***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,514,800 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

it will be interesting to see if the intentional walk is used as a weapon in games 3 & 4

the Twins can't let Yordan beat them -- have to make Tucker or Abreu do it

likewise the Astros can't let Carlos keep getting big hits -- make the next guy do it
One obvious solution is to bat Diaz behind Tucker.

Chances of that however are slim to none.
W
AG
linkdude said:

and the coaching staff is going next
tjack16
AG
Some lineup changes that need to happen in game 3

- Diaz for Maldy
- Abreu down to 7 or 8 hole
- Diaz in the 5 hole behind Tucker

So essentially

Altuve
Bregman
Alvarez
Tucker
Diaz
Brantley
McCormick
Abreu
Pena
texasaggie2015
AG
iBrad said:

texasaggie2015 said:

True, but one team has played a lot more games there and is a lot more used to dealing with it.

Kind of like our batter's eye, right.
I'm not buying the whole batter's eye thing to be completely honest
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

True, but one team has played a lot more games there and is a lot more used to dealing with it.
The Twins have had just 2 home games all year start at 3pm.
The sun is in a very different spot now vs say in May.
cc10106
Bad Framber plus an inconsistent zone last night was not a good combo. Dude was missing spots left and right.

I'll give Jeremy props for producing last night, but he needs to tone the antics down especially when his team is getting whipped. The dancing was a horrible look for him.

*Also I would like to see Yainer start tomorrow as I'm sure many others here would as well.
Beau Holder
AG
tjack16 said:

- Diaz for Maldy

So essentially

Altuve
Bregman
Alvarez
Tucker
Diaz
Brantley
McCormick
Abreu
Pena

Should happen. Won't.
West Roxbury
Alright. Let's go. Get that first win on the road right out of the gate just like we did in Phoenix in that critical series to end the season. Turn the tables right back on that first game. Let's do this.
redline248
AG
Mathguy64 said:

redline248 said:

Bregxit said:

Framber's cutter has been an enigma this season. If I recall, it has been most effective when he uses it at lower velos. It's when he is pumping it in there at 96-98 that he gets in trouble with it because it flattens out. When he takes a bit off it dances all over.

Again just going off what I think I remember from earlier this year.
One of the guys on broadcast said this about his pitches last night.
Sparky thinks its not a good pitch for him and doesnt know why he throws it.

I know why he throws it Four words: Maldy called for it.
It's a weird pitch for him. Statcast has the cutter as .180 avg, .179 xba, .323 xSLG and 44% whiff, which is the highest whiff on any of his pitches. He only throws it 13% of the time.

Yet, statcast also rates it as a -4 run value, which isn't good. It does have the highest launch angle of all his pitches.

The average velocity on the cutter is 86 mph, but he's ranged from about 82 all the way to 93. There probably is something it starting to suck as he ramps up the velocity.
BadAggie
AG
W said:

linkdude said:

and the coaching staff is going next

Seems apparent.
cc10106
West Roxbury said:

Frok said:

I was at the game last night and I know we sucked but man MMP sure is a dead atmosphere for the playoffs now. I guess we've been spoiled and don't get as excited as we used to.

Well, to be fair, we had a losing record at home. And we gave the fans ZERO to get pumped up for last night.
True but I don't think that's an excuse for the playoffs, especially when a lot of fans will still gladly get out of their seats to do the frigging wave. Too much of a country club vibe at home all season much less last night.
HarryRocket
tjack16 said:

- Diaz for Maldy

So essentially

Altuve
Bregman
Alvarez
Tucker
Diaz
Brantley
McCormick
Abreu
Pena

That's needed to happen all year
West Roxbury
Not excusing it but when you get down 3-0 early and don't rally until late, it happens.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Mathguy64 said:

redline248 said:

Bregxit said:

Framber's cutter has been an enigma this season. If I recall, it has been most effective when he uses it at lower velos. It's when he is pumping it in there at 96-98 that he gets in trouble with it because it flattens out. When he takes a bit off it dances all over.

Again just going off what I think I remember from earlier this year.
One of the guys on broadcast said this about his pitches last night.
Sparky thinks its not a good pitch for him and doesnt know why he throws it.

I know why he throws it Four words: Maldy called for it.
It's a weird pitch for him. Statcast has the cutter as .180 avg, .179 xba, .323 xSLG and 44% whiff, which is the highest whiff on any of his pitches. He only throws it 13% of the time.

Yet, statcast also rates it as a -4 run value, which isn't good. It does have the highest launch angle of all his pitches.

