***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,524,261 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLA06
AG
cc10106 said:

I think they'll want Maldy's postseason experience helping pitchers through tough spots, something Yainer doesn't have.
I keep seeing something like this mentioned. How exactly do you believe this takes place specifically?

And why is it any different if he's talking to him on the bench or from the dugout?
bearkatag15
AG
Some series odds for the WC. I like Minnesota a lot.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Ag_07
AG
Huh?

All I'm saying is that in the playoffs I can see how Maldy as leader on the field holds more value than it does over the course of 162 regular season games.

I don't mind him catching as much so long as Yanier comes off the bench to PH in spots where it makes sense.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

And when he sports a .4XX OPS in the postseason like he did in April/March, June, & July?

.522 OSP in 2022 Postseason
.327 OPS in 2021 Postseason

We shouldn't have to overcome his offense when better options are available.

Fair enough

I also think that if we're playing up to our potential we shouldn't need his offense.
But this is the postseason. The other teams are very good. They might be playing up to their potential too. We're not so stacked that we can just out talent everyone this year like we should have in 2019.
Wabs
AG
AgLA06 said:

cc10106 said:

I think they'll want Maldy's postseason experience helping pitchers through tough spots, something Yainer doesn't have.
I keep seeing something like this mentioned. How exactly do you believe this takes place specifically?

And why is it any different if he's talking to him on the bench or from the dugout?
Let Maldy do the mound visits in certain situations. Is this even legal?
AgLA06
AG
Ag_07 said:

Huh?

All I'm saying is that in the playoffs I can see how Maldy as leader on the field holds more value than it does over the course of 162 regular season games.

I don't him catching as much so long as Yanier comes off the bench to PH in spots where it makes sense.
I'm specifically saying "leader on the field" doesn't hold water. Maldy can literally say the same "leadership" comments from the bench as he can from behind the plate. He's not making a mound visit 5 times an inning here for private consultations without the pitching coach. There's no headsets for direct communication between the 2. Hell he might be able to do that with pitchcom from the bench though.

This is nothing but a made up "intangibles" justification by Dusty as to why he wants to play someone he shouldn't.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

This is nothing but a made up "intangibles" justification by Dusty as to why he wants to play someone he shouldn't.

I disagree. I think if there's a time to put weight into intangibles it's playoff time. Hell that's one reason why we're the favorites in the AL. Been there done that counts for something at this time of year.

Again...Not advocating Maldy get all the innings no matter what but at this point I can understand and it's easier to accept why he'll get the playing time he does.
BQRyno
AG
Yup, Maldy's leadership has done a real bang-up job with Framber this season.
astros4545
AG
cc10106 said:

And he never will get it with Dusty managing

spadilly
S

October off days…

Prosperdick
AG
Quote:

I really wish I could give answers as to why Maldy plays so much and why Yainer doesn't.
You don't need to but Dana and the staff better be grilling Dusty over it. He needs to provide answers WITH evidence and not "gut feel" or "veteran leadership."

Last year Uncle Mike didn't play at all in the post-season but he damn sure provided leadership in the clubhouse. Maldy can do that too, he doesn't need to catch every game while we watch him strike out, pop up bunts, and hit into double plays.

There is no room for error and I hope the FO has a "highlight reel" ready of all of Maldy's best drops/passed balls/offensive putridity and force Dusty to watch it like they did in AClockwork Orange.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I just had a vision in my head of Dusty retiring and the Astros announcing Maldonado has been promoted to player-manager and then he starts himself all 162 at catcher next year.
Wabs
AG
Honestly Maldy's defense scares me just as much if not more than his offense - especially in the playoffs where there is no room for error.
CoachAg19
AG
BQRyno said:

This.
I'm not denying in any way that Maldy is a team leader. You can look at the pictures of the celebrations in Arizona and it's clear that he's viewed as such. But it's time to freaking win AT ALL COSTS.

Having said that, I'm afraid we're going to see Maldy take 90+% of the reps at C this postseason with minimal ABs and playing time for Diaz.
Class of 2010
Prosperdick
AG
BQRyno said:

And him catching 85% of the games allowed us to just cruise to the division title.

Also, dude is 39 with a history on injuries like a hernia last year playing the most physically demanding position in baseball.
AgLA06
AG
Wabs said:

AgLA06 said:

cc10106 said:

Let Maldy do the mound visits in certain situations. Is this even legal?
Honestly, I don't know at the pro level. I'm pretty sure it's just mound visits regardless.

You're problem is you're now completely disrespecting the pitching coach in this scenario. But then again comments like this from Dusty have done this all season since apparently Maldy is the only one that can reach our pitching staff. But that's just fan stuff to point out how ridiculous this whole made up justification for playing Maldy really is.
AustinCountyAg
after the first game I expect something like this to happen....Maldy will go 0-3 with 3 K's. Diaz will PH for him and hit a screaming line drive to the LF who makes a miraculous catch. It will be the hardest hit ball of the night.

After the game Dusty will be asked about Diaz getting more at bats after crushing the ball and Maldy struggling with 3 K's and a past ball. Dusty will say something to the effect of "Maldy has the experience. He's proven himself to be leader and the guys look up to him. Diaz just doesn't have the experience." And then he will snap at Chandler Rome and say "Diaz DIDN'T GET A HIT TONIGHT EITHER!", "MALDY IS OUR GUY WHO'S EARNED IT".

