Sher Thing said:

I'm guessing prime time

I think the ALCS is the only game on Sunday, so it should be primetime . Usually in the past, the only times we've had day games in the ALCS is in the game 3-5 range where MLB is trying to stagger with the NLCS and set up for travel days. Games 1-2 and 6-7 have all been primetime games from what I can remember.
Games 1, 3, and 6 are games that there will be no NLCS games being played. Games 2, 4, and 5 there will need to be a decision made if NLCS or ALCS is prime time.
Bag
AG
JJxvi said:

W said:

kb2001 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Chart is somewhat misleading as the LCS wasnt a thing prior to 1969
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Chris is from Detroit.

In fairnessā€¦ this is 7 seasons removed from his Detroit stint. Casual and new fans might not even really know he played for them
Castellani is probably the biggest Tiger fan on the planet. He grew up on JV & Miggy.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Games 1, 3, and 6 are games that there will be no NLCS games being played. Games 2, 4, and 5 there will need to be a decision made if NLCS or ALCS is prime time.
game 1 will be prime time.

game 2 likely has 4:00 start time.
Furlock Bones
AG
There it is. "This bores me."

Texas A&M
While we're waiting for some more baseball, here's a good at bat to re-watch.

First Page Last Page
Page 2832 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.