***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,522,761 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr.Bond said:

PhatMack19 said:

13 pitchers used so far in this game. Will be 14 when Az brings in their closer for the 9th. It's only 6-3

It's astonishing to me the complete over management by managers year after year in the post season

Dusty: "Hold my toothpick"

Mr.Bond
AG
Philly 3rd base coach is worthless
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Post removed:
by user
BadAggie
AG
To be fair Dusty is more of the benign (or malignant) neglect manager in game.

His overmanaging comes with his lineups
Ag_07
AG
fullback44 said:

Is that possible ?

Hold my toothpick...Watch this. - Dusty probably
Mr.Bond
AG
When did praying mantis start playing for Philly
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

ttha_aggie_09
AG
This is awesome! Love it
Beat40
fullback44 said:

Wish we could play the Dbacks somehow …6 pitchers in game 1

Ho Lee Chit..he just said 7 ( they just corrected it from 8) used by Councel ? Is that possible ?
DBacks have their best two going the next game. Gallen and Kelly. Those guys usually go deep into games.

It was a safe gamble to use the bullpen to get out of jams to win game 1 with your best two going in games 2 & 3.
BadAggie
AG
Astros have had interest in Josh Bell wonder if they pursue in off-season
Mr.Bond
AG
BadAggie said:

Unless Abreu is unloaded (which isn't happening) i doubt that

MAGA

Beat40
I don't mind most of the Phillies players, but I want Kimbrel to blow this game.
Post removed:
by user
BadAggie
AG
Mr.Bond said:

BadAggie said:

Unless Abreu is unloaded (which isn't happening) i doubt that

Do they re-sign Brantley?
XXXVII
Phillies fans look very annoying.
Mr President Elect
AG
So, the 3,4,5 & 6 seeds get the W today. Everybody wins!
BadAggie
AG
XXXVII said:

Phillies fans look very annoying.

They got to see a no-hitter in the World Series last year, so kinda envious.
RC_57
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

This is awesome! Love it
I love the "system used for stealing signs"
texasaggie2015
AG
Josh Hader will be the Astros #1 target this off-season
PhatMack19
AG
Pretty solid 1st day of the playoffs. The stupid pitch clock has these games over before 10pm though. I guess I have to go to bed now.
fullback44
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Yes that would be nice but he will be wanted by a lot of teams … we need a closer like him
Mr.Bond
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

What does that mean for Pressly

MAGA

BadAggie
AG
Mr.Bond said:

texasaggie2015 said:

What does that mean for Pressly

Close better, chump.

Prosperdick
AG
BadAggie said:

Mr.Bond said:

PhatMack19 said:

13 pitchers used so far in this game. Will be 14 when Az brings in their closer for the 9th. It's only 6-3

It's astonishing to me the complete over management by managers year after year in the post season

Dusty: "Hold my toothpick"

Everyone knows I'm the biggest Dusty hater around but he managed our bullpen last year in the playoffs like a f***ing maestro.
FrioAg 00
AG
It's true. I always suspected the FO took over during the post season, with the backing of the boss (Crane).

I actually have a lot more confidence in how he's managed the pitching. It's the at-bats and his stubbornness over Maldy that defy logic.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'll echo what you said. Aside from not using Stanek, which he showed some serious command issues that I think he picked up on before we all did, his bullpen use was damn good last year in playoffs.
bearkatag15
AG

Holy ****
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
n_touch
texasaggie2015 said:

. What was the issue in San Diego? Didnt he just refuse to pitch in a game cause it was 4outs?
Prosperdick
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Holy ****

Like I've said before, on low strikes for some reason Maldy thinks he needs to jerk his glove up at least half a foot to try to "trick" the umpire into calling it a strike. The problem is it's already a f***ing strike and if he would just catch it without the histrionics we would get the call probably 75% of the time instead of 10% of the time now.

I'm not sure why this hasn't been brought to his attention and if it has why he hasn't corrected it. It's easy. Just catch the low strikes where they land in your glove.
AggiEE
bearkatag15 said:

Holy ****

Maldy makes great toasts

That's all that matters as a catcher
BadAggie
AG
Maldy threw out mofos when it mattered

Just saying
gambochaman
AG
BadAggie said:

Just saying

Maybe we wouldnt have need him throwing out those mofos if he bad performed throughout the season
Prosperdick
AG
gambochaman said:

BadAggie said:

Just saying

Maybe we wouldnt have need him throwing out those mofos if he bad performed throughout the season
This is exactly it...we all know he will occasionally throw a runner out but how many times a game were our pitchers dealing with hitter's counts due to his awful framing? How many times did those scenarios lead to walks/loud hits that cost us runs that inning?

How many passed balls led to runs that wouldn't have had he just not a lost a step in that department?

We all know Maldy would occasionally run into a pitch and hit it a long way but how many double plays and strikeouts ended innings prematurely?

We'll never know the answer to these questions but I'm almost 100% certain had Diaz caught all year we would not have been sweating it out at the end (and maybe even the 1 seed).
BadAggie
AG
Helps when pitchers are actually trying to hold runners on 1st
McInnis
AG
Prosperdick said:

gambochaman said:

BadAggie said:

Just saying

This is exactly it...we all know he will occasionally throw a runner out but how many times a game were our pitchers dealing with hitter's counts due to his awful framing? How many times did those scenarios lead to walks/loud hits that cost us runs that inning?

How many passed balls led to runs that wouldn't have had he just not a lost a step in that department?

We all know Maldy would occasionally run into a pitch and hit it a long way but how many double plays and strikeouts ended innings prematurely?

We'll never know the answer to these questions but I'm almost 100% certain had Diaz caught all year we would not have been sweating it out at the end (and maybe even the 1 seed).

You've been the best poster on this thread for a while.
htxag09
AG
Prosperdick said:

gambochaman said:

BadAggie said:

Just saying

I don't necessarily disagree with this.

But there is absolutely bias in the awful framing part. Anytime it happens to Maldy it's because he's a terrible catcher. Anytime it happens to Diaz it's because umps suck ass and they hate the Astros (we do typically seem to rank in the bottom percentile on ump scorecards....)

Looking at Baseball Savant, they are pretty similar, which is both being bad. Maldy is 40.6% strike rate (63rd), Diaz is 42.1% (59th). League average is 46.2%.
First Page Last Page
Page 2665 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.