***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,149,145 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by texasaggie2015
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty much need to win the next two. A split and a game 5 don't bode well for us
bearkatag15
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

When do we see JP France in this series? Will be tandem start with Urquidy for game 4?

Both France and Urquidy were throwing in the bullpen after the game when I was leaving. I'm sure they were just getting work in
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
iBrad
AG
Dubon was 2-7 against Gray with a 2B. Chas was 0-3 with 3 Ks. We could see a change in CF.
wangus12
AG
As streaky as this team has been all year, it seems it's about time for the bats to go cold again
kb2001
AG
wangus12 said:

As streaky as this team has been all year, it seems it's about time for the bats to go cold again
We were at home, where the bats have died every series for the past 6-7 weeks.

Bright spots. Altuve is hitting well, Alvarez hit another HR. Pena has looked good for the most part. Uncle Mike is still a threat every time he steps up. Every AB has been competitive from him.

Bregman is spending more time complaining about pitches than he is trying to hit. He needs to stop watching the edges for strikes, and start looking for balls he can hit. Tucker has looked mediocre, but he hasn't gotten much to hit. With Abreu behind him, they're pitching around him. His main role so far has been to make them pitch to Yordan by being right after him.

Chas is a mystery. He has had some bad ABs, but he's still getting hits, just not when it matters. I'd like to see him moved up to 5 behind Tucker, with uncle Mike batting 6th. It think that would help him get some pitches to work with, and also relieve some pressure knowing Brantley is behind him. He's young, and the trust would benefit him. Abreu is a seasoned vet, and an accomplished player, moving him down to 7th won't hurt his feelings, and he won't be less effective because of it.
kb2001
AG
More on Bregman. He is reminding me of Morgan Ensberg. Morgan had 1 great season, he was an all-star that year and he deserved to be. He was aggressive, looking for pitches he could hit, and he was playing care free baseball. He fell back into his old ways of looking for the perfect pitch and he fell back to being a mediocre hitter because of it.

Bregman can be a great hitter when he is being aggressive and looking for pitches he can hit. When he comes up to bat, I really think his mindset right now is that he's about to get screwed by a bad call, instead of how he's going to drive it opposite field and get on base.

He has a good eye, and his complaints are usually justified, but his mind is a mess right now focusing on that.
tjack16
AG
kb2001 said:

More on Bregman. He is reminding me of Morgan Ensberg. Morgan had 1 great season, he was an all-star that year and he deserved to be. He was aggressive, looking for pitches he could hit, and he was playing care free baseball. He fell back into his old ways of looking for the perfect pitch and he fell back to being a mediocre hitter because of it.

Bregman can be a great hitter when he is being aggressive and looking for pitches he can hit. When he comes up to bat, I really think his mindset right now is that he's about to get screwed by a bad call, instead of how he's going to drive it opposite field and get on base.

He has a good eye, and his complaints are usually justified, but his mind is a mess right now focusing on that.

His approach is usually "work the count, wait for your pitch, and draw a walk if needed". Well last night you can't have that approach once you realize Lopez is just throwing strikes.

After the first time through the lineup, he needed to change his mentality
Ag-in-a-Box
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Oh great, pena may have hurt himself too. What a $#!+ sandwich of a night.

Looked to me like he rolled it on the first base bag on his previous groundout.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
kb2001 said:

So just to be sure I understand. Your opinion on how Bregman should improve is by watching for his pitch and being aggressive but just don't watch too closely because he needs to be aggressive and swing more.
Boiling Denim
We sure stayed on brand this weekend. Verlander dealt and Framber crapped his pants. We left with a 1-1 record and now get to look forward to the less oppressive confines of any road stadium

3-9 at MMP with Maldy catching over the last 12

Runs given up in those games: (7,6,6,11,5,4,6,8,1,7,4,6)

average 5.91 runs allowed

That's not gonna allow for sustained success. there's a clear disconnect between our pitching staff execution and whatever the gameplan is going in
Prosperdick
AG
Boiling Denim said:

We sure stayed on brand this weekend. Verlander dealt and Framber crapped his pants. We left with a 1-1 record and now get to look forward to the less oppressive confines of any road stadium

That's not gonna allow for sustained success. there's a clear disconnect between our pitching staff execution and whatever the gameplan is going in
Just think if Framber started game 1...we'd be in the same boat as the Orioles.