Maldy will proceed to hit sub .100 for the remainder of the playoffs.
Ag_07
AG
You forgot the random meaningless trash time HRs Maldy will run into.
jkag89
Can we go back to laughing at Arlington fans and their "non-obsession' of the Astros. I don't think I can take five days of *****ing about Dusty and Maldy.
cc10106
AgLA06 said:

cc10106 said:

I would guess the following:
1. knowing hitter's tendencies/weaknesses/strengths better than anyone
2. pitch selection predicated on #1
3. processing the above factors quickly depending on the situation

Maybe these are specific reasons why certain pitchers trust Maldy more, but Dusty has referred to it recently in postgame interviews albeit without mentioning specifics so I know it factors into things. Again I want to see Diaz out there and worked into the lineup as often as possible. If he starts, even better, but postseason experience matters (which Yainer also needs). We just went 5-1 in two huge de facto playoff series last week with Maldy catching. I think anyone watching could notice they were playing in a different gear especially on defense than what we've been seeing.

It's a safe bet that our postseason success will go as the bats go. Obviously Yainer has pop (and defense) we need, but hopefully we won't have trouble scoring runs and bringing guys home.
AustinCountyAg
jkag89 said:

Can we go back to laughing at Arlington fans and their "non-obsession' of the Astros. I don't think I can take five days of *****ing about Dusty and Maldy.
games are fixing to start. it will be okay
redline248
AG
I'm on a shuttle van in the Colorado mountains or I would do it myself...

Can someone dig up the games played and offensive production Brian McCann had in the 2017 playoffs? Would that be a fair comparison for Maldy?
Farmer1906
AG
jkag89 said:

It only fell off the top topics because we won some games and took our division back.

Now the postseason is basically what a lot have circled as the time the front office and force Diaz in more. We will see if it happens or not. I think the only way Maldy isn't catching 75% or more of the time is if Dana leaves him off the roster altogether.

We have a ton of time to kill. It's a good problem to have. We'll run the gambit on topics and repeat ourselves.
AgLA06
AG
cc10106 said:

AgLA06 said:

cc10106 said:

I would guess the following:
1. knowing hitter's tendencies/weaknesses/strengths better than anyone
2. pitch selection predicated on #1
3. processing the above factors quickly depending on the situation

Maybe these are specific reasons why certain pitchers trust Maldy more, but Dusty has referred to it recently in postgame interviews albeit without mentioning specifics so I know it factors into things. Again I want to see Diaz out there and worked into the lineup as often as possible. If he starts, even better, but postseason experience matters (which Yainer also needs). We just went 5-1 in two huge de facto playoff series last week with Maldy catching. I think anyone watching could notice they were playing in a different gear especially on defense than what we've been seeing.

It's a safe bet that our postseason success will go as the bats go. Obviously Yainer has pop (and defense) we need, but hopefully we won't have trouble scoring runs and bringing guys home.
1) Being behind the plate doesn't change that or impact it. That's basic game planning and pitch sequencing done by every team and every battery before the game.
2) Pitchcom does that from the bench
3) Done by every pitching coach down to little league. No different than positioning players in the field.

All not a damn one couldn't be done ( and probably better since they can access additional statistics and other resources from the bench he can't from behind the plate) no matter where he is.
jkag89
And repeat. And repeat some more. The thing is nothing new is being said over what was discussed ad nauseam all season long.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

I'm on a shuttle van in the Colorado mountains or I would do it myself...

Can someone dig up the games played and offensive production Brian McCann had in the 2017 playoffs? Would that be a fair comparison for Maldy?
McCann

2017 Regular Season
.241 BA
.323 OBP
.436 SLG
.759 OPS

2017 Postseason
.175 BA
.277 OBP
.263 SLG
.540 OPS

Not sure if this is what you're going for but I don't think its a good comparison if its McCann / Gattis to Maldy / Diaz.

McCann was a very good hitting catcher and a veteran presence. He kind of sucked in the postseason in 2017. Maldy's best offensive season was a .729 back in 2012 (rookie season) which was worse than McCann in 2017 on the downward slide of his carrer. 2016 Gattis might have been a good comparison to 2023 Diaz. However, 2017 Gattis was similar to McCann offensively.
Marvin
AG
jkag89 said:

Game 1 starting up soon. Go Rays. My hope is 2 and Q so I don't have to listen to their hypocrisy, false narratives, and general idiocy any longer. Salty tears are the best tears, haha.
redline248
AG
jkag89 said:

And repeat. And repeat some more. The thing is nothing new is being said over what was discussed ad nauseam all season long.
For all you superstitious folk, it should be welcomed. Why change up what works
Project Gemini
AG
Playoff time! Why isnt Diaz playing today?!?!?!?
Ag_07
AG
Can we stop discussing this as a solution?

Maldy won't be calling games with pitchcom and/or coaching from the bench while sorting through an iPad.

It's a waste of time to discuss.

AgLA06
AG
We don't play until Saturday.

So far you and the other guy have asked us to stop talking about the only things there is to talk about (wild card teams and our projected lineups).
Marvin
AG
Loved that graphic... "Texas Rangers: Led division for 160 days, lost division on last day"
jkag89
redline248 said:

jkag89 said:

For all you superstitious folk, it should be welcomed. Why change up what works
Fair enough.
Mr.Bond
AG
I dig tampa wearing the throw backs
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

First Page Last Page
Page 2656 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.