The average velocity on the cutter is 86 mph, but he's ranged from about 82 all the way to 93. There probably is something it starting to suck as he ramps up the velocity.

Seems like it's generally good but when he makes a mistake with it, it's murdered.
cc10106
West Roxbury said:

Not excusing it but when you get down 3-0 early and don't rally until late, it happens.
Understood. Orioles fans still got rowdy yesterday even when down by plenty more runs. Astros fans generally wait for something good to happen before getting noticeably louder. Credit to the Twins for taking the crowd out of it early, but the energy should be better overall.
West Roxbury
Haven't heard too many complaints about Astros home fans, even when when we got swept at home during a WS. So maybe you are on to something. But damn, sure seems hollow to be griping about our fans right now. They aren't immune to human nature. Is it a sin to not be as hungry as Minnesota for Pete's sake?
Wabs
AG
tjack16 said:

- Diaz for Maldy

So essentially

Altuve
Bregman
Alvarez
Tucker
Diaz
Brantley
McCormick
Abreu
Pena
This is the lineup (or something very similar) that we've called for for a few months now. It's just never going to happen. Dusty's "loyalty" to Maldy, Abreu, and vets in general is more important to him than putting the team in the best position to win. It very well may be the reason (or at minimum a huge chunk of the reason) we don't go back to the WS this year. Sad really.
spadilly
S

October off days…

cc10106
I don't think it's a valid excuse in the postseason and defending a title, but we had great attendance this season regardless so fans showed up. At the end of the day it's a minor quibble.
BadAggie
AG
Diaz starting game 3 is what should happen, pivotal game as winner then has two games to win series. Gotta go with best offensive lineup.

Faulty reasoning will be that Maldy starts to get gem out of Javier. The pitching staff has to be full of weak sisters if they need him that badly.
wessimo
AG
AggiEE
wessimo said:

Did he do this because Correa was showboating or something?

Seemed a little strange
cc10106
His acting career is taking off lately; haven't ya heard?
Marvin
AG
Was hoping to see Diaz behind the plate, especially once the starters left the game.

Either the FO agrees with Dusty (big concern) or Toothpick told the FO to FO. Either way, not good.
cc10106
Channeling his inner fellow Houstonian, Patrick Swayze (RIP).
Ag_07
AG
And we give it up with the Framber jerseys?

Wear the orange tops and mash. Seems like those are always our go to in big game clutch situations.
The Porkchop Express
AG
wessimo said:

Someone with more tech skills than me needs to put a Hula-Hoop around him.
AggiEE
Bergman's approach at the plate is that he's smarter than the teacher (ump)

Teacher is kinda dumb most of the time and writes him up even though he's correct.

What Bregman should be doing is protecting more on 2 strike counts. He keeps waiting for the perfect pitch that may not come. Still be patient but don't let that ruin your at bat with a strike out
gambochaman
AG
I hope yall realize that there will be zero changes to the lineup and that maldy will start behind the plate every game this post season, right?
AggiEE
The Porkchop Express said:

wessimo said:

Someone needs to photoshop one of the rising stars twerking in front of him

Or photoshop Pena in that famous gif Harry Dunne uses regularly of a guy grinding a girl, knocking her off the stage
The Porkchop Express
AG
AggiEE said:

The Porkchop Express said:

wessimo said:

Someone needs to photoshop one of the rising stars twerking in front of him

Or photoshop Pena in that famous gif Harry Dunne uses regularly of a guy grinding a girl, knocking her off the stage
Maybe he lost a bet? Really odd choice for Mr. I No Longer Hit Home Runs, Sorry.
Prosperdick
AG
tjack16 said:

- Diaz for Maldy

So essentially

Altuve
Bregman
Alvarez
Tucker
Diaz
Brantley
McCormick
Abreu
Pena
I'd love this lineup and if I'm Dana that's what I press for and when Dusty complains, throw him a bone and swap Chas and Abreu so he can bat 7th and not 8th. But if I'm Dana I'm calling Dusty out and saying "we have final say on the lineup card and Diaz catches AND he bats 5th." If Abreu doesn't like it, start mashing and he can force his way back into that spot.
The Porkchop Express
AG
cc10106 said:

Channeling his inner fellow Houstonian, Patrick Swayze (RIP).
Man now I gotta put Pena in this gif

The Porkchop Express
AG
Solved the first problem.

cc10106
Between that and the boos for Correa (seriously WTH), it was a weird night. Glad this team is back on the road where it flourishes.
First Page Last Page
Page 2736 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.