I said earlier starting Diaz at catcher wouldn't have mattered but actually it could have made a difference. Not only do you get a big bat in the middle of the lineup but you might actually get some more calls as Maldy still hasn't learned not to jerk his mitt up a foot to try to "fool" the ump on a low strike that's actually a strike.

Last World Series Javier pitched to a catcher not named Maldy on the road as part of a historic no hitter. I hope Dana is reminding Donkey of that very fact.
tjack16
AG
Boiling Denim said:

I cant stand Maldy trust me… I talk bad about him all the time, but the pitching issues aren't on him. Our pitchers are just insanely inconsistent. They've also sucked the second half of the season when Diaz was behind the plate
houag78
AG
This weekend was a microcosm of the Astros season. Look great, hitting on all cylinders one day; take a big step back the next. Ran into a great pitcher yesterday, so not surprising. Worried that our playoff fate is in the hands of our #3 and 4 starters (vs their 2&3).
The Porkchop Express
Marvin
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

The point, and one I think you know despite the snarky meme, is that the Astros are not even a .500 team at home. No playoff team, no team that won 90 games, should be this bad at home.

Frok
AG
I was at the game last night and I know we sucked but man MMP sure is a dead atmosphere for the playoffs now. I guess we've been spoiled and don't get as excited as we used to.

JDUB08AG
AG
Frok said:

I was at the game last night and I know we sucked but man MMP sure is a dead atmosphere for the playoffs now. I guess we've been spoiled and don't get as excited as we used to.

90s braves syndrome
Farmer1906
AG
Frok said:

That and the game sucked. Twins took the energy out of there.
BadAggie
AG
houag78 said:

This weekend was a microcosm of the Astros season. Look great, hitting on all cylinders one day; take a big step back the next. Ran into a great pitcher yesterday, so not surprising. Worried that our playoff fate is in the hands of our #3 and 4 starters (vs their 2&3).

I'm not sure Framber is a 2 anymore.
CoachAg19
AG
Frok said:

I went to game 3 of the WS in 2017 and it was absolutely wild! I went to several ALCS matchups in the years following that and felt the same way.
However, I went to the WS last year, and it felt like a regular season home game. I even got yelled at by people behind me to sit down in the top of the 9th inning.
Class of 2010
tjack16
AG
Frok said:

The two run Correa double to make it 3-0 sucked the life out of us. Felt like 7-0 at that point

But I do think you're right. My first ever playoff game was ALDS game 2 against Boston in 2017 and that crowd acted like it was game 7 of the World Series. That same year game 6 of the ALCS felt like one too.

Now it just feels like a big game but not "playoff baseball". I think maybe the playoffs are bringing out more casual fans who just want the experience and aren't super passionate? Idk but you're right it does feel different once the game gets started.

It was even a late arriving crowd last night which makes zero sense because it's 7 PM on a Sunday
Boiling Denim
tjack16 said:

Boiling Denim said:

I cant stand Maldy trust me… I talk bad about him all the time, but the pitching issues aren't on him. Our pitchers are just insanely inconsistent. They've also sucked the second half of the season when Diaz was behind the plate
Well that's the conundrum then. If you're admitting the catcher has no impact on the pitching then only an idiot would start the worst offensive catcher when the gap is so wide between the two players.
tjack16
AG
I agree 100%. But it's not me you have to convince
West Roxbury
Frok said:

Well, to be fair, we had a losing record at home. And we gave the fans ZERO to get pumped up for last night.
Deluxe
AG
I tend to error on the side of supporting Maldy but I 100% agree with what's being said above. His "game calling" is only as good as our pitchers' ability to execute.

Last year, sure, let our staff of aces throw to Maldy if that's what they want.

But Framber has not been that guy for the latter half of this year. He was laughably missing spots last night. The Correa double in the first was literally middle middle.

If that's how we're gonna pitch, Maldy being back there doesn't make that big a difference. I'll take Diaz and his bat.

I'll be shocked if Dusty shifts course now. He's gonna live and die with Maldy, although I'm guessing Diaz will start a game in Minn.
Breggy Popup
AG
BadAggie said:

houag78 said:

He sure dropped a 2 last night. A big steaming 2.
MaxPower
Define anymore? He's a bit unusual in that he is either great or bad, but eats innings anyway. Normally those kinds of pitchers can't get to 200 innings. If machete is needed just to keep his head semi-attached, I cringe to think of what kind of knucklehead he will be next year without him. Probably worth exploring an offseason trade to a pitching needy team with a lot of young talent (Reds? Orioles?). Think I'd rather trade him and sign Montgomery. Similar style with less talent but at least you know what you're getting.
Farmer1906
AG
Bregxit said:

BadAggie said:

houag78 said:

It wasn't great, but Framber is easily a 2. Closer to a 1 than 3.

81 ERA-(ahead of Lopez 87)
83 FIP- (ahead of Verlander 90)

That's good for 16th in baseball (min 150 IP)
The Porkchop Express
Marvin said:

The Porkchop Express said:

The point, and one I think you know despite the snarky meme, is that the Astros are not even a .500 team at home. No playoff team, no team that won 90 games, should be this bad at home.

But that's precisely what they are, with an 81-game sample to prove it. The Rangers were 40-41 on the road and they also won 90 games and made the playoffs. Being better at home makes sense, but home field advantage in baseball has never been the advantage it is in the other 3 big sports.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Bregxit said:

BadAggie said:

houag78 said:

It wasn't great, but Framber is easily a 2. Closer to a 1 than 3.

81 ERA-(ahead of Lopez 87)
83 FIP- (ahead of Verlander 90)

That's good for 16th in baseball (min 150 IP)
When he's on and rolling he's a bona fide #1. But mentally it doesn t take much to totally derail him. Bad plays in the field do it. Bad calls by blue do it. Last night that set him off with all the borderline non strikes. That zone was very tight and you could tell he was upset. Then the bunt he didnt field well was the carry over. If he fields that cleanly hes got the easy out at 3B.

I really think he has suffered from the pitch clock more than any pitcher I have seen this season. He just needs to be able to walk around the mound and regroup some times (ok a LOT of times) and he cant do that now. and so little mental things eat him up because he cant leet them go
rak1693
AG
The announcers mentioned the Twins yelling "Ball" after a close call. Correa knows how easy he is to rattle so I'm sure that got to him as well
Cromagnum
AG
Too late to address it this year but we need to figure out why we are so horrible batting at home. Do we need to completely revamp centerfield?
Farmer1906
AG
kb2001 said:

I totally see it.

One had a 9 year career with 14 WAR. The other is in year 8 of his career with a 35.2 WAR.

One has a 116 career wRC+. The other has a 137 career wRC+ Better than HOFers Brooks Robinson, Scott Rolen, Wade Boggs, & Paul Molitor.

One is basically non-existent in the postseason record book. The other leads all 3rd basemen in RBI and HRs.
Ag_07
AG
A #2 is exactly what Framber is

He's good enough stuff wise to be a #1 but until he can dial in the consistency and continue to work on the mental side he won't be an ace that carries a staff.
bodaciousbood14
AG
Cromagnum said:

Too late to address it this year but we need to figure out why we are so horrible batting at home. Do we need to completely revamp centerfield?
BRING BACK TAL'S HILL!!!
First Page Last Page
Page 2734 